Driving License Report

Hello everyone,

This site has been very useful to me, and I think it's only fair that I share my experiences when it comes to dealing with Thai officials.

I decided to get a Thai driver's license in Mukdahan on my non-imm ED visa. Here's a quick report of what I did and what I needed.

I arrived at Mukdahan Immigration in the afternoon. I was the only one there. I had already made copies of all documents I thought were necessary. They gave me a form for my landlord to fill out and told me I needed to bring them some sort of letter from the department of land transportation. They also told me I needed to have a copy of the entry stamp in my passport, not just of the departure card.

I headed back to my residency, got my landlord to fill out the form, went to the department of land transportation, asked about the letter that was required, they gave it to me in an envelope after looking at my passport, international driving permit, and California license.

I went back to the immigration office which was still empty. I handed them the form filled out by my landlord and the letter from the department of land transportation. They made me sign copies of my passport photo page, visa, and entry stamp/departure card. They took my passport and after about 10 minutes handed it back to me with part of the residency form filled out by my landlord stapled inside. They gave me back the letter from the department of land transportation. There were no fees involved, and all the officials were very nice and very helpful.

I went to a small clinic for the medical certificate. It cost 50 baht and all they did was check my heart.

The next morning I went to the department of land transportation. There might have been 10 people there, and I turned in signed copies of my passport picture page, visa page, arrival stamp, international driver's license, California driver's license, and medical certificate. I waited about 15 minutes and they called me into the other room and made me take a color test. A man pointed to colors and I read the names in Thai. Yellow, green, red, yellow, red, green, red, light blue, dark blue...I think they were just having a little fun because everyone laughed when I messed up the word for dark blue (my Thai classes don't start for another 2 weeks). I never took any reflex test or any other test. They took me over to the photo booth, printed out a license for me, took 250 baht, and that was it. I must admit I was a little confused about what was required a lot of the time, as the girl at the department of land transportation told me I'd need a copy of the back of my international driver's permit when I visited the first afternoon. The next day they never asked for it.

I'll list out everything I needed.

For proof of residency at immigration:

-One signed copy of my passport photo page.

-One signed copy of my current visa page.

-One signed copy of my departure card and arrival stamp in my passport. (I had to go back to the copy shop because the first time I only had a copy of my departure card and the stamp on the card and not of the identical stamp in the passport, which the officer had stamped all the way back on a page that hadn't been used since 2007).

-A letter from the department of land transportation (which they just gave to me in an envelope and told me to take to immigration after I asked about it).

-A form filled out by my landlord as proof of residency.

No costs were involved, and it only took them about 10 minutes after I had everything they needed. I read that I needed two passport photos-I had them and they said they weren't needed.

-For the license at the department of land transportation:

-One signed copy of my passport photo page.

-One signed copy of my passport visa page.

-One signed copy of my passport arrival stamp.

-One signed copy of my California driver's license, front and back.

-One signed copy of my international driving permit.

-One medical certificate.

-Returned letter from immigration and whatever amendments they made to it.

-Eye test.

-250 baht.

strange, some say paid 500B for certificate of residency.

Yes, I've read the same thing. I've also read where some people have gotten it for free, but it took a few weeks and required a visit from the police. It seems that every Thai government office has a different requirements.

strange, some say paid 500B for certificate of residency.

Yes, I've read the same thing. I've also read where some people have gotten it for free, but it took a few weeks and required a visit from the police. It seems that every Thai government office has a different requirements.

It's 500 Baht in Chiang Mai with a special window and non-immigration department staff manning it. It used to be freedry.gif

Others have said that an International Drivers License is all you need to drive in Thailand. I am still using my Canadian Drivers License.

I could be mistaken with the following and stand to be corrected if necessary:

I am of the understanding that you can only drive on your International license (in combination with your national DL) for a limited amount of time (3 months ?) on a Tourist Visa or Entry stamp (visa exemption stamp on arrival).

If you are in Thailand on anything other than a Tourist Visa or Entry Stamp you are required to obtain a Thai drivers license.

That said – I’ve not heard or read about anyone facing difficulties when driving on an international license on a Non-Imm visa.

I’ve even had an accident in the past when all I showed to the Police and insurance was my UK license (the original paper copy without the photo).

However, as per the OP, obtaining the Thai drivers license is simple and takes very little effort. It’s worth doing if not for any other reason than the state of mind it places you in knowing you are fully legal should you get pulled by the BIB.

Others have said that an International Drivers License is all you need to drive in Thailand. I am still using my Canadian Drivers License.

I think from memory that you are only supposed to drive for 3 months on an international. I would look it up but our internet is so slow and locking up today would be an exercise in frustration. It is probably mentioned in the pinned thread et the top of the cars forum.

The best part of having a Thai licence is that I no longer need to carry my passport, as the licence is considered sufficient as is Thai government issued ID. Only ever carried a copy of the passport anyway if near home and worked on if a really persistent BIB then slip a donation to the tea fund. The required donation would probably be about the cost of the licence.

Cheers

I've also read that the international permit is technically only good for 3 months, and that it is wise to get a Thai license in the event of a collision, as some insurance companies may insist upon it. It is quite nice not carrying around the bulky IDL, passport, and California license. I guess I got used to it after a while, but I prefer keeping my passport safe at home. Yesterday I was able to exchange dollars at Kasikorn bank with just a license. In the past they've insisted on a copy of my passport.

Car smashed into my motorbike in Roi-Et, after hospital went to police station, they asked for my passport, I had only my Canadian Drivers License with me, they acceped it as I.D. It was the other drivers fault the police photographed him giving me 3,000Bhat, the insurance company paid all my hospital bills for more than three months, with weekly visits and therapy, in my case the insurance company did not even ask for a drivers license.

Car smashed into my motorbike in Roi-Et, after hospital went to police station, they asked for my passport, I had only my Canadian Drivers License with me, they acceped it as I.D. It was the other drivers fault the police photographed him giving me 3,000Bhat, the insurance company paid all my hospital bills for more than three months, with weekly visits and therapy, in my case the insurance company did not even ask for a drivers license.

You were lucky, and the insurance companies are getting smarter. You might not be so lucky next time. Why risk it?

We used to say the Thai drivers licence for foreigners is violet and carries the number "500" on it, but that's long ago. I also got an offer for a Thai driver's licence at the time: "only 500 Baht, looks real, I promise". I went to the land department and the real one cost THB 105 at the time (some 20 years ago). I think renewal every five years still costs THB 105 for the car and THB 55 for the motorcylce, someone correct me.

I suggest to get the Thai drivers licence. Why violate the law and risk that the next insurance company doesn't pay, if it is so easy to be legal? Plus, consider the additional benefit of the Thai driver's licence being accepted everywhere in the country as a legal government ID.

I think from memory that you are only supposed to drive for 3 months on an international. I would look it up but our internet is so slow and locking up today would be an exercise in frustration. It is probably mentioned in the pinned thread et the top of the cars forum.

The best part of having a Thai licence is that I no longer need to carry my passport, as the licence is considered sufficient as is Thai government issued ID. Only ever carried a copy of the passport anyway if near home and worked on if a really persistent BIB then slip a donation to the tea fund. The required donation would probably be about the cost of the licence.

Cheers

I just got an Int'l DL. Always used my US DL with no problem. Have never carried my passport or a copy. I only got the Int'l DL because the wife is pressuring me to get a get the Thai DL so I can get Thai prices for National parks.

You were lucky, and the insurance companies are getting smarter. You might not be so lucky next time. Why risk it?

We used to say the Thai drivers licence for foreigners is violet and carries the number "500" on it, but that's long ago. I also got an offer for a Thai driver's licence at the time: "only 500 Baht, looks real, I promise". I went to the land department and the real one cost THB 105 at the time (some 20 years ago). I think renewal every five years still costs THB 105 for the car and THB 55 for the motorcylce, someone correct me.

I suggest to get the Thai drivers licence. Why violate the law and risk that the next insurance company doesn't pay, if it is so easy to be legal? Plus, consider the additional benefit of the Thai driver's licence being accepted everywhere in the country as a legal government ID.

I haven't had many accidents in 30 years of driving here and I have never had a problem with insurance companies. Maybe it is a Bangkok thing. I have never had an accident in Bangkok. I stay out as much as possible.

The procedure is a bit different in Chiang Mai and someone who wants to get a TDL there should consult the CM portion of TV and use the search function.

But, the basic idea is similar. We definitely have to pay 500 baht for a cert. of residence here. The doctor at CM Ram did check me for color blindness, just as they did at the driver's license place. Also had to do the reflex test there, but they let me take that test three times because I was confused about what they wanted. Besides, my reflexes aren't good, anyway!

I have no intention of actually driving in Thailand, but I want to keep an active DL someplace in the world and my U.S. license was set to expire soon. It's much more difficult to get a TDL if you don't have an active license from elsewhere. The TDL looks really cool! I understand that I'll be able to use it to rent cars if I ever return to the U.S. (where I no longer have a license). As mentioned, the ID number on the TDL consists of your passport number, with a three digit prefix. Each nationality has a unique three-digit prefix. I guess that makes it easier for the police to notify the proper embassy if you're killed in an accident.

The license works well to get the senior discount at the Airport Plaza movie theater -- the staff knows where to look for birthday info. Also, your address is on the back, in Thai. Makes it easier to set up deliveries or service at your home. Just show the back of your TDL to the clerk rather than trying to tell them your address in Thai. Plus, each province has a unique little emblem in the bottom right corner of the front of the TDL. The symbol for CM province is a cute picture of the infamous panda family at the CM Zoo. (Some Thai people don't know this -- I showed it to my Thai language teacher and she pulled out her TDL and was surprised to see lamyai -- she's from Lamphun.)

All-in-all a TDL is a worthwhile investment if you live here long-term, even if you never plan to drive a vehicle.

You are aware you can keep your US license current even if living outside the country? For some a tax issue but for most routine.

Nope, wasn't aware of that and it's good info to have on this thread. Too late for me; my US DL already expired. Wonder how hard it is to do. We had a devil of a time trying to convince the little township in Michigan where we used to live that they were suppose to permit us to do absentee voting. Got it straightened out after a few phone calls and emails. I can't imagine trying to do this with the drivers license people in our state -- at least I knew the ladies in the township office. ("Aren't you the ones who sold your farm and moved to Taiwan?" Is how I'm remembered there!)