Latest On Permit To Enter Through Bangkok Airport

Having read lots of comment here about "new" requirements, here is the latest from my arrival yesterday. Booked flight with AirBerlin - they did not want to see any visa or hotel bookings or onward travel. I pushed that question to them several times, just in case. I arrived in Bkk and Immigration gave me 30 days permit to enter without batting an eye. In 30 days I'll go and try to get a double entry TR and report again.

Thank you for your report. What you read about were probably new requirements for getting a tourist visa, no changes have been reported for the use of a vise exempt entry what you are talking about.

Immigration rarely checks if one has a ticket out of the country and leave it up to the airline. Some airlines don't check, others do very strictly.

I'm not sure how airlines are instructed on this point. Air Berlin were baffled by my asking them. I have not used another airline in the last year, but prior to that it was the same - no checking of any visa by the airline when I go for booking or check-in -- even with my old grubby passport full of visa-run stuff. I have a nice shiny new one now ;)

The immigration officer makes a judgement of your appearance when you arrive - so it pays to be "respectable". I have found this on travels all over the world.

As I said, some airlines don't check at all. That are often the budget airlines. Most major airlines, like EVA and Qantas, do check very strict and will leave without one. If you are denied entry by immirgation because you don't meet all "visa" requirements, the airline gets fined and in addition have to take you back to the point of origin.

If you have the flight they will see that at check-in so no need to ask. I have had to go up to station manager level to get on a Thai airways flight some years ago so know they can be very strict. And I was well dressed. In the Philippians they flatly refused to make reservation without a return flight.

This may be an old datapoint but last May during check-in at United self terminal, the process was interrupted and I was instructed to see agent. The agent entered her code and window popped up to check if I have visa or onward ticket. I was holding round trip ticket with return over 30 days. The agent glanced at my retirement extension (disregarded reentry permit) and sent me on my way.

jpinx: simply consider yourself lucky!

I have misc. experiences (myself and others) that Air Berlin checks very fussy and uncompromising!

No return or onward ticket (with a proof) and no visa: NO FLIGHT!

Never heard about change of rules.

If you have the flight they will see that at check-in so no need to ask. I have had to go up to station manager level to get on a Thai airways flight some years ago so know they can be very strict. And I was well dressed. In the Philippians they flatly refused to make reservation without a return flight.

Flew into Bangkok from Manila on October 7th via Thai. Didn't have return ticket or onward ticket at that time. No drama and no questions asked at the checkin counter. Luck of the draw, economy vs business class, who knows. But wasn't asked any questions.