University Lecturer To Sue Thai Govt For Mishandling Flood Crisis

webfact

University Lecturer to Sue Govt for Mishandling Flood Crisis

An economics professor at Chulalongkorn University insists on filing lawsuits against the government and its agencies for damages as the result of the authority's failure to effectively cope with the flooding.

Narong Phetprasert, an economics professor at Chulalongkorn University, said he will file lawsuits against government departments and agencies for damages over the mishandling of the flood crisis.

The Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives Ministry, the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand are among government entities in the hot-seat.

The lecturer said there are a few legal issues that he will take up against the government, including damages suffered by residents affected by the floods and those who lost income during the flooding, even if their homes were not flooded.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-11

footer_n.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance :whistling:

Why is that? Is there any evidence of poor performance in the classroom - please share.

He has rights as a citizen.

Or is this another example of your attitude to freedom of speech?

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance :whistling:

Cheap shot, unwarranted. You might not like him for his politics, but have no call to cast dispersions upon his pperformance (sic) as an academician.

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance

Looks like someone else should be suing his old teachers too.whistling.giflaugh.gif

A paragon of virtue must be above criticism. that include government ministers as well as the lower orders.

Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance

Looks like someone else should be suing his old teachers too.whistling.giflaugh.gif

A paragon of virtue must be above criticism. that include government ministers as well as the lower orders.

YYou hhave cconfused mme SSiampolee, wwhat iiis yyour ppost iiin rreference tto? ;)

Does he really think that taxpayers' money will be better spent on lawsuites instead of rebuilding the country? :angry:

Every Thai I've spoken with over the past weeks have lamented at the lack of assistance of this government. They also have no doubt it would have been no better under Abbhisit. However, I wish this professor luck with this. Hey! maybe a win might scare the shit out of the government, of whatsoever colour/stripe, knowing that they just might be held responsible for their actions/inactions! Now that would be a novelty.

Cheap shot, unwarranted. You might not like him for his politics, but have no call to cast dispersions upon his pperformance (sic) as an academician.

That'll be aspersions then...

Quite right. Thanks for the correction.

I'm all for "suing the government" if that means the government public's money that would have been squandered to corruption would, instead, go to the folks who suffered damages and need and deserve relief. But once lawyers get involved, they seem to be the only ones that get more out of the deal.

Why is that? Is there any evidence of poor performance in the classroom - please share.

You do not believe in freedom of speech or else you would not challenge his statement about the teacher suing.

Freedom of speech applies all speech even speech you do not like.

I bet you are a football coach.

Edited by harryfrompattaya

You do not believe in freedom of speech or else you would not challenge his statement about the teacher suing.

Freedom of speech applies all speech even speech you do not like.

I bet you are a football coach.

Free speech is never completely free. The old example of yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre is most used to demonstrate that principle. Slander and libel are examples of speech that is not tolerated, there are laws against that. To imply that a person's performance is so bad as to be sued, without any documentation to back that implication, treads on the edges of those laws.

Speech I do not like? Of course, the speaker has the right to speak his opinion, I support that. Speech that is against the law, I cannot support.

Quite right. Thanks for the correction.

I normally throw nasturtiums.:D

1, I have not said he should be prevented from initiating litigation.'

2. I have not commented on his academic performance.

Read my statement again. The issue in Thai universities is that students have no recourse against a professor as there is no recognition of there being an obligation for the university and its employees to deliver on services that the students and government pay for i.e. a performance warranty. A student seeking to air his or her concerns about a professor's performance as an instructor would be crushed. It is hypocritical that a professor wishes to bring suit against the government, yet is part of a group that squashes and opposes the accountability found in universities that enjoy significantly better reputations and rankings.

To make my point more comprehensible for those that have not have the pleasure of dealing with some Thai academics; People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Edited by geriatrickid

1, I have not said he should be prevented from initiating litigation.'

2. I have not commented on his academic performance.

Read my statement again. The issue in Thai universities is that students have no recourse against a professor as there is no recognition of there being an obligation for the university and its employees to deliver on services that the students and government pay for i.e. a performance warranty. A student seeking to air his or her concerns about a professor's performance as an instructor would be crushed. It is hypocritical that a professor wishes to bring suit against the government, yet is part of a group that squashes and opposes the accountability found in universities that enjoy significantly better reputations and rankings.

To make my point more comprehensible for those that have not have the pleasure of dealing with some Thai academics; People in glass houses should not throw stones.

In re: Your point 1. Did I accuse you of saying he should be prevented from initiating litigation? No, I have not.

In re: Your point 2. When you said "Maybe some of his students will follow his lead and sue him for his academic pperformance :whistling:" you are are making an implication that his performance should be called into question. It passes the "reasonable person" test - the smiley you added at the end certainly added to that.

You are trying to create a distraction by generalizing about the Thai tertiary education system, whilst your original quote spoke of one specific individual. If you have something negative to say about this particular professor and can back it up, by all means, post it and let us judge for ourselves. Don't try to wriggle out of it by denigrating the Thai education system as a whole, stick to the one professor who is the subject of the OP.

Some quick facts;

-The litigation threatened is a class action, not a personal claim for loss.

- The class action being considered is not just directed at the government but also the BMA, Egat and other municipal, paramunicipal and public agencies.

- Class actions against such a broad range of defendants usually end up in a dismissal. This then appears to be a political gesture and not an action seeking redress.

- Part of the claim may include lost potential income. Attempting to prove such a loss is extremely difficult in the most justified of suits. It would be next to impossible to substatntiate in this particular action.

- The person talking up this litigation is not a professor, but is an associate professor. (Minor point to some, but there is a significant distinction between the two positions.)

And now let's look at our lead actor;

- He is reported to have enjoyed close relations with the military junta when they were in power, and this included "employment".

-He was vocal in his opposition to the PTP's policy on increasing Thai workers subsistence wages.

- He was appointed by former PM Abhisit to serve on the "Nartional Reform" entity. Google the history of that group for more.

I like this quote from the chap; : "I'm not a water expert. But as an upcountry native, I know that when water runs off, it will overflow river banks and nothing will stop it." Now that's brilliant. If he knows this, then why the very public statements of a class action? The claim is stated to be based on the targeted defendants not providing notice and managing the flooding. Well, golly gee, if he understands the nature of flooding, what part did he not understand.I believe the threat of legal action is political grandstanding by a person with a previously existing grievance against the PTP. In order for the litigation to be accepted by the courts, it will have to be argued on specifc legal points that will mostly likely be different than the public statements made to date by our upcountry crusader. He has been described a s a political opportunist by some that consider his jumping from the Thai Rak Thai to the military dictatorship camp, back to free election group, then to the Abhisit camp as an indication of someone that craves the public spotlight. I don't know the gentleman, so I will gladly leave it to the courts to consider the merits of the threatened litigation. I think the only people that will benefit from this will be the lawyers that will seek their fees.

Interesting post, GK.

Obviously not intended to answer my question about his performance as an academician, which you called into question. Unless, perhaps, was it to say "I don't know the gentleman"?

Google him about his academic performance. You'll find nothing negative.

Some quick facts;

- The class action being considered is not just directed at the government but also the BMA, Egat and other municipal, paramunicipal and public agencies.

- Class actions against such a broad range of defendants usually end up in a dismissal. This then appears to be a political gesture and not an action seeking redress.

- Part of the claim may include lost potential income. Attempting to prove such a loss is extremely difficult in the most justified of suits. It would be next to impossible to substatntiate in this particular action.

- The person talking up this litigation is not a professor, but is an associate professor. (Minor point to some, but there is a significant distinction between the two positions.)

- He is reported to have enjoyed close relations with the military junta when they were in power, and this included "employment".

-He was vocal in his opposition to the PTP's policy on increasing Thai workers subsistence wages.

- He was appointed by former PM Abhisit to serve on the "Nartional Reform" entity. Google the history of that group for more.

I like this quote from the chap; : "I'm not a water expert. But as an upcountry native, I know that when water runs off, it will overflow river banks and nothing will stop it." Now that's brilliant. If he knows this, then why the very public statements of a class action? The claim is stated to be based on the targeted defendants not providing notice and managing the flooding. Well, golly gee, if he understands the nature of flooding, what part did he not understand.I believe the threat of legal action is political grandstanding by a person with a previously existing grievance against the PTP. In order for the litigation to be accepted by the courts, it will have to be argued on specifc legal points that will mostly likely be different than the public statements made to date by our upcountry crusader. He has been described a s a political opportunist by some that consider his jumping from the Thai Rak Thai to the military dictatorship camp, back to free election group, then to the Abhisit camp as an indication of someone that craves the public spotlight. I don't know the gentleman, so I will gladly leave it to the courts to consider the merits of the threatened litigation. I think the only people that will benefit from this will be the lawyers that will seek their fees.

Where do you see that he is suing the BMA?

Can you give us an example of a class action lawsuit in Thailand "against such a broad range of defendants that has resulted in dismissal"?

Edited by rogerdee123

Make sure, not only sue Thai Government, they must also sue Bangkok Metropolitan Authority and the other agencies too. Also sue the person who called the people to block the water since beginning during June.

Edited by macgver

Some quick facts;

Can you give us an example of a class action lawsuit in Thailand "against such a broad range of defendants that has resulted in dismissal"?

The "other paper" states that he "may" sue the BMA, EGAT, and others, but it appears there is nothing definite as of yet. The Council of Lawyers has come on board as well. It should make interesting reading, eh.

Some quick facts;

The "other paper" states that he "may" sue the BMA, EGAT, and others, but it appears there is nothing definite as of yet. The Council of Lawyers has come on board as well. It should make interesting reading, eh.

Yes this is destined to become another long thread I think. :bah:

How does one file lawsuits for other people's damages? Wouldn't he need their permission an wouldn't it then be those people who were suing for damages?

Maybe we should all file lawsuits when we see a car accident. dam_n, we could file against both drivers and they we are sure to win.