Flood Nears Inner Bangkok

webfact

Truth is, the debate never was about science; most of the deep (Global Warming) alarmism comes from dispossessed Marxists, who were homeless after the collapse of the USSR.

this could possibly the strangest post in the history of ThaiVisa

1. Not even close, Plenty of evidence around. Do your own research

2. Show a little bit of courtesy and do not alter people's posts when you are quoting them.

Sorry, but WHAT are you smoking? I would like some of it, pleaaaaaase!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my sixpence-worth, and I'm no expert, why not channel the unwanted water to areas where it is wanted by building a system of canals ? In the north-east of Thailand, Bururam area, we've had quite a lot of water this year. Rice crops doing nicely etc. We had even more water here 3 years ago, but in between, drought. Last year our rice crop failed due to NO water, not one grain of rice and this was the same for a huge area. We WANT water, we NEED water, so channel it here and save precious Bangkok the same misery it's currently having in the future. Far cheaper to build canals heading east than to try and circumnavigate Bangkok.....in my opinion

Hopefully the big conversations that need to go on about how this situation can be averted next time will not just concentrate on Bangkok but also address the flooding problems that happen all over Thailand. One of the biggest things that need to be realised is that weather and natural geography are powerful forces to counter. Also these problems are not just confined to Thailand and the massive dam building programs going on in the region will have an impact on this in the future.

One thing to bear in mind is the Isaan plataeu is fairly high with a lot of it over 500 feet above sea level - to move water from the lower central plains to Isaan would not be as straightforward as building canals. The best source for water for this area would probably be from the north via the Mekhong but, with the current dams being built this source might be compromised.

Sorry for any confusion. My ' idea ' would be as follows -- since all this water from Chiang Mai etc is flowing south and downhill towards Bangkok, you find a point on this route that is a similar elevation above sea level to that of Buriram. That's where your canal starts to divert water to regions that need it thereby doing away with any need to pump it uphill. Still seems like a very simple idea to me, all it needs is the planners to choose a route and engineers to construct it. Doesn't have to be that big either providing no greedy farmers choose to dam the flow to fill up their area -- which happens all too often. Unfortunately we have this problem with the river at the end of our village. It can rain all it likes but the river level stays low, then when the dams built by farmers upstream can no longer contain the water, we get it in a massive lump. Pretty dangerous too when it arrives.

Well thought out post - thanks!

I agree water can be stored for future use, canals and tunnels can be constructed to divert and reroute rivers - flood control structures can be put in place. What is necessary is proper design, engineering and construction - then proper maintenance and policing after construction.

Ms. Prime Minister should immediately hire a specialized engineering firm to do a proper, (nationwide not Bangkok only), feasability study and cost analysis to mitigate future occurrences. The government and landowners must cooperate before and after construction and of course financing for such a major undertaking would be difficult. It is no longer a question of who is to blame (Mother Nature??) it is a question of preventing the problem from recurring.

We will never know the real cost of this present flood. Once the water recedes than the cleanup work begins - where do they put the millions of cubic metres of silt from homes, streets, parking lots and yards? Where will people be able to dispose of all the ruined cars, motorcycles, furniture, appliances, electronics, etc., etc.

Truth is, the debate never was about science; most of the deep (Global Warming) alarmism comes from dispossessed Marxists, who were homeless after the collapse of the USSR.

this could possibly the strangest post in the history of ThaiVisa

1. Not even close, Plenty of evidence around. Do your own research

2. Show a little bit of courtesy and do not alter people's posts when you are quoting them.

Sorry, but WHAT are you smoking? I would like some of it, pleaaaaaase!

Sorry, but smoking substances can't endow you with courtesy. Or common sense.

Has anyone noticed the deafening silence from Mr YKW who does not appear to be up front helping his poor unfortunate supporters with food and water from his plunder chest.

No headline grabbing even given the ardent support he gets from the media.

I cant look at the pix anymore of those poor people who will be swamped for months

Even if i were allowed to comment on the collective selfish incompetence you would not need any embellishment from me

I wonder what measures have been taken in the inevitable event of water born disease breaking out?

I suppose the kee will really hit the patlom

BTW

Any of you concerned readers know anything about other third world floods on this scale eg Bangladesh recently?

pls add your info on how it plays out

Robin

Reply to Richard in Bangkok

Refreshing to read a comment which reflects the position of many of us in Bangkok at this point in time, not only the expats who can relocate until the water, its dubious contents, the mambas and crocs subside, but many of the suburban Bangkok villagers who are simply asking for somebody to give them a gameplan so they can even begin to formulate a life plan. Seeing Yingluck fall part on the national news again this evening was not comforting. The villagers have my respect today.

Thank you for your kind words. It really is an exercise in "one day at a time." Many Expats feel that over time, they are improved by contact with the Thai culture, philosophy and religion. This is an opportunity to explore patience, understanding and how little control we actually have over events around us. Of course, it is easy for me to wax poetic tonight, since my feet are still dry. However, it is my decision to live here, my decision to stay and I believe when I look back on it all, will be better for having stuck it out and stayed to experience the best...and worst... of Thailand. By this time tomorrow, the streets will be brimming, and I will re-read this post to see if I am able to "walking that walk.'" Best of luck to you...Richard

For my sixpence-worth, and I'm no expert, why not channel the unwanted water to areas where it is wanted by building a system of canals ? In the north-east of Thailand, Bururam area, we've had quite a lot of water this year. Rice crops doing nicely etc. We had even more water here 3 years ago, but in between, drought. Last year our rice crop failed due to NO water, not one grain of rice and this was the same for a huge area. We WANT water, we NEED water, so channel it here and save precious Bangkok the same misery it's currently having in the future. Far cheaper to build canals heading east than to try and circumnavigate Bangkok.....in my opinion

Hopefully the big conversations that need to go on about how this situation can be averted next time will not just concentrate on Bangkok but also address the flooding problems that happen all over Thailand. One of the biggest things that need to be realised is that weather and natural geography are powerful forces to counter. Also these problems are not just confined to Thailand and the massive dam building programs going on in the region will have an impact on this in the future.

One thing to bear in mind is the Isaan plataeu is fairly high with a lot of it over 500 feet above sea level - to move water from the lower central plains to Isaan would not be as straightforward as building canals. The best source for water for this area would probably be from the north via the Mekhong but, with the current dams being built this source might be compromised.

Sorry for any confusion. My ' idea ' would be as follows -- since all this water from Chiang Mai etc is flowing south and downhill towards Bangkok, you find a point on this route that is a similar elevation above sea level to that of Buriram. That's where your canal starts to divert water to regions that need it thereby doing away with any need to pump it uphill. Still seems like a very simple idea to me, all it needs is the planners to choose a route and engineers to construct it. Doesn't have to be that big either providing no greedy farmers choose to dam the flow to fill up their area -- which happens all too often. Unfortunately we have this problem with the river at the end of our village. It can rain all it likes but the river level stays low, then when the dams built by farmers upstream can no longer contain the water, we get it in a massive lump. Pretty dangerous too when it arrives.

Well thought out post - thanks!

I agree water can be stored for future use, canals and tunnels can be constructed to divert and reroute rivers - flood control structures can be put in place. What is necessary is proper design, engineering and construction - then proper maintenance and policing after construction.

Ms. Prime Minister should immediately hire a specialized engineering firm to do a proper, (nationwide not Bangkok only), feasability study and cost analysis to mitigate future occurrences. The government and landowners must cooperate before and after construction and of course financing for such a major undertaking would be difficult. It is no longer a question of who is to blame (Mother Nature??) it is a question of preventing the problem from recurring.

We will never know the real cost of this present flood. Once the water recedes than the cleanup work begins - where do they put the millions of cubic metres of silt from homes, streets, parking lots and yards? Where will people be able to dispose of all the ruined cars, motorcycles, furniture, appliances, electronics, etc., etc.

dig massive craters use the soil to raise land and use the holes to tip in the crap and scrap.

Has anyone noticed the deafening silence from Mr YKW who does not appear to be up front helping his poor unfortunate supporters with food and water from his plunder chest.

No headline grabbing even given the ardent support he gets from the media.

I cant look at the pix anymore of those poor people who will be swamped for months

Even if i were allowed to comment on the collective selfish incompetence you would not need any embellishment from me

I wonder what measures have been taken in the inevitable event of water born disease breaking out?

I suppose the kee will really hit the patlom

BTW

Any of you concerned readers know anything about other third world floods on this scale eg Bangladesh recently?

pls add your info on how it plays out

Robin

" homes of more than 20,000 people have been completely destroyed by the floodwaters with another 84,000 homes partially damaged.

The magnitude of a flood in 1998 was such that it lasted for over 70 days, which caused many in Bangladesh to question the effectiveness of previous flood control measures "

http://thewatchers.a...lace-thousands/

Edited by khaan

For my sixpence-worth, and I'm no expert, why not channel the unwanted water to areas where it is wanted by building a system of canals ? In the north-east of Thailand, Buriram area, we've had quite a lot of water this year. Rice crops doing nicely etc. We had even more water here 3 years ago, but in between, drought. Last year our rice crop failed due to NO water, not one grain of rice and this was the same for a huge area. We WANT water, we NEED water, so channel it here and save precious Bangkok the same misery it's currently having in the future. Far cheaper to build canals heading east than to try and circumnavigate Bangkok.....in my opinion

If you haven't patented that idea, you are a fool sir.

Asked whether flood water was about to swamp the heart of the capital, the city governor said, "It depends on whether more water will be entering Bangkok."

That answer did crack me up. A new entry for the "Stating The Obvious Award 2011".

Right, when you look at satellite photos, it's hard to imagine that the coffee saucer of Bangkok won't be totally inundated. It appears impossible to rationalize that the powers to be didn't know this, based on the volume of water and the two months up to their waists in Phitsanoluck and Ayutthaya and working its way down. It must have been an orchestrated scheme to manage damage control and try to sustain foreign tourists and possible investments. If you look for casualties, drowning, electrocution, succumbing to disease, the numbers that are published are astonishingly low, something like 50 electroctions, 387 drowings, 1 case of Cholera, some Leptospirosis, and no Thypoid. Do you believe these figures? Amazing, Thailand's genius at flood and risk of health management is just amazing. Thai leaders should immediately be engaged by every country as "experts" in flood disease management. They know how to save lives and minimize disease disaster.

In the end its just one hell of a lot of water and Bangkok is in the way

nature will always win... and you can't change the law of gravity...

even technologically sophisticated and relatively wealthy countries can't control nature... just look at the Mississippi flooding earlier this year and the Aussie floods...

The Aussie flooding doesn't compare to this. It drained away very quickly. The number of people affected by this flooding in Thailand is probably approaching the number of people living in the whole of Australia.

IMO - It is only a matter of time before all of Bangkok gets flooded

No one in charge has a clue how to stop it or how to redirect the water

You are probably correct so why not offer them some advice or are you the same as those in charge? Not A clue on What to Do. :ph34r:

I have lots of Clues on what to do, and I am more than happy to share them

IF those in charge would listen,

OR IF they pay me the same salaries/fees/tea-money as what they pay them :jap:

I also know that's NEVER gonna happen :whistling: (not the listening and not the paying)

However I would settle for the second one... I promise I will shut up :rolleyes:

Edited by thaiphoon
Font changed to standard font for easier reading

Why it's obvious - back in the canals... :lol:

You are probably correct so why not offer them some advice or are you the same as those in charge? Not A clue on What to Do. :ph34r:

Back in 1958 we used to do this drill in our city in the middle of the Canadian prairies. The city air raid sirens would go off and we would all get under our desks and roll up into a ball. This was in case of an attack by the Soviet Union which of course would have involved atomic weapons. The mentality of authority has not changed. Even in Canada the big thing was to look good even when you knew that when these kids roll up in a ball the most realistic thing they can do is kiss their ass good bye.

In the last few days a large meteorite flew between the earth and the moon. Had it hit the earth it would have annihilated a large percentage of life on this planet and all we could do is watch it come. The flood would have become completely irrelevant.

There are lots of ways to die and old age is not necessarily the best. I drowned once and other than the initial panic it wasn't really that bad. I saw my whole life flash before me including the smell of my grade 2 cloakroom. I think this was my brains last ditch attempt to find a solution in a hurry. But some nice person dragged me out of the water and brought me back to life and here I am. Maybe I get to return the favour now. I'll keep my eye out for you. Remember, the main thing we want to avoid is all dying at the same time. That would be really bad. So get out there and save some kid, even if it kills you. It is the best way to go.

The present government can not be blamed for the flooding .

What the government needs to do now though is look to the future and do some forward planning

So what can be done to reduce future flooding along the Chao Praya?

Maybe

Higher dykes and wall defences

Re-forestation to central and northern Thailand to slow the water run off

Deeper dredging of the Chao Praya to increase flow

Cleaning and dredging existing relief klongs

Extra relief klongs and underground large scale drainage systems

Building regulations introduced to prevent the obstruction of drainage and perhaps stipulating a minimum floor height above a notional high water level.

Long term ventures but the only way to reduce future risk

Back in 1958 we used to do this drill in our city in the middle of the Canadian prairies. The city air raid sirens would go off and we would all get under our desks and roll up into a ball. This was in case of an attack by the Soviet Union which of course would have involved atomic weapons. The mentality of authority has not changed. Even in Canada the big thing was to look good even when you knew that when these kids roll up in a ball the most realistic thing they can do is kiss their ass good bye.

In the last few days a large meteorite flew between the earth and the moon. Had it hit the earth it would have annihilated a large percentage of life on this planet and all we could do is watch it come. The flood would have become completely irrelevant.

There are lots of ways to die and old age is not necessarily the best. I drowned once and other than the initial panic it wasn't really that bad. I saw my whole life flash before me including the smell of my grade 2 cloakroom. I think this was my brains last ditch attempt to find a solution in a hurry. But some nice person dragged me out of the water and brought me back to life and here I am. Maybe I get to return the favour now. I'll keep my eye out for you. Remember, the main thing we want to avoid is all dying at the same time. That would be really bad. So get out there and save some kid, even if it kills you. It is the best way to go.

Ok, off topic here, but it's interesting. When your whole life flashed before you did it seem to last the same length as your whole life until that point or was it a few seconds fast forward feeling? Did you remember everything or just fast forwarding through bits. Only asking as it sounds like you were 30 seconds or less away from departing your mortal coil so to speak. Not many people get 'dragged back at that point'.

Biggest scam in history. Funny considering it is accepted as real by the overwhelming majority of global climate oriented scientists. To claim it is a scam is just a cynical political position that has nothing do with science.

And to claim that a benign and essential trace gas is 'imperiling the world', as John Reilly, the co-director of MIT's Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change, said yesterday, is equally a cynical political position that has nothing do with science.

Truth is, the debate never was about science; most of the deep alarmism comes from dispossessed Marxists, who were homeless after the collapse of the USSR. The environment is the perfect cause to keep harassing the capitalists, so the global warming scam is, if you like, the downstream flooding from the defeat of Communism two decades ago.

Wow! There are some strange theories on this forum but this is the weirdest yet..... (that I have seen- you may know of another)

That's the reason why we (me + mates) joined Thai Visa forum: it's like watching Monty Python movies.

the

Anybody have Moses mobile number? Somebody needs instructions fast because there's no stopping it! They hyave now decided to let Rama II flood! Nice to take credit in advance for the inevitable.

Great post.

Cannot stop Mother Nature at this point. She's has always been in control. Even now!!

Water flows towards the sea, not up into the mountains.

Hopefully, Thai government officials and experts not only from Thailand can come together to assist Thailand with this major issue.

So true, reroute the natural flow of rivers, streams, creeks, asphalt the ground that used to allow the water to seep, build next to the flow, plug up storm drains with garbage, and wait for the fat lady to sing.

Mother Earth is giving us all a wake up call, now she will see if we all wake up! (EVERYWHERE) Before her rage washes us humans right out of her hair.

ANYBODY OUT THERE!post-51002-0-29408200-1320533647_thumb.g

I'm just happy to be home here in the USA man the weather is cool fresh and crisp and the beer tastes great when it hits my lips! Take care of yourselves and get a life vest..

If Venice, why not Bangkok?

Why stop at Venice?

Bangkok - the Atlantis of the East

SC

In my home town, we still have markers of the last great flood, which came to the door lintels in the high street, I believe, back in 1948. But since we live in a fairly well-drained area, the water didn't stay long.

post-60794-0-04296300-1320470143_thumb.j

I suppose that gave them the incentive to put in place the flood control measures that have served us well to this day.

Biggest scam in history. Funny considering it is accepted as real by the overwhelming majority of global climate oriented scientists. To claim it is a scam is just a cynical political position that has nothing do with science.

And to claim that a benign and essential trace gas is 'imperiling the world', as John Reilly, the co-director of MIT's Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change, said yesterday, is equally a cynical political position that has nothing do with science.

Truth is, the debate never was about science; most of the deep alarmism comes from dispossessed Marxists, who were homeless after the collapse of the USSR. The environment is the perfect cause to keep harassing the capitalists, so the global warming scam is, if you like, the downstream flooding from the defeat of Communism two decades ago.

Wow! There are some strange theories on this forum but this is the weirdest yet..... (that I have seen- you may know of another)

It's not a theory -- just well-documented evidence, all the way from current Australian PM Julia Gillard downwards (or upwards). You can do the rest of the research yourself.

Communism and extreme environmentalism have so much in common; hatred of successful people, paying lip service to 'fairness', telling other people what to do, the heroic narrative of 'saving the world from itself', defining a single version of the truth, cult-like obedience to that truth, micro-control over other people's lives, vile abuse for non-conformists,

The list goes on, but another feature of cults is that people inside them never know that they are in one and thus fail to recognise their own behaviour.

Oh you mean All religions, however I think we are digressing a bit here, now apparently there is some flood coming on but I still havent seen any of it??

Experts are not needed, any student of physical geography knows the answer, equally any student of Thai culture knows they would never implement it.

The middle and lower reaches of the river are a series of meanders, this is typical of flat land. So in normal flow the water slowly meanders down to the sea. But when in full spate it is like a car that tries to take a bend too fast and goes off the road, the water does the same it can't follow the meander and overflows. In a natural environment the water will carve out a new more direct channel, the original meander is cut off and forms an "oxbow lake".

What Thailand has to do is work with nature, not wait hundreds of years for the river to straighten itself out, rather it needs to dig a straight channel through every meander.

However, this cannot happen because looking at the map you can see that every meander has been extensively developed with housing estates, high rise condos, hotels, department stores and factories, even an airport, many would have to go to clear a channel. But most of this development was by the elite, the rich, they would fight any such clearance tooth and nail.

So Bangkok is doomed because the cure is too draconian for those in power to stomach. I don't care which party is in power, none would have the guts to do what needs doing.

Maybe

Building regulations introduced to prevent the obstruction of drainage and perhaps stipulating a minimum floor height above a notional high water level.

I'd have not to hoard water in the big reservoirs when unusually high monsoonal activity is upon us at the top of your list.

Experts are not needed, any student of physical geography knows the answer, equally any student of Thai culture knows they would never implement it.

The middle and lower reaches of the river are a series of meanders, this is typical of flat land. So in normal flow the water slowly meanders down to the sea. But when in full spate it is like a car that tries to take a bend too fast and goes off the road, the water does the same it can't follow the meander and overflows. In a natural environment the water will carve out a new more direct channel, the original meander is cut off and forms an "oxbow lake".

What Thailand has to do is work with nature, not wait hundreds of years for the river to straighten itself out, rather it needs to dig a straight channel through every meander.

However, this cannot happen because looking at the map you can see that every meander has been extensively developed with housing estates, high rise condos, hotels, department stores and factories, even an airport, many would have to go to clear a channel. But most of this development was by the elite, the rich, they would fight any such clearance tooth and nail.

So Bangkok is doomed because the cure is too draconian for those in power to stomach. I don't care which party is in power, none would have the guts to do what needs doing.

What other way forward as many people have suggested a host of solutions, and as I posted earlier, if it was possible, and I personally think it is with time is to raise the level of the land. carve out some of the hills (then took away a mountain near Pattaya to build foundations for a giant motorway) your suggestion re straightening out the river is a proven thing-quicken nature and do it where you can. USE the land again that you dig out to raise the land on both sides of the river.raise any land that is low lying==including NEW industrial estate sites.

As I said in another topic dig gigantic craters use the soil to raise land again-then use the holes to get rid of rubbish, but recycle first. shout me down if you think the idea is a lost cause.

Maybe

I'd have not to hoard water in the big reservoirs when unusually high monsoonal activity is upon us at the top of your list.

With the resevoirs it's got to be a balance.. They need to be low enough to accept some of the water surges but at the same time they can't be allowed to fall too low before the wet season to ensure water flow when the rains are delayed or reduced below the average.

What other way forward as many people have suggested a host of solutions, and as I posted earlier, if it was possible, and I personally think it is with time is to raise the level of the land. carve out some of the hills (then took away a mountain near Pattaya to build foundations for a giant motorway) your suggestion re straightening out the river is a proven thing-quicken nature and do it where you can. USE the land again that you dig out to raise the land on both sides of the river.raise any land that is low lying==including NEW industrial estate sites.

As I said in another topic dig gigantic craters use the soil to raise land again-then use the holes to get rid of rubbish, but recycle first. shout me down if you think the idea is a lost cause.

Eventually that is what needs to be done. Unfortunately to raise the level of the land you have to demolish what's sitting on top of it first; then build it up, consolidate it and then rebuild at the higher level. Essentially you are talking about the total re-building of Bangkok and surrounding towns.. It's a very long term plan .

I'm just happy to be home here in the USA man the weather is cool fresh and crisp and the beer tastes great when it hits my lips! Take care of yourselves and get a life vest..

If Venice, why not Bangkok?

Why stop at Venice?

Bangkok - the Atlantis of the East

SC

In my home town, we still have markers of the last great flood, which came to the door lintels in the high street, I believe, back in 1948. But since we live in a fairly well-drained area, the water didn't stay long.

post-60794-0-04296300-1320470143_thumb.j

I suppose that gave them the incentive to put in place the flood control measures that have served us well to this day.

I'm in Chiang Mai the weather is cool and crisp and the beer really taste good.