Pastrami And Corned Beef In Pattaya...Wowww

Pongpat

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a local foodie who generally knows his stuff, they have ended retail operations. This is an excerpt from a notice he sent to associates:

"Deli-izza has closed ... No real explanation given except they want to concentrate on catering rather than dinning facilities. Any parties you want catered or wholesale pastrami, corned beef etc. they still will be manufacturing and selling wholesale or catered affairs until further notice."

Farang can do waiting ---- and waiting --- and then some more

I was thinking the same thing and in the back too. I hope it is a temporary time out as I am a big fan of the place and their Rubin,pastrami and roast beer are second to none. Not a big deal if they can get it sorted out quietly and quickly. But this is speculation on my part.

Edited by marinediscoking

It is not that difficult to ignore threads that you are not interested in. whistling.gif

No it's not but with the number of food threads popping up in the Pattaya forum maybe we need a Pattaya food sub-forum!

It is not that difficult to ignore threads that you are not interested in. whistling.gif

No it's not but with the number of food threads popping up in the Pattaya forum maybe we need a Pattaya food sub-forum!

That would be OK with me. It would also be OK if there isn't one. I don't see this as really important either way. The topic titles tell the story ...

Don't make sense this...how can the best deli in Pattaya/Jomtien just shut up shop?

Don't you all visit regularly?

I was looking forward to a Reuben...sad.png

Don't jump to conclusions that the reason for the shut down was slow business.

Don't make sense this...how can the best deli in Pattaya/Jomtien just shut up shop?

Don't you all visit regularly?

I was looking forward to a Reuben...sad.png

Don't jump to conclusions that the reason for the shut down was slow business.

I'm not!

Hence me saying it don't make any sense....sorry for you all...the food looked great.

I talked with the owners....think about two weeks ago.....and they told me an interesting story about a "future business model." They were making the best sandwiches in Thailand (probably all of Asia). I think, perhaps, it can be said that they made a business decision to expand in a different way, given the success of what they have been doing (it made sense to me and for business reasons I would have done the same thing). And the new way will be more profitable (perhaps in a different Asian country). I will leave it up to the owners to explain what happened and why, should they decide to do so.

I was only there twice but, as a short-order cook for almost 20 years, I think have a valid opinion.

The father/son/falang wife/thai girl friend combination of principals is three too many bosses.

The father guy was far too gushy and trying to please all the people all the time. He quickly lost credibility with me. While it's good to have ambition, business has to be based in reality.

Not in a good location.

Pricing wasn't accurate. I bet a thousand baht they lost money on every item. There was already half a dozen guys on here complaining about their high prices.

The menu was too extensive. They should have concentrated on doing 4 or 5 things really well. Corned beef - pastrami - rye bread - pickles - potato salad and STOP. To add on pizza, pies, baked goods, desserts, etc. etc. is too much.

It could cost between 8 and 10,000 a day to maintain such a big menu. You would have to have 20 customers a day spending 500 baht each TO BREAK EVEN. Both times I was there, I was the only one in the joint for the entire hour. While I did spend 500 baht, it was because I got stuff to go for lunch the next day.

So..... delete the deli-zza.

'nuff said

~

300 baht for a sandwich???it better have gold flakes in it!

Pastrami, corned beef and Reuben sandwiches, all in the 300 baht range. Not too bad for good beef in Thailand.

I can get the real thing in NYC for less, but I'm not there now..rolleyes.gif

nothing like that in the South..oh for a Montreal smoked meat sarny 4" high with a dill pickle , chunky skin on fries and a pint or two of Guinness...........................

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary profane

I was only there twice but, as a short-order cook for almost 20 years, I think have a valid opinion.

The father/son/falang wife/thai girl friend combination of principals is three too many bosses.

The father guy was far too gushy and trying to please all the people all the time. He quickly lost credibility with me. While it's good to have ambition, business has to be based in reality.

Not in a good location.

Pricing wasn't accurate. I bet a thousand baht they lost money on every item. There was already half a dozen guys on here complaining about their high prices.

The menu was too extensive. They should have concentrated on doing 4 or 5 things really well. Corned beef - pastrami - rye bread - pickles - potato salad and STOP. To add on pizza, pies, baked goods, desserts, etc. etc. is too much.

It could cost between 8 and 10,000 a day to maintain such a big menu. You would have to have 20 customers a day spending 500 baht each TO BREAK EVEN. Both times I was there, I was the only one in the joint for the entire hour. While I did spend 500 baht, it was because I got stuff to go for lunch the next day.

So..... delete the deli-zza.

'nuff said

~

I won't analyse why they shutdown, menu choices or their business arrangements but I do think the location on a poorly lit side street was horrible and the interior was not much better from a customers point of view. Only 100 metres away there are brightly lit restaurants on Beach Road with views and a nice cool breeze. I liked the food but found 300 baht for a nice sandwhich on the high side for many people here, my Thai lady would prefer to spend 300 baht eating the Shabushi buffet at Central Festival Mall which includes dessert, drinks and air conditioning. It was nice to have this speciality food available here but I don't think 20 - 50 TV readers eating there occassionally is going to make it a viable restaurant. I wish them well and hope they have other options as their meats were great.

Curious, what does a "short order" cook have to do with a gourmet sandwich place where everything made from scratch. I ate there many times and did not feel it was over priced for what you got. Good luck to the father son for whatever reason they closed down.

• Like 1

I agree. It wasn't overpriced. It was appropriately expensive which was unavoidable considering their products. I can't comment on whether they were losing money on every sandwich. Possible, I suppose. I do think that sandwiches plus pizzas (which were a very good type of American style not available anywhere else) was enough for their menu and that the location was rather poor. I do hope their deli products are available in some way to the local retail market. I'd be happy just to be able to buy their meats to use at home.

It is rather depressing how often some of the best food venues in Pattaya burn out so quickly. If you find something good here, go there now! I am really bummed I didn't do their deli thing much more often. I stupidly assumed they would be there when I wanted ... oh well.

Yes, it was that good. Their claim of best deli meats in Thailand was probably true.

Edited by Jingthing

I received this from a friend in an email. Maybe a little light on the subject. Shame.

"I stopped by the Deli in Jomtien before heading to Bangkok. It was closed and I had a chance to talk with the owner. He didn't go into great detail but said that there were problems with a partner and some staff."

There's more to the story than should be told, particularly on a public forum. I think the main problem was that the location left a lot to be desired. Anyone who has ever tried his cooking would know that he is an excellent cook. I thought the food was great. He was not trying to run a restaurant for a hobby. Starting on a shoe string and needing to show an immediate profit to support several people is tough anywhere especially in Jomtien. I was hoping that he could make it because his product was the best in the entire area. The prices for what you got were not out of line. The old saying that you get what you pay for is especially applicable in the food business.

• Like 2

Tonight the Square on Pratamnuk Hill (Zen, Eye Candy, the Lounge) celebrates with a catered St. Patrick's day dinner by Sean from Deli-izza starting at 6pm, come help celebrate. Bring a friend or easily find one there. Sounds like fun.

Hawaii Bob

• 4 months later...

I was at Delizza yesterday.

At the moment they're open noon to 5pm, but this Wednesday (1st August) is their last day at Casa Jomtien before they move over to Chaiyapruek 2 on the dark side

I think we got the message. Thanks.

Maybe they can offer delivery service to other areas from the DS?