Claiming Uk Tax Credits And Child Benefit

hi.

a question please to those that know.

my wife has just arrived in the uk on a settlement visa. i am about to claim child benefit for my 2 step children. i am making the claim but i think it has to be in joint names. i am also claiming working tax credits in my name for my 2 step children.

when it comes to applying for the iLR visa, would this cause any problems? am i allowed to claim?

thanks

No point in going over old ground but I have had recent dealing with Child Benefit claims. I was able to claim but my wife cannot directly nor can my sister-in-law. We are not eligible for Child Tax Credits so cannot comment on this other than to say I understand it can be in joint names.

No point in going over old ground but I have had recent dealing with Child Benefit claims. I was able to claim but my wife cannot directly nor can my sister-in-law. We are not eligible for Child Tax Credits so cannot comment on this other than to say I understand it can be in joint names.

thanks for replies. yeah i got that the wrong way around - tax credits are claimed jointly , and they can also issue my wife with a new NI number at the same time.

Bangkockney - do you have a link to your post pls?

My experience of claiming child benefit was the same as Bob's; I was told that my wife couldn't claim but I could. Mind you, this was 11 years ago and rules and regulations do change.

7by7 we've been here before lol.

Did you not read the documents that set out the exceptions for claiming child benefit I linked for you previously?

I had a recollection of it, but all I can find, apart from the immigration rules, is this document which does not appear to list being married to a British citizen among the exceptions for claiming child benefit.

As Kunash asks, can you provide the link again, please?

However, the point is somewhat moot: whether or not a person subject to immigration controls can claim child benefit or not, their British partner can.

As already said, it is not that tax credit claims can be made jointly; they must be.