Unsung Heroes

Rooo

What an amazing story!

Really - do people die in Chaweng? I never knew this. Why is there no public information about how bad the beach and tides is there?

I'll be looking all the time for all these rescue people next time I'm on the beach. Thanks for somebody telling it like it is. Maybe Koh Samui is finally on the up!

R

Just to give you an idea of the scale of things here, in the February of 2010, in one afternoon alone, Chawengwatch rescued 63 people from the sea. The sea was rough, the red flags were furiously flapping in the wind and still people were ignoring all the danger signs. And, almost ridiculously, two life-rafts and a jet-ski were on the water all afternoon working non-stop to pull people out – a continual stream of them!

63?! If accurate, those are only the ones out there swimming who got in trouble. How many people in total ignored the red flags? Whoever puts up these flags should station someone out there to verbally warn people - obviously they need it.

Edited by koheesti

Just to give you an idea of the scale of things here, in the February of 2010, in one afternoon alone, Chawengwatch rescued 63 people from the sea. The sea was rough, the red flags were furiously flapping in the wind and still people were ignoring all the danger signs. And, almost ridiculously, two life-rafts and a jet-ski were on the water all afternoon working non-stop to pull people out – a continual stream of them!

63?! If accurate, those are only the ones out there swimming who got in trouble. How many people in total ignored the red flags? Whoever puts up these flags should station someone out there to verbally warn people - obviously they need it.

IMO warning tourist to stay out of the water is equal to warning them to wear helmets, makes no difference as they left their brains at home.

There were actually two Thai families and one farang, as I understand it. 63 people total.

All the Thai people just went bouncing out - did you read the story???

R

Edited by robsamui

IMO warning tourist to stay out of the water is equal to warning them to wear helmets, makes no difference as they left their brains at home.

So why were 99% of the rescued people Thai?

R

OK, simple solution, in addition to red flags, have a 1-meter tall mechanical shark fin circling in the water about 100m from shore. That's close enough to see and far off enough not to tell it's fake.

There were actually two Thai families and one farang, as I understand it. 63 people total.

R

Wait, 62 people in ONE Thai family? That skews the stats a bit.

R

Perhaps, we can stop detracting from the article & give credit where it is due. You are missing the whole point of the post & the article.

Please stop making fun of something that is supposed to be a recognition & a thank you to a job well done.

On my Samui blog I put warning posts up almost every year regarding the dangers of Rip tides. Just noticed that I missed out on a year.

Unfortunately I know of too many drowned people on Chaweng Beach and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's dangerous out there, this time of the year

R

Perhaps, we can stop detracting from the article & give credit where it is due. You are missing the whole point of the post & the article.

Please stop making fun of something that is supposed to be a recognition & a thank you to a job well done.

My husband has 41 first cousins. He could easily draw 62 people from one family.

Anyway, kudos to all involved its quite amazing to me when people totally ignore warnings and the signs of surf and still jump on out there.

I have been told if you get caught by a rip tide, then rather than use all your strength swimming against the flow, relax and let the tide take you, once the pull has subsided you have the strength to swim back to saftey, obviously not through the channel thats just dragged you out but to the side of it.

Starcandle, follow the link to my blog post, it will exactly describe how to deal when caught in a rip tide.

Rip tides and under tows are very common this time of the year along Samui's East coast, especially Chaweng.

As laudable as this is, my understanding is that they are "working" illegally. I think we have to respect the law, regardless of whether we feel that by breaking it we are "in the right."

I do think lifeguards are a good idea on the beaches during high season. I am sure a legal way for this to be done with foreigners as well as Thais can be worked out. Something along the lines of the volunteer police.

As laudable as this is, my understanding is that they are "working" illegally. I think we have to respect the law, regardless of whether we feel that by breaking it we are "in the right."

I do think lifeguards are a good idea on the beaches during high season. I am sure a legal way for this to be done with foreigners as well as Thais can be worked out. Something along the lines of the volunteer police.

We have to accept that sometimes the law is wrong.

I could not imagine leaving someone to drown becaus I have no work permit.

I wonder if the law of this land ever break the law themselves!!!! yes I can here the roar of laughter from here, from a no helmet fine to political assassinations, it's all here folks.

R

Sorry, you are out of line and owe me an apology. I didn't make fun of anything. These people are doing a great job. When I first read the article I was under the impression that they were up and down Chaweng Beach all day rescusing people when in fact it was one group. While the rescuers are doing a great job, the writer could have been clearer.

Yes, and it is a shame that they would be considered working illegally and punished if caught. They wouldn't be the first volunteers to have this happen to them from what I've heard.

I have been told if you get caught by a rip tide, then rather than use all your strength swimming against the flow, relax and let the tide take you, once the pull has subsided you have the strength to swim back to saftey, obviously not through the channel thats just dragged you out but to the side of it.

As long as it's not taking you too far out you struggle to get back in. The best bet is to swim sideways out of the rip. I'd bet most people drown in these conditions because they panic, the worst you can do is panic but for those without experience in these situations human nature will always win.

A big thank you to the guys who have taken the time, effort and risk without a thought for self and to help others.

"Sorry, you are out of line and owe me an apology. I didn't make fun of anything. These people are doing a great job. When I first read the article I was under the impression that they were up and down Chaweng Beach all day rescusing people when in fact it was one group. While the rescuers are doing a great job, the writer could have been clearer. "

Seems pretty clear to me . . .

"Which brings me directly to the unsung heroes of Chaweng. For the last five years, an anonymous group of men have been constantly on watch every afternoon. They insist on taking no credit and seeking no publicity ("The last thing we want is hassles from the authorities for 'working' at saving lives!")."

I know one of these guys and you will never know who they are unless you see them rescuing someone and then it might just be another farang on holiday helping out. Their goal is to not let one person die on their watch and since they have been on guard no one has. Last year I believe two people drowned on Chaweng Beach one in the early morning and one in the late afternoon. These guys are usually there from 3-6 every day. There is no organized group or anything. What they would like is that if you see someone drowning, yell at one of the jetski guys first and if they can't help, look for a rescue ring or float, and then only go out if you are a strong swimmer. Grabbing a panic-stricken Thai, while trying to support both of you in 2m waves is suicide without some type of flotation device.

For instance one day last week near the Centara Hotel there were 2m waves rolling in and four Thais (3 girls, 1 boy) were warned not to go out there. Hearing screams, one farang went out on a raft and got three of them as one was beyond reach without endangering the other three. Even though she was screaming for help he had to concentrate on the three he had and just sadly had to write-off the other one. Out of nowhere he saw a jetski and after screaming for a minute or two the jetski came over and was told to search for the girl who had drifted off at least another 50m away. Everyone was saved. Ironically, the farang was chastised by the jetski guy for taking Thais to play out in the dangerous waves, probably not realizing that he was the rescuer. This is another reason they remain anonymous. If a farang is rescuing a Thai who dies in the process, he can possibly be charged with the accident. This is, unfortunately, why many farangs do not interfere or involve themselves with any Thais who are in trouble. On the other hand how can one enjoy their Sunday on the beach while someone is screaming for help and one simply ignores them? If anyone wants to help just bring along a flotation vest or ring or raft and be observant. You will be doing your good deed for the day and that is its own reward.

Edited by parallaxtech

Didn't a lifeguard from Centara drown earlier this year?

I have a video somewhere of the beach near Fisherman's Village when the red flags were up. The waves were so insane that no one was near the water. Unfortunately, the danger isn't always so obvious.