Pacquiao Vs Marquez

AGems

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully better than Hopkins and Mayweather's recent fights....Hopkins was robbed, Floyd was going to win anyhow, but sad he ended up taking it in that manner (not that I blame him).

Need Pacman to win this one...to set up the best Asian fighter probably ever, against the best defensive master ever (equal best IMHO with Sweet Pea).....if only they can come to an agreement on a 3 fight rubber; the highest paying series of fights perhaps in the history of the sport.

I can dream right??!

Usually Truesport 2 or 3 have these fights on live.

I only have the basic Thai channels as I don't usually watch TV :(

With the 15 hours time difference between Las Vegas and Thailand, the fight will probably take place early morning on the 13th (Thailand local time) and I guess sports bars will be closed.

I was hoping one of the regular channels (channel 7 or channel 5) would broadcast it live. This is an historical fight given the results of the last fights between those 2, and I really don't want to miss it :unsure:

Not on local channels I am afraid, find a friend with cable and befriend him with beer in lieu of rights to watch the fight at his/her place. These fights from the vegas are shown around 8am our time I believe?

I don't think any of my friends will be tempted by beer at 8am on a Sunday morning :D

Maybe coffee and donuts though...:)

hopefully better than Hopkins and Mayweather's recent fights....Hopkins was robbed, Floyd was going to win anyhow, but sad he ended up taking it in that manner (not that I blame him).

Need Pacman to win this one...to set up the best Asian fighter probably ever, against the best defensive master ever (equal best IMHO with Sweet Pea).....if only they can come to an agreement on a 3 fight rubber; the highest paying series of fights perhaps in the history of the sport.

I can dream right??!

While you are at it............. Dream that The Pac Man will allow himself to be drug tested this time. Unless he has something to fear wink.gif

These fights from the vegas are shown around 8am our time I believe?

There are prior fights which will be around 8 or 9am. If it'll be the same as previous Pac fights, the main event'll be around 11am or so.

Edited by RKeith

Need Pacman to win this one...to set up the best Asian fighter probably ever,

I'm just curious, who is the other Asian fighter that made you choose the word "probably"? I don't think there is even a close 2nd.

Not on local channels I am afraid, find a friend with cable and befriend him with beer in lieu of rights to watch the fight at his/her place. These fights from the vegas are shown around 8am our time I believe?

Are you sure? Every Pacquiao fight has shown on local channels in the last couple of years. Pacquiao is an icon in Thailand and I'm sure there's a huge number of Thais wanting to see this fight.

Mayweather vs Ortiz was shown on ASTRO Supersports back in September. If it doesn't show on there it will be on Thai Channel 7, unfortunately on Thai Channel 7 you don't get English commentary and you lose parts of the rounds to commercial breaks.

Trivia:

Pacquiao has fought 7 Thai boxers in professional fights and twice on Thai soil. The last time was in 2004. It's no wonder the Thais have a strong connection with him.

It's hardly ever mentioned, but the Thai boxer Medgoen Singsurat handed Pacquiao one of his few loses on September 15, 1999 in Pakpanag Metropolitan Stadium in Nakhon Si Thammarat (near Phuket). This was only the 2nd and last time Pacquiao has been knocked out. It was a body punch in the 3rd round which put him out. It was a flyweight title (112 lbs) fight, but Pacquiao was stripped of the WBC Flyweight title before the fight because he came in overweight.

It's hard to find much on the fight because Pacquiao wasn't well known at the time. There are a few poor quality videos of the fight available on YouTube.

the knockout punch (from Thai Channel 7).

Here's a little extract I found on the fight from ESPN Sports

Pro Fight No. 28

Opponent: Medgoen Singsurat (18-0)

Date/Site: Sept. 17, 1999; Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand

Result: Singsurat by TKO in 3

Why it matters: Turning pro at 106 pounds at age 16, Pacquiao steamrolled opponents with blazing speed and left-handed power that hurt like a bigger man's.

Sometimes, though, he lacked focus or got careless. In his first five years, he lost twice. In his 12th fight, he was trailing fellow Filipino Rustico Torrecampo in Round 3 when Torrecampo knocked Pacquiao down and out -- in a collision that seemed to combine a low blow and a head butt. (The TV announcer said Pacquiao's eyes were crossed when he revived.) Neither the referee nor Pacquiao knew what hit him, and he swallowed his first defeat. In his second loss, he was listless versus undefeated Medgoen Singsurat. By Round 2, the undefeated Thai was pounding Pacquiao on the ropes, and Singsurat ripped a body shot in the third that put Pacquiao down for good. Pacquiao had been struggling to make weight, and that was his last fight at 112 pounds.

Singsurat is a south paw.

Edited by tropo

I can dream right??!

While you are at it............. Dream that The Pac Man will allow himself to be drug tested this time. Unless he has something to fear wink.gif

+1

I can dream right??!

You may have overlooked something. All these boxers fighting in Las Vegas are already tested by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Mayweather insists that Pacquiao take additional tests because he is a coward and afraid of losing his "0". He doesn't want to fight Pacquiao.

Mayweather may have dominated Marquez to a unanimous decision but he couldn't put him down even with the weight advantage he had. Pacquiao will likely do the job that Mayweather couldn't.

Mayweather insists that Pacquiao take additional tests because he is a coward and afraid of losing his "0". He doesn't want to fight Pacquiao.

Mayweather may have dominated Marquez to a unanimous decision but he couldn't put him down even with the weight advantage he had. Pacquiao will likely do the job that Mayweather couldn't.

This!!!

Edited by RKeith

This guy was definitely better

http://en.wikipedia..../Khaosai_Galaxy

In those days there was not as much publicity for asian fighters, but this guy was heads and shoulders above Pacman

He fought all comers and wasn't knocked out by an unknown thai club boxer as happened to Pacman

Although I like Pacman, I would like him even more if he didn't only fight washed up fighters with famous names, or limited skills(start the list here mosley, clottey, delahoya, now marquez, hatton, etcetc)

This is what stage managed fighters (Like Mike Tyson)do, all fighters have been handpciked by his management team to ensure a huge payday and easy win but not a great fight

-I would love to see him fight some tough up and comers who are undefeated

-Pacman is lucky to come along at a time where there is a shortage of talent in boxing in general, for a variety of reasons

-He should take that drug desk if he is clean(why wouldn't he?) and then turn the tables on Mayweather, and demand a fight immediately...Mayweather could not then resist without being branded a coward

-the all time greats in the lighter weight classes would have quickly taken Pacman apart and knocked him out with his limited defense, Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hangler, Arguello, Pryor, etcetc

-like all fatcat fighters he only wants the paycheck but not the tough battles

Good luck to him and I hope he will start to fight decent fighters so he can become one of the all time greats

Need Pacman to win this one...to set up the best Asian fighter probably ever,

I'm just curious, who is the other Asian fighter that made you choose the word "probably"? I don't think there is even a close 2nd.

Edited by tailspin

Dude, are you comparing a Muay Thai boxer to Pacman? I'll take that and we can compare him with Tiger Woods or Babe Ruth then :whistling:.

As for the drug testing, I just read in the news that to shut the doubting spectators and the media circus, Manny asked to be tested a minute before the fight or even a minute after if need be.

Anyway moving along and to add more hype to those excited to see the bloodbath this Sunday, Bob Arum: The only time that I saw Manny train as hard for a fight was when he (Manny) fraught de la Hoya... (then when asked about a Mayweather Pacquiao fight) The funny thing is, that all of us (Manny's training crew) are much more confident in beating Mayweather than beating Marquez. Marquez's style is very very tough for Manny as a counter puncher and so forth. Mayweather, his style is made for Manny. He will get knocked out within 3 or 4 rounds by a Manny-right-handed punch.

I agree. Seeing Marquez in 24-7, he looks so focused and beastly. This should be a fun event!

source:

Edited by RKeith

In those days there was not as much publicity for asian fighters, but this guy was heads and shoulders above Pacman

He fought all comers and wasn't knocked out by an unknown thai club boxer as happened to Pacman

I had to read up on Khaosai, and he certainly seems like a very tough competitor but, he never stepped out of his comfort zone to challenge anyone in a higher weight division.

According to your link, he fought 50 fights as a bantamweight (115 lbs) and that's it. It is mentioned that he only once fought outside of Asia (in Curacao) and all but 4 of his fights were in Thailand. The reason given: "That, plus the fact that few top fighters anywhere were willing to challenge Khaosai, made him relatively unknown in the West".

Why didn't he stretch himself and look for tough competitors a division or so above his? To me he seems a bit like Mayweather, wanting to protect his nearly unblemished record as a bantamweight.

Pacquiao is a warrior and instead of sitting at home thinking he's too good - no one wants to fight me, he searched out tough competitors the world over and went out to fight them - in 8 weight divisions. If Pacquiao had done like Khaosai and stayed home he would have had a very limited career and just like Khaosai, he'd be unknown.

From what I can see Khaosai doesn't hold a candle to Pacquiao. Saying he was "head and shoulders above Pacquiao" is just nonsense.

I stand by my original assessment - Asia hasn't seen a professional boxer even close to Pacquiao.

As far as your comment about Pacquiao only fighting washed up fighters - that's also nonsense. He's fighting the best out there, besides Mayweather, who is a coward.

Bear in mind he is a prizefighter. His competitors need to earn a fight with him by building up a career first. He's not going to jump in with some young bum with no experience just to satisfy people like you who don't understand the business.

As far as making money in concerned - it's pretty obvious that a prizefighter is not going to fight for peanuts. If there is no public interest in a fight it's not going to happen.

Edited by tropo

the fact that you never hear about galaxy speaks volumes about your knowledge of boxing

Thai boxers generally have no say who or where they fight as they are controlled by a network of handlers businessmen etc

Therefore to say he did not want to fight is just nonsense

Galaxy along with all of the other fighters I mentioned would have knocked Pacquiao out due to his crap defense(which is improving but goes out the window when he gets hit)

Here is a homework assignment for you , name the great fighters who Pacquiao has beaten when they were at the top of their game......

is there even one? the last time he fought a guy in his prime was morales in 2005 and guess what he lost heavily!

6 years of looking for easy fights has padded his record

He should come clean on the drug testing as well.

Respect must be earned ......

I had to read up on Khaosai, and he certainly seems like a very tough competitor but, he never stepped out of his comfort zone to challenge anyone in a higher weight division.

According to your link, he fought 50 fights as a bantamweight (115 lbs) and that's it. It is mentioned that he only once fought outside of Asia (in Curacao) and all but 4 of his fights were in Thailand. The reason given: "That, plus the fact that few top fighters anywhere were willing to challenge Khaosai, made him relatively unknown in the West".

Why didn't he stretch himself and look for tough competitors a division or so above his? To me he seems a bit like Mayweather, wanting to protect his nearly unblemished record as a bantamweight.

Pacquiao is a warrior and instead of sitting at home thinking he's too good - no one wants to fight me, he searched out tough competitors the world over and went out to fight them - in 8 weight divisions. If Pacquiao had done like Khaosai and stayed home he would have had a very limited career and just like Khaosai, he'd be unknown.

From what I can see Khaosai doesn't hold a candle to Pacquiao. Saying he was "head and shoulders above Pacquiao" is just nonsense.

I stand by my original assessment - Asia hasn't seen a professional boxer even close to Pacquiao.

As far as your comment about Pacquiao only fighting washed up fighters - that's also nonsense. He's fighting the best out there, besides Mayweather, who is a coward.

Bear in mind he is a prizefighter. His competitors need to earn a fight with him by building up a career first. He's not going to jump in with some young bum with no experience just to satisfy people like you who don't understand the business.

As far as making money in concerned - it's pretty obvious that a prizefighter is not going to fight for peanuts. If there is no public interest in a fight it's not going to happen.

This!!!

That was the issue before, but Pac has ALREADY SAID TWICE he will do the additional drug tests.

Mayweather: Take the tests.

Pac: Ok

Mayweather: um...... Take the test.

Pac: ok I will take the test.

Mayweather: To be the best take the test .

Mayweather is just repeating the same old crap, all the legends of the sport are calling out Mayweather and so is the media.

Mayweather needs to take the Pac test which is to grow some nuts and get in the ring.

the fact that you never hear about galaxy speaks volumes about your knowledge of boxing

Thai boxers generally have no say who or where they fight as they are controlled by a network of handlers businessmen etc

Galaxy along with all of the other fighters I mentioned would have knocked Pacquiao out due to his crap defense(which is improving but goes out the window when he gets hit)

Here is a homework assignment for you , name the great fighters who Pacquiao has beaten when they were at the top of their game......

is there even one? the last time he fought a guy in his prime was morales in 2005 and guess what he lost heavily!

Galaxy would of got Raped, he does not have the power to keep Pac off him, thats for sure.

Great fighters who Pac beat. Ledwaba, JMM, Morales, Larios, MAB, Hatton (not to far off), Cotto (current 154 champ).

The thing in boxing, people will automatically say a fighter was shot or over the hill when they lose.

Also Morales did not beat Pac heavily, it was a close fight which Pac revenged by knocking him out twice.

You hear that Mayweather has contacted Morales and wants the fight at 147 pounds? lol

provide a weblink to validate this conversation, or did you hear this down at the pub

This!!!

That was the issue before, but Pac has ALREADY SAID TWICE he will do the additional drug tests.

Mayweather: Take the tests.

Pac: Ok

Mayweather: um...... Take the test.

Pac: ok I will take the test.

Mayweather: To be the best take the test .

Mayweather is just repeating the same old crap, all the legends of the sport are calling out Mayweather and so is the media.

Mayweather needs to take the Pac test which is to grow some nuts and get in the ring.

skill more than power is needed to keep off a fighter, especially one with Pac's one dimensional style.....think Ali,

a fighter with even a decent jab and good footwork alonw might beat him

none of the fighters you mention was great or in their prime

Hatton? c'mon get serious, who did he ever beat? I would actually rate him as terrible.

Cotto? Already punch drunk and brain damaged from getting hit with juiced gloves against Margarito

Morales-already over the hill by the time he beat Pacman due to the many wars he foought against other mexicans

the rest of your list is just club fighters

Pacman dodged the chance to fight Valero before he died, and he dodged Yodsanan of Thailand for years as well.....

Why doesn't Pacman go ahead and do the drug test, hold a press conference with the results, and call Mayweather out?

Also why does he make those "mysterious" training trips to Asia before each fight? Because of the great training facilities????

On a different but related topic, most of the MMA guys these days, look very juiced up....as there are zero controls

Galaxy would of got Raped, he does not have the power to keep Pac off him, thats for sure.

Great fighters who Pac beat. Ledwaba, JMM, Morales, Larios, MAB, Hatton (not to far off), Cotto (current 154 champ).

The thing in boxing, people will automatically say a fighter was shot or over the hill when they lose.

Also Morales did not beat Pac heavily, it was a close fight which Pac revenged by knocking him out twice.

You hear that Mayweather has contacted Morales and wants the fight at 147 pounds? lol

Edited by tailspin

Here we go - as always in these arguments - anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't know jack about boxing. The forums are full of "experts" like you going back and forth on arguments about who is the greatest....

You're beating to your own drum here and you're entitled to believe what you want to believe, but the point remains, your Thai boxer had never tested himself adequately to be able to compare himself with the greatest - Manny Pacquiao.

Padding his career? You can't be serious - you must be fantasizing.

Edited by tropo

you should respond to the points raised....which you clearly haven't done....in boxing I think they would call it punching above your weight/knowledge class, an expert you are not. Do not feel bad, just do more research before discussing topics where you are clearly out of your depth

Here we go - as always in these arguments - anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't know jack about boxing. The forums are full of "experts" like you going back and forth on arguments about who is the greatest....

You're beating to your own drum here and you're entitled to believe what you want to believe, but the point remains, your Thai boxer had never tested himself adequately to be able to compare himself with the greatest - Manny Pacquiao.

Padding his career? You can't be serious - you must be fantasizing.

here is the fight that fans want to see....instead team pac-man is making excuses and taking a runner on this one

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=14429

if he wants to be great, do the drug test, beat this martinez, knock out mayweather and fight one last time against a top notch opponent before retiring.....

btw look at the combined record of the last 5 guys martinez fought....all quality guys at the top of their game.....he takes on all comers

Edited by tailspin

<br />skill more than power is needed to keep off a fighter, especially one with Pac's one dimensional style.....think Ali, <br />a fighter with even a decent jab and good footwork alonw might beat him<br /><br />none of the fighters you mention was great or in their prime<br />Hatton?  c'mon get serious, who did he ever beat?  I would actually rate him as terrible.<br />Cotto?  Already punch drunk and brain damaged from getting hit with juiced gloves against Margarito<br />Morales-already over the hill by the time he beat Pacman due to the many wars he foought against other mexicans<br />the rest of your list is just club fighters<br /><br />Pacman dodged the chance to fight Valero before he died, and he dodged Yodsanan of Thailand for years as well.....<br /><br />Why doesn't Pacman go ahead and do the drug test, hold a press conference with the results, and call Mayweather out?<br /><br />Also why does he make those "mysterious" training trips to Asia before each fight?  Because of the great training facilities????<br /><br />On a different but related topic, most of the MMA guys these days,  look very juiced up....as there are zero controls<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br />
<br />the fact that you never hear about galaxy speaks volumes about your knowledge of boxing<br />Thai boxers generally have no say who or where they fight as they are controlled by a network of handlers businessmen etc<br />Therefore to say he did not want to fight is just nonsense<br />Galaxy along with all of the other fighters I mentioned would have knocked Pacquiao out due to his crap defense(which is improving but goes out the window when he gets hit)<br />Here is a homework assignment for you , name the <u>great fighters</u> who Pacquiao has beaten when they were at the top of their game......<br />is there even one? the last time he fought a guy in his prime was morales in 2005 and guess what he lost heavily!<br />6 years of looking for easy fights has padded his record<br />He should come clean on the drug testing as well.<br />Respect must be earned ......<br /><br />
<br />Galaxy would of got Raped, he does not have the power to keep Pac off him, thats for sure.<br /><br />Great fighters who Pac beat. Ledwaba, JMM, Morales, Larios, MAB, Hatton (not to far off), Cotto (current 154 champ).<br /><br />The thing in boxing, people will automatically say a fighter was shot or over the hill when they lose.<br /><br /><br />Also Morales did not beat Pac heavily, it was a close fight which Pac revenged by knocking him out twice.<br /><br />You hear that Mayweather has contacted Morales and wants the fight at 147 pounds? lol<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The drug testing is not an issue if you have been following boxing lately. Pac already said they will do the tests.

You are picking apart Pac's resume, you can do that to ANY fighter if you want. Also saying Galaxy is head and shoulders above Pac who is regarded as the best boxer of the last decade just shows you clutching at straws here.

Yeah anyone who loses is always considered shot. Cotto so punch drunk he has moved up in weight and is the champion. Hatton was not a great, but far from terrible. He was still the lineal 140 Champ at the time though and undefeated at the weight.

Someone with a decent jab and footwork beats Pac? We talking about the same fighter here? Or you talking about his brother Bobby?

<br />provide a weblink to validate this conversation, or did you hear this down at the pub<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Mayweather insists that Pacquiao take <b>additional</b> tests because he is a coward and afraid of losing his "0". He doesn't want to fight Pacquiao.<br /><br />Mayweather may have dominated Marquez to a unanimous decision but he couldn't put him down even with the weight advantage he had. Pacquiao <b>will</b> likely do the job that Mayweather couldn't.<br />
<br /><br />This!!!<br />
<br /><br />That was the issue before, but Pac has ALREADY SAID TWICE he will do the additional drug tests.<br /><br />Mayweather: Take the tests.<br />Pac: Ok<br />Mayweather: um...... Take the test.<br />Pac: ok I will take the test.<br />Mayweather: To be the best take the test .<br /><br />Mayweather is just repeating the same old crap, all the legends of the sport are calling out Mayweather and so is the media.<br /><br />Mayweather needs to take the Pac test which is to grow some nuts and get in the ring.<br />
<br />

This is common knowledge with most boxing fans that Pac has agreed to take the tests and its not even an issue anymore. Flomos and Floyd just keep repeating the same thing about taking the tests when he has already agreed.

Also in your other post you mention why does Pac train in Asia before he heads over to the wild card.

You do know Pac lives in Asia right? You do know he is Asian right? You do know he does his promotions etc before he goes to the wild card. You would even know this if you watched a 24/7 of his.