Pacquiao Vs Marquez

AGems

Have to agree here, as I saw Pacman breathing through his mouth alot from Round 6 or so, so he may not have been in greatest shape of his career

He was also lunging badly on his overhand lefts(which he always did but not this bad), and lifting his back foot off the ground so his balance and foot work was not quite there

A sharp fighter would have timed these lunges and stepped diagonally forward to either side, and maybe knocked him out.

Luckily for him he was in with the soft hitting Marquez who backpedalled the whole fight

I had it a draw.

Although the rounds Marquez won, he did it clearly. The rounds Pac won could of gone either way.

Marquez look much sharper this time around at WW and not with a pot belly like his last attempt at WW.

Pac looks like he is on the decline, his footwork was not there and did not seem sharp at all. Pac looked tired to me after the 6th round onwards.

Marquez just always had Pac's number so it did not shock me how this fight played out.

I think Mayweather will now be willing to fight him, if Pac's legs are gone and on the decline, Mayweather should beat him.

Pac should have 1 or 2 fights max before he retires, you could tell he was not the same fighter he once was.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the worse Pacquiao I've ever seen. Even Roach saw this and asked him to pick it up before Round 6 started. I believe Manny got lucky here. But the judges score cards can't be forced. I also saw the stats and Pac clearly won by an edge. Marquez connected punches, 138 of 436 to the 176 of 578 for the Filipino, and landed 100 power punches compared to his opponent's 117. Lucky Manny!

And geez, around the 10th, Nacho telling his fighter he's already winning. Imho, he lost this for Marquez. If he made a few more power connects on the last round, he would have had this in the bag.

Edited by RKeith

I had it a draw.

Although the rounds Marquez won, he did it clearly. The rounds Pac won could of gone either way.

Marquez look much sharper this time around at WW and not with a pot belly like his last attempt at WW.

Pac looks like he is on the decline, his footwork was not there and did not seem sharp at all. Pac looked tired to me after the 6th round onwards.

Marquez just always had Pac's number so it did not shock me how this fight played out.

I think Mayweather will now be willing to fight him, if Pac's legs are gone and on the decline, Mayweather should beat him.

Pac should have 1 or 2 fights max before he retires, you could tell he was not the same fighter he once was.

Mayweather has always been willing to beat Manny up and today you saw why. "The veil has been lifted."

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11187.html

Interesting analysis as it repeated some of the points I previously noted. Based on pacman's perormance here and unwillingness to fight the best, I have had to adjust my all-time Asian boxing great list and downgrade him to number 5.

1. Pancho Villa - Phil.

2. Khaosai Galaxy-Thai

3. Fighting Harada - Japan

4. Yodsanan - Thai

5. Pacman - Phil

I am hoping he will fight the best so he can become an all-time great and climb back up this exclusive list .

I had it a draw.

Mayweather has always been willing to beat Manny up and today you saw why. "The veil has been lifted."

http://www.fighthype...ntent11187.html

This Pacman gets the daylights beaten out of him by Mayweather!

Do you mean Mayweather will finally have the courage to face him? If people think the way you do, the value of that fight will have diminished significantly and Money Mayweather will be making a lot less money.

Pacquiao vs Mayweather has always had "snoozefest" written all over it.

I read the article. And you said you saw why. Can you be more specific why? Mayweather has always been scared to tarnish his perfect record. Any professional boxer knows an opponent's performance is only part of his calibre. It's the boxer's style and ring habits that makes him dangerous. This is the main reason why Mayweather's scared to face Pacquiao. Boxing analysts have repeated now and again that Manny is made for Mayweather. Remember Hatton. The reason why the Marquez Pacquiao fight wasn't too exciting is because of Marquez defensive style. He knows how to keep Manny at a distance or else Manny'll be connecting shots and defeat him. This has always been the same since their second fight. That's also the reason why Pac was reported to have been training extra hard and early for this fight. Marquez is a wall. Manny's lucky he landed more punches than Marq. But we clearly saw Marq's power punches were cleaner. But there weren't enough numbers to get him a win. This is the problem with counter-punching. And freakin Nacho as well. Nevertheless, despite yesterday's fight having "fun" or not, a Pacquiao victory has been thought to be leading to Mayweather finally stepping in.

I had it a draw.

Not sure about that.

He went on holidays and contradicts himself all the time.

What about the famous "Manny Pacuiao, You're next", then 20 minutes later, "I never said that, don't be putting words in my mouth" lol

Anyways this fight should of happen 2 years ago when both were clearly in their primes. A fight next year will still be big, but I think some of the excitement of this fight has gone a little. Seriously I am sick of hearing about these 2 anyway.

Edited by WebBangkok

Not sure about that.

He went on holidays and contradicts himself all the time.

What about the famous "Manny Pacuiao, You're next", then 20 minutes later, "I never said that, don't be putting words in my mouth" lol

Anyways this fight should of happen 2 years ago when both were clearly in their primes. A fight next year will still be big, but I think some of the excitement of this fight has gone a little. Seriously I am sick of hearing about these 2 anyway.

Pacquiao doesn't have a lot of good-fight options really. Pacquiao - Mayweather has just dropped half of its previous earning potential because of this outcome.

Another fight with Marquez is his best option now. They'll have to sign it quickly before Mayweather tries to jump in as he may have grown some balls after watching this fight.

I would say that Pacquiao has really lucked out here - big time. He now has 2 mega fight options before he retires. Before he fights Mayweather he has to try to get a convincing win over Marquez.

Edited by tropo

I see, you know somebody who knows somebody who knows him, but you don't actually know him yourself, but you "know" what he is feeling? Sorry, but it is impossible to look at a fighter and "know" what he is feeling...look at Ali, he used to do the old rubber leg thing after being hit to fool guys into thinking he was hurt.....professional fighters are actually masters at controlling their emotions.....it sounds like you may be projecting your frustration onto Pacman.....so we agree, we were all frustrated

here was the final punch count on the fight from espn

Ringside punch stats showed just how close the fight was. Pacquiao was credited with landing 176 of 578 punches, while Marquez landed 138 of 436.

The power punches were even closer, with Pacquiao connecting on 117 to 100 -- though Marquez seemed to land the harder punches.

Not sure how your scoring "system" showed the other guy winning?

Maybe you can share it here so we can all analyze it and help you

I've watched Pacquiao closely enough to notice a difference for this fight.

I'm no boxing judge as you're pretending to be, but with my limited view on a small TV screen I thought Marquez had the edge by a small margin. As it happened one judge scored it even, so it was very, very close. A lot of people including experts with more knowledge than you (not hard to find) gave the edge to Marquez.

I think it's time we both gave it a break and let some other people comment.

the great waffle master is back...first you had marquez ahead on "points", then you claim to have not really seen the fight due to an obstructed view but still saw enough to make a decision....was your scoring based on the 10 point must system? why not post the scores here for our evaluation.....next thing you will tell us that you didn't really see the fight but know someone who knows someone....etcetcetc.....haven't seen such backpedalling since...well Marquez.....a bit like an Italian Tank in ww2....2 forward speeds and 6 reverse....

You did finally get one thing right in a later post, I don't think the Mayweather Pacman fight will live up to its billing..both fighters only are interested in money....not great fighters on anyone's list

Also I think Mayweather is very dirty and that this fight if it does happen will end in controversy, bitten ear, or some other foul.....followed by a rematch and another one

The fight fans are the ultimate losers to watch these flimflam pugilists

Surprised you haven't coughed up for a bigger TV though.....

Edited by tailspin

the great waffle master is back...first you had marquez ahead on "points", then you claim to have not really seen the fight due to an obstructed view but still saw enough to make a decision....was your scoring based on the 10 point must system? why not post the scores here for our evaluation.....next thing you will tell us that you didn't really see the fight but know someone who knows someone....etcetcetc.....haven't seen such backpedalling since...well Marquez.....a bit like an Italian Tank in ww2....2 forward speeds and 6 reverse....

What do you mean I'm back? You really need to concentrate. I wrote that reply straight after the fight about 36 hours ago.

Now why don't you go away and play expert somewhere else or just quit your ridiculous baiting.

Edited by tropo

Do you mean Mayweather will finally have the courage to face him? If people think the way you do, the value of that fight will have diminished significantly and Money Mayweather will be making a lot less money.

The value of the fight everyone wants to see has already been "diminished significantly" and Mayweather had nothing to do with it. But people will still buy it for different reasons.

This fight proves one things, Manny has not evolved into this great elite fighter. He was just protected and well matched up. I really don't think a Manny/Mayweather fight is going to happen until Bob Arum says it's okay.

You feel Money is scared of Pac. Okay. Thats your opinion. But Manny and Top Rank's game got exposed, simple as that.

So,you can predict the future now? That makes sense since you seem to know how Manny feels and what he thinks at any given time. May will make a lot less money? Guess you will have to just wait and see. It's not your money. Why bother about it?

"Pacquiao vs Mayweather has always had "snoozefest" written all over it." You think it will be a snooze fest but that won't stop it from being one of the biggest fights to date.

The value of the fight everyone wants to see has already been "diminished significantly" and Mayweather had nothing to do with it. But people will still buy it for different reasons.

This fight proves one things, Manny has not evolved into this great elite fighter. He was just protected and well matched up. I really don't think a Manny/Mayweather fight is going to happen until Bob Arum says it's okay.

You feel Money is scared of Pac. Okay. Thats your opinion. But Manny and Top Rank's game got exposed, simple as that.

So,you can predict the future now? That makes sense since you seem to know how Manny feels and what he thinks at any given time. May will make a lot less money? Guess you will have to just wait and see. It's not your money. Why bother about it?

"Pacquiao vs Mayweather has always had "snoozefest" written all over it." You think it will be a snooze fest but that won't stop it from being one of the biggest fights to date.

Have you taken over where Tailspin left off?

Allow me to clarify a few points that should have been obvious:

1. They were my opinions only. I cannot read the future.

2. Yes, despite Pacquiao vs Mayweather having "snoozefest written all over it" people will still buy it.

3. I believe Mayweather WAS scared of Pacquiao, but not now.

You must understand that fighters are human and can have off days.

You seem to think Pacquiao's career is all part of an elaborate game with Top Rank in control. I'm surprised you didn't forward the theory that maybe Pacquiao played down his skills to lure Mayweather out of hiding? Perhaps you think the judges were paid off?

Have you taken over where Tailspin left off?

Allow me to clarify a few points that should have been obvious:

1. They were my opinions only. I cannot read the future.

2. Yes, despite Pacquiao vs Mayweather having "snoozefest written all over it" people will still buy it.

3. I believe Mayweather WAS scared of Pacquiao, but not now.

You must understand that fighters are human and can have off days.

You seem to think Pacquiao's career is all part of an elaborate game with Top Rank in control. I'm surprised you didn't forward the theory that maybe Pacquiao played down his skills to lure Mayweather out of hiding? Perhaps you think the judges were paid off?

You're dam n right Top Rank AKA Bob Arum is in control of the little fella! He can't speak for himself. Can't make any decisions on his own. He can't even hire an outside accounting firm to look into his affairs unless uncle Bob gives the okay. He tried and got put back in his place real quick. Uncle Bob gave him a Ferrari instead so it would look like he doesn't have money problems. If it were up to Pac I believe he would have fought Floyd a long time ago. He would have lost but he would have taken the test and took the fight. That is if he's clean.

I don't know if the judges were paid off or not but I do know that uncle Bob has been brought up on charges for that sort of behavior in the past. And Pac didn't play down sh*t with his performance. He just got his ass kicked plain and simple. I'm scared for pac cause Floyd will kill the little fella if they ever fight.

You're dam n right Top Rank AKA Bob Arum is in control of the little fella! He can't speak for himself. Can't make any decisions on his own. He can't even hire an outside accounting firm to look into his affairs unless uncle Bob gives the okay. He tried and got put back in his place real quick. Uncle Bob gave him a Ferrari instead so it would look like he doesn't have money problems. If it were up to Pac I believe he would have fought Floyd a long time ago. He would have lost but he would have taken the test and took the fight. That is if he's clean.

I don't know if the judges were paid off or not but I do know that uncle Bob has been brought up on charges for that sort of behavior in the past. And Pac didn't play down sh*t with his performance. He just got his ass kicked plain and simple. I'm scared for pac cause Floyd will kill the little fella if they ever fight.

Pacquiao has zero education brought up in dirt poor conditions that you couldn't even fathom. No matter what you think of Bob Arum, he made Pacquiao into a star. It's a win-win situation.

Mayweather can't kill his opponents. He just makes them dizzy running around in circles trying to catch him.

You think Bob Arum gave him a Ferrari? Really? Where's your evidence?

..and stop dreaming. Last thing I saw Pacquiao won the fight. If you think he got his ass kicked I suggest you download the fight and watch it again.

Are you British? They hate him over there - haven't forgiven him for flooring Hatton.

I read the article. And you said you saw why. Can you be more specific why? Mayweather has always been scared to tarnish his perfect record. Any professional boxer knows an opponent's performance is only part of his calibre. It's the boxer's style and ring habits that makes him dangerous. This is the main reason why Mayweather's scared to face Pacquiao. Boxing analysts have repeated now and again that Manny is made for Mayweather. Remember Hatton. The reason why the Marquez Pacquiao fight wasn't too exciting is because of Marquez defensive style. He knows how to keep Manny at a distance or else Manny'll be connecting shots and defeat him. This has always been the same since their second fight. That's also the reason why Pac was reported to have been training extra hard and early for this fight. Marquez is a wall. Manny's lucky he landed more punches than Marq. But we clearly saw Marq's power punches were cleaner. But there weren't enough numbers to get him a win. This is the problem with counter-punching. And freakin Nacho as well. Nevertheless, despite yesterday's fight having "fun" or not, a Pacquiao victory has been thought to be leading to Mayweather finally stepping in.

Be more specific? Are you fukin kidding? You said you read the article. Evidently I agree with what was said in it or I would not have posted the link.

What kind of snow job are you putting up here? "The Marquez Pacquiao fight wasn't too exciting." I guess not if you don't like boxing. Marquez is one of the greatest boxers still fighting today. If it wasn't too exciting for you it's because you were watching your boy get schooled. Good boxing beats slugging almost any day of the week. "He knows how to keep Manny at a distance or else Manny'll be connecting shots and defeat him." It's called boxing son. 101 BOXING to be "specific." You need to GTFO wit this lame reasoning. Floyd boxed the sh*t out of Marquez when WMM was 36. Marquez didn't win 1 round against Floyd. Pac couldn't handle him at 38. If Pac has trouble with WMM counter punching what will the best counter puncher in the business do to the guy?

Specifics? Why don't you give some? Try answering the other guys question? Who has Pac beat since moving to WW that wasn't, coming off a loss, old, weight drained, or given a chance to win? Has he fought the number 1 or # 2 contender? Has he won a title that wasn't vacant or at a catch weight? Be specific why don't ya?

Pacquiao has zero education brought up in dirt poor conditions that you couldn't even fathom. No matter what you think of Bob Arum, he made Pacquiao into a star. It's a win-win situation.

Mayweather can't kill his opponents. He just makes them dizzy running around in circles trying to catch him.

..and stop dreaming. Last thing I saw Pacquiao won the fight. If you think he got his ass kicked I suggest you download the fight and watch it again.

Are you British? They hate him over there - haven't forgiven him for flooring Hatton.

Pac was poor. So what? He's not the first boxer to come up poor. He's made some money now but not as much as he could be making if he was his own man. A win win situation. That's ok for you to say. You're not the one missing out on a few extra millions because of a piece of work manager like Arum.

When was the last fight that Floyd was on his bicycle? Seems to me he stood in there and traded in his last few fights.

I don't have any evidence that uncle Bob gave him the car but I do know that Pac had to get an advance on his pay before he fought WMM and he's being sued by the accounting firm he hired to investigate his business contracts with uncle Bob because he didn/couldn't pay. Doesn't sound like the opportune time to purchase a Ferrari to me.

You told the other guy on here you had WMM ahead and winning the fight. Now you tell me to go and rewatch the fight because Pac won. You ought to keep better track of all the bullsh*t you spout on web forms fella.

I don't care what your nationality is. Why do you care about mine.

. You ought to keep better track of all the bullsh*t you spout on web forms fella.

Surely you're the one spouting here, fella. We cannot go any further if you cannot keep the replies civil. You had some good points amongst the nonsense, but your offensive posting style is spoiling it.

If you disagree with a comment, say so without the obscenities.

Edited by tropo

. You ought to keep better track of all the bullsh*t you spout on web forms fella.

Surely you're the one spouting here, fella. We cannot go any further if you cannot keep the replies civil. You had some good points amongst the nonsense, but your offensive posting style is spoiling it.

If you disagree with a comment, say so without the obscenities.

You don't like my style of writing don't respond to it. Simple as that. That's not too hard for you to fathom is it? And while we are on fathoming, how the he*l do you know what poverty I've ever seen in my life. You admitted that you cant read minds or see the future a comment or 2 back. Now you're at it again. You're too busy with the oneupmanship game to see how offensive you can be yourself. Now you're trying to take the high road on the sly. Can't have it both ways. Grow up why don't ya?

Some of the greatest boxers in history have been counterpunchers or executed a counterpunch strategy…Ali’s demolition of Foreman a classic example, Benitez and Toney in their primes

The problem is the Marquez’s “power” punches were actually “powder puff” punches, he is slow as hell and has a glass jaw which means he can’t take risks when coming forward. That is why he was selected for the fight…..Pacman’s only marks at the end of the fight were a cut from the headbutt and a slight laceration on the lip…….this was one of the worst fights I have ever seen, only the Clottey-Pacman fight was worse, as Clottey didn’t throw punch.

What is interesting is that since the Hatton fight, Pacman is not knocking out people so easily anymore, I wonder if his gloves were juiced before?

To change the direction of the conversation here.

Personally I don't think either Mayw or Pacman are on the greatest lists, and are both past their primes. Mayweather is 42-0 with 26 KO's which is not a devastating rate but good enough for a counterpuncher......imagine the bore of 2 counterpunchers in together......styles make fights.

In fact Mayw has only knocked out 1 of his last 7 opponents including the aged warhorse Mosely(not counting the sucker punch of Ortiz).

Here's my analysis and prediction..maybe some others can come on here and present their idea

Mayweather

Pluses-Great counterpuncher, good footwork, slips a lot of punches and blocks others with shoulders, has knockout power

Minuses-power is not overwhelming, more interested in showboating, can get dirty, ability to fight in the trenches is unknown

Pacman

Pluses-Good power at lower weight classes, fast footwork, difficult to pin in corner

Negative-Unidimensional style-comes in with fast footwork throws 4-6 punch combo then jumps back out before repeating this over and over and over(no Plan B , no jab, lunges on overhand left and lifts back leg losing balance, only takes on easy, washed up opponents

Verdict

Honestly, I would rather see either of these guys fight Martinez because at least he comes to fight and is not as concerned about the money...a fight with Pacman would be a pure brawl, which is why Pacman is afraid of him

However, I think Mayweather-Pacman result is either mayweather knocks out Pacman early, the fight ends on a technical foul or the fight goes the distance and Mayweather gets the UD.

Re. that guy who keeps baiting people on here, his complete lack of knowledge also had the "veil" removed....let's not feed the troll, just ignore him and hopefully he will find other people to annoy

Pac was poor. So what? He's not the first boxer to come up poor. He's made some money now but not as much as he could be making if he was his own man. A win win situation. That's ok for you to say. You're not the one missing out on a few extra millions because of a piece of work manager like Arum.

When was the last fight that Floyd was on his bicycle? Seems to me he stood in there and traded in his last few fights.

I don't have any evidence that uncle Bob gave him the car but I do know that Pac had to get an advance on his pay before he fought WMM and he's being sued by the accounting firm he hired to investigate his business contracts with uncle Bob because he didn/couldn't pay. Doesn't sound like the opportune time to purchase a Ferrari to me.

You told the other guy on here you had WMM ahead and winning the fight. Now you tell me to go and rewatch the fight because Pac won. You ought to keep better track of all the bullsh*t you spout on web forms fella.

I don't care what your nationality is. Why do you care about mine.

Edited by tailspin

Re. that guy who keeps baiting people on here, his complete lack of knowledge also had the "veil" removed....let's not feed the troll, just ignore him and hopefully he will find other people to annoy

What kind of logic is this? You're baiting a person you consider a troll hoping he will not come back and troll some more.

Quote of the thread:

Tailspin said about Pacquiao, quote:

"Also why does he make those "mysterious" training trips to Asia before each fight? Because of the great training facilities????"

Edited by tropo

Looks like I wasn't the only one who sensed Pacquiao wasn't himself on Saturday night. These prizefighters are actually human despite what people think. They too can have bad "hair days".

Pacquiao wasn't making excuses, but here's an interesting insight into his Saturday night psyche.

Un-Pacquiao like

Edited by tropo

Looks like I wasn't the only one who sensed Pacquiao wasn't himself on Saturday night. These prizefighters are actually human despite what people think. They too can have bad "hair days".

Pacquiao wasn't making excuses, but here's an interesting insight into his Saturday night psyche.

Un-Pacquiao like

I read Philboxing from time to time. But not too often because of their lack of objectivity in reporting on Manny. But what more can you expect from a Filipino boxing site? I agree with you that boxers are human and are entitled to have an off night. But this boxing match does not qualify as an off night in my opinion. Unless, of course, you say Manny has an off night every time he faces Marquez.

I don't get why would you say, "Looks like I wasn't the only one who sensed Pacquiao wasn't himself on Saturday night?",when everyone who saw the fight thinks the same thing. Seems to me this article you link to is just offering up excuses where none are needed. The article sites Manny's outside distractions as the reason he had such a poor performance against Marquez. I say it was the boxing skills of Marques which stopped Manny from dong his usual human tornado act that brought Manny's boxing skills into question once again. Boxing beat brawling last Sat. Simple as that.

Philipino writer Ronnie Nathaniels, who frequently writes for Philboxing, feels pretty much the same. No need to read. Just look and listen.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XUtXA61uSU0

I read Philboxing from time to time. But not too often because of their lack of objectivity in reporting on Manny. But what more can you expect from a Filipino boxing site? I agree with you that boxers are human and are entitled to have an off night. But this boxing match does not qualify as an off night in my opinion. Unless, of course, you say Manny has an off night every time he faces Marquez.

I don't get why would you say, "Looks like I wasn't the only one who sensed Pacquiao wasn't himself on Saturday night?",

I see a lot of objectivity by Filipino boxing writers. At least half of Filipino boxing writers thought that Marquez won the fight - how objective is that?

You're going to find a lot more about the inner workings of Pacquiao on Filipino sites because they know him a lot better. They know Pacquiao as a person. They know about his day job because these days boxing is becoming a hobby for him. He's a congressman who also hosts his own TV show (weekly).

You miss understood my comment. I wasn't talking about his lackluster performance, but his listless appearance and seeming lack of energy when he came out to fight.

To show how wrong you are about Filipino sites "lack of objectivity" I would suggest you visit Pinoygreats.com. You will see all the positive and negative boxing reports about Pacquiao. There's no bias at all. You get them all. You'll see every negative article written about Pacquiao on that site - bar none.

Edited by tropo

have to agree with you here....the lack of objectivity is overwhelming....

a more informed view is here

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/Manny-Pacquiao-deals-with-personal-turmoil-before-Mayweather-decision-111511

As I astutely noted, training IS an important part of boxing

I think he should keep the personal fitness trainer, train full-time in the US for 8-10 weeks before a fight, and replace Freddy Roach as trainer, using Manny Steward instead, so he can improve his very raw boxing skills

Un-Pacquiao like

I don't get why would you say, "Looks like I wasn't the only one who sensed Pacquiao wasn't himself on Saturday night?",when everyone who saw the fight thinks the same thing. Seems to me this article you link to is just offering up excuses where none are needed. The article sites Manny's outside distractions as the reason he had such a poor performance against Marquez. I say it was the boxing skills of Marques which stopped Manny from dong his usual human tornado act that brought Manny's boxing skills into question once again. Boxing beat brawling last Sat. Simple as that.

Philipino writer Ronnie Nathaniels, who frequently writes for Philboxing, feels pretty much the same. No need to read. Just look and listen.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XUtXA61uSU0