Flood Victims Chide Thai PM Over Lack Of Aid

webfact

This situation is very similar to the Katrina Hurricane and the disaster that happened in New Orleans, but on a much larger scale.

In Katrina the US government couldn't even do much about it because there was no protocol in place to handle it. All they did was give out gov checks, and those ended up being spent on frivalous items.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks need to be careful giving the verbal truth to Yingluck, her Red Bodyguards will be taking notes I;m sure

it does harken back to...

"We will act as a bodyguard for the government and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra" : red shirt leader and Pheu Thai Party-list MP Kokaew Pikulthong.

Red shirts will act as the bodyguard for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the Pheu Thai government, red-shirt leader Kokaew Pikulthong vowed yesterday.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Sound familiar?

No - it sounds like an arrogant attempt at demeaning the poor and underprivileged by virtu of your higher level of education and attainment

Since when has a reddish district equalled a 100% red vote?

Pathum/DonMuang is the "reddish" tambol, the citadel of reds headed to Bangkok. You go and ask locals to educate yourself.

She decided to dress her clowns to those coca-cola t-shirts...but even there the welcome was "mixed" (yet few months ago it was different)...now think yourself.

I don't care the exact red percentage now (however it is going down anyway). I don't even care to spell her name - Im too busy with sandbags, sorry.

You do realise that the so called red shirts constitute more of the population of Thailand than any other singularly coloured shirts don't you?

The true majority of Thailand is colorless. They use their daily t-shirts regardles the colors. Go educate yourself.

I don't care about wai'ing trolls - Im out from this discussion to save my time. Too wet here in Pathumthani nowadays, you know....Tooo manything to watch on....and that girl has brought her common cries and tears to increase the flooding, geeezzzz....

@gweiloman: give it up! These moro&s will never listen to reason. They are too bitter, that their beloved poster-boy AV is not in charge.

Oh my...how he would have done so much better.

What would he have done?

Declare SOE and sit back and let the Army do HIS job!

I am never in a million years a red supporter.

But the hatred and the senseless ranting of the yellow and dems- fans are beginning to make me think, that I should be...just for the fun of it!

I understand that Alexakap has had his house flooded and is therefore naturally and justifiably upset and angry at the current government. It is always a soft target as even right decisions will cause pain and grief to some.

The thing that I don't understand is the obsession of the anti reds to blindly and childishly resort to name calling and criticism without any intelligent reasoning behind their posts.

With regards to being a red supporter, are you up to the constant barrage of insults that will inevitably come your way? I'm not even a real supporter, more a sympathiser and even then, I've been subject to personal insults :)

"I don't know if you've come here to help or make the situation worse," shouted a woman who missed out on an aid package because supplies ran out.

seems not much has changed in a month...

Posted 2011-10-10 05:47:32

Poor rating for government relief efforts

Among those surveyed by Abac Poll, 79 per cent said the government's support was insufficient and not distributed efficiently; and 68.6 per cent said the flood relief supplies themselves did not sufficiently meet victims' needs

I was in a taxi yesterday to the flooded area with a friend. The taxi had the red stickers on etc.

As soon as I told the driver where to go he started shouting ai Hia (insult in Thai) ...... I was like whom me??? and he said, no Yingluck and the rest of the government. They are worthless. I used to support them, but now .....

According to him after everything is dry there will be a popular uprising against the government ......

Personally I cannot wait untill that happens :) Karma is a bitch and people finally have opened their eyes.

100% agree, lets send the Government and all the Red shirt leaders of to Dubai and they can all be a happy family.

This situation is very similar to the Katrina Hurricane and the disaster that happened in New Orleans, but on a much larger scale.

In Katrina the US government couldn't even do much about it because there was no protocol in place to handle it. All they did was give out gov checks, and those ended up being spent on frivalous items.

Do you know the amount of the Government checks that were issued? Do you know how many people lost their homes? How many people had to live in the Super Dome? How many people were stranded? How about how many people waiting for FEMA to deliver small trailers to live?

Maybe you think frivalous items bought could be..... Ohh, I don't know... FOOD????..... MEDICINE????? WATER????? CLOTHES??????

You are right.... the US government did not do much about it...not could not do much about it. Maybe mobilize the National Guard, Federalize and mobilize neighboring National Guard Units....use the US Coast Guard more.

Not to mention the funding the RED CROSS....BTW where is the International RED CROSS in all of this? Did Thailand turn them away also?

You're right....it is cruel to rank and rate disasters (aka my collapsed lung and three bullets to my head beats your torn off limbs and sucking chest wound). My point is someone should be doing something ....CORRECTLY!

"I understand that Alexakap has had his house flooded and is therefore naturally and justifiably upset and angry at the current government. It is always a soft target as even right decisions will cause pain and grief to some.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">The thing that I don't understand is the obsession of the anti reds to blindly and childishly resort to name calling and criticism without any intelligent reasoning behind their posts. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">With regards to being a red supporter, are you up to the constant barrage of insults that will inevitably come your way? I'm not even a real supporter, more a sympathiser and even then, I've been subject to personal insults :)"

1) i feel for everyone who lost anyone or anything in this disaster

2)no, i don't understand the anger towards the government for not effectively coping with a ones-in-a-liftime natural disaster, even if they made truckloads of mistakes.

3) you are asking me directly? I am not a red supporter at all. I am farang, so I am aware that my opinion counts fror crap anyways. I am am not a yellow or dems supporter either. What gets me going is this arrogant ways, in which most people blindly attack a PERSON and make her the scapegoat for a failled state, a failled political system, a failled traditional system, for all the "mai pen rai" in this country and especially if they are farang like myself, for the unbelievable arrogance, sitting in an assumed elevated position, talking down on anyone, as if they were little children.That including politicians, businessmen and -women.

I am all here, critizising what I think is wrong. And I an getting worked up about it, because I was brought up, looking at facts, analyzing and trying to find solutions. but I could name guys on this forum who are just trolling on an elaborate level. not doing or thinking anything good, just being negative. Do I support the red? Hell no!

I understand that Alexakap has had his house flooded and is therefore naturally and justifiably upset and angry at the current government.

Wrong.

Once again: I do NOT care who is on charge now. YS or AV or SC (Santa).

I see FARCE, only the FARCE around the flooded areas. And you watch your television from the [yet] dry side.

Feel the difference, and sound me the name who is IN CHARGE of the current trouble. WHOEVER HE/SHE/IT IS - I simply see noone during this 2-week flood. What? No name pronounced? Ha-ha, how predictable.

Once again, read it: NOONE HERE, only a few helpful locals. NO govt, NO electricity, NO tap water and NO food. You don't tell me how helpful your belowed govt was shown in da last tv news.

And tomorrow I'll go there again.

The thing that I don't understand is the obsession of the anti reds to blindly and childishly resort to name calling and criticism without any intelligent reasoning behind their posts.

With regards to being a red supporter, are you up to the constant barrage of insults that will inevitably come your way? I'm not even a real supporter, more a sympathiser and even then, I've been subject to personal insults :)

Open your eyes, kiddo. Or keep "not understanding" and save my time. My objective is not to enlight you - please educate yourself (or read the initial post again - there are some "voices of the true voters". They are changing).

Edited by alexakap

Gimme gimme gimme. Gimme those relief packages with Mama noodles; never mind I've got a house full because we've all been stockpiling and raiding supermarket shelves. I want that FREE handout.

OMG have these people no dignity at all? It's not as if this is Ethiopia and people are starving. Or Bangladesh where this happens every year. These people should learn to take care of themselves instead of always relying on others and blaming others and the government for their plight.

How many of them built their houses illegally as a previous poster pointed put? whistling.gif

Why are they so selfish that they'd rather destroy dykes and see their neighbors flood instead of toughing it out? unsure.gif

How on earth can they even believe that any one person - even be it PM Yingluck - can magically solve this mess? huh.gif

Would others - e.g. her predecessor Mark - have been any better? I highly doubt it. blink.gif

In a nutshell, these people deserve the government they elected and the situation they are in. They shouldn't start whining about all of it now.

And to the many trolls - mainly foreign - on this forum: shove your politics, whinging and name-calling up your a--e! blink.gif

oh and, cup-O-coffee, well said! +1

Society indoctrinates them into the Patronage System. Most of them know no other way. There is no reason to "think" because society/government does everything for them (so they believe) Many expats get ticked off by bar girls attitudes about "give me, give" but it is a reflection of the only system they know.

They got the government they chose, the government that bought them.

Perhaps if Appiset ran the gov alone things would be much better, but he too is surrounded by the good ol boys system Personally I like AV because he is smart, well educated, personable, but really was a puppet just like YL.

Even if YL disperses adequate aid money and food etc etc, the real question is what % of it actually gets to the people who need it?

I highly suggest to anyone needing inspiration to watch (again) Ghandi , the movie.

I must say that it's gutsy of her to go into the lion's den and face up to the people. It gives moral support to those that are in favour of her, and allows her opponents to vent some anger and frustration.

Well done YL!

i guess brainwashed is far to little a word to use for you yep well done Taksin reds etc for fooling a lot of people all of the time pathetic but then you dont have to suffer from their greed incompetence and pure malice most of suffering will and is done by their own supporters And they deserve what they voted for

Since when has a reddish district equalled a 100% red vote?

Pathum/DonMuang is the "reddish" tambol, the citadel of reds headed to Bangkok. You go and ask locals to educate yourself.

She decided to dress her clowns to those coca-cola t-shirts...but even there the welcome was "mixed" (yet few months ago it was different)...now think yourself.

I don't care the exact red percentage now (however it is going down anyway). I don't even care to spell her name - Im too busy with sandbags, sorry.

You do realise that the so called red shirts constitute more of the population of Thailand than any other singularly coloured shirts don't you?

The true majority of Thailand is colorless. They use their daily t-shirts regardles the colors. Go educate yourself.

You do understand if I don't return your wai.

I don't care about wai'ing trolls - Im out from this discussion to save my time. Too wet here in Pathumthani nowadays, you know....Tooo manything to watch on....and that girl has brought her common cries and tears to increase the flooding, geeezzzz....

If a reddish district doesn't equate to 100% red-shirt votes, I guess that's the difference with declared 'red villages' where every one is (supposed to be ) a red-shirt and we love Thaksin.

Anyway it's interesting to read that the red-shirts constitute the biggest colour shirt group even though our friend NN has explained that they're not really a group, more a collection of factions, splinters, etc, sometimes only bound by the common colour of shirt rather than ideology, actions and so.

All this a bit off topic which is 'Flood victims chide PM over lack of aid' <_<

I've have seen a huge difference yesterday.

The princess was delivering goods at the stadium. I popped up there by coincidence. I was overwhelmed by the peace, love and care atmosphere. Red Cross, Oishi's Tan, Bangkok Hospital group and others as well as great soothing soft jazz and songs. A real huge difference in motivation and the feel of being cared for was all around. - Something five hundred Baht or so can't buy.

... and guess what else happened? Some shady characters building up there over the days and weeks have suddenly disappeared.

30167951-01.jpg

If even half of those companies don't return to Thailand that would be economically devastating to those areas.

Good point. Within a couple of months from one of the worst floods in 50 years, and the Japanese are already "considering" proactive solutions to save their assets. No doubt in my mind that they will act accordingly once the ground gets cleared of flood waters. Any doubters?

Comparing that to 2554 years of natives doing nothing, it makes one wonder what goes on in their minds when the sun is out and the ground dry.

Can one only imagine how many waterways and dikes and aqueducts could have been designed, engineered and built in the last 50 years, let alone the last 200 years (before Bangkok realized its present size) by simply putting shovels in the hands of laborers?

Sure; let the elite and ruling parties and different colors swagger and gesticulate; but at least one man shoveling is worth far more than 1,000 men swaggering and gesticulating. Let's not allow the common man to sit on his ass and watch the flies buzzing in the air, and wait around for "higher ups" to think of everything that most common men can do for themselves in times of peace and well-being.

It defies the imagination of sane people that posters herein defer from the subject of annual precipitation, and its consequential effects, and instead pull every thread issue back into the arena of red shirts and Thaksin. What a bunch of hateful, obsessed individuals. The two issues really have no business being mentioned in the same breathe.

Please prove to me that the red-shirts or Thaksin, or his ancestors, or any one person or persons caused this flood to happen. And then prove to me that the brand of toilet paper they choose to use on their person is politically motivated; as most of your arguments, in similarity, are about as near-sighted and idiotic as this.

Thailand needs shovels and action (even if by one man). It does not need the substance that is instead being heaped up into great stinking piles by inactive blow hards going since the first cornerstone of a city was laid.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Mixed reception in Don Mueang for PM

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday received mixed greetings from people affected by serious flooding during an inspection trip to Bangkok's Don Mueang District.

Yingluck spent two hours on a boat inspection and dropped EM balls in the floodwaters, which are starting to show signs of pollution. She also distributed relief supplies to flood victims.

More than 400 Burapa community residents cheered as they welcomed the PM, saying they would survive now that the PM had come to visit them.

However, at the Kosum Ruamjai market, 500 people converged to wait for the relief supplies. Many shouted angrily after receiving nothing. "We were told to come out for the supplies but there is not enough for everyone,'' one man said.

At Don Mueang Technical College, which serves as an evacuation centre but has been flooded, 200 evacuees who have had to move up to the second floor, shouted for help as Yingluck passed by. They told her they were facing difficulties as no officials had turned up to help them. They could not go anywhere because the boat trips were very costly.

Yingluck later said that although the public had shown both support and anger, she would not be disheartened because she understood the public's plight. She admitted that she was stressed sometimes but said she would be patient.

She said she had done nothing to prevent water from flooding her house, which is on a road parallel to RamIntra expressway. Her house is one metre higher than the road and if the water rises to higher than that level, she would let the water in.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

You don't think that monk was put out there as a publicity stunt, do you? No, of course not. I'm sure he just happened to be paddling by. Probably doing paddle meditation. :-)

"I understand that Alexakap has had his house flooded and is therefore naturally and justifiably upset and angry at the current government. It is always a soft target as even right decisions will cause pain and grief to some.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">The thing that I don't understand is the obsession of the anti reds to blindly and childishly resort to name calling and criticism without any intelligent reasoning behind their posts. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">With regards to being a red supporter, are you up to the constant barrage of insults that will inevitably come your way? I'm not even a real supporter, more a sympathiser and even then, I've been subject to personal insults :)"

2)no, i don't understand the anger towards the government for not effectively coping with a ones-in-a-liftime natural disaster, even if they made truckloads of mistakes.

3) you are asking me directly? I am not a red supporter at all. I am farang, so I am aware that my opinion counts fror crap anyways. I am am not a yellow or dems supporter either. What gets me going is this arrogant ways, in which most people blindly attack a PERSON and make her the scapegoat for a failled state, a failled political system, a failled traditional system, for all the "mai pen rai" in this country and especially if they are farang like myself, for the unbelievable arrogance, sitting in an assumed elevated position, talking down on anyone, as if they were little children.That including politicians, businessmen and -women.

I am all here, critizising what I think is wrong. And I an getting worked up about it, because I was brought up, looking at facts, analyzing and trying to find solutions. but I could name guys on this forum who are just trolling on an elaborate level. not doing or thinking anything good, just being negative. Do I support the red? Hell no!

Off-topic, but what tool do you guys use to write these posts? This is the second one I've seen that has somehow managed to have a load of malformed HTML in them.

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday received mixed greetings from people affected by serious flooding during an inspection trip to Bangkok's Don Mueang District.

Yingluck spent two hours on a boat inspection and dropped EM balls in the floodwaters, which are starting to show signs of pollution. She also distributed relief supplies to flood victims.

More than 400 Burapa community residents cheered as they welcomed the PM, saying they would survive now that the PM had come to visit them.

However, at the Kosum Ruamjai market, 500 people converged to wait for the relief supplies. Many shouted angrily after receiving nothing. "We were told to come out for the supplies but there is not enough for everyone,'' one man said.

At Don Mueang Technical College, which serves as an evacuation centre but has been flooded, 200 evacuees who have had to move up to the second floor, shouted for help as Yingluck passed by. They told her they were facing difficulties as no officials had turned up to help them. They could not go anywhere because the boat trips were very costly.

Yingluck later said that although the public had shown both support and anger, she would not be disheartened because she understood the public's plight. She admitted that she was stressed sometimes but said she would be patient.

She said she had done nothing to prevent water from flooding her house, which is on a road parallel to RamIntra expressway. Her house is one metre higher than the road and if the water rises to higher than that level, she would let the water in.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

You don't think that monk was put out there as a publicity stunt, do you? No, of course not. I'm sure he just happened to be paddling by. Probably doing paddle meditation. :-)

Unfortunately for the more enlightened people of Thailand, stunts like this work (along with throwing around a lot of cold, hard cash).

As proven by the last general election.

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

Unfortunately for the more enlightened people of Thailand, stunts like this work (along with throwing around a lot of cold, hard cash).

FROC, the ultimate government agency for decisions about the floods, can't even make a logical decision where to locate / re-locate. Within just a week of relocating from Don Muang (considered earlier by FROC as a safe location) they are again surrounded by rising water.

But what else can you expect after the paymaster surrounded his little inexperienced clone with thugs and totally incapable yes men and ruthless immoral cronies.

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

She probably hasn't something else to do.

She was distributing relief supplies, donated supplies. Why doesn't she distribute relief supplies payed for by herself or her not too poor family?

Then I won't have a problem she's getting publicity.

It should be forbidden for all people in the government, or opposition, to go out and make a show of distributing donated supplies. It's disgusting.

Off-topic, but what tool do you guys use to write these posts? This is the second one I've seen that has somehow managed to have a load of malformed HTML in them.

Ahm...I am 100% challenged when it comes to computers and all its funny apps...I have really no idea what you mean. Sorry!

Btw: yes...offtopic...but I guess, so are 95% of all posts when people start fingerpointing!

Edited by DocN

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

FROC, the ultimate government agency for decisions about the floods, can't even make a logical decision where to locate / re-locate. Within just a week of relocating from Don Muang (considered earlier by FROC as a safe location) they are again surrounded by rising water.

But what else can you expect after the paymaster surrounded his little inexperienced clone with thugs and totally incapable yes men and ruthless immoral cronies.

Maybe you have a good idea where to go to? As it seems by now, in 2 weeks even Bayoke Sky will be "surrounded by water", so....

The Nation

30169151-01.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

She probably hasn't something else to do.

She was distributing relief supplies, donated supplies. Why doesn't she distribute relief supplies payed for by herself or her not too poor family?

Then I won't have a problem she's getting publicity.

It should be forbidden for all people in the government, or opposition, to go out and make a show of distributing donated supplies. It's disgusting.

Very good, you added the last sentence. So I can absolutely agree!

30167951-01.jpg

I wonder if, in a year's time, the Japanese government will be begging the Thai government to issue a visa so one of their criminals can come and "inspect" the damage while totally ignoring impending signs of their own next disaster?

Well. let's see. A tit for a tat, right.

How many of those people have cha notes for their dwelling places? Should they be thankful that they have not been rounded up and evicted

How many are squatters? Should they be grateful they are not rounded up and relocated into camps?

Where were they last year when it flooded? Should they be shaking their heads at their own dam_n fault for setting up shop or home in a known flood plane?

This entire issue and all the issues tangled up into it are so mundane and irrelevant. The fact is, a flood is a discriminator of no one, and the preexisting conditions that brought this on cannot be connected to any one person for the last 50 years.

Knock any one person or persons all you want, but when I look at the television, I see water in such quantities where it should not be, and equally understand that there is no person or persons alive who can make that water relocate right this instant, nor tomorrow, nor in the next 10 years if nothing is done by then.

What is happening now is triage. The ludicrous mention of it all is that before the flood, as it approached, during it rising, and until now, everyone still has been playing paddy fingers and expecting someone to divert nature and make the water go away; something that has not been accomplished in the memory of the Thailand's history.

These people are not victims. They are idiots if they blame any one person or persons and exclude themselves from that blame. Let's blame Ying Luk's great great great grandfather as well.

Describing a victim is to describe not knowing. What's not to know that every year in Thailand it floods; sometimes heavy and sometimes not.

This is about as stupid as the Japanese people blaming their PM for earthquakes and tsunamis. No. They do not. They understand the situation and they all pull together when it happens. Japan has embraced earthquake proof and tsunami early warning technology in engineering and other fields.

In over 2554. what has Thailand done to divert known flood waters?

Each year it's going to be the same thing here; cleaning up a huge mess left from the floods. Another ludicrous thing is that nothing will be done, and the news may as well run old film bits from past years of reporters shouting in mics and gesticulating the arms at the water. Much ado about nothing.

Dear Thailand, nature has been reminding you year after year for 2554 years that you will be flooded annually. Get it? If you are looking for a reason to do something about it, then it really does not get any simpler than that one fact.

At last someone speaking using his brain rather than his a--e which is very refreshing from the usual non helpful crap the know alls on here use, while castigating this government they of course cannot offer any helpful advice whatsoever and what advice have the Democrats offered ia all of this, jack schitt of course any anyone on here who thinks the last lot of incompetents could have prevented the problem then do please go and whistle Dixie.

The Thais are hardly helping themselves either with the destruction of sandbag banks with their thought of why should it only be us, someone try to get it through their heads that it is the way to help people that some places have to be kept dry to allow for the rescue operations and employment. The news today of Honda stopping production for 6 months should tell the people the need to keep industrial parks dry.

cup-O-coffee always comes up with the goods to read. :)

I am no supporter of the Red Shirts and the Yellow shirts are not much different but while I see Yingluck being slagged off by all and sundry for doing something or not doing something I remember that she was elected to parliament along with some 300 odd other people very few of whom are visible.

The handful that are seen seem to be square pegs looking for round holes to fit into.

My thoughts are that Yingluck had little choice but to accept the "cabinet" that was presented to her to run with and from what I have seen so far is that

yes, she has made mistakes as anyone else would under the circumstances,

yes, she has been crying as many others both men and women would do (though the men would do it in private)

yes, she is stressed out as anybody would be under the circumstances

BUT at least she is doing SOMETHING and not hiding away from all the crap which will surely come in the future and not covering her ass the same as most of the rest of the so called cabinet and "red" leaders.

I must admit if it were me in that very hot (and very wet) seat of power I may just have said something along the lines of

"As an honourable man I will shoulder my responsibilities, accept the blame and pass the leadership on to someone else".

How many of her fellow politicians would step forward do you think.