Wikileaks founder Assange loses appeal against extradition to Sweden

News_Editor

If he gets elected, would he get diplomatic immunity? I know in Russia MPs had immunity, not sure if that is still the case. Back around 1995-96 there was a pyramid scheme crook named Sergei Mavrodi. The scheme fell apart, many people lost everything and he ran for parliament on the platform of "I can't give you your money back if I'm in jail". He won, got his immunity and never gave any money back. Maybe Assange is counting on something similar? Sweden won't be able to do anything and the CIA will leave him alone. Hmmm, maybe the first one at least.

In the US, as a Senator he would only get immunity if he was performing his official duties when he might have broken the law.

So, if having unprotected sex with a passing acquaintance in Sweden is an official duty of an Australian Senator, then he would have diplomatic immunity.

Maybe the Aussies could provide an answer to the official duty part.

In general, a diplomatic officer in Australia who is a national or permanent resident of Australia will enjoy immunity from jurisdiction and inviolability only in respect of official acts performed in the exercise of his or her functions. This is often referred to as "functional immunity". No other privileges or immunities will be accorded.

Other members of the staff of the mission who are nationals of Australia or permanent residents similarly have only "functional immunity".

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he gets elected, would he get diplomatic immunity? I know in Russia MPs had immunity, not sure if that is still the case. Back around 1995-96 there was a pyramid scheme crook named Sergei Mavrodi. The scheme fell apart, many people lost everything and he ran for parliament on the platform of "I can't give you your money back if I'm in jail". He won, got his immunity and never gave any money back. Maybe Assange is counting on something similar? Sweden won't be able to do anything and the CIA will leave him alone. Hmmm, maybe the first one at least.

In the US, as a Senator he would only get immunity if he was performing his official duties when he might have broken the law.

So, if having unprotected sex with a passing acquaintance in Sweden is an official duty of an Australian Senator, then he would have diplomatic immunity.

Maybe the Aussies could provide an answer to the official duty part.

I don't thinks it's a duty but in North Queensland it's a fair go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You are all suspects now. What are you going to do about it?

The descent into totalitarianism has landmarks. Any day now, the Supreme Court in London will decide whether the WikiLeaks editor, Julian Assange, is to be extradited to Sweden. Should this final appeal fail, the facilitator of truth-telling on an epic scale, who is charged with no crime, faces solitary confinement and interrogation on ludicrous sex allegations. Thanks to a secret deal between the US and Sweden, he can be "rendered" to the American gulag at any time. In his own country, Australia, prime minister Julia Gillard has conspired with those in Washington she calls her "true mates" to ensure her innocent fellow citizen is fitted for his orange jump suit just in case he should make it home. In February, her government wrote a "WikiLeaks Amendment" to the extradition treaty between Australia and the US that makes it easier for her "mates" to get their hands on him. She has even given them the power of approval over Freedom of Information searches - so that the world outside can be lied to, as is customary.

http://www.johnpilger.com/articles/you-are-all-suspects-now-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it

The descent into totalitarianism has landmarks. Any day now, the Supreme Court in London will decide whether the WikiLeaks editor, Julian Assange, is to be extradited to Sweden. Should this final appeal fail, the facilitator of truth-telling on an epic scale, who is charged with no crime, faces solitary confinement and interrogation on ludicrous sex allegations. Thanks to a secret deal between the US and Sweden, he can be "rendered" to the American gulag at any time. In his own country, Australia, prime minister Julia Gillard has conspired with those in Washington she calls her "true mates" to ensure her innocent fellow citizen is fitted for his orange jump suit just in case he should make it home. In February, her government wrote a "WikiLeaks Amendment" to the extradition treaty between Australia and the US that makes it easier for her "mates" to get their hands on him. She has even given them the power of approval over Freedom of Information searches - so that the world outside can be lied to, as is customary.

http://www.johnpilge...-to-do-about-it

What a load of hogwash.

What a load of hogwash.

John Pilger is an award-winning journalist in Australia and is highly regarded.

I think this article is spot on but I would never expect any other reaction from you chuckd cool.png

Edited by midas

What a load of hogwash.

John Pilger is an award-winning journalist in Australia

He is also a well-know, far-left crack-pot. ermm.gif

here we gorolleyes.gif what on earth has his political affiliation got to do with the subject matter of this article?

but he is very good at joining the dotswink.png

Ron Paul for example is considered to be a far right crack pot by some but he is

the only one in the entire administration who speaks the truth and makes sense.

Edited by midas

what on earth has his political affiliation got to do with the subject matter of this article?

Good God man, did you read the article? His political affiliation has everything to do with his views.

By the way, I have read a lot more John Pilger than Ron Paul, but I will admit that both are crackpots.

• Like 1

What a load of hogwash.

John Pilger is an award-winning journalist in Australia and is highly regarded.

I think this article is spot on but I would never expect any other reaction from you chuckd cool.png

Dan Rather was an award winning journalist and look what happened to him.

Pilger's opinions are worth exactly what I paid to read them. Want to guess if they cost me anything?whistling.gif

What a load of hogwash.

here we gorolleyes.gif what on earth has his political affiliation got to do with the subject matter of this article?

Ron Paul for example is considered to be a far right crack pot by some but he is

Just what administration is Ron Paul a member of? In US politics, "the administration" refers to the President's administration and Ron Paul is not part of it.

As for this article, he writes, "Thanks to a secret deal between the US and Sweden". I guess it isn't too secret if some journalist down in Australia knows about it.

Just what administration is Ron Paul a member of? In US politics, "the administration" refers to the President's administration and Ron Paul is not part of it.

As for this article, he writes, "Thanks to a secret deal between the US and Sweden". I guess it isn't too secret if some journalist down in Australia knows about it.

plus The US Centre for Constitutional Rights (CCR) of course - they knew also

http://justice4assange.com/US-Extradition.html

• 4 weeks later...

Bye, bye Assange. He lost his appeal.

LONDON – WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Wednesday lost his legal fight at Britain's Supreme Court against extradition to Sweden

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/30/wikileaks-founder-assange-to-be-extradited-to-sweden-after-uk-court-rejects/?test=latestnews#ixzz1wLlq9shD

LONDON – WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Wednesday lost his legal fight at Britain's Supreme Court against extradition to Sweden

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz1wLlq9shD

He really should wash his socks before he gets on the plane to Sweden. sick.gif

what on earth has his political affiliation got to do with the subject matter of this article?

Good God man, did you read the article? His political affiliation has everything to do with his views.

By the way, I have read a lot more John Pilger than Ron Paul, but I will admit that both are crackpots.

As you were complaining about ability to remain on topic on this page, you apparently cannot follow your own advice.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/30/wikileaks-founder-assange-to-be-extradited-to-sweden-after-uk-court-rejects/?test=latestnews#ixzz1wLlq9shD

Why do you relish this guy's misfortune? The resources spent by these countries based on these bs allegations is disturbing. A women who has repeated sex with a guy and allows him to sleep in her bed several times cannot suddely and well after the fact claim lack of consent just because a rubber was not used during a spur of the moment encounter. Doubtful she remained asleep during one of their sessions and even if she did, to assert he reasonable believed there was no consent under those circumstances is a travesty and no reasonable prosecutor would pursue under normal circumstances. If she got an STD, that is a civil matter and perhaps she should not be so eager to sleep with guys she just met.

Initially, I was like what did scum bag do when saw charges. After reading the allegations leading to the charges, it became evident that the encounter with the girl has little to do with what is going on here. Frickin oppotunist should not be permitted to manipulate any judicial system for political agendas. Too many freedoms at stake.

Edited by ttelise

Why do you relish this guy's misfortune? The resources spent by these countries based on these bs allegations is disturbing. A women who has repeated sex with a guy and allows him to sleep in her bed several times cannot suddely and well after the fact claim lack of consent just because a rubber was not used during a spur of the moment encounter. Doubtful she remained asleep during one of their sessions and even if she did, to assert he reasonable believed there was no consent under those circumstances is a travesty and no reasonable prosecutor would pursue under normal circumstances. If she got an STD, that is a civil matter and perhaps she should not be so eager to sleep with guys she just met.

Initially, I was like what did scum bag do when saw charges. After reading the allegations leading to the charges, it became evident that the encounter with the girl has little to do with what us going on here.

the thing about people like chuckd and Ulysses who can't wait to see him

sent to Sweden ( so he can be sent on to join Bradley Manning - which

is the real issue with them ) is they haven't noticed during their lust for blood

that the appeal has been re-openedgiggle.gif

he aint going anywhere yet

Edited by midas

Maybe you did not read the article. Assange lost his appeal (again). Of course his lawyers will try to dispute it. That is par for the course.

no you are wrong

read the news

I just did. If something has changed, produce a trustworthy link.

Why do you relish this guy's misfortune?

You mean the misfortune of being accused of rape and having to go to court?