Chalong Bay Beach House? Need Some Help.

YanCento

Hi all,

I thought about renting a beach house in Chalong bay (directly on the beach), buy a small boat and live the nice life there.

For me, when I see myself living right on the beach, the most important thing would be to be able to swim there, so I was very disappointed to read (in several places) that swimming is not recommended in Chalong bay...

For people who live there/know the place, I would highly appreciate if you can explain to me why is it not recommended to swim there. I don't care if it's not as beautiful as the other beaches in Phuket (everything has it's price right?) but is it dangerous to swim there as well? what makes it unsuitable for swimming?

I will be in Chalong bay during Feb 2012 but I am very curious to know the answer from people who know the answer already.

Thx in advance!

Edited by YanCento

It's sad to read your comments (which I truly appreciate!) as I thought I found myself a 20-25,000 Baht/month beachfront house in Phuket...

Is there a chance to find a 20-30,000 Baht/month beach house (not a condo) directly on a beach which is suitable for swimming?

I am not looking for those luxury, swimming pool, fancy stuff, 1 br would be just fine, the view and the location are what's important for me.

I am asking you guys cuz you live there and I know that Internet prices never reflect the real prices of rent.

Thx again for your comments and help!

It's sad to read your comments (which I truly appreciate!) as I thought I found myself a 20-25,000 Baht/month beachfront house in Phuket...

Is there a chance to find a 20-30,000 Baht/month beach house (not a condo) directly on a beach which is suitable for swimming?

I am not looking for those luxury, swimming pool, fancy stuff, 1 br would be just fine, the view and the location are what's important for me.

I am asking you guys cuz you live there and I know that Internet prices never reflect the real prices of rent.

20k to 30k for a beach house is cheap and for a reason.

Crap place to swim and it's hardly a beach unless you love the smell of diesel fuel from the longtails.

Let me guess, it's the house next door the the yacht club with a dog and a quirky entrance?

20k to 30k for a beach house is cheap and for a reason.

Crap place to swim and it's hardly a beach unless you love the smell of diesel fuel from the longtails.

Let me guess, it's the house next door the the yacht club with a dog and a quirky entrance?

BINGO! LOL - that's the house that attracted me to search for the house in Chalong bay.

The beach on the photos there looks quite good, the view from upstairs and downstairs are amazing and there is a room for the small boat:), but it's no longer important since the water is not good to swim for all of the above mentioned reasons.

What about Siray Island?

http://phuketrenthouse.com/33/phuket-city-villa-house-sea-view-near-beach-2-bedrooms

how are the beaches over there? does the island has an internet connection? are there any pubs there? (not looking for Patong style but some pubs would be great)

ANY comment would be helpful so I can focus on the right place/places during my visit.

By the way,

If i push myself to 35,000 would I have a chance to find a house on another Phuket beach?

Thx!

For reasonably priced houses, and very close to a beach, I would look at Ao Yon (there are 2 beaches, I'm talking about the one where the sailing schools are). Decent, very clean (depending on the monsoon) beach, which offers good swimming at any tide level. For a 1 or 2 bedroom 'cottage' in this area, I would reckon on circa 10/15,000/month. There are also good anchorages for boats there, but talk to the local 'chief'' about where you want to install a mooring, and dinghy/outboard security.

For reasonably priced houses, and very close to a beach, I would look at Ao Yon (there are 2 beaches, I'm talking about the one where the sailing schools are). Decent, very clean (depending on the monsoon) beach, which offers good swimming at any tide level. For a 1 or 2 bedroom 'cottage' in this area, I would reckon on circa 10/15,000/month. There are also good anchorages for boats there, but talk to the local 'chief'' about where you want to install a mooring, and dinghy/outboard security.

Spot on pagallim, exactly what I was thinking for the OP.

BINGO! LOL - that's the house that attracted me to search for the house in Chalong bay.

The beach on the photos there looks quite good, the view from upstairs and downstairs are amazing and there is a room for the small boat:), but it's no longer important since the water is not good to swim for all of the above mentioned reasons.

What about Siray Island?

http://phuketrenthou...each-2-bedrooms

how are the beaches over there? does the island has an internet connection? are there any pubs there? (not looking for Patong style but some pubs would be great)

ANY comment would be helpful so I can focus on the right place/places during my visit.

By the way,

If i push myself to 35,000 would I have a chance to find a house on another Phuket beach?

Thx!

I would guess what you are looking for you would have to have a budget of 60000 baht plus for a house

A decent house not on the beach but with a pool is 35000 baht or more a month

Spot on pagallim, exactly what I was thinking for the OP.

Ao yon is sensational. one of the best kept secrets on the island...its one fault is its very quiet after dark... but that suits some people