Bikes On Tollways

jonnog

I saw a few going up the ramp on the tollway going along vipawadi-rangsit. That would be actually going over flooded roads though so perhaps different. I would guess you'd be okay then. All you'd have to do is give a teary story and you'd be fine. Doubt anything would happen anyway.

Let us know though. I might fancy a blast.

No problems in terms of the police IMO. But choose a quiet period - those tollways are packed now and can be quite aggressive at the best of times - I'm currently doing 90 kms a day on them and see some crazy stunts. A farang on a motorbike knowingly breaking the law might attract a bit of hostility from your average amulet wearing pickup/Fortuner driver. I'd 'probably' risk it but be prepared for some tailgating, beeping, flashing etc.

No problems in terms of the police IMO. But choose a quiet period - those tollways are packed now and can be quite aggressive at the best of times - I'm currently doing 90 kms a day on them and see some crazy stunts. A farang on a motorbike knowingly breaking the law might attract a bit of hostility from your average amulet wearing pickup/Fortuner driver. I'd 'probably' risk it but be prepared for some tailgating, beeping, flashing etc.

Exactly my thoughts as a biker.There have been several threads regarding why bikes are not allowed on the tollways.Since I drive the tollways by car very frequently and sees what happens there I wouldn't even consider driving on them with a bike if it was allowed to.

Everytime I see a BIB driving with his bike on the tollways in Bangkok I think about what a brave person he is.

Edited by janverbeem

Exactly my thoughts as a biker.There have been several threads regarding why bikes are not allowed on the tollways.Since I drive the tollways by car very frequently and sees what happens there I wouldn't even consider driving on them with a bike if it was allowed to.

What happens there? I am not familiar with the toll ways of BKK ...

Think 300 Thais in their Hilux' and Fortuners.

Crazy+driver.png

only 300? Dont forget about kamikaze buses.

But another thing are the wind flaws up on the highway at strong side winds it can be even scary in a car so on there's a possibility to get "blown off" the bike.

When I first came to Thailand I went twice on the motorway with my Tiger Boxer 200, not knowing that I wasn't allowed. Didn't know why people looked at me strangely and the girl at the toll was telling me something but let me through anyway. The second time there was a car accident and (unfortunately for me) the police was there and stopped me. Paid 1000Baht I think.

Apart from that, I didn't experience any of the above horror stories.

Now I wouldn't ride on motorways even if I could. There are too many great back roads to explore.

When I first came to Thailand I went twice on the motorway with my Tiger Boxer 200, not knowing that I wasn't allowed. Didn't know why people looked at me strangely and the girl at the toll was telling me something but let me through anyway. The second time there was a car accident and (unfortunately for me) the police was there and stopped me. Paid 1000Baht I think.

Apart from that, I didn't experience any of the above horror stories.

Now I wouldn't ride on motorways even if I could. There are too many great back roads to explore.

Bit different at the moment though. The tollways are free for 2-3 weeks which means everyone is using them, including people who have never driven on a tollway before because it was too expensive. Pottering along in a beatup Isuzu at 80 in the outside lane while Fortuners undercut them at 160. Saw one on Monday where the back wheel had fallen off an old pickup and it had skidded to a halt on the rear end leaving all kinds of shrapnel on the road. If all the other roads were flooded then I'd risk it on a bike out of necessity, otherwise I'd stay off them. Not too bad in a car though...