Danger From The Flood Emerges As Deadly Green Mambas Escape

webfact

"He urged people to stay away from the snakes and be careful not to be bitten because there was no serum available in Thailand at present to counteract their venom."

So, theres 15 deadly snakes with no anti-venom/venin available in Thailand? Lovely.

If you have mambas or any other snake for that matter, there should be a law requiring serum for that PARTICULAR snake. In zoo's there is always enough serum for every poisonous animal in captivity. Common sense.

Unfortunately these snakes were likely smuggled into Thailand and the smugglers, and the people breeding them in their house in Pak Kret could care less about public safety, nor their own. So no need for them to think about serum. They are driven purely by greed. These animals could probably fetch very high prices in Thailand's underground wildlife market.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"He urged people to stay away from the snakes and be careful not to be bitten because there was no serum available in Thailand at present to counteract their venom."

So, theres 15 deadly snakes with no anti-venom/venin available in Thailand? Lovely.

If you have mambas or any other snake for that matter, there should be a law requiring serum for that PARTICULAR snake. In zoo's there is always enough serum for every poisonous animal in captivity. Common sense.

Unfortunately these snakes were likely smuggled into Thailand and the smugglers, and the people breeding them in their house in Pak Kret could care less about public safety, nor their own. So no need for them to think about serum. They are driven purely by greed. These animals could probably fetch very high prices in Thailand's underground wildlife market.

The owners of the mambas should be identified and made to share limited evacuation quarters with any of the snakes that are caught.

These snakes are native in South Africa, to which Thai Airways has a daily flight. Serum should be available there, so why would it take 3 days to get it from South America?!

Just because the snakes are from South Africa doesn't mean the clinic that produces the anti-venom is also located there.

No sure having anti-venom on hand would matter much if you have been bitten by a Mamba, seeing that you'll be dead in less than an hour.

No panic. Relax. One should be aware, that Thailand is full of dangerous snakes. Vipers, cobras and kraits are as toxic as the mamba. Kraits are deadly within about 30 minutes. The chances to be treated in time are closed to zero. There are tenhousends of them. Everywere. THATS Thailand. 10 green mambas really do not make a difference. The chances they can stay together and breed would be near zero. Cobras feed on snakes. They will take care of them. Like all snakes mambas avoid human contact. They are only agressive when threatened.

What are the chances of actually catching all of these? I hope no one has a bad encounter with these things. And shouldn't they fly the serum in from south America now as there is a good chance it will be needed soon.

I stand to be corrected but green mambas are native to East Africa so <deleted> would they be getting anti-venom from South America for....lost in the translation again....may be should read South Africa ?

Brazil has a unique institution in the state of São Paulo: the Butantã, as it is known internationally in the medical field.

Butantã not only researches and develops new approaches to treat most snake bites in the world, but it also has thousands upon thousands of different types of serum/antidotes stored and provided free of charge to any hospital worldwide.

Unfortunately, most tropical countries such a Thailand, for generations, have preferred to live with the risk of death by venom toxin than to invest in a facility to store antidotes for species known to live in the country.

If Thailand has never, never seriously in decades of terrible floods (I was here in 1995) have summoned the wisdom and know-how of Holland to rid the country of the devastating effects of the floods, what can we expect of the Thai governments in the 21th. century?

Thai hospitals do indeed stock anti-venom for indigenous snakes.

What are the chances of actually catching all of these? I hope no one has a bad encounter with these things. And shouldn't they fly the serum in from south America now as there is a good chance it will be needed soon.

I stand to be corrected but green mambas are native to East Africa so <deleted> would they be getting anti-venom from South America for....lost in the translation again....may be should read South Africa ?

Brazil has a unique institution in the state of São Paulo: the Butantã, as it is known internationally in the medical field.

Butantã not only researches and develops new approaches to treat most snake bites in the world, but it also has thousands upon thousands of different types of serum/antidotes stored and provided free of charge to any hospital worldwide.

Unfortunately, most tropical countries such a Thailand, for generations, have preferred to live with the risk of death by venom toxin than to invest in a facility to store antidotes for species known to live in the country.

If Thailand has never, never seriously in decades of terrible floods (I was here in 1995) have summoned the wisdom and know-how of Holland to rid the country of the devastating effects of the floods, what can we expect of the Thai governments in the 21th. century?

True. But who knows and is able to identify the kind of snake one is bitten by unless he is an expert. Anti-venoms are spezific. If bitten by a banded krait or a viper chances are still lowto zero, depending on the amount of poison injected, to reach a hospital in time. My friend who is running a snake farm, was bitten by a worm size baby viper 5 Years ago and suffered for 4 month in a Bangkok hospital beeing in critical condition for a week. Total cost for the treatment 400 000 Bhat. Anti venoum only works in a very short period after the bite.

For the benefit of all TV members who live in Bangkok, can you be specific and post the names and locations of the hospitals that store anti-neurotoxin serum?

The victims will be out of luck, if Thai authorities order serum from South America because Green Mambas come from Africa. There are two varieties: Eastern (from Southern Africa) and Western (from West Africa). I think different serum is required for each.

Of course they should identify the reptiles correctly and order enough of the right serum, not wait for some one to be bitten. There is a whole family of them and they will probably reproduce.

No panic. Relax. One should be aware, that Thailand is full of dangerous snakes. Vipers, cobras and kraits are as toxic as the mamba. Kraits are deadly within about 30 minutes. The chances to be treated in time are closed to zero. There are tenhousends of them. Everywere. THATS Thailand. 10 green mambas really do not make a difference. The chances they can stay together and breed would be near zero. Cobras feed on snakes. They will take care of them. Like all snakes mambas avoid human contact. They are only agressive when threatened.

Somehow I don't find any of this very reassuring. I hope you are right about the mambas breeding though...

The victims will be out of luck, if Thai authorities order serum from South America because Green Mambas come from Africa. There are two varieties: Eastern (from Southern Africa) and Western (from West Africa). I think different serum is required for each.

Of course they should identify the reptiles correctly and order enough of the right serum, not wait for some one to be bitten. There is a whole family of them and they will probably reproduce.

The problem is not the identification of the escaped mambas. The problem is WHO WILL KNOW for shure it was a green mamba that bit him and not another of the many green snakes in Thailand. Even for Experts it is very difficult to identify a snake bite by view. Just for information: the halfgrown snakes are MORE poison than the adults.

What individual/organization would be in possession of these deadly snakes here in Thailand? If it was a research project, did other varieties of snake escape? They mention they escaped from a flooded building, did they swim out? Much more info could be given to people as to likely habitat for the snakes to go to, normal range, etc.

Reads like Thomas Austin stroke again! That was the idiot who introduced 24 rabbits to Australia. Because the outback is pretty boring down under these fella's had nothing much to do than what grandma called "they're doing it!"

Result of the mass-orgy after 61 hot summers: 400 million more or less innoxious new Australians!

I hope they know better how to entertain the mambas in Nonthaburi. On the other hand- you can obviously get serious bites elsewhere, as the moron who wrote the article in the Nation must have been bitten by a clown!

Ah...don't worry about the snakes...they will be eaten by the crocodiles!

And it is well known the crocs escaped from captivity cannot survive in the wild more than 2 months... So be patient!!

Shouldn't we wait for the sharks, you mean?!

Ah...don't worry about the snakes...they will be eaten by the crocodiles!

And it is well known the crocs escaped from captivity cannot survive in the wild more than 2 months... So be patient!!

Shouldn't we wait for the sharks, you mean?!

Sorry to disagree, but these bread hybride croks are used to feed on dead animals and never learned to hunt. That makes the flodded areas foodparadise for them. There are hundredthousands of drowned animals in these waters and crocs have a very good nose. At least they will be NO THREAT for humans at all for now, as their table is always full. A 'im leo' crok doesnt move, only sleeps and looses any kind of agression. So no worry about croks.....unless you are dead and floating around, or try to ride a crok!

Edited by BinDhumm

Amateur herpetologists in many countries think it is cool to import snakes into countries that are not their natural homes. These are the rugged individual types who really don't give a stuff about anyone else. There are plenty of them around on the fringes of the society they despise. When their plans go awry, it is not their fault and they leave it up to the government they despise to mop up after them. I do not know if this snake escape is covered by the above, but there are lots of instances around the largely, western world.

Amateur herpetologists in many countries think it is cool to import snakes into countries that are not their natural homes. These are the rugged individual types who really don't give a stuff about anyone else. There are plenty of them around on the fringes of the society they despise. When their plans go awry, it is not their fault and they leave it up to the government they despise to mop up after them. I do not know if this snake escape is covered by the above, but there are lots of instances around the largely, western world.

In special markets in Bangkok one can buy and order nearly any kind of animal existing on this planet. Venoumos or not. I wonder were ALL THESE animals go now? Do you belive these 15 mambas are the ONLY venomous snakes that escaped? Not me. Would YOU report to authorities if YOURS escape? If you did, they would propably sue you for EVERY snakebite in the area for the next 10 Years.

Man, I would like to know who this idiot is that raising these Green Mamba. It's look like he is going to sell it or sell it's venom. Thai Press should put out his photos and phone number so we know who the idiot is. As far as I'm concern he just lost his right for privacy.

(Tongue in cheek) It's perfectly okay. These are highly trained mambas that only attack politicians who continually make misleading and erroneous statements. They do not differentiate by party membership or shirt colour. Nothing for the general public to worry about. (whew now I feel better! biggrin.gif)

Man, I would like to know who this idiot is that raising these Green Mamba. It's look like he is going to sell it or sell it's venom. Thai Press should put out his photos and phone number so we know who the idiot is. As far as I'm concern he just lost his right for privacy.

Wont help. Do you really think this is THE ONLY case? The only case REPORTED maybe. Who knows how many reptile freaks like me( only have Phytons and paradise snakes) are within 12 Mio. People and what kind of creatures they host? Nobody has any idea. I live on Koh Samui , population about 50 000 . I personally know 15 holders here. Thats just me. My snakes are 'locals' from my land and NOT venomous.