Bangkok Doesn't Deserve Its Special Protection And Privilege

webfact

i'm sure there's no intention of inciting personal insults against this man by posting up his picture

It's the exact same photo as used in any number of other web pages about him. So much so, one might imagine that it is the author's own personal favorite.

National University of Singapore Conference Moderator

http://www.nuspaf.nu...rs_profile.html

Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, Viewpoints

http://web1.iseas.edu.sg/?p=1087

Foreign Correspondents' Club, Hong Kong, Guest Speaker

http://www.fcchk.org...der=DESC&page=7

etc.

well the first link you provided is showing you a picture of him as the moderator and the piece is about him... so obviously they have his picture for that

the second link, the picture for the article is of judges in the supreme court... so i'd assume if that article was printed here they would use that picture instead of his face eh? i don't think so personally.

the third link, is again about him, advertising him as a guest speaker... so again of course they would use his picture

so i don't how the two link's of pieces about him showing his picture and the other link not showing his picture as the 'story picture' is relevant to the point i made...at all.

All 3 links have his picture.

All 3 links use the same picture as the OP.

All 3 links are situations whereby the author would seemingly have a choice as to what picture of him was used.

If the author doesn't have a problem with his same picture being posted around the internet, why do you?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 3 links are situations whereby the author would seemingly have a choice as to what picture of him was used.

If the author doesn't have a problem with his same picture being posted around the internet, why do you?

What a ridiculous anal retentive exchange.

i'm sure there's no intention of inciting personal insults against this man by posting up his picture

It's the exact same photo as used in any number of other web pages about him. So much so, one might imagine that it is the author's own personal favorite.

etc.

well the first link you provided is showing you a picture of him as the moderator and the piece is about him... so obviously they have his picture for that

the second link, the picture for the article is of judges in the supreme court... so i'd assume if that article was printed here they would use that picture instead of his face eh? i don't think so personally.

the third link, is again about him, advertising him as a guest speaker... so again of course they would use his picture

so i don't how the two link's of pieces about him showing his picture and the other link not showing his picture as the 'story picture' is relevant to the point i made...at all.

you've missed my point completely... it's not about whether he minds his picture being posted on the internet.

also do you not recognize that i'm clearly talking about the main picture being used for the article...as i've pointed out, two of the links were about him...so the main picture is justifiably a picture of him.....the other article is not about him so the main picture is justifiably not a picture of him!

it's why...when the stories aren't about him do the nation feel the need to post his picture as the article picture, rather than what the article is about, get it?

etc.

you've missed my point completely... it's not about whether he minds his picture being posted on the internet.

also do you not recognize that i'm clearly talking about the main picture being used for the article...as i've pointed out, two of the links were about him...so the main picture is justifiably a picture of him.....the other article is not about him so the main picture is justifiably not a picture of him!

it's why...when the stories aren't about him do the nation feel the need to post his picture as the article picture, rather than what the article is about, get it?

There are multiple articles he's written for Viewpoints (the 2nd one) using his picture. The same one as the OP.

Lots of articles post the author's picture.

Do we really have to see a portrait of this person every time he decides to preach to us? There must be something more interesting, relevant and appealing for us to look at.

He now live high and dry in Singapore far from the flood. So he must be at least a little smarter than you, knee deep in water.

I live high and dry in the hills near Chiang Mai, having left Bangkok forever more than twenty years ago.

There are multiple articles he's written for Viewpoints (the 2nd one) using his picture. The same one as the OP.

Lots of articles post the author's picture.

good lord...the second one, as i've already mentioned twice...the main picture is not of him instead it's related to what the article is about...

Again buchholz, using his picture at all is not the issue that i'm discussing... it's very clear the point i'm making and you're 'counterpoints' are not counterpoints to what i am actually saying!

anyway, i've made my point as clear as possible... so you can have the last word if you so wish

Edited by nurofiend

What an idiot. That's all that is worth saying.

And he does have the sort of smug face that you wouldn't tire of punching.

His trade is posting inflammatory articles on the internet to attract attention to himself, because he struggles to get peer reviewed articles published. He also published an unkind article about HM's dog on the same day (what talent!).

Basically, he's a second rate academic trying to justify his existence.

second rate academic?

B.A. (Hons) (International Relations) Chulalongkorn University, MPhil/Ph.D. (Political Studies), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.Lead Researcher for Political and Strategic Affairs, ASEAN Studies Centre.

There are cats with better bits of pointless paper qualifications than that.

This guy is a long time red shirt propagandist so it is not surprising to see an article like this. All this article is a preemptive strike on those who will criticism Yingluck, and it shows us what direction the red propaganda is planning on taking to combat the public relations disaster caused by he flood. The majority of places flooded to the north of Bangkok were seats won by PTP. So in order to keep support there, they must shift blame for their disastrous handling of the flood. In their propaganda campaign they will therefore claim that the only reason Ayuthaya and other provinces flooded at all, was because the rich Bangkok elite shut up their city behind flood walls and made those provinces flood, because they are selfish and full of hate for the common man. It's a complete load of BS, these places had horrific flooding before water even got the northern Bangkok at all and the government was already failing to deal with it, but that's what they need to do. Remember they have important issues to deal with like Thaksin's pardon and 76 billion baht and slashing corporate income tax, they can't afford to have riots from flood victims when they're trying to accomplish their real goals. They need the anger of flood victims to be focused upon some amorphous 'elite' as the real cause of their suffering.

And he does have the sort of smug face that you wouldn't tire of punching.

His trade is posting inflammatory articles on the internet to attract attention to himself, because he struggles to get peer reviewed articles published. He also published an unkind article about HM's dog on the same day (what talent!).

second rate academic?

B.A. (Hons) (International Relations) Chulalongkorn University, MPhil/Ph.D. (Political Studies), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.Lead Researcher for Political and Strategic Affairs, ASEAN Studies Centre.

stupid, dumb, animal, cats eh?

have you got better qualifications?

second rate academic?

You've never heard of Dr. Zoe D. Katze, Ph.D., C.Ht. then http://www.dreichel.com/Articles/Dr_Zoe.htm

BKK is the Nation's Capitol and logistics hub. If hit doesn't deserve to be protected what dose? I guess this scumbag red shirt terrorist bastard isn't happy with the buildings the terrorists burnt down and looted during the red shirt riots, now he wants to flood Bangkok too. &*#( him and ^# who ever thinks that way.

The last time Siam lost its so-called independence was in 1776, when Ayutthaya was sacked by foreign adversaries?

Were the WWII Japanese friendly occupants? Were they domestic, rather than foreign, adversaries? Or is it simply that that little piece of history didn't happen the way we understand it happened?

You've never heard of Dr. Zoe D. Katze, Ph.D., C.Ht. then http://www.dreichel....cles/Dr_Zoe.htm

no, can't say i have,,,

Well you have now, if you bothered to follow the link. If a real four legged feline can acquire a Ph.D ..... well, make your own mind up.

In answer to your other question, I have some, are they better? no, not really. People should be measured on what they do, not what they say ..... especially if everything they say is meaningless tripe.

You've never heard of Dr. Zoe D. Katze, Ph.D., C.Ht. then http://www.dreichel....cles/Dr_Zoe.htm

no, can't say i have,,,

Well you have now, if you bothered to follow the link. If a real four legged feline can acquire a Ph.D ..... well, make your own mind up.

In answer to your other question, I have some, are they better? no, not really. People should be measured on what they do, not what they say ..... especially if everything they say is meaningless tripe.

"People should be measured on what they do, not what they say"

one or the other is it?!

also, if you stand by your statement then what the hell are you measuring him by what he's saying for?

seems like you don't stand by your own motto, even in the same post.

but then again, i'm of the persuasion of including the measurement of people by what they say.

The last time Siam lost its so-called independence was in 1776, when Ayutthaya was sacked by foreign adversaries?

Were the WWII Japanese friendly occupants? Were they domestic, rather than foreign, adversaries? Or is it simply that that little piece of history didn't happen the way we understand it happened?

I think you might be lost brother :ermm:

For the author it's "elitist and imperial", for the mayor of Bangkok to want to minimise the flood-damage, in the city he is elected to serve ? Would then a Red-Shirt mayor not then have tried equally hard, to avoid damage to the capital, in the same situation ? This article is foolish & dangerous claptrap IMO ! :bah:

The economic-cost & human-disruption of flood-damage in the capital is clearly vastly greater, than that incurred by flooding in rural farm-land, although both are of course regrettable. So whether on cost-grounds alone, or considering the number of people whose lives & livelihoods are endangered, it would be stupid not to protect Bangkok, as far as that is possible.

Is the article intended to impress their supporters in the capital, or merely to try to shift some of the blame, for the government's poor communication & performance in recent months ? It happened on their watch ... better get used to the criticism which will come their way. B)

For the author it's "elitist and imperial", for the mayor of Bangkok to want to minimise the flood-damage, in the city he is elected to serve ? Would then a Red-Shirt mayor not then have tried equally hard, to avoid damage to the capital, in the same situation ? This article is foolish & dangerous claptrap IMO ! :bah:

The economic-cost & human-disruption of flood-damage in the capital is clearly vastly greater, than that incurred by flooding in rural farm-land, although both are of course regrettable. So whether on cost-grounds alone, or considering the number of people whose lives & livelihoods are endangered, it would be stupid not to protect Bangkok, as far as that is possible.

Is the article intended to impress their supporters in the capital, or merely to try to shift some of the blame, for the government's poor communication & performance in recent months ? It happened on their watch ... better get used to the criticism which will come their way. B)

They are sharing the blame, and playing to their supporters in the political game that goes with the flood. There are a lot of people north of BKK and in some flooded parts of BKK who are angry with the BMA and its governor for not opening their floodgates. Polarized country and all that and that decides where people aportion blame too.

Didn't you all know that only the rich elite live in Bangkok, everyone drives a gold plated Mercedes and wears platinum and ruby encrusted Rolex watches... h*ll, even the motorbike taxi guys all ride ducati's and drink the finest single malt whiskey from their fine crystal M150 bottles!

Then of course, just outside of the glorious capital everyone is a serf and lives in mud huts, eats dirt poisoned with the feces of the Bangkok elite and drink the urine of 1000 lepers. They are made to work 36 hours a day for 3 baht a week and have to walk uphill to get to work and back again.

Any serf caught within 5km of the city limit is shot by one of the Royal Police enforcers and their heads are put on spikes on top of the 100ft obsidian walls that surround the city.

/That's about as accurate as this 'opinion' piece/

Thanks MunterHunter. Made me chuckle.thumbsup.gif