Chiang Mai Studio/ 1Bed Required Jan / Feb

beautifulthailand99

Am looking to spend around 2 months in Chiang Mai Jan/Feb and would like a secure studio/1 bed apartment fairly central with reliable internet and maybe a pool. Any suggestions gratefully received and / or any ideas of how much I should be paying. Can speak Thai to a reasonable level and have worked in Bkk before so pretty au fait with the culture.

Regs

Ian

If you're looking for inexpensive and central, the Night Bazaar Condos are good value, with studios around 5000 baht + charges per month. The downside is that it is an old building, and the lower floors are not so pleasant, some of the apartments rather dingy. But if you ask for a higher floor, and insist on looking at several, then you can usually find one in reasonable, if not pristine condition.

Can't really expect too much at that price though, and in such a central location. It's in the soi (Tha Pae Soi 1) just behind Chang Klan, the Night Bazaar Road, right next to Foxy Lady A Go-Go. Not that that is necessarily a selling point.

Edit - sorry, no pool though.

Edited by wedders

Many thanks Wedders for your quick feedback - sounds a bit too cheap at first glance - is it relatively secure in your opinion ? Does anybody have any other suggestions up to the 10k per month range .

This looks nice http://www.homebyhouse.com/listing-a-condo-in-chiangmai-city-is-available-for-rent-49.html

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Imm Eco Resort or Huey Kaew Residense near KSK shopping mall. I have done both but short 2 month stay the Imm Eco has a great pool and free wifi...long-term Huey Kaew would work if upgrade to what they call high speed web with grocery and shoppimng next door. googgle both and look what you find.

Royal Lanna right in the heart of the night Bazaar 8,000 baht a month but you have to supply your own bedding and towels. It has a swimming pool also.

The coffee shop has the best value hamburger in Chiang Mai. There are better hamburgers but not as good a value as there's. Also the club sandwich is a good value.

Thanks Mr Dolly now spoilt for choice - the deal breaker for me is efficient internet as I have some clients in the UK that I hope to be able to continue to service (SEO) - as I'm now self-employed this is a bit of a pilot to see if it's possible to live in the Smiley Kingdom and earn a crust.

Thanks Invex and ChiangMaiSausage - this is a great list of possibles and a real credit to what the forum is - an unrivalled source of great , insightful info. What did we do in the days pre-t'internet ( took risks and relied on face to face connections that's what).

First time I visited CM was in 1996 at Loy Krathong and Clinton was visiting the country. I saw Chinese fire lanterns in the night sky and I thought the stars were on fire and this must be some strange function of this part of the world. Am a wiser and older man now !

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone - I arrive in CM on the 13th Jan and am staying in Hotel M for 4 nights whilst I get my bearings - I booked it through hotels.com and used a 10% discount voucher code to get 4 nights no breakfast for £78 all in which seems reasonable. Always worth googling for the codes if you use hotels.com and I have has some great hotels and bargains through the site.

I intend to have a look at all the great suggestions given so far and as I said before - central location - pref walking distance from Night Bazaar - budget 5 - 10k per month for 2 months max. Must have very reliable internet and good security and as an added bonus pool/gym. Are there any other options to add to my list - many thanks in advance and I might well share a beer with some of you once I'm in country.

Kind regards

Ian

Many thanks Wedders for your quick feedback - sounds a bit too cheap at first glance - is it relatively secure in your opinion ? Does anybody have any other suggestions up to the 10k per month range .

This looks nice http://www.homebyhou...or-rent-49.html

Apologies, I missed your reply.

Yes I know people who have lived permanently in the Night Bazaar Condos, or have stayed there for a month or two, never a problem.

Edited by wedders

This looks nice http://www.homebyhou...or-rent-49.html

Apologies, I missed your reply.

Yes I know people who have lived permanently in the Night Bazaar Condos, or have stayed there for a month or two, never a problem.

Thanks Wedders that sounds like it will be my first port of call after afoot massage of course. BTW is it easy to use hotel/ condo swimming pools if so what do they charge ?

When they have a pool, most condo buildings/hotels don't charge residents/guests ime.

Night Bazaar Condos is a low-end place, no pool.

Many thanks for all the advice given on her - in the end I plumped for the Night Bazaar Condotel as it has a fab location and a good price for a newbie (5000b pm ) and the internet seems ok and reasonably fast at 500b a month extra. Whilst the fabric of the building is a little careworn it is clean and eminently fit for purpose and surprisingly quiet haven't heard a peep from my neighbours assuming I have any.

In the longer run I could see myself tiring of what you say is the low end nature of the place and a pool would be nice. First impressions of CM are it is a laid back friendly affordable kind town with a nice overall vibe to it.

These pics look to be exactly the room I'm in on the 11th Floor

http://thprp.org/property-10049/

Regs

Ian

High floor, good choice. No chance of hearing the music from Foxy a GoGo from there :)

As you say, you can't get a much better location, so less money spent on tuktuks too. "Careworn" sums it up - I could imagine getting a bit depressed living there for longer than a month or two. With the money saved though there are some nearby gyms/spas in hotels available with short-term memberships, and which have pools.

Cheaper to use a laundry nearby, rather than the in-house service.

I think electric/cable etc is extra, so watch the aircon use. Don't think the friends who've used the building were overcharged though.

Hear from my ex-wife there that Chiang Mai is pretty busy at the moment. Otherwise your description is exactly how I remember it, and I do miss the place. I'm in Pattaya right now, it couldn't be much more of a contrast. Think I'll make a trip up there in the middle of Feb, if I can think of a way to avoid the ex mellow.png ...

High floor, good choice. No chance of hearing the music from Foxy a GoGo from there smile.png

As you say, you can't get a much better location, so less money spent on tuktuks too. "Careworn" sums it up - I could imagine getting a bit depressed living there for longer than a month or two. With the money saved though there are some nearby gyms/spas in hotels available with short-term memberships, and which have pools.

Cheaper to use a laundry nearby, rather than the in-house service.

I think electric/cable etc is extra, so watch the aircon use. Don't think the friends who've used the building were overcharged though.

Hear from my ex-wife there that Chiang Mai is pretty busy at the moment. Otherwise your description is exactly how I remember it, and I do miss the place. I'm in Pattaya right now, it couldn't be much more of a contrast. Think I'll make a trip up there in the middle of Feb, if I can think of a way to avoid the ex mellow.png ...

You're not wrong there Wedders - Pattaya sort of depresses me a bit not that I'm a monk or anything. There is 50baht kg ironing and laundry just around the corner and no need for ac at the moment - was actually cold last night riding pillion at around midnight- first time ever in Thailand. Pillows are a bit grim though and have seen better days. If you're on a tight budget and just want to get your bearings then recommended - just. If you come up give us a shout and I'd happily go for a drink - don't worry about the ex - if you meet up keep smiling and increase your karmic points. The reception staff are friendly and helpful enough in the Thai way that helpful is.