Honda wave 125i PGM-Fi

kohphangan

Also had the same dilemma choosing between the 110i or 125i.... I knew i was after a scooter,did not want auto click or anything completely auto which left me not a lot of options when entering the Honda dealer here on koh phangan.

Having been a rider of motor bikes since the age of 12, being a member of a Motor Cross team (amateur level) trials events also on a Cotton 175cc( just felt my age then) on road bikes large and small last owned here in Thailand a Honda XR400 i was hardly excited about buying a scooter. So then i had my options in front of me the 110i PGM-F1... 3 colors only in stock black,red blue all not electric with start...price of 39,000 baht inc number plates,tax,helmet and a honda jacket this was for a cash deal. In the background was a white 125i PGM-F1 not electric with a price tag of 52,500 baht. I kept looking and looking,going back to the 110i,back to the 125i....and have to say i was confused. When i asked for the deal on the 125i (cash deal again) on the road everything 49,500 baht when i asked do they have electric start i was told 2 months waiting list. It's a 10,500 baht difference (This is koh phangan by the way) so price will be different as in Bkk or for me a better option of Suratthani...but 10,500 baht that's over £200 difference as good as 20% more for pretty much the same bike apart from as mentioned height,length,ground clearance, 15cc more power etc.So ok i am western male with money,but i was really thinking is it worth it??? To a thai national or someone looking after the pennies (Satangs) it does not seem to make sense... I did not test ride either models,to be honest i never even sat on any of them,but did the deal for the 125i PGM-F1 purely on i liked the color of the white looking scooter better unsure.gif I purchased the bike as said for 49,500baht cash on 22nd october 2011 on the road price.

Will of course be running her in untill the 1,000km is reached and has it's 1st oil change etc,but after pulling away from the dealer a smile came,10kms on the clock later i stopped off to watch the Rugby my smile still on..it's not bad rolleyes.gif Leaving to ride for home i went the long way and again i thought this rides quite nicely,sitting up nice and high,very light steering,and so quiet.. At 60-70 kms it just feels like it would go all day all night... Interesting fuel figures given at ready for this..... 56kms per litre rolleyes.gif that's 160 miles per gallon for us old boys.... will let you know what it really gets,on purchase it only came with fuel reading 2 bars and 0.4kms on the clock ( Come on Honda surely a full tank on purchase would not hurt) so after less than 1km i filled her up with 100 baht (full) i have now done 128kms and still reading 3 bars(it's computer led reading) . I guess i will never know if i had purchased the 110i if i would have the same pleasant feelings and saved myself 10,500 baht, i will try to ride a new 110i just to see.... i know many local people who just would not pay the difference,and i am sure one of these who goes for the 110i i can test ride it in time. So far i am happy with what i got...It is WHITE after all rolleyes.gif the color to have apparently,with wind in the hair,flies in your face motorbike feeling with 3years Guarantee for a little over £1000 . Also noticed that Honda have stopped production for 6 Months.... there are hardly any new bikes here on koh phangan now!! And as if we are likely to get any here when it gets going again,makes me think Honda in the south are in for a hard time......... Off topic but my thoughts are with you all in troubled times,to the ones who have lost lives RIP... Thinking of you all from here in the south....... good luck to all kind regards jason

OK... referring to these fuel figures i quoted from what is advertised 56kms per litre.....Well i am not a mathamatition by any way or form,but this does not make sense. I have seen on pc bikes.com they say this has a 3.7 L tank ,on the booklet advertising it,i do not read thai but in the fuel category section to me it looks as though it says 4 L (i am quite happy to be shot down on that one) But when i got the bike it had some fuel in it,i rode less than 1km to fill her up,it took exactly 100 baht to the limit. OK so i have less than 1km on the bike full tank and off i go.The bike is now exactly 2 weeks old today.... Today i went to the same garage pulled in and said fill it up,it took exactly 100 baht to the limit. The price was as good as 42 baht L it gave me just over 2.3 L strange because i have seen someone else comment that when you are down to 1 bar it starts to flash and you have 50km left. This was my case 1bar and flashing my KM reading was wait for it 171kms . Now as said before i am no maths expert, but is not 171 kms divided by 2.3= 74.34 ? I have drove her like a baby,but we have steep hills,yes for every up they say there is a down but am i going wrong somewhere??

• 5 months later...

Hello to anyone that is interested...

My Update on fuel figures that has left me AMAZED!!! In fact my 5 months of ownership since buying new has been a very pleasant one.

I made no mistake with my calculations,this bike has continued to give me every time on a 100baht of fuel 2.5 L here on kohphangan, my worst range being 164km to my best of 174km on the island.Then it gets even better off island!!

I am still in the crazy,stupid system of having to leave the country every 3 months (Non O Visa under 50 being living here since January 2004) which nobody gains from. Thailand why not just increase the Non O Visa price!! ?? At least you get the money! But no every 3 months i have to put my life at risk driving-riding to Burma. I have done this route around the 30 times mark,i WILL NEVER!! EVER!! get in a Visa run mini van again,if i had to do it this way i'm 90% sure i would not be writing this now.

I have in the past done this roughly 600km round trip on a Yamaha TTR 250 Honda African twin 750 and a Honda XR 400 (2006 model) the other occasions in personal cars as profile pic (Now sold) but not on something as small as 125i.

So i thought why not? I'm in no hurry,i like the bike,but enough to ride 300km in one day?

For anyone who knows the route i left koh phangan on the 11am raja ferry,getting off at don sak 1.45pm,i rode not far and stopped to fill up.

I paid 90baht and got 2.3L which was full to the top and headed off,my 1st stop reaching Tesco Lotus Suratthani.KFC coffee1.gif

Leaving to head Bangkok- Chumpon direction i was enjoying the ride,no problems purring along at 65-70km even thinking to myself if i had another 900cc how fast would i want to go?

Anyway i reached the Ranong turn off and on my fuel display had 1 bar reading so pulled over,85baht 2.2L full!! The then beautiful journey for motor bikes begins!!! Oh wait i'm on a 125i so there is a difference? Or is there? I still had a bit of fun on this lovely twisty stretch of road taking the sharp ones at 80km leaned well over,i had fun,safe fun,nowhere at any stage pushing her,hurting her or more importantly hurting myself.

I remember all to clearly nearly over doing one of those twisty bends on the XR400,having fun,but at speeds 140km on the wrong bike for that road,i held the bike not my turn that time! Slowed me down,but not for long,the XR400 not the best for the bends,but Oh can she wheelie biggrin.png

I'm Not a show boater,show off,stunt man by trade,or do i rate myself as a Rossi but have a good track record,over 10yrs riding all sorts in asia,bikes since i was a 12yr old boy in the UK. My only tumble on road being on a Honda VFR 750 back in the UK,my mistake to fast into a bend on a bike i did not know,it was my friends he borrowed my TVR. But that Honda XR in 3rd gear 50km just balance rev balance UPbiggrin.png into 4th at 70-75 into 5th 100km back wheel. I have proofclap2.gif Yeah Yeah well done i hear! 90% of the time this was for me,my benefit,my pleasure with just myself enjoying my time,my bike putting nobody but myself in danger. What i'm saying is!! It was a matter of time before it goes all horribly wrong,for myself(I deserve it!) but maybe for the innocent when that 10% time was when someone asks,i hear your pretty good on a bike? It all goes wrong!! And it will!!

Arriving at Ranong at 20.10 it had been a nice ride,and my back,arms felt the same if i had been on anything else,i'm aged at 47smile.png so a bit tired and ache is to be expected.Yes i know a chopper style would help the back pain,but i can't!! i just can't do it! bah.gif

Next morning up early over to Burma and then the journey back to don sak aiming for the 2pm ferry to koh phangan.I was back on Thai soil after nearly going down in heavy seas and a rain storm that decided wanted to mess my day up,but no worries i felt safe in my captain hands,16-17yr old on his own,and me!! Old boat,no roof,big waves OH My Buddha... Do you want me dead Thailand? Every 3 months putting my life at risk on roads and 16yr old captains to stamp my passport when you have seen i have plenty of money to sustain a FULL year,which is why you gave me the 1yr visa in the 1st place DOH!!

I'm sorry i keep going off topic slightly,but if you happen to read kohphangan was killed by a visa run mini van in a head on,round a bend,up a hill,it was't my fault ok! I was quite happy sitting where i was,spending my money,enjoying my life with friends on the 1yr visa you gave me! Why oh why!!

I set off at 9.45am cruising(Yeah baby) at same speed of 60-70km reaching the 401 junction still on the same tank of fuel with 1 bar reading,i was going to stop but went on about another 30km before stopping and my gauge had been flashing for about 10km. Full to the top 100baht 2.5L. coffee1.gif

It was now 11.35,i had calculated i had about another 160km left in a 2hr 35mins time if i wanted the 2pm ferry,no problem just up the speed a bit.

And the bike did it with no problems,i increased to an average of 100km on the 401 and it felt as comfortable as it had been at 60-70km. I was also keen to see exactly how fast she could go. Still at this stage with the bike now covering 1,900km since Oct 22nd 2011 i have not had the urge to race it through the gears,what's the point? But top end let's see.

The wind was not in my favor,and i'm sure with slightly better conditions it could get better,but this is how it was. I achieved 120km could not,would not,get it past 120km on 2 tries. My weight is 79kg i was not tucked in as in racing style,but lowered slightly (don't want to look stupid) and i have also added a rear large top box but have removed the front basket,everything else is standard.

I arrived back at the same 1st fuel stop just outside of don sak,my fuel gauge was flashing again. I had completed 608 km on 3 fill ups of a total of 275 baht ,on a total of 8.0 L of fuel work it out it's exactly 76km per L.

This is still all a bit confusing as the figures i was told i should expect was 56km L . Have a got myself a freak machine? I see UK models of these kind of bikes achieving about 100 mpg but this is double that and more!!

I really do think overall this is a nice little bike by Honda... this PGM-Fi engine is quiet,can achieve 120km,plenty of torque for up hills,as long as you know when to change gear,and the fuel figures are truly outstanding.

But here we go........ I'm tempted very tempted on a trade in against a Honda CBR 250r rolleyes.gif have seen a couple of 10 month old on the market at 85k and 90k. New i have seen 115-120k quoted? Would be glad to hear from anyone who has one.

Hope this has been of interest if considering a 110i or 125i. Please also note that this was calculated before the fuel increase. On Kohphangan we are now at 46baht L... Who cares what they charge at 76km per Lcheesy.gif

Happy and safe riding

I also have a white 125 I kick start.

I get 50 - 60 kpl with her on it with me in all nearing 200 km

Top speed I have gone is 130 Kph

When my wife drives it alone at 49 kilos she get 79 kpl

and 1 math mistake you made. 56 kpl = 132 mpg

56 x 3.78 (Change to gallons) x 0.63 Change to miles

but still a good bike

I have had mine for 5 months. Have 9000 km on it and have taken it most everywhere. I do have several bikes, which are fun at times. but the wave is my daily driver

I also have a white 125 I kick start.

I get 50 - 60 kpl with her on it with me in all nearing 200 km

Top speed I have gone is 130 Kph

When my wife drives it alone at 49 kilos she get 79 kpl

and 1 math mistake you made. 56 kpl = 132 mpg

56 x 3.78 (Change to gallons) x 0.63 Change to miles

but still a good bike

I have had mine for 5 months. Have 9000 km on it and have taken it most everywhere. I do have several bikes, which are fun at times. but the wave is my daily driver

Hello your calculation is correct,however we do,did? have another calculation.

Being previously from the UK we used a slightly different one being 4.561 so do it again at this we have over 200mpg (Metric Imperial ) . Your wife on it means 226 mpg!! Well done Hondaclap2.gif