Are You Scared, Worried, Or Feel Like It'S Pointless To Live In Thailand?

ajarnyai

Not scared really.

Most of us are able to adapt, no matter how bad we think the situation is.

I guess we just have to meassure it all up and see what comes out on top.

Im a little bit worried about when I get older (and sick maybe), and how I should deal with the visa issues then.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you seem like a member of "the sky is falling" brigade

The next time I stay up all night reading the news, I will make sure I triple check my post. It was awfully inconsiderate of me to ask you to read such a poorly written post. I apologize.

I can always go back home, but that would make my Thai language studies a lot more difficult. I'm not asking Thailand to turn into a western country, but I think this flood situation never had to reach disaster level, and I wonder what the next thing will be. Political stability is probably nothing more than a pipe dream here, but I do expect the government to keep the people safe. At home (USA), the government has made big problems worse, so I know it can happen here. It doesn't look like Thailand stays stable for very long. A few months at most.

I was asking how do you guys feel about living in a country that faces constant problems with national implications. It sounds like unless you got wet, you didn't think much of this round of big problems. It seems like the key to expat success is to develop a thick skin.

I came here because it isnt like the west ,if i had wanted that i would have stayed in Britain ,with its speed cameras,spy cameras ,parking wardens ,jobsworths ,elf and safty ,and on and on , here i can take it easy and not worry if i have drunk two mouthfulls of beer over the limit when i drive .

chill out and if its all to much for you ,go back to the "freedom" of the west.

I can always go back home, but that would make my Thai language studies a lot more difficult.

You don't need any Thai language studies.

Anyway, Berlitz is ready when you are. Then there's Rosetta Stone etc. Me, I learned basic Thai from a book and cassette tape, all that I ever needed, though I've added a lot of ad hoc words & phrases.

I'm not asking Thailand to turn into a western country, but I think this flood situation never had to reach disaster level, and I wonder what the next thing will be. Political stability is probably nothing more than a pipe dream here, but I do expect the government to keep the people safe. At home (USA), the government has made big problems worse, so I know it can happen here. It doesn't look like Thailand stays stable for very long. A few months at most.

Yup, that's the way it is. Nothing you or I can do about that, so no point in much thinking about it and just making yourself unhappy. Take care of your own garden, as Candide said. (In fact reading or re-reading Candide might be very therapeutic.) And that would mean acquiring your own means to deal w/ any personal crisis coming your own way.

I was asking how do you guys feel about living in a country that faces constant problems with national implications. It sounds like unless you got wet, you didn't think much of this round of big problems. It seems like the key to expat success is to develop a thick skin.

You can put it that way or better that you become more like a Thai, accepting of things you can't change and being satisfied to do what you can to create happiness and goodness in your own little sphere of influence--wherever you are.

I've been selecting homes with a view to future floods for the past 20 years, first in the UK, then here.

A little thought pays future dividends.

I'm happy with Thailand, the cost of living and the indifference of authority and the population to all and any rules.

The key to expat success, IMHO, is to not give a dam_n and take every day as it comes.

Edited by ludditeman

Speak for yourself,

I always do.

I work here for money because they are paying more than I would get in other parts of the world doing the same job....

Hmm. I cant imagine anyone being paid more for working here, unless they are working for a foreign company anyway, which doesn't really count. Or maybe you are in some sector that has completely collapsed elsewhere?

I certainly couldn't charge as much per hour here as I did back in Europe, but as I don't work here I'm not bothered. My company in Europe still bills at the Europe rate which is many times more than one would pay for similar work here. The quality probably isn't the same though.

OP mentioned government and stability. The main focus of those in power in Thailand is maintaining the status quo. i.e For them the unstable and insecure life styles of the masses is OK, as long as they retain their money, wealth, power and status etc

If you're expecting to be part of society and to be able to change the country, then yes I expect it could all feel pointless. Generally most of the foreigners I know here who are happy, accept that they aren't really viewed by most locals as part of the hierarchy and society, although they are well tolerated.

Accept you're not Thai, never really will be, and that you'll always be a guest. Then you've a good chance of being happy and finding some meaning in other pursuits.

Edited by fletchsmile

To Ajarn

haha ....quite funny really___Because I have been asking myself the same exact questions about your home country US of A ....." should I stay.....or should I leave? biggrin.gif

Working expat here is not having an easy life either.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, none of the above.

I made a choice to come here to retire and live with my Thai family.

Of course it's not perfect...nothing is.

But, for me, it's preferable to living in my "home country" where my family is not living.

To me, that makes sense.

:D

By the way...your feeling about losing the joy of living in Thailand after a ccouple of years is a common thing.

It usually happens to many, if not most, of the expats that live in Thailand on a long-term basis.

The bloom wears of the Rose you might say.

It's a common thing. Either you will grow out of it or leave because you can't tolerate it any longer.

Exactly which, depends on your psychology. Either you will adapt...or you will give up.

I've been through it before...and I'm still here.

:D

+1 Good honest reply.

jb1

I've been selecting homes with a view to future floods for the past 20 years, first in the UK, then here.

A little thought pays future dividends.

Makes sense to me.

I've lived within a few miles of several flood plains, but never on one.

Always live well above the average elevation of the surrounding area.

The next time I stay up all night reading the news, I will make sure I triple check my post. It was awfully inconsiderate of me to ask you to read such a poorly written post. I apologize.

I can always go back home, but that would make my Thai language studies a lot more difficult. I'm not asking Thailand to turn into a western country, but I think this flood situation never had to reach disaster level, and I wonder what the next thing will be. Political stability is probably nothing more than a pipe dream here, but I do expect the government to keep the people safe. At home (USA), the government has made big problems worse, so I know it can happen here. It doesn't look like Thailand stays stable for very long. A few months at most.

As far as Thailand is concerned look at it as an self inflicted Injury?

I'm from the UK, Thailand is still a mile out there in front,. Although I do bitch about it sometimes.

jb1

OP mentioned government and stability. The main focus of those in power in Thailand is maintaining the status quo. i.e For them the unstable and insecure life styles of the masses is OK, as long as they retain their money, wealth, power and status etc

If you're expecting to be part of society and to be able to change the country, then yes I expect it could all feel pointless. Generally most of the foreigners I know here who are happy, accept that they aren't really viewed by most locals as part of the hierarchy and society, although they are well tolerated.

Accept you're not Thai, never really will be, and that you'll always be a guest. Then you've a good chance of being happy and finding some meaning in other pursuits.

"and that you'll always be a guest"

A "Paying Guest" which will never be the same as a real welcome guest!

I can always go back home, but that would make my Thai language studies a lot more difficult.

You don't need any Thai language studies.

Anyway, Berlitz is ready when you are. Then there's Rosetta Stone etc. Me, I learned basic Thai from a book and cassette tape, all that I ever needed, though I've added a lot of ad hoc words & phrases.

I'm not asking Thailand to turn into a western country, but I think this flood situation never had to reach disaster level, and I wonder what the next thing will be. Political stability is probably nothing more than a pipe dream here, but I do expect the government to keep the people safe. At home (USA), the government has made big problems worse, so I know it can happen here. It doesn't look like Thailand stays stable for very long. A few months at most.

Yup, that's the way it is. Nothing you or I can do about that, so no point in much thinking about it and just making yourself unhappy. Take care of your own garden, as Candide said. (In fact reading or re-reading Candide might be very therapeutic.) And that would mean acquiring your own means to deal w/ any personal crisis coming your own way.

You can put it that way or better that you become more like a Thai, accepting of things you can't change and being satisfied to do what you can to create happiness and goodness in your own little sphere of influence--wherever you are.

Nice post, and agree, let's look to our gardens.

Good one.

Bit too much bitterness there..........

How rough a ride have you had??

Most of the people here will do anything to to justify they're life in Thailand, and one way of doing it is by demonizing their old country..........that is a truism in most countries though. No one likes admitting that they left their old lives to live in a new country and made a mistake. These are the same types that when the going gets tough they slink back to their homeland and start demanding their rights because they paid some tax in 1971.

You've made your bed so lie in it......one thing that Thailand is good at that though is making sure you know you're not wanted, by ensuring that the vast majority of ex-pats need to attend immigration every 90 days.

Bit too much bitterness there..........

How rough a ride have you had??

I would say factual rather than bitter. Compare Thai ex-pat retirement regulations to Malaysia. Malaysia are making ex-pat's feel welcome, and giving them security of tenure. Why can't Thailand do the same?

I would say factual rather than bitter. Compare Thai ex-pat retirement regulations to Malaysia. Malaysia are making ex-pat's feel welcome, and giving them security of tenure. Why can't Thailand do the same?

Just met an English guy over here on holiday from China.

Allowed to own one home and Visa is not a problem.

He did say food was more expensive in China.

I do business in China and I can confirm that. There has been food price inflation in China recently though. The visa system is relatively straightforward, if you have reason to be in the country you will get a visa no problem. Once again why can't Thailand see the sense in that?

I had to edit a typo, I don't want to get in trouble with the Thaivisa Good English Police.

Edited by theblether

I came to Thailand to relax from the rat race. Sure I enjoyed the fact that I could date women half my age, but I could do that in many places, but the laid back attitude meshed with what I wanted. And sure, the cost of living is less than back at home.

I still like the US and go back for visits. And now I am married to a Thai woman (not such a young woman, either), so the dating aspect is sort of a non-starter now. But I enjoy life.

I had served in the Philippines while in the military, and I considered retiring there. The cost of living is less than Thailand, the women younger (well, not really--it is just that younger women there are willing to date much older men), the American food is better, there is a VA hospital, and the tv is much better than True. But as a foreigner, you really have to watch yourself. No matter where you go, you are a target for robbery at best, murder at worst.

In Thailand, I feel safe. I like my lifestyle, and I can pick up and visit the US or Europe 4 times a year or so. My wife comes with me, so it works out well for us. My military pension is more than enough to live a comfortable life, and I will be getting social security soon as well.

To those card-carrying members of the English Police, let's refrain from making any more posts on each other's mistakes.

As if they can comment

"Ello 'Ello 'Ello

Wot's all this then?

Where d'you live, then - Letsby Avenue...?

Mind you don't fall down them stairs, now"

Though I suppose I'd be a little more nervous finding myself on the wrong side of the BIB than the boys in blue.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I do business in China and I can confirm that. There has been food price inflation in China recently though. The visa system is relatively straightforward, if you have reason to be in the country you will get a visa no problem. Once again why can't Thailand see the sense in that?

I had to edit a typo, I don't want to get in trouble with the Thaivisa Good English Police.

So what reason does a backpacker,a criminal on the run or people without an income have to be in the country then.

Others i think have no problem to obtain a visa in Thailand.

So what reason does a backpacker,a criminal on the run or people without an income have to be in the country then.

But its still not easy, even if its straightforward. The quantity of certified documentation, time spent at immigration, visa runs...

I suppose it was Wade Dooley that destroyed my faith in the Good English Police...

SC

After reading your post, it appears you just picked up and left your country and retired here without even a visit first. Hardly anything has changed here in over 25 years, except prices. It's still the third world country it was, the infastructure has not kept up with the population expansion, the government changes every couple of years whether it likes it or not and so on and so on ...... My point being, why didn't you know this before you moved here and are just asking it now ? Most people who retire here know what their getting in to. Sure ..... things change, people change, times change, however, Thailand has had these same issues for decades.

Edited by paulian

Which country are you talking about?