More Closures, Evacuation In Bangkok As Waters Enter

webfact

More closures, evacuation as waters enter

THE NATION

30169104-01.jpg

Flood waters are creeping along major roads in northern Bangkok heading towards the inner city, with the lead influx on Phaholyothin Road reaching Major Ratchayothin mall complex. In the eastern run-off, the deluge is closing on Fashion Island on Ram Inthra Road.

Vibhavadi Hospital at the corner of the highway with the same name at the junction of Ngarmwongwan Road is under 80 centimetres of water and is considering temporary closure. It requested military trucks transfer a number of patients. A city bus terminus in front of Thai Public Broadcasting Service headquarters off the highway has moved away, prompting commuters to rely on a military truck service.

Residents in Sena Niwet housing estate are evacuating in the face of a fast-rising flood while the entire Kasetsart University campus is under water. Central Ram Inthra near Lak Si Intersection has closed indefinitely because of high flood levels, as has a National Housing Authority estate at the Kilometre 4 marker, which is submerged to chest level.

On the Thon Buri side, the underground car park of The Mall Bang Khae is flooded, forcing indefinite closure, while both the inbound and outbound lanes of Phetkasem Road from Sois 1 to 60 are inundated.

A major canal near Bang Chan Industrial Estate in eastern Bangkok is brimming, possibly as a result of leakage through partial demolition of the Klong Sam Wa sluice gate. Pheu Thai MP Wicharn Meenchainant, representing the district, later denied the leakage at this floodgate had anything to do with the Bang Chan estate being put at greater risk of flooding.

Residents near the Lor Lae Canal continue to worry about its swelling, and blame the leakage at Klong Sam Wa watergate, which connects to the canal. Officials manning pumps at the canal said the water was high and rising.

The director of the Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bhichit Rattakul, said a new flood barrier made of jumbo-sized "big bags" would be erected at Rangsit Canal to prevent further inundation within the Don Mueang Airport compound. It could be dry within four days once the water is pumped out.

Each big bag weighs 2.5 tonnes and covers 1 metre. Big-bag walls consist of two types of material filling - gravel and sand. A quantity of big bags are set to be transported from inner Bangkok to Rangsit on a freight train. The 60-kilometre barrier is stretched along a railway track from Rangsit canal to Don Muang.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said flooding on Bangkok's Thon Buri side should last 15-20 days, and commented that flooding in western Bangkok should be allowed, not resisted. "Why should we fight what cannot be fought?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said flooding in western Bangkok should be allowed, not resisted. "Why should we fight what cannot be fought?" "

say it about the other parts of bangkok or about home where you live.

shame, your 1k boats on the chao phraya did not work well

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said flooding in western Bangkok should be allowed, not resisted. "Why should we fight what cannot be fought?" "

Needed editing :whistling:

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

That seems to be a misprint. It should read

"Why should we fight what cannot be bought?" "

If you're like me, your Thai spouse watched the first news reports of the flooding, panicked, made you pack up all your stuff and moved it upstairs, and left town, and is calling you everyday saying it's not safe for you to stay in Bangkok, telling you the water is unsafe to drink, do you really have enough food supplies to get by when the house floods, you won't have time to get out when the floodwaters a raging around your front door, and why on earth did you not follow her out of town when you had the chance. Sound familiar?

I found some information you might share with your spouse/girlfriend/mother-in-law. These are simple informational pieces about flooding in Thailand, why it happens in the Thai context, how it's gotten rid of, and steps one can take to de-stress, filter information from TV, radio and other channels, and think clearly about what to do, and prepare the right response for your area. They are short (less than 5 minutes each) and concise and in Thai language with English subtitles. I wish these were available two weeks ago before the panic began!!

Part 1.

Part 2 http://www.youtube.c...u/0/LY7a88olbek

Part 3 http://www.youtube.c...u/0/cAKhNcAeYp0

Edited by Dibbler

Water inundates Bangkok roads at Major Ratchayothin, SCB Park and Criminal Court

image_201111030954186759310D-DFE5-1B81-8F56F6D7B6ADF05F.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 3 – The massive volume of water surrounding Bangkok continues slowly forcing its way into the heart of the capital from the north, east and west resulting in flooded roads at Major Ratchayothin, SCB Park, and the Criminal Court.

Floodwater keeps flowing into Bangkok -- from Don Mueang, from Pathum Thani via Sai Mai, Klong Sam Wa and Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi and Phutthamonthon-Salaya in Nakhon Pathom.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Wednesday issued evacuation orders for two sub-districts in Khlong Sam Wa --Sai Kong Din Tai and west Sam Wa; Nong Kang Plu subdistrict in Nong Khaem district and Lat Phrao's Sena Niwet Village Phase 1.

The BMA also announced northern Phasi Charoen as a site under close watch for possible flooding.

Meanwhile, the attempt of BMA to repair Khlong Sam Wa water sluice gate was successfully completed without any disruption from the residents.

Don Mueang and Lak Si were 100 per cent flooded, with water overflowing into Vibhavadi Rangsit Road and moving towards Lat Phrao intersection, while traffic was closed for outbound Vibhavadi from Wat Samian Nari because of the deep flooding.

On Phahonyothin Road, water totally flooded the Royal Air Force base, flowed through Kaset intersection to Major Ratchayothin, SCB Park, headquarters of Siam Commercial Bank as was the Criminal Court on Ratchadapisek Road.

In western Bangkok, Bang Khae and Nong Khaem were under water overflowing from Phutthamonthon, Khlong Mahasawat, and Khlong Thawiwattana. Some sections of Phetkasem Road were from 0.50-1 metre under water.

Sandbags which had been piled up as flood prevention dykes to prevent water from overflow into Khlong Prapa along Chaeng Watthana and Srongprapa roads were reportedly dismantled by residents in actions of civil disobedience in 13 locations.

The bad quality of water flowing into Khlong Prapa, the source of raw water to produce tap water for Bangkok residents, reducing the capacity of the municipal authorities to produce household water for the capital.

The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA), however, announced it has repaired the leaks and asked the public not to destroy the dykes as such actions could negatively affect tap water production. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-03

I found some information you might share with your spouse/girlfriend/mother-in-law. These are simple informational pieces about flooding in Thailand, why it happens in the Thai context, how it's gotten rid of, and steps one can take to de-stress, filter information from TV, radio and other channels, and think clearly about what to do, and prepare the right response for your area. They are short (less than 5 minutes each) and concise and in Thai language with English subtitles. I wish these were available two weeks ago before the panic began!!

Part 1.

Thank you. After watching this video, I am now clear on what's going on. Bangkok is being attacked by 50 million blue (and white) whales.

What a cover up. No wonder the Government is reluctant to give information. Run for your lives! ohmy.gif

I think I am not alone in wishing we had some clarification from the Govt on what will be done when, resulting in what and when the he-double L people can start thinking about getting things back to normal.

This min by min Froc updates of 10cm increase here, that road closed there are fine for those immediately affected and understandable. But What is the plan??? Should we be thinking another month of this or 6 months?

Should we start laying off staff now or wait?

So, are things getting worst ?

The extent of the flooding appears to be increasing in the areas near where we live. Here's a link to a video taken yesterday morning:

This area was dry a few days ago.

Very nicely (pro) shot video.

Thing I notice is how very very happy everyone looks, big smiles, thumbs up & victory gestures. Bit strange isn't it ? :D

Part 1.

Thank you. After watching this video, I am now clear on what's going on. Bangkok is being attacked by 50 million blue (and white) whales.

What a cover up. No wonder the Government is reluctant to give information. Run for your lives! ohmy.gif

cheesy.gif the videos are very good, though!

Needed editing :whistling:

get a life travelmann

So, are things getting worst ?

The extent of the flooding appears to be increasing in the areas near where we live. Here's a link to a video taken yesterday morning:

Very nicely (pro) shot video.

Thing I notice is how very very happy everyone looks, big smiles, thumbs up & victory gestures. Bit strange isn't it ? :D

Only smiles for a farang with a camera. People aren't smiling in my area when struggling through the water.

Are things getting worse?

Yes I'm afraid they are. The water running down hill from the north is running slowly because of the flatness of the land. The rivers are full and the land is still draining. Stability will come when the water flowing south matches the water leaving the land into the sea. At present insufficient water is draining into the sea and so it is backing up. It is getting deeper at the barriers.

Therefore the risk of water escaping from designated routes is increasing. An information video suggests that if all of Bangkok was one metre deep in water then the problem would be reduced by about 15%. ( Although the video didnt mention if the flow into the sea was assumed to increase)

A major canal near Bang Chan Industrial Estate in eastern Bangkok is brimming, possibly as a result of leakage through partial demolition of the Klong Sam Wa sluice gate. Pheu Thai MP Wicharn Meenchainant, representing the district, later denied the leakage at this floodgate had anything to do with the Bang Chan estate being put at greater risk of flooding.

What's with Pheu Thai MP's knowing all about flooding, water movement and "it's not our fault". We already had Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul (who had been removed a few days ago from overseeing the relief supplies) threatening to sue anyone who dares to suggest that he might have helped demolish some dykes to help drain water away (from his constituency) :ermm:

In my area, just West of Bang Kruey, the water peaked 4 days ago at 70 cm. Since then over the last 3 days it has been slowly dropping, currently at 64 cm. The water is noticeably moving, the surface speed is 1 metre per 4 seconds.

Excellent vid. In full HD too. You have a very steady hand. I've sent the URL to my sister-in-law who is coming to Bangkok soon. I wanted to show her the lovely sunny weather and the smiling Thai people (despite everything).

In my area, just West of Bang Kruey, the water peaked 4 days ago at 70 cm. Since then over the last 3 days it has been slowly dropping, currently at 64 cm. The water is noticeably moving, the surface speed is 1 metre per 4 seconds.

Haha. For some reason, I had an image of you dropping a feather onto the surface of the water and measuring the speed of the movement with a ruler in one hand and stopwatch in the other. Sorry :D

Haha. For some reason, I had an image of you dropping a feather onto the surface of the water and measuring the speed of the movement with a ruler in one hand and stopwatch in the other. Sorry :D

No need for a feather, plenty of less wholesome objects drifting pastwhistling.gif

water levels will rise and fall depending on who is winning the break or repair the levees. Your gain will be someone else's loss. It seems its better to be in a Phua Thai area as criticism has been levelled at Red shirt priority when it comes to allocation of pumps, opening gates etc. Anything to take advantage of current political power, or to ensure your supporters dont lose faith..

I think I am not alone in wishing we had some clarification from the Govt on what will be done when, resulting in what and when the he-double L people can start thinking about getting things back to normal.

This min by min Froc updates of 10cm increase here, that road closed there are fine for those immediately affected and understandable. But What is the plan??? Should we be thinking another month of this or 6 months?

Should we start laying off staff now or wait?

no

You are absolutely right about how it should be and what the responsible government should do. The pm has twice in a few days declared that Bangkok is now safe and the worst is over. However, she does not have clue, nor does anyone else that should be responsible. And they do not have a plan. The only thing they have are different ministers stating different and contradicting things as facts. Just trying to give an impression that they and the government know what they are doing. And trying to safe face of course. Poor Thailand.

What's with Pheu Thai MP's knowing all about flooding, water movement and "it's not our fault". We already had Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul (who had been removed a few days ago from overseeing the relief supplies) threatening to sue anyone who dares to suggest that he might have helped demolish some dykes to help drain water away (from his constituency) :ermm:

I wonder where the water came from if it wasn't from Klong Sam Wa gate?? :ermm: