Why Do The Western Media Use The Term "Thai Bride"?

TingTawng

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will believe it when I see a Thai girl marrying a Nigerian, Philipinos, Cambogians, or any of the "poor type" of country with a not-so-enviable passport.

Well, it's the same for all women all over the world. I'm not even saying that's wrong - it's just nature. Complaining that women want to marry better providers is like complaining that the best looking women get the best male providers - it's nature, survival of the fittest and richest.

Some TV members can't read ...

The OP is not making a comment on Thai women morality, he is pointed out that the word "Thai Bride" could be interpreted as reducing the lady to a product, a merchandise, which makes her a victim ie the contrary of a "money grabber".

Surely a marriage of product with a Farang!:whistling: As to who the real victim may be, is open to question. When in season you see a lot of crushed Farangs on the road side :lol:

Based on all the crazy stories I read here, the Thai lady is the abused one, every time. Although men here are very skilled to present the situation to put them in favorable light.

From "How dares my Thai wife asks me to help out towards domestic chores? ", to "I took a mistress and now she is having an affair too, life is so unfair, how could she do that to me ?", "My Thai wife is very sick, will I lose all my properties if she dies?", or "My Thai wife gets angry if I get the services of females prostitutes/Bar girls so I have to go for underage males" etc etc ...

Yes, and I bet it is the white racist biggots who are shouting the loudest about "Thai Bride" being a racist comment.

Like the two Aussies kicked out of the country for claiming they were robbed so they could make an insurance claim. They hold Austrailian Passports, how many Aussies claimed they were not Australian? But then Australia always was a country of theives, we sent them there from the UK many centuries ago.:whistling:

It's Ok if white people are racist, Just as long as no one is racist back!

I will believe it when I see a Thai girl marrying a Nigerian, Philipinos, Cambogians, or any of the "poor type" of country with a not-so-enviable passport.

Well, it's the same for all women all over the world. I'm not even saying that's wrong - it's just nature. Complaining that women want to marry better providers is like complaining that the best looking women get the best male providers - it's nature, survival of the fittest and richest.

Nobody is saying that is wrong to try marry to get a better life, but somehow, men here seem to be offended when reminded that their marriage is based on economical basics.

In Europe this model has been prevalent and was socially acceptable for centuries. We still have some ethnies based on this social model. My grand mother was rich and not so good looking, she married a poor good looking guy, she never denied it.

Why are you so touchy ?

Edited by aneliane

If the implication is that the term 'Thai bride' is a euphemism used to mean something other than just that, then I've never heard it, and I've been with my wife in the in the US for 3.5 years. I saw nothing in the google search that would indicate that, either. In fact i notice far more prejudice right here on this forum, particularly with regard to education levels, than I've ever encountered in the US. I don't think it has much to do with language levels, either. I've heard trinket vendors in Tijuana speak better English than PhD's from BKK, so what? If a woman acts like a slut, then of course she'll be treated like one...

Nobody is saying that is wrong to try marry to get a better life, but somehow, men here seem to be offended when reminded that their marriage is based on economical basics.

The reason why I ask this question - Why Do The Western Media Use The Term "Thai Bride"? - is because western media is normally very politically correct, and they're careful not to offend any race or ethnicity. Just seems odd they don't apply this standard evenly. When a Thai news outlet calls a foreigner a farang, I don't see it being in any way offensive because it's just standard practise. It's all about intent behind the word, not the word/phrase itself. When news media becomes mealy-mouthed through political correctness, yet drop that act when describing a UK resident who happened to be originally from Thailand and was married for 8 years, it just seems like they're using the phrase derogatarily. Hence, I wondered why that might be.

In Europe this model has been prevalent and was socially acceptable for centuries. We still have some ethnies based on this social model. My grand mother was rich and not so good looking, she married a poor good looking guy, she never denied it.

Would she have married a not so good looking poor guy? And would the poor good looking guy have married a not so good looking poor woman? It doesn't matter if you're Thai, English, American, whatever - we all have arbitrary, conditional values that we look out for in the dating game. I know we like to think of ourselves as noble creatures, but our initial dating criteria is always rather arbitrary. I think the problems occur when you ONLY look at these arbitrary needs. Of course you have to have a personality match, and who wants to marry a cruel, abusive person whether they're good looking and/or rich anyway. But if you don't match that initial criteria, all the other stuff doesn't matter.

Edited by TingTawng

The reason why I ask this question - Why Do The Western Media Use The Term "Thai Bride"? - is because western media is normally very politically correct, and they're careful not to offend any race or ethnicity. Just seems odd they don't apply this standard evenly. When a Thai news outlet calls a foreigner a farang, I don't see it being in any way offensive because it's just standard practise. It's all about intent behind the word, not the word/phrase itself. When news media becomes mealy-mouthed through political correctness, yet drop that act when describing a UK resident who happened to be originally from Thailand and was married for 8 years, it just seems like they're using the phrase derogatarily. Hence, I wondered why that might be.

Would she have married a not so good looking poor guy? And would the poor good looking guy have married a not so good looking poor woman? It doesn't matter if you're Thai, English, American, whatever - we all have arbitrary, conditional values that we look out for in the dating game. I know we like to think of ourselves as noble creatures, but our initial dating criteria is always rather arbitrary. I think the problems occur when you ONLY look at these arbitrary needs. Of course you have to have a personality match, and who wants to marry a cruel, abusive person whether they're good looking and/or rich anyway. Just - let's not kid ourselves that western dating is much different to anywhere else in the world.

Because, its not derogatory, denouncing woman exploitation by calling them "Thai brides" is being politically correct

Edited by aneliane

Because, its not derogatory, denouncing woman exploitation by calling them "Thai brides" is being politically correct

I don't see that as being politically correct - describing a UK resident by their country of origin. The UK has so many ethnicities, it seems weird to pick up on this as the first word to describe her. If UK newspapers did that all the time, we'd have some really bizarre headlines; and using the word "bride" (wife of 8 years) to assume she's been bought - pretty derogatory if you ask me (I mean, to describe the woman herself as if she is nothing more than something that was bought, and derogatory to her friends/relatives who may pick up this story). Still, it's been interesting to scrutinise this, even if a lot of people don't want to.

Edited by TingTawng

glad to see not everyone is an hypocrite here.

aneliane, it seems you have some strong views on this. Just to counterbalance your view, I've met plenty of farangs in Thailand who are pretty much broke, and have Thai girlfriends/wives. To give Thai women credit, I'll posit an idea that there exists Thai women who may be looking at a bit more than purely money when choosing who to date. I don't think Soi Cowboy is a microcosm of Thailand. As I've said quite a few times, reality isn't as neat and tidy as people like to make it.

Edited by TingTawng

it just seems like they're using the phrase derogatarily. Hence, I wondered why that might be.

No, that's completely wrong.

When referring to married women, the terms "Thai bride" and "Asian bride" are intentionally condescending.

The terms are used to highlight or mock the huge educational and/or socio-economic differences that characterise very many marriages between Western men and Asian women.

The implication is that when such huge differences exist, the marriage is not "real" and is simply a product of the bride's greed / poverty / relative poverty, and the man's inadequacy.

Obvious (fictional) examples might include:

1. Wayne (a thuggish and uneducated scrap metal dealer from Wolverhampton) who married a pretty psychology graduate from Manila.

2. Simon (a retired 57 year-old businessman from Essex) who married a 23 year-old go-go dancer from Buriram who left school at mattayom 3.

If the implication is that the term 'Thai bride' is a euphemism used to mean something other than just that, then I've never heard it, and I've been with my wife in the in the US for 3.5 years.

Yeah I don't run in to the term at home either. Just something I see in Daily Mail stories. They seem to have a lot Thailand stories usually with a very negative slant, American papers don't seem to know the place exists unless it's something very big.

I guess several people have it right, you cannot beat ignorance and there is little point in getting uptight about it, but you can turn the tables, one guy once said to me,

'I see you have a Thai Bride'

My response was, 'Are you married?'

'Yes'

'Is she a Brit Bride?'

I guess he was uncomfortable, but I hope he wont show the same ignorance again.

Brass shines as fair to the ignorant as gold to the goldsmiths.
Lizzie of England

What rubbish.

Why would anyone be ashamed of having a Brit wife and why on earth would you think he was uncomfortable at this truth?? You honestly think he thought a Brit wife is embarrassing whereas a Thai wife shows class??

I guess several people have it right, you cannot beat ignorance and there is little point in getting uptight about it, but you can turn the tables, one guy once said to me,

'Yes'

'Is she a Brit Bride?'

What rubbish.

Why would anyone be ashamed of having a Brit wife and why on earth would you think he was uncomfortable at this truth?? You honestly think he thought a Brit wife is embarrassing whereas a Thai wife shows class??

Re-read the guy's post. He was using the word "bride" and not "wife".

Prince Charles has a British wife.

The English guy who killed his partner after she broke his Star Wars toys had (according to the Daily Mail) a Thai bride.

Not to worry, soon enough and way too often it becomes "Thai Bitch" or even "thieving cheating Thai Bitch". The guy ends up paying over the odds in the end and if the end justifies the means at all then she is much more likely to be " thiveing cheating whore" with a new nationality or passport anyways.

Ouch - too much cynicism. Why do some people even visit a Thai forum if they have this much negativity to Thai people? Why not live somewhere else?

Edited by TingTawng

One post stereotyping western women in a derogatory manner has been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I didn't know that rule existed.

One post stereotyping western women in a derogatory manner has been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I didn't know that rule existed.

They're all here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I have a thai wife, that I suppose was a thai bride at some point prior to marriage. I am 60, she is 35. I was looking for an asian wife, she was looking for a farang husband when we met on ThaiLove***** website. I was not born yesterday, nor was she, we both knew what we were doing. Now this courtship may have lacked the trappings of a western one, in that I didn't pretend to be interested in her mind, that education, communication and meeting my social standing were important. Yes, she speaks english at a grade 3 or 4 level, no big words. Does that stop us from talking? I was able to explain myself quite clearly to my children at that level, why not an adult?

To answer the queastion "Thai Bride" Why the name? Because they are thai!!! You ever hear the term "Western Bride", Russian Bride". It is an industry that has come out of the communication era. Back in the day of the "Slow boat to China" you didn't see many western men married to asian brides. No one had the time. Took a year to go find, marry and return in those days. No different then people saying "gee, that guy has Ikea furniture". Does Ikea furniture have the cost and maintainace problems of home grow furniture? NO! Maybe on this level it has appeal? I do love my wife, so next topic is "what is love" HaHaHa

'Yes'

'Is she a Brit Bride?'

What rubbish.

Re-read the guy's post. He was using the word "bride" and not "wife".

Prince Charles has a British wife.

The English guy who killed his partner after she broke his Star Wars toys had (according to the Daily Mail) a Thai bride.

Accordingly , Prince William , he has got a welfare wife .