What Is An Ex-pat?

Thomas_Merton

What is an ex-pat? A person who wishes to live life on the planet without  boundaries of rules and expectations of the society under which they were born?

:o

Yeah, that's probably what a lot of people THINK they can do if they're an ex-pat. Unfortunately, too many of them forget that they need to learn the rules and expectations of the society into which they transplant themselves.

Moving to a new country doesn't mean you get to toss out all those boring social mores and live a life of complete hedonistic self-indulgence.

Every culture and society on the planet has behavioral boundaries, rules and expectations. That's just a simple fact of nature. Humans are a tribal animal and expressing a desire to live outside those norms is going to be seen as "anti-social" by those around you. So you are going to be marginalized and pushed out to the fringes of society, just as you would be back home if you engaged in similar behavior there.

Too many people come here and live in "socially-isolated" Euro-Towns along Sukhumvit or in Pattaya and they THINK they're living in Thailand. But they forget that this is a country of some 60 or 70 million people and MOST of those people do not condone or approve of the type of lifestyle these so-called "sex-pats" chose to live.

What they don't seem to realize is that they ARE marginalized and that most of Thai society merely tolerates--but doesn't truly accept--their presence.

So the "freedom" of which you speak is merely an illusion. You're "free" to do whatever you wish here, just so long as you stay within the "social box" that Thais have set up around you. But if you try to engage in that carefree lifestyle AND integrate into Thai society, you're in for a big shock.

You'll soon discover that Thailand has just as many "rules and expectations" as you had back home. You've just been ignoring them until now. You could just as well do exactly the same thing back home, but back home you had friends and family you didn't want to embarass yourself in front of. Here, you're "free" from that concern.

But freedom from "Mommy finding out what I'm doing" is not exactly the same as freedom to do as you please.....

Edited by Pudgimelon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<flame deleted>

Well, expat comes from "expatriated," right? There's a feeling there that you've left your country, which has a permanent sort of tone. I'd say anyone who falls into the category of not living in his own country, more or less permanently, under any sort of circumstances, fits this definition.

"Steven"

Edited by RDN

In my experience the term "expatriate" most commonly applies in employment situations where a person is sent to work in another country on terms and conditions that are predicated on his or her home country's.

In other words, an Australian taking up a position in Hong Kong, and being given pay rates and other benefits, including subsidised housing, just because he or she is being recruited from Australia, on Australian terms and conditions.

In retirement I guess it has a similar meaning: an American living an American standard of living in Thailand.

Edited by wamberal

There is nothing patriotic about most ex-pats, except the odd deranged 'nam vet! :o

"EX-PATRIATES" it is. :D

BTW, you don't need to be working to qualify for the club, sunbathing while sipping beer is ok, too. :D

Edited by zzap

There is nothing patriotic about most ex-pats, except the odd deranged 'nam vet! :D

While some of them are indeed odd, they are not as few in terms of numbers as you imply... or maybe being a vet is a common delusion (exacerbated by excessive intake of psychoactive substances during the war years) among US expatriates - along the lines of the discrepancy between the number of people who claim they went to Woodstock, and the actual number of people who were there. :D:o:D:D

There is nothing patriotic about most ex-pats, except the odd deranged 'nam vet! :D

While some of them are indeed odd, they are not as few in terms of numbers as you imply... or maybe being a vet is a common delusion (exacerbated by excessive intake of psychoactive substances during the war years) among US expatriates - along the lines of the discrepancy between the number of people who claim they went to Woodstock, and the actual number of people who were there. :D :D :D:D

So most of them haven't even been to 'nam! :D

Thanks for putting that one right. :D

The term 'chickenhawk' comes to mind... :o

Anyway, I digress.

Yes you are wrong, Scamp:

ex·pat Audio pronunciation of "ex-pat" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kspt)

n. Chiefly British

An expatriate.

ex·pa·tri·ate Audio pronunciation of "expatriate" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-sptr-t)

v. ex·pa·tri·at·ed, ex·pa·tri·at·ing, ex·pa·tri·ates

v. tr.

1. To send into exile. See Synonyms at banish.

2. To remove (oneself) from residence in one's native land.

v. intr.

1. To give up residence in one's homeland.

2. To renounce allegiance to one's homeland.

n. (-t, -t)

1. One who has taken up residence in a foreign country.

2. One who has renounced one's native land.

adj. (-t, -t)

Residing in a foreign country; expatriated: “She delighted in the bohemian freedom enjoyed by the expatriate artists, writers, and performers living in Rome” (Janet H. Murray).

Someone who has lived overseas (outside their home country) for a continuous period of not less than ?????????????? (say 10 years) including holidays home for a period of not more than ????????? (say 1 month) at any one time during any ???????????? (say 12 month) period.

Edited by malcolminthemiddle

There is nothing patriotic about most ex-pats, except the odd deranged 'nam vet! :o

"EX-PATRIATES" it is. :D

BTW, you don't need to be working to qualify for the club, sunbathing while sipping beer is ok, too. :D

As an Ex-Pat I must insist on correctness. Our ilk do not want the great unwashed tourist masses trying to climb onboard. The title Ex-Pat carries with it a list of privleges not to be shared by the common backpacker. Higher salaries than the locals, tickets to the old country twice a year, children's school fees, club memberships, top end car with driver, etc ....

Sorry folks, you're toursts.

As an Ex-Pat I must insist on correctness. Our ilk do not want the great unwashed tourist masses trying to climb onboard. The title Ex-Pat carries with it a list of privleges not to be shared by the common backpacker. Higher salaries than the locals, tickets to the old country twice a year, children's school fees, club memberships, top end car with driver, etc ....

Hmmm... let's see:

Higher salaries than the locals? Check.

Tickets to the old country twice a year? Sure!! (If I pay for them :D)

Children's school fees? No kids yet, but saving up for them right now.

Club memberships? Does my Mall card count? It says I get 5% off all non-sale items.

Top end car with driver? Well, my wife has that.... as long as I drive.... :D

So do I qualify for membership in your club?

What is an ex-pat? A person who wishes to live life on the planet without  boundaries of rules and expectations of the society under which they were born?

Yeah, that's probably what a lot of people THINK they can do if they're an ex-pat. Unfortunately, too many of them forget that they need to learn the rules and expectations of the society into which they transplant themselves.

Moving to a new country doesn't mean you get to toss out all those boring social mores and live a life of complete hedonistic self-indulgence.

Every culture and society on the planet has behavioral boundaries, rules and expectations. That's just a simple fact of nature. Humans are a tribal animal and expressing a desire to live outside those norms is going to be seen as "anti-social" by those around you. So you are going to be marginalized and pushed out to the fringes of society, just as you would be back home if you engaged in similar behavior there.

Too many people come here and live in "socially-isolated" Euro-Towns along Sukhumvit or in Pattaya and they THINK they're living in Thailand. But they forget that this is a country of some 60 or 70 million people and MOST of those people do not condone or approve of the type of lifestyle these so-called "sex-pats" chose to live.

What they don't seem to realize is that they ARE marginalized and that most of Thai society merely tolerates--but doesn't truly accept--their presence.

So the "freedom" of which you speak is merely an illusion. You're "free" to do whatever you wish here, just so long as you stay within the "social box" that Thais have set up around you. But if you try to engage in that carefree lifestyle AND integrate into Thai society, you're in for a big shock.

You'll soon discover that Thailand has just as many "rules and expectations" as you had back home. You've just been ignoring them until now. You could just as well do exactly the same thing back home, but back home you had friends and family you didn't want to embarass yourself in front of. Here, you're "free" from that concern.

But freedom from "Mommy finding out what I'm doing" is not exactly the same as freedom to do as you please.....

Residing in a foreign country; expatriated: “She delighted in the bohemian freedom enjoyed by the expatriate artists, writers, and performers living in Rome” (Janet H. Murray).

Oh yes, this is more my idea of being an expat as these are the people that I work with.

Mr Pudgimelon, I think everybody has their own version of what and who they are when they move to a foreign country. No need to spout off and ram your version down my throat! Each to their own!! Enjoy yours!!! :D

Oh yes, this is more my idea of being an expat as these are the people that I work with.

Mr Pudgimelon, I think everybody has their own version of what and who they are when they move to a foreign country. No need to spout off and ram your version down my throat! Each to their own!! Enjoy yours!!!  :o

Well, you have to admit that your first post looked a bit "sex-pat-ish", don't you think? Especially since plenty of dodgy people get on here and espouse exactly that point of view.

There's nothing wrong with a bohemian artistic lifestyle and if that's what you meant, then sorry if I misunderstood.

While some of them are indeed odd, they are not as few in terms of numbers as you imply... or maybe being a vet is a common delusion (exacerbated by excessive intake of psychoactive substances during the war years) among US expatriates - along the lines of the discrepancy between the number of people who claim they went to Woodstock, and the actual number of people who were there. :D :D :D:D

So most of them haven't even been to 'nam! :D

The term 'chickenhawk' comes to mind... :o

There's a few of them around fer sure... :D

hmm

Wears Safari suits

Sandals and Knee socks.

Sweats a LOT

Florid complexion.

Likes Pin Gin

Has hanky tied in four corners on his head.

Have you ever considered what makes you an Ex-Pat?

I've never had any trouble calling myself an Ex-Pat, but then I lived out of my country for over 30 years; married a native; speak the lingo; my kids were borne abroad; they went to school in our new land; my son was even called up to do his national service but declined choosing a UK passport (as was his right); my daughter chose the opposite ; I worked and paid taxes in my new land; but I retained my passport considering myself - despite the above - still English and therefore an Ex-Pat.

But what is the definition with respect to Thailand? What makes you identify yourself as an Ex-Pat on Thaivisa Thailand Ex-Pat forum?

What is it that distinguishes you from a tourist on an extended holiday or a backpacker taking a year out?

It must be more than the type of luggage you use.

What makes an Ex-Pat an Ex-Pat?

I've been pissing in the wind as a tourist for 7 years in LOS, and don't work for no oil company. You haven't even stayed here full-time, Lamphun!

Get lost... :D  :o

The jealousy of the tourist for the exalted status of the true Ex-Pat, very sad.

Tourists do not work, but share most priviliges an oil-rig labourer might feel entitled to in LOS. Now, who is jealous? :D

For me, I suppose it was the point when I knew I would move out of the UK and wouldn't go back. 

Not specifically an expat to Thailand but of course an expatriate from the UK.

I follow the dictionary defination of  "To remove (oneself) from residence in one's native land."

So that makes me a UK expat in Thailand right?  Not an expatriate of Thailand.  In which case I expect none of us are actually Thailand expats.

Good topic TM, didn't know you posted topics outside bedlam. :o

Lot of guys I bet think they are expats because they spend 6 months of the year here but I dont go with that definition at all.  Bloody wannabees. :D

I don´t know how technical of an expat I am.

I´m not registered, or rather, I´ve "checked out" of my birth country and my country of citizen ship. I´m not registered to vote or pay taxes in either, though I have been in the past. (well, at least the taxes part)

I´ve lived on this latitude (guatemala - Central thailand) for five years now, and don´t see myself returning.

I receive NO money from my countries of origin.

I have no banks back there either, anymore.

I earn my living here. Day by day. Lose my job and I have no alternative sources, nor any savings at the moment.

Does that make me an expat?

I think by many definitions - Yes.

Makes you a border line dirt bag.

&lt;deleted&gt;!

The title Ex-pat?

I left my home country 14 years ago. I've been back 2 times for a holiday, so call me a tourist if you want.

I've been a bum, a backpacker, and a respected visitor and member of the community.

I could care less if others see me as an expat or not.

There is nothing to be proud of being an expat.

There is nothing wrong with being an extended traveller or backpacker, even a bum.

I wonder how many of these "snobbish" ex-pats are still paying up a pension in their "home' land, still vote, get their mums to tape the latest series of Coronation Street, watch BBC, and have bank accounts.

How many would jump at the chance to go back "home" for a higher salary.

I live in Thailand, work in Thailand and have a daughter and a wife who have Thai citizenship.

This is my new home and I love it.

I don't give a toss about the UK, apart from my friends and family there.

They can do whatever the &lt;deleted&gt; they want with it, I ain't going back.

I've decide I don't want to call myself an "expat" - too many &lt;deleted&gt; calling themselves that. :o

Unfortunately in my experience, a term many people think makes them somehow better than other foreigners. Also on the lines of if they have been here longer you. And in addition it seems to come with alot of home country bashing.

Not very positive I know.

Edited by thefusilier

Unfortunately in my experience, a term many people think makes them somehow better than other foreigners. Also on the lines of if they have been here longer you. And in addition it seems to come with alot of home country bashing.

Not very positive I know.

So how long have you "been here", and are you an ex-pat (working, retired or just 'of independent means') or are you a tourist? I'd like to put your "experience" in some kind of context.