90 Year Lease

bitewhentested

hi your situation is a bit ;ike mine i am in my early 40s single no children etc. i just wanted to have a own home where i can

live until i die, i used the userfruct method so i can do with the property what i want until the day i die. It cost me 10.000baht for

a lawyer to draw up the usurfruct and accompany me to the land office. than there was the price of registering the usurfruct

on the chanokee which i can not remember maybe around 12.000(maybe tea money not sure and i dont care)

I'm under the impression that 30 years is the limit for lease or Userfruct.

Unless you have PR, anything apart from renting is fairly daft IMHO.

You can easily work out the numbers so that you can see the pros and cons of renting vs leasing cost wise. I did exactly that when I bought a house here and for many of the reasons you did.

I sold it when I realised that the Thai Gov't/local officials can make life very uncomfortable for expats, at a whim, and having money tied up here would restrict any future movements for me.

Now rent, have my funds invested overseas and can pack a suitcase and leave the country at a moments notice......all cashed up and ready to try a new country/life if necessary.

Still enjoying Thailand but have the freedom to move as and when it pleases me.

Got to agree with you, just sold my house for the same reason now I will feel more able to just pack and go with my family if the ...t hits. Now looking to invest some money long term in something safe.

hi your situation is a bit ;ike mine i am in my early 40s single no children etc. i just wanted to have a own home where i can

live until i die, i used the userfruct method so i can do with the property what i want until the day i die. It cost me 10.000baht for

a lawyer to draw up the usurfruct and accompany me to the land office. than there was the price of registering the usurfruct

on the chanokee which i can not remember maybe around 12.000(maybe tea money not sure and i dont care)

That's my understanding also. Anything longer than 30 years is not enforceable, also, when a property is sold the new owner is not obligated to adhere to the existing lease but is required to adhere to the usurfruct, providing it was registered at the Land Office along with the Chanotte.

Usufruct can be for life - longer than 30 years in some cases - see post #23.

And you can arrange for it to be transferred to a 3rd party on your demise, if you wish.

And you can arrange for it to be transferred to a 3rd party on your demise, if you wish.

My reading of the original Thai law is death or 30 years, whichever comes first.

My translation may be incorrect, on the other hand ...........

My reading of the original Thai law is death or 30 years, whichever comes first.

My translation may be incorrect, on the other hand ...........

No, you're correct if death comes first the usufruct ends for the usufructary....but it may have been transferred to children, in which case they take over the usufruct.

If you live over 30 years the usufruct remains 'until death'.....I think. huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

That's my understanding also. Anything longer than 30 years is not enforceable, also, when a property is sold the new owner is not obligated to adhere to the existing lease but is required to adhere to the usurfruct, providing it was registered at the Land Office along with the Chanotte.

Why do you think if a property is sold that the new owner is not obligated to a lease which is listed on the land title?

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Why do you think if a property is sold that the new owner is not obligated to a lease which is listed on the land title?

MSPain

If it is registered on the land title then both a lease and an ufrstruct are enforceable after the sale, apologies if my prior post was misleading, I had intended to convey the point of both being enforceable if both were registered but rushed things and did a poor job.