Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

For crying out loud people......these laws do not apply to bars and clubs....only to the service stations, mini marts etc...

All they are doing is tightening up an existing split hour law that is already in place for non entertainment retailers of booze. The only way it will affect bar drinking is if you want to pick up some beers on the way home after the bar has shut.

all this talk about bars and tourism is totally irrelevent to this topic

Er, first line of the OP;-

"BANGKOK: -- All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said."

Sounds like bars to me. Or have I missed an update somewhere?

Edited by Crossy

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This law has been in effect for a couple of days and the first post said "All stores as well as venues serving drinks must stop selling at midnight" so is there anyone who has been out drinking who can tell me if the bars are closed at midnight.

Yeah I have been out in Bangkok - bars Etc. did not seem affected - but can do more research if you send me some more cash! :o

I think the above quote comes from an un-informed official not ready to take chances - as when you read all the other official quotes it relates to shops/stations/7-11 Etc. not to entertainment venues.

Cheers!

Loss of jobs.

I was thinking about a (24HR) gas station near where I lived in BKK.

With the shortened hours for gas sales, some of the young staff  lost their jobs, with the no booze sales decree, even more will lose their jobs.

Just another example of this stupid gov't not thinking things through properly.

A good example of "cause & effect"

How many youngsters will be forced in to prostitution....... AGAIN!  :o

You know no matter what happens we can leave the Thia's would have much harder time.

Alcohol sale rules tightened

PHUKET: The hours when alcohol may be sold in shops and supermarkets are to be shortened with effect from January 1, 2006, the Phuket Provincial Excise Office has announced, after receiving orders from Minister of Finance Thanong Bidaya.

From New Year’s Day, sales of alcohol in retail outlets will be allowed only between 11 am and 2 pm, and between 5 pm and midnight. Currently, the evening sales hours are 5 pm to 2 am.

In addition, shops at gas stations will be barred from selling alcohol at any time, as will shops “near” schools or places of worship. The term “near” was not defined.

[Er, first line of the OP;-

"BANGKOK: -- All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said."

Sounds like bars to me. Or have I missed an update somewhere?

Have you ever heard the term "Lost in translation"? Remember this article would have been written by a Thai and then probably proofread, and the word venue is one of a list of possible words to be used. Try looking at the synonyms for the word venue on MS Word or a thesaurus.

PHUKET: The hours when alcohol may be sold in shops and supermarkets are to be shortened with effect from January 1, 2006, the Phuket Provincial Excise Office has announced, after receiving orders from Minister of Finance Thanong Bidaya.

From New Year’s Day, sales of alcohol in retail outlets will be allowed only between 11 am and 2 pm, and between 5 pm and midnight. Currently, the evening sales hours are 5 pm to 2 am.

In addition, shops at gas stations will be barred from selling alcohol at any time, as will shops “near” schools or places of worship. The term “near” was not defined.

I'm in agreement with this :o

I thought you might be Dave. :D BTW, you and the Mrs have changed a bit :o

I'm in agreement with this :D

I thought you might be Dave.  :D  BTW, you and the Mrs have changed a bit  :o

I'm in agreement with this :D

No we ain't, You were pissed the last time you saw us :D

We'll be down there in about 3 weeks, i'll give you a bell :D

I think its kind of amusing how one thread in weeks past was denouncing the evils of drug abuse and how a long sentance was light penalty for a partys worth of pills.. Yet the gov makes a law to marginally restrict drinking hours and the sky is falling, tourism is dead, and peoples civil liberties are being trampled underfoot...

Personally I dont believe this law will have any teeth.. As it stands when I am on a bender I can drink until 7 or 8 am in one of many many places around me if I so want..

Do I like it ?? Of course not, seems misguided and I dont like nanny state politics (one reason for coming here was the lack of gov petty rules and its 24 hour feeling) but I really just feel it isnt going to make a difference on the ground..

Have you ever heard the term "Lost in translation"? Remember this article would have been written by a Thai and then probably proofread, and the word venue is one of a list of possible words to be used. Try looking at the synonyms for the word venue on MS Word or a thesaurus.

Mitch. Yes, of course (crap film though). The reason I read this as including bars is simply that STORES are separately mentioned., who actually knows what is meant.

Anyone seen it in the Thai press? Maybe we can become enlightened.

It doesn't really affect me, my days of 2AM (or even 1AM) drinking are well over (except for special occasions of course).

Edited by Crossy

My hearing is not the best...did you say you will RING the bell ???????

I don't want anyone to think that I am a freeloader, but I love the sound of ringing bells.

It reminds me of Sundays in church. :o

My hearing is not the best...did you say you will RING the bell ???????

I don't want anyone to think that I am a freeloader, but I love the sound of ringing bells.

It reminds me of Sundays in church. :o

Sorry i'm a tightwad :D I've never rung a bell in a bar since i've been here :D

PCN in pattaya's news.

Police meeting urges Police chiefs to continue their work of enforcing Thailand’s Social Order Policies.

At Banglamung Police Station a meeting chaired by Police Colonel Jamnong, Deputy Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police took place which was attended by senior officers from Region 2 to discuss further operations which will take place regarding Social Order Policies laid down by the Central Government in Bangkok. These regulations encompass entertainment venues and prostitution which are particularly relevant to Pattaya. Orders were given to conduct further checks on venues and suspected prostitutes and to ensure that venues adhere to licensing regulations. Youth crime was also on the agenda and checks will be made across the province for young people who are involving themselves in anti-social and criminal activities such as petty theft and drug abuse. A recent ruling regarding the sale of alcohol in shops and bars was also discussed which states that all venues and shops must stop serving alcohol at Midnight. This regulation has already come into force however this controversial item, which has prompted angry reactions from bar owners and shop owners across the country is now the subject of further discussion between law makers

:o

• 1 month later...
no-alcohol.jpg

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts at 10,000 gas stations nationwide, stores in school campuses and places of religious worship, he said.

The restrictions would go into effect on January 1 and stores in the listed locations would lose their licences when they expire on December 31.

The ban of alcohol sales at gas stations is now in effect.

Does this mean that they will not be permitted to sell that carp they call Gasohol as it contains as much alcohol as strong beer??

no-alcohol.jpg

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts at 10,000 gas stations nationwide, stores in school campuses and places of religious worship, he said.

The restrictions would go into effect on January 1 and stores in the listed locations would lose their licences when they expire on December 31.

The ban of alcohol sales at gas stations is now in effect.

Does this mean that they will not be permitted to sell that carp they call Gasohol as it contains as much alcohol as strong beer??

The taste would be a bit iffy :D

I tried to buy beer at a petrol station on Sayurday only to be told is was illegal for them to sell it. Next to the counter were many bottles of whiskey. I pointed to them and asked if they were allowed to sell them. The guy at the counter just smiled and said "How many bottles do you want?" :o

Fortunately, I believe that one will still be able to drink at any hour from the comfort of their home. If someone is a tourist at a hotel, then they can always open the mini-bar in their room; or perhaps go to the bar within the hotel (if available). I have heard that hotels are exempt from certain restrictions that are imposed on regular bars.

If drinking is to stop at 12am at bars, then it is probably certain that the bars will also close at that hour. IMO, it would not be cost effective to remain open.

It would be interesting to read the actual words of this new law. If it bans the "sale" of alcohol, then that is one thing.... but the "serving". They have to be careful with their choice of words, so as not to leave a loop-hole.

It seems that a bar could allow a person to bring in their own bottle (BYOB), and earn revenue by selling the mixers and ice. Or charge a 1000 baht cover charge, and then provide drinks for free (with the cheapest and nastiest tasting alcohol known to man). :o

If drinking is to stop at 12am at bars, then it is probably certain that the bars will also close at that hour. IMO, it would not be cost effective to remain open.

It seems that the government goes back some 25 years.

When I first landed in BKK and visited Patpong with some friends I said "He, there is a powercut...." since ALL the lights were cut off, at 12Midnight sharp....(streetlights, barlights etc)

When we travelled to Phuket a few days later it was the same. ALL bars closed at 12Midnight, except from 1 small roundshaped bar (no lights, just a few candles) along the beachroad with a shrewd fellow who staid open.....HOW he managed to do that, I still don't know...the prices were almost double though.

The positive thing was that we 'started' strolling along the bars earlier in the evening and had an early sleep and were on the beach earlier than one does now; the fact remains that 25 years ago there were 24 hours in a day..... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Are they deliberately trying to destroy the tourist trade?

I think it's easy for farang to feel that every such move is directed at them but the truth of the matter is such decisions affect far more Thais than they do foreigners. These moves are directed at Thais.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this government would love to simply enact a curfew and keep people off the streets on the overnight. Knowing how unpopular such a move would be if done explicitly, the powers-that-be simply create a de facto curfew by making establishments close (entertainment venues, petrol stations, etc.) and banning the sale of refreshments past a certain hour. If people have no reason to go out because there is no longer anywhere to go, they'll stay home.

Guess bars will fold, girls will be out of work and crime will surge. If you own a bar better think of other ways to make an income.

Why do people Thais and others need to be forced to stay at home after midnight.? I work along with Thais until early morning 3am-5am and we all would like a cold beer after sending 120 tons of cargo on its way.

These politicians have no undersatnding of law nor justice. What is the real reason (s)? Ask, how is this gonna help Tox make more money and you will get the answer. Is he jealous of the Chang Beer Tycoon?

Edited by ilyushin

All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

It does say "selling" so presumably one could order and pre-pay for ones drinks before midnight, then have them served between that time and when the bar closes - in the same way as some bars I go to will allow you to pre-order post-happy-hour drinks at happy hour prices, just before happy hour finishes.

The only proviso is that you must pay for the drinks even if you do not drink them, so people don't abuse the system, the bar still sells drinks and the punter gets them at a good price.

If they expect the bars to actually stop serving as well, then I would expect to see quite a commotion from the owners of entertainment venues.

It may not affect some of the tourists yet, but if it is taken to the extreme that it could, then it will force more bars out of business. The reduced trading hours they enforced a while ago did destroy some businesses at that time, or at least forced cuts that affected the staff.

I have no wish to see fighting and drunkeness on the streets either, but I really object to this form of government control in this day and age.

Controlling the retail sales in supermarkets and mini-marts of alcohol is one thing, as these stores will operate and continue to provide services in the form of sales of other products to the public, but this form of control over the hours when entertainment venues may sell alcohol is not necessary, will do little to stop those who wish to drink to excess from doing so, and will directly have a negative effect on the earnings of businesses within that sector of the economy - with the obvious flow-on that staff will be affected too.

I am very concerned at the increasing government control over our lives - generally in the guise of it being "good" for the masses...

Edited by Greer

This has been a fascinating thread since it's inception as breaking news back on the 17th of November. Here we are now in early January and the sky hasn't fallen yet.

When what we take for granted is in the hands of big business, there's no knowing just what will happen over the next few months in this power struggle between industrial titans.

The manufacture of alcohol in this country is controlled by two very large, poweful and extremely influential families, the BhiromBhakdi's (Boon Rawd Co., Singha,Leo) and the family of Charoen SirivadhanaBhakdi, Thailand's richest man and the founder of Thai Beverage Pcl (Chang Beer, Sang Som,) (I actually believed Thaksin was the richest but..........) Soon to list on the Singapore exchange since they were refused a listing on the SET.

These two families control virtually all liquor production in the Kingdom. They are staunch supporters of TRT and thus Thaksin. I am sure they are concerned about the amount of liquor and beer that Thais drink. Right?

On the other side of the line we have Dhanin Chearavanont,CEO of Charoen Popkhand Group,one of the largest agribusinesses in the world. He also, of course, is one of the wealthiest men in Asia. C.P. Group also controls True Corp, formerly Telecom Asia Lotus (Tesco)Supercenters,and the entire 7/11 franchise in Thailand. True owns United Broadcasting Corp. (U.B.C.) True/Orange is in direct competition with Shin Corp/AIS. Cutting sales of liquor in mini marts will hurt 7-11. Chearavanont is not a supporter of Thaksin. In fact he is Democrat inclined.

He has been a major influence in Thai-Chinese business and has massive investement in Chinese feedmills.. The empire is controlled from C.P.Tower on Silom Rd. His company would be a major supplier of chicken to the Russians should the government foolishly decide to trade chicken wings for Sukhoi SU30 wings.

As far as the sale of alcohol is concerned, after the bars close at 1am, along the entire stretch of Sukumvit Rd, from Soi 5 to Soi 19 one can find tin tables set up, with beer,hard liquor and food all on sale out in full view of anyone who happens to be walking along that area at that time of night. Certainly not Fred and Mavis and the kids from Bexley, but as we all know the boys in tight brown have to control this situation and they do that very well, thank you very much!

The more things change,the more they stay the same. Welcome to the wonderful world of Thailand. :o

Here endeth the lesson.