Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

I think there are plenty of places in South East Asia with beautiful tropical beaches, good food, and a much less regulated nightlife. Where I can find pretty much the same things I like about Thailand, without the aggravation.

Bali, Malaysia (Langkawi)...I don't think they are more attractive than Thailand, even with new restrictions. What are other places you think of?

"Quality tourists" is what Thailand wants and I don't blame them for that.

How many times I changed my mind where I sit on a beach or even left at a sight of tatooed football hooligans already drunk lunch time.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING NEWS:

Nationwide Midnight ban on alcohol now in effect

no-alcohol.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

===================================================

More of then "Toxin-o-Ligics" . . . . . . . watch-out chaps; next thing you know, he's going to ban girls wearing things ! ! ! ! ! - then, where would we be, hey ? ? ? ?

Ridiculous, Infantile yet - very dangerous "Control-Freak" is our PM ! :o

Very appropriate move by Toxin, (amended)

Cheers.........:D

11pm did you say I 2nd the amendment to the motion :D -why not 10pm like the good old days :D yes I support the amendment to the original motion :D Taxin - Toxin who gives a Tossin - just give me one for the klongin. Jeez things are bad Hubs & Pubs - Chickens & Chokins - A blokes gunna be accused of makin a mockins -- Now what was the quokin :D hunkin do i thunkin of ta gay sornakin :D chuwit chuwit :o off to the honkin I goin.

Nationwide (Midnight) (Elevenpm) (tenpm) ban on alcohol now in effect as soon as the vote is carried all those in favour say Aye.

Deadly Silence was the answer - Last call Gentlemen :D Deadly Silence :D Ladies and Gentlemen :sorry:but there seems to be a problem "Due to the accute lack of Understooding of the English Wunkin Aye no votes have been cast- Back to the bedkun/tinktank or ting tonkun for :burp: some more thunkin.

Edited by mijan24

News from upcountry:

In the last few days, police have "cracked down" on all the micro-distilleries in our cluster of villages. :D And I thought they had licences! :D

Don't know if this is related to the new law, or whether the local fuzz just want to score for the end-of-year promotion round. :o

Isn't it strange that most of the dissent here seems to come from farangs.

It is worth reminding ourselves that we are guests in someone elses country and that the administration is seeking to control something that really does need a measure of control.

Laws such as this, restricting drinking hours,  have been in force in european countries for many, many years for exactly the same reasons that the authorities here are seeking to enforce them.  The UK has been (until recently) no exception. 

My fellow contributor (Noel) finds it funny that I would describe Pattaya as a 'wicked town'. Go into the websites of the Bangkok Post or the local Pattaya papers and look up how many murders there have been in the last 10 days including the Editor of one of those newspapers.  Look at the late night carnage on the roads and (above all else) look at the ghoulish delight with which the local Cable TV stations carefully record each scene in all it's gory detail, including a suicide (Don't jump just yet luvvy - we haven't got the light right).

We are all to blame here - visitors, expatriate residents and Thai's alike.  If there is an effort to clean it all up then we should support it and not pander to our own selfish desires and expectations.

Yes I did find the ‘wicked town’ reference in your previous sermon amusing. :D

Why on earth you choose to live near such an offensive place is odd to say the least.

I also find it comical that you find it: “… strange that most of the dissent here seems to come from farangs”.

Just for your information, this is the Thai Visa Thailand Expat Forum. :o

In your latest epistle you defend your ‘wicked town’ claim by reference to murders, carnage on the roads and the attitude of Cable TV stations in reporting what they call news.

Using those criteria, most towns and cities across the globe would doubtless be deemed ‘wicked’ in your eyes.

As for your preaching: “We are all to blame here…” and:” …we should support it and not pander to our own selfish desires and expectations.”, what a load of twaddle!

It is clear that Pattaya, or anywhere near such a ‘wicked’ place, is not for you. I am sure there must be a pulpit waiting for you in some sleepy little parish far away from the realities of the world where your sensibilities will not be so readily offended.

That said, I’m still wondering why you choose to live near Pattaya.

Could there be certain attractions within the ‘wicked town’ that appeal to you…? :D

Taxin - Toxin who gives a Tossin

Love that line! Incidentally, note that I only included that line in the quote. Too many of us forum members, sober or not, tend to click on the quote/reply without editing.

The result is a bloody mess of old stuff, and it's not clear what specific part the new post was meant to reference.

It's like telling a joke or story - brevity and clarity enhances the effect (in most cases).

Here's the trick. After quote/reply, delete everything between the "quote" bookends (the first and last), except for the words you want to keep. That makes it easier for all of us to follow, and makes George happier because it reduces wasted space on his server. :o

I think we should go further.

1- Everybody says that Thaksin rules for himself, businesses, and his businesses.

;-)

2-However, week after week we see some real attacks against business community (tobaco stand, alcohool etc.).

= there is a bug somewhere.

Here is my theory : Thaksin has made a step further. From the "tycoon" (regular asian character), now he thinks that he has a "moral" crusade to do.

From the "making money" motto, he switches toward "i want to change my fellow citizen".

Don't you understand ? It's a clear sign that this guy is loosing his mind, and start to believe that he has a special mission to accomplish for his country.

Thaksin number 2 appears to be really different compare to Taksin 1 (first term).

He's going to become an autocratic ruler : a dictator in a word.

And the worst of them, historically, are the one who believe that they have "a mission", that they must change "life" etc.

Childish goverment. Grow up already.

I don't smoke and rarely drink but this campaign by the Gov makes me want to start smoking and start drinking and they know this unless their brains have expired. No press is bad press. So are the fag companies paying the gov workers for all the press? So the gov workers still have their fags in their offices. Doesn't surprise me.

Don't care really. No point in it here.

Edited by silk123

I think we should go further.

1- Everybody says that Thaksin rules for himself, businesses, and his businesses.

;-)

2-However, week after week we see some real attacks against business community (tobaco stand, alcohool etc.).

= there is a bug somewhere.

Here is my theory : Thaksin has made a step further. From the "tycoon" (regular asian character), now he thinks that he has a "moral" crusade to do.

From the "making money" motto, he switches toward "i want to change my fellow citizen".

Don't you understand ? It's a clear sign that this guy is loosing his mind, and start to believe that he has a special mission to accomplish for his country.

Thaksin number 2 appears to be really different compare to Taksin 1 (first term).

He's going to become an autocratic ruler : a dictator in a word.

And the worst of them, historically, are the one who believe that they have "a mission", that they must change "life" etc.

taxin has some good ideas about thais bad habits ,too many bad cancerous livers around .Thai livers need all the help they can get .

So Thai livers will applaud taxin....

and look at the traffic carnage new years from drunken drivers!

they are bad enough sober behind the wheel.

Are they deliberately trying to destroy the tourist trade?

I think it's easy for farang to feel that every such move is directed at them but the truth of the matter is such decisions affect far more Thais than they do foreigners. These moves are directed at Thais.

Yeah, it will effect lots of Thais if the tourism is affected, since tourism is one of the largest sources of income for the whole country. In the long run it might affect peoples desire to come here, or visit again. Just my ten cents...

Just been on the phone to a mate who owns a gogo in walking st and his wife has just got off of the phone with the licensing department in Laem Chabang, it applies to ALL shops, bars etc at the moment. Of course until the letters start coming out we will ignore it and I also have been told by my lawyer that there are (obviously) alot more discussions going on at the moment, i think (hope) we'll be ok. :o

Sorry but I didn't bother to read all of the replies to this topic.

I don't think that the latest edict from the incredibly smart Toxin government will be a problem for us "alco's" because the "little shop down the road" will always sell alcohol...for a slight mark up.

As per usual, the only bad thing generated from the inane governments inane decision, will be the expansion of the already flourishing Black Market. Less jobs equals more crime. Combine this idiot rule with the already ludicrous pub/club closing hours & you get increased prostitution/drug use & selling....just to make ends meet. If the idiots in charge are seriously "moral", then they will hopefully learn from all the other countries that have beeen through this process & realise that "education" is the most helpful thing, not banning. Over control leads to rebellion.

They get some points for trying but they will exceed in getting points for complete stupidity.

News from upcountry:

In the last few days, police have "cracked down" on all the micro-distilleries in our cluster of villages.  :D And I thought they had licences! :D

Don't know if this is related to the new law, or whether the local fuzz just want to score for the end-of-year promotion round. :o

Well, I got my plastic bag filled with liquor for today.

This is turning into a 'scoring' operation.

Had to venture into the next village to find out who is selling. Unless you know someone, they won't tell you, then you got to wait for the man to return home and humbly present your request. :D:D

Ok lets get back to reality.....the split hours for purchase of alcohol has been in for quite a while already, it does not apply to bars or nightclubs but to sevice stations, mini marts, corner stores etc....

This the law that is being changed.

If the Government wanted to affect the bars they would simply change the closing hours as they have done in the past. I would think that by saying, you can open till 1am but you have to stop serving beer at 12 midnight would be very hard to police, and even easier to exploit.

I would also say that it is aimed more at the Thais than at the tourists, I dont object to restricted alcohol sales near temples and schools for obvious reasons.

:D
I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

Maybe it's just me - but so what? Are we all so pathetic that this is major news? Are we all so dependent on alcohol? Are we all that sad? No? Just me then ...!!

I totally agree with you, dude. Did those of us who moved here voluntarily seriously do so just to be able to drink 24/7?

The laws that are being talked about won't stop you from drinking 24/7. They WILL stop a holidaying couple from going out for an occasional late meal accompanied by a few glasses of wine if that meal lasts past midnight.

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the FREE)?

Or was it to live in a land where you're just another sheeple? :D:D:D

I moved here for the reasons I already mentioned. If I can't get a drink after midnight, I'm not about to pack it in. Also, I moved here after 15 years of living in Japan. You want to talk about Draconian, not to mention arbitrarily imposed, laws and punishments???!!!! Japan takes the cake.

I also was tired of all the bureaucratic bullshit associated with working not only in Japan, but also in the banking industry. I retired at 39 and moved to Thailand, have my own business, a new car, a work permit, a non-immigrant "B" visa, and 20,000,000 baht worth of property, and I achieved all this legally and in less than 2 years. Bitch all you want about the "comical" transgressions of the government, but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life (can you claim the same, endure?). Fewer drunken, puking, fighting idiots who choose not to come here is just fine with me. :D

Golly, Freedpat, you're so sa-mart it's odd that you've entirely lost the plot: that the Thailand which Endure describes is becoming too much like the Japan you hated.

Now i'm going to do you a favor you don't deserve by teling you this: when you publicly brag about your accomplishments and wealth, you make yourself look quite moronic to those of us who are much wealthier and more accomplished --- ie, your superiors on the very scale you endorse.

CBinParadise, what is moronic is making personal insults in what is supposed to be a forum to exchange intellicgent opinions and ideas on the topic of the day. A few points, however, in my "moronic" defense.

I never said I hated Japan, but only that I was tired of the bureaucratic bullshit that is endemic in both the banking industry and the government. This is not exclusive to Japan but is common among all governments and big business as a means of maintaining the status quo.

I responded to endure's question of "Why did you move to Thailand?" I simply stated the reasons why I did move here and my accomplishments thus far to illustrate the fact that not serving alcohol after midnight is not going to deter me from remaining here.

You conveniently forgot to quote other parts of my post, where, if you look carefully, I used the evolution of Koh Samui from a cheap-accomodation-and-beer-bar-having haven to a high-end resort as an example of how, despite the seemingly arbitrary laws enacted by the government over the years - including changing closing times to 1am (do you recall the naysayers predicting complete collapse of the tourism industry following the adoption of this law?) - this new law is unlikely to have dire consequences or any long-lasting effects on either the tourism industry or the country as a whole. Nor did you seem to notice that I did, in fact, state that it is regrettable in that Thai bar owners will likely suffer as a result of the implementation of this law.

At no point or in any way did I endorse this law, and I, in fact, think it is ridiculous and regressive for a supposedly developing country. I was merely responding to the posters who, in my view, think the world is going to come to an end because they can't get a drink after midnight.

Finally, you tar yourself with the same "moronic" brush by stating that you are my superior because you are wealthier and more accomplished and, by extension, smarter than me.

In fact, you failed completely to actually give an opinion on the topic at hand in favor of making a personal attack against me, a comment that by its very nature proves the exact opposite. It just goes to show that it's difficult to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

En guard, smartass!

What's the line from Hamlet... "I could be confined to a walnut shell and count myself the king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams...."

At least I have my cardboard box. If I start ripping up little pieces of paper and writing baht signs on them can I be wealthy and important like all you guys?

:o

"Steven"

The lawmakers here ie the politicians and cops probably have kids who have been spending too much time, in their opinion downing booze in bars around town instead of coming home at a reasonable hour.

This is their naive attempt to get the brats under control.

No master plan in action here. Not possible as planning is not part of doing things.

This might be completely moronic on my part, but does it occur to anyone else that the recent hike in taxes on beer and spirits was done in anticipation of a drop-off in liquor sales because of the stricter closing hours? If so, it seems well-planned, especially if there isn't any slide in consumption... more baht in the government coffers.

Sigh, I-Am-A-Moron. :o

Yep, just bought a gallon of rice whisky to bridge the time the local black-market distillers will need to re-stock after the recent "crackdown". :D

BTW, you're quite active here tonight, Brit, how come? :D:o

Edited by zzap

I can maybe live with the midnight limit but not being able to have a cold beer on the beach in the afternoon is just stupid.  :o

Actually, this 11am-5pm curfew for selling alcohol has been in force already at least 2 years. Yet, I've never had any troubles in getting a beer at beach or from a 7-11/minimart. The only 7-11 I've ever truly seen to follow this curfew is the one near WTC in BKK (opposite to it, across Rachadamri). Some minimarts do it occationally but if you're ready to pay 10b/can more than regular price they gonna sell it to you anyway! :D Another possibility is to go to the shop next door.

It's a bit same with the bar opening hours. I recently visited Patong and I honestly don't know what the opening hours in there nowadays are. Some say they should close at 12pm, some at 1am, some at 2am. In effect, however, all the bars now seem to be open as long as there're just customers (with loud music and full lights). After the customers are gone you can go and check out the discos, they are usually open late. And if they are not just go uphill to Safari which closes, I don't know, 6am?

Same thing was in Isaan in many towns. The local disco was open until the morning. And in BKK you can always go to Ratchada, etc. It is just that nobody truly cares of these regulations. The police is the last to react (unless forced by high authorities), they just collect their tea-money and are happy to let things be as they are. And the politicians? They just make these decisions to look good on the eyes of conservatives. That will always give them a few extra votes.

Isn't it strange that most of the dissent here seems to come from farangs.

It is worth reminding ourselves that we are guests in someone elses country and that the administration is seeking to control something that really does need a measure of control.

Always one with this moronic reply. Everytime. Usually the ones with little experience in Thailand and who believe societies in farangland should bend over backwards for immigrants with free housing, free schooling, free welfare cash, free food, affirmative action, quick citizenship...

You know what? Many of farangs on Thaivisa are here on legal visas, pay taxes, have Thai citizen spouses and children, business investments, employees, etc. So, yes we do get a voice.

And as ray23 said, this is a farang forum. How many Thais do you think read ThaiVisa? Some, but not alot.

Given your opinion of Pattaya, why do you live there? I wouldn't live in Pattaya, but it is fun to visit once a year for a night of bar hopping and such. You chose to live in a redlight area. Don't complain. Move.

Arbitrarily changing the closing hours like this will not affect the ones that the government claims to be trying to "help". The reason given, and the one I see a lot of people using on both sides of the argument here in TV is that it will help prevent people getting rolling/puking drunk...absolute rot!

If someone is predisposed to get as drunk as they can and then start throwing up over all and sundry, they will simply start drinking earlier.

This is exactly the same logic as applied during earlier crackdowns saying that they wanted to stop Thai youths from drinking and taking drugs, so they closed bars and entertainment venues at 1am...the logic in this seems to work quite well because, as everyone knows, Thai and Western kids ONLY take drugs after 1am, so if you close the places they hang out at by 1am, they will be unable to take the drugs - presto! Problem solved...

If you are puzzled by the whole thing - the endangered animal menu, the earlier and earlier closing of bars and the general attitudes of those "in control"...then I can only say that I suspect you have not lived in Asia for very long...this is a very common thread throughout certain parts of the region...look at the background of the administration in those countries and you will see the answer staring you in the face. :o

Talked to my staff about this one. They hadn't heard of it yet. According to our cook she feels it isn't about controlling drunk driving, people's health or anything to actually help society. She feels (and she is Thai) that all Taksin really has in mind is to control every little aspect of people's lives in this country.