Fishing

snamos

Slightly off topic, but on topic, what's the story on going somewhere and throwing out a net and collecting some fish if you a foreigner? I see the locals doing it, but for some reason I'm thinking Phuket has some sort of law that says you're not supposed to.

I reckon you would be arrested and deported, seriously

I do a bit of diving and I always wanted to take a speargun with me so I could choose out some lunch, I have seen very few people do this...I was wondering on the legalities of that...Please no PADI police comments...I dont really care much for their rules

Slightly off topic, but on topic, what's the story on going somewhere and throwing out a net and collecting some fish if you a foreigner? I see the locals doing it, but for some reason I'm thinking Phuket has some sort of law that says you're not supposed to.

I reckon you would be arrested and deported, seriously

I do a bit of diving and I always wanted to take a speargun with me so I could choose out some lunch, I have seen very few people do this...I was wondering on the legalities of that...Please no PADI police comments...I dont really care much for their rules

It's legal to spear-fish as long as you are snorkeling.

Spear-fishing and SCUBA are illegal.

Thai rules or PADI rules?

Thai rules or PADI rules?

I don't know. That's what I've been told over the years by many people; mostly divers.

Yeah I know its illegal in Australia to do it. Reasons are that they are worried you might shoot someone and have an unfair advantage for catching fish, I pretty much dive solo and wouldnt be spearfishing where people are swimming

But im figuring that in Thailand they wouldnt give a hoot. I was sort of more questioning the legalities of spearfishing as a whole in Thailand.

• Like 1

Yeah I know its illegal in Australia to do it. Reasons are that they are worried you might shoot someone and have an unfair advantage for catching fish, I pretty much dive solo and wouldnt be spearfishing where people are swimming

But im figuring that in Thailand they wouldnt give a hoot. I was sort of more questioning the legalities of spearfishing as a whole in Thailand.

You dive solo? how deep do you go, do you use a pony bottle, these are just questions out of interest not having a go!! sea fishing is pretty crap all my fishing has been done at Cha Am awsome and huge Mekong catfish, also twice at Bungsamran again awesome but arm and back breaking action..

When I was diving I always wanted to dive solo, I do not trust any one with my life!!

You dive solo? how deep do you go, do you use a pony bottle, these are just questions out of interest not having a go!! sea fishing is pretty crap all my fishing has been done at Cha Am awsome and huge Mekong catfish, also twice at Bungsamran again awesome but arm and back breaking action..

When I was diving I always wanted to dive solo, I do not trust any one with my life!!

Deepest solo dive was 40 meters at the Similans, but i only bounced off the bottom and came up. I was so hung over I got narked bigtime. The dive computer was smilig at me and I thought a rock looked like a great white shark.

I generally carry a 'spare air' small cylinder if its a quiet joint....if its a busy dive site there is never a shortage of Russian/Korean and Japanese divers that are looking as lost as they do at Phuket Airport.....I figure if I run out of air I will go take a few quick puffs on the extra regulator and they wont be the wiser.

Diving solo is the way to go...your more alert and you dont have to worry about some egghead 'buddy' that cant clear his mask or cant swim etc etc.

When Im solo diving I normally swim around at the 5m safety stop until I run out of air (or become to buoyant) just to see what it feels like, that way im prepared for an out of air situation

I really want to go to Bungsamran, Ive watched Robson Green and he is a legend. Ive heard its expensive but I couldnt care less if its quality fishing. Im not a keen angler by any standards but if its world record shit I want in rolleyes.gif

Deepest solo dive was 40 meters at the Similans, but i only bounced off the bottom and came up. I was so hung over I got narked bigtime. The dive computer was smilig at me and I thought a rock looked like a great white shark.

I generally carry a 'spare air' small cylinder if its a quiet joint....if its a busy dive site there is never a shortage of Russian/Korean and Japanese divers that are looking as lost as they do at Phuket Airport.....I figure if I run out of air I will go take a few quick puffs on the extra regulator and they wont be the wiser.

Diving solo is the way to go...your more alert and you dont have to worry about some egghead 'buddy' that cant clear his mask or cant swim etc etc.

When Im solo diving I normally swim around at the 5m safety stop until I run out of air (or become to buoyant) just to see what it feels like, that way im prepared for an out of air situation

I really want to go to Bungsamran, Ive watched Robson Green and he is a legend. Ive heard its expensive but I couldnt care less if its quality fishing. Im not a keen angler by any standards but if its world record shit I want in rolleyes.gif

Bungsamram is not expensive as they have done away with duel pricing, it is now 400 bht for the day but obviously if you want to hire there equipment that will increase by I think 1000bht for there gear, if you have never hooked a Giant Mekong then it will be an experience you will not forget, they are stonger than Rambo on steriods!!

As for the solo diving I thought about it then thought differently, diving solo is okay if you do not care about your life and diving down to 40 mtrs alone is definitely life threatening particularly if you are suffering from a hangover!! I discovered I did not like diving with dive Buddy's due to lack of attention, and I hate currents so I do not dive any longer, the diving I do miss is dry suit diving in a quarry called Stoney Cove in Leicestrshire(UK, again not having a go just my opinion about diving, if you dive on your own you are taking responsibility for your self and not involving any one else so I guess it's okay for you..

Extra info on BSR if you saw Robson Green and the Thai guide he was with called Alley, <deleted> useless and one miserable man, I had this guide and nearly walked out of the lake due to his lack of interest and rudeness...

And this is the sort of thing you can catch if you are lucky!!!

post-58930-0-48824100-1321150070_thumb.j

Edited by kenny999

• 1 month later...

Am heading out to bluewater from Phuket this weekend, probably out of AoPo Grand marina in my 27 foot twin engine power cat. I will be looking for the FADS offshore from the airport and see if I can pick up some dolphin, sailfish, and possibly some Tuna. Will be tuning in my Garmin GPS, as well as trying out a new downrigger in case the fish are deep.

Am working on getting a Thai captain and crew trained up so I can charter the boat out for small fishing charters. Still some work to do to get a good book of coordinates together.

Would like to get an experienced crew member who knows how to tie a knot and not catch me or himself with a treble hook.

if interested, and can affor some gas cash, drop me a reply. Will be in Phuket on Saturday afternoon and be set to go out for Sunday-Tuesday.

Steve

Spear fishing is 100% legal as long as you are outside the boundaries of national parks. I don't believe there is any law saying that you can't spear on scuba.

If you were shooting a spear gun near where people were diving then I'm sure you would be breaking a law of some sort, but that wouldn't be because you were spearing on scuba but because you were being an irresponsible moron.

I don't know for sure but I would guess rod fishing from the shore line will be equally poor anywhere on Phuket.

There are quite a few good spots on the island. Many capes or shoreline with deep water close in will give you a chance at large pelagic if you live bait and chum your chances will increase. After running a chum line all day I had the pleasure of hooking a sailfish using a large garfish on a circle hook off the cape north west of Nai Harn / Ao Sane, its about a 1km goat scramble to get in but well worth it. I have seen Thais with large hand lines cast weighted hook with a large bait pull in a 3kg grouper an hour after sunset.

The cape at Leam Prothep is good though the current gets ripping on shifting tide, its a good spot to cast a popper.

Rawai pier get a bucket of chum and get a trail going.

beach for whiting and dart etc, the whiting are small but very tasty nonetheless.

The Cholay village in rawai has an old lady selling ten or twenty beach worms for 20b or so. I used to see her collecting them along rawai beach buy a few and go catch a feed of sand whiting at nai harn.

Jigging the shoals for squid can be a laugh and productive.

There are fish to be caught, though in no way can you compare it to places such as Oz.

spearfishing with air boils down to ethics, in most developing countries, locally Thais/cholay use hookah and bottle for hunting/gathering.

personally as long as you shoot outside protected waters only what you need then its somewhat fair game either way.

post-69690-0-97053000-1325285185_thumb.j

Am heading out to bluewater from Phuket this weekend, probably out of AoPo Grand marina in my 27 foot twin engine power cat. I will be looking for the FADS offshore from the airport and see if I can pick up some dolphin, sailfish, and possibly some Tuna. Will be tuning in my Garmin GPS, as well as trying out a new downrigger in case the fish are deep.

Am working on getting a Thai captain and crew trained up so I can charter the boat out for small fishing charters. Still some work to do to get a good book of coordinates together.

Would like to get an experienced crew member who knows how to tie a knot and not catch me or himself with a treble hook.

if interested, and can affor some gas cash, drop me a reply. Will be in Phuket on Saturday afternoon and be set to go out for Sunday-Tuesday.

Steve

send me a message i'm interested

Spear fishing is 100% legal as long as you are outside the boundaries of national parks. I don't believe there is any law saying that you can't spear on scuba.

If you were shooting a spear gun near where people were diving then I'm sure you would be breaking a law of some sort, but that wouldn't be because you were spearing on scuba but because you were being an irresponsible moron.

I don't know for sure but I would guess rod fishing from the shore line will be equally poor anywhere on Phuket.

Do you have a source for your information on using SCUBA for spear fishing? I have heard from many people, including my Thai neighbor who makes most of his living from spear fishing that using SCUBA to spear fish here is illegal.

Edited by Jimi007

One of the Thai lads came back yesterday morning carrying his rod and what I assumed to be 2 huge Barracuda, there is very good fishing somewhere near to Chalong, I will get the gf to ask him the next time we see him..

I ran a dive centre here for 8 years spearfishing is legal with or without scuba, outside parks. There is also no problem to bring a speargun in to Thailand I fly to the Philippines with mine all the time. The problem here is that there is very little left to shoot unless you get on the deeper wrecks and chum to bring out the big 30 kg plus groupers, palgics to 3kg can be found in shore if your in to being boring ..with chum you will also attract Baracuda, wahoo, and sharks.

I might have to go and reband my Riffe, come down there and show you how its done LOL

• 1 month later...

I ran a dive centre here for 8 years spearfishing is legal with or without scuba, outside parks. There is also no problem to bring a speargun in to Thailand I fly to the Philippines with mine all the time. The problem here is that there is very little left to shoot unless you get on the deeper wrecks and chum to bring out the big 30 kg plus groupers, palgics to 3kg can be found in shore if your in to being boring ..with chum you will also attract Baracuda, wahoo, and sharks.

I might have to go and reband my Riffe, come down there and show you how its done LOL

Are there any places in Pattaya to go spear fishing? What's the water like around there.? I'll be completely new to the area. I am moving that way from Isaan.

Thank you!