Abhisit Vows Not To Exploit Crisis

Lite Beer

Abhisit vows not to exploit crisis

Prapasri Osathanon

The Nation on Sunday

30169795-01.JPG

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on the second and last day of the joint House-Senate debate that he was not seeking to politically exploit the flood crisis or seek to undo the Yingluck Shinawatra administration for the meantime.

He added, however, that the government should not make the Opposition party a "scapegoat" for the crisis.

Abhisit also proposed the government to strengthen four areas of water management in the future. These include: a unified water management and drainage operations under one organisation and with linked data and information; more accurate communication with the public was also proposed, as well as ways to manage rain-related flood water.

Abhisit said "at no time in history has the opposition party been as committed as now to work with the government in order to address the crisis". He said he had tried to avoid unconstructive criticisms and yet was accused by the speaker of Pheu Thai Party of being "pretentious", and was also opposed by people in some flood areas.

Abhisit also urged the government to quickly save Rama II Road, the main route linking Bangkok and the South as well as industrial estates such as Bangchan and Lat Krabang.

"It's dangerous to only think politically," Abhisit warned, adding that the allegation his administration kept too much water in major dams is false as the Agriculture Minister had now admitted to delaying the discharge of water from dams to allow farmers downstream to finish harvesting first.

Prime Minister Yingluck, meanwhile, reiterated to the joint session her decision to continue to serve "until the end", adding she will accept all recommendations and forward it to the two committees recently set up. She added that those who have to bear more flood water will be specially compensated.

Yingluck added that it is ludicrous that some had even alleged the government had allowed crocodiles to flee so they could attack people. As for the relief bags, Yingluck admitted there were problems with political feud in some areas, which affected the dispersal of the bags. She said those found to be involved in corruption would be prosecuted.

The premier ended her address to the joint session shortly after 11am yesterday, stating: "I would like to reiterate that I will be patient and earnest and will not retreat from solving the problem and rehabilitating the country and restore trust in the people. I ask for moral support and unity among members [of both Houses] and the people and would like to offer the happiness of the people as gift to His Majesty on his 84th birthday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-13

Abhisit smart man - keep your mouth shut, stay out of it and let the government take all the credit for the successes and failures it is already enduring. With the latter far outweighing the former at the present moment.

If the opposition is silent and nods in agreement with the government and its decisions who will PTP blame it on when it all goes wrong!!!

"As for the relief bags, Yingluck admitted there were problems with political feud in some areas."

What she means is that red shirt areas are getting preference with relief bag distribution - so much for reconciliation and democracy and no double standards.

And if the elections were to have been held when they were actually due, which was this month November, it would be Abhisits dems who would be getting the flack and heading for an even bigger defeat then they actually had.

Unless of course anyone is naive enough to think the dems would have coped with it better?

Perhaps Abhisit was aware of the coming flooding, bit like Noah, that was to cause chaos in Thailand and arranged the elections accordingly. :)

And if the elections were to have been held when they were actually due, which was this month November, it would be Abhisits dems who would be getting the flack and heading for an even bigger defeat then they actually had.

Unless of course anyone is naive enough to think the dems would have coped with it better?

Perhaps Abhisit was aware of the coming flooding, bit like Noah, that was to cause chaos in Thailand and arranged the elections accordingly. :)

This sounds closer to the truth...

BTW- I wonder if we'll ever know who gave the order to the folks (still in their same Dem seats after elections) in charge of the dams? That is the 2 trillion baht question.....

Even the democrats would have coped with it better. No one would have seen that PTP would have done it worse.

Idiot conspiracy theory. You actually believe this?? I feel pity for you.

BTW- I wonder if we'll ever know who gave the order to the folks (still in their same Dem seats after elections) in charge of the dams? That is the 2 trillion baht question.....

Abhisit is God? I just think that he´s good!

The pity lies elsewhere if you seriously believe what I posted was my belief. :rolleyes:

Good at what...?

If Abhisit would be that good, to know that before, he would have pulled some other tricks and won the election....

I think Abhisit isn't good at all, but everyone else is much worse and criminal. That makes Abhisit look like a shining star.

According to the article, the Ministry of Agriculture made the decision to hold back the water, so as to allow farmers downstream to finish harvesting.

Only thing is - the need to limit the release of water would occur every year. Yet, per charts I have seen, less than average amounts of water were discharged (prior to the heavy rains). Still no entirely clear explanation for that.

According to the article, the Ministry of Agriculture made the decision to hold back the water, so as to allow farmers downstream to finish harvesting.

Only thing is - the need to limit the release of water would occur every year. Yet, per charts I have seen, less than average amounts of water were discharged (prior to the heavy rains). Still no entirely clear explanation for that.

Puntmeister,

I suppose I should have underlined the word "who" in my second to last sentence to put a bit of emphasis on it... and yes still no clear explanation. Why would the Agriculture Minister want to become a martyr and very disliked? Very "unThai" if you ask me.....

"As for the relief bags, Yingluck admitted there were problems with political feud in some areas."

What she means is that red shirt areas are getting preference with relief bag distribution - so much for reconciliation and democracy and no double standards.

You do understand that the provincial governments have the responsibility for the local aid distribution. There is a problem in some provinces with entrenched power groups behaving badly. Justas the PM had to deal with the insubordination of the Bangkok governor, she also has to deal with the inappropriate acts of a few provincial officials.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on the second and last day of the joint House-Senate debate that he was not seeking to politically exploit the flood crisis or seek to undo the Yingluck Shinawatra administration for the meantime.

Whilst I do have a good amount of respect for Abhisit, I wonder if someone who understands his MO better than I can explain the apparent disparity between his reported 'vow' of the OP and the Nation article entitled:

Abhisit backs group set to sue the govt

which can be found on this page:

This article is about suing the gov for mismanagement of the floods. So what's going on?

Cheers!

The pity lies elsewhere if you seriously believe what I posted was my belief. :rolleyes:

Are you saying your posts have nothing to do with your beliefs.

Thanks I will keep that in mind when I read them. :(

Good at what...?

Stopping red shirt terrorists from burning Bangkok down and invading hospitals.

The question is what is Yingluck good at besides smiling , crying and backing down on her election pledges.

I forgot she can cook and take a boat fill it full of her supporters and press hand out a few care packages and smile for the Photographers. Never mind the boat could have been used to help out the needy.

Puntmeister,

I suppose I should have underlined the word "who" in my second to last sentence to put a bit of emphasis on it... and yes still no clear explanation. Why would the Agriculture Minister want to become a martyr and very disliked? Very "unThai" if you ask me.....

Wasn't he appointed by Thaksin who stood to gain if the water was held back long enough to get in a crop of rice?

You do understand that the provincial governments have the responsibility for the local aid distribution. There is a problem in some provinces with entrenched power groups behaving badly. Justas the PM had to deal with the insubordination of the Bangkok governor, she also has to deal with the inappropriate acts of a few provincial officials.

And as they were her supporters for the elections it ain't going to happen.

I wasent aware that she had dealt with his insubordination. I know a lot of her supporters tried to blame it all on him.

Nice try any how

Edited by hellodolly

Puntmeister,

Well, as you allude to, the article actually states it was the minister, not the ministry - thus, in theory, the actual miniser is admitting blame. I wouldn't just go on this article alone, though.

It would make sense, and it is perfectly plausible, that it was indeed the agricultural minister. I know that doesn't fit into any conspiracy theories, but its likely the truth.

As to why he would admit to it? Who knows. I don't know him well enough (at all, really) to know how responsible he is. Yes, I get it - most Thais are irresponsible. But, then again, most Thais aren't departmental ministers either. Perhaps he is a more honest, responsible type than the average. Perhaps the evidence was overwhelming. Or perhaps (fititing with potential conspiracy theory) he was pressured into it.

Whilst I do have a good amount of respect for Abhisit, I wonder if someone who understands his MO better than I can explain the apparent disparity between his reported 'vow' of the OP and the Nation article entitled:

Abhisit backs group set to sue the govt

which can be found on this page:

http://www.thaivisa....is/page__st__25

This article is about suing the gov for mismanagement of the floods. So what's going on?

Cheers!

Big mistake on his part, chiming in on the lawsuit.

Personally, I'm all for the lawsuit, but not for partisan political reasons. I can chime in, as my opinion counts not at all.

Abhisit grossly misunderstands his own hypocrisy - stating the disaster shouldn't be politicised, yet jumping behind a lawsuit suing the government while the flood waters are still raging.

GK - Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say in good faith the your expect or believe that the PM will go after insubordinate PTP supporting provincial governors who have shown political prejudice in the distribution of relief supplies with the same zeal that her and her MPs go after the perceived insubordination of the Bangkok governor? No double standards - Give me a break - The PTP / UDD rallying call returns to bite them in the backside.

Edited by jonclark