Can Gout Attack Happen In Non-Joint Area?

Wrong Turn

Thanks for anyone that can possible give info or help:

Situation:

Last night, I went to bed at mid-night, and got up at 6:30 AM for work. Nothing different or unusual - except I had a sore bump on my right outside part of my arm, but not in my elbow joint.

The pain an swelling is below the elbow joint itself. Close to the joint but not in it. I thought gout happen inside joints.

All day it has slow grown and it's pulsing with pain. (I have had gout in my right elbow twice before, but it was right on/in the joint itself.

I did *not* injure mys arm in any way. The swollen area is read, and very hot/warm.

Could this be gout?

Do you have Psoriasis skin problems .?

No, not that I know of, BUT....I have had skins damage on my face that makes it red in Winter weather and exposure to sun rays - I wear sunblock.

Thaks FRB and the other poster.

the swelling, and the bulge is inside, but the redness is on the outside (on the skin).

Thanks, and any more info possible?

Short answer: NO, by the very nature of the mechanism of the disease, gout occurrs only in joints. Perhaps somewhere there is trauma to soft tissue but this is rare.

Exclude a developing abcess..

Thanks, FRB.

Exclude an abcess? Why?

Short answer: NO, by the very nature of the mechanism of the disease, gout occurrs only in joints. Perhaps somewhere there is trauma to soft tissue but this is rare.

Exclude a developing abcess..

Thanks, FRB.

Exclude an abcess? Why?

Purely by the description of symptoms; "red, hot, pulsating" (assume it means "throbbing"..)

If an abcess, it would usually be accompanied by enlarged glands in the axilla and perhaps fever as well. Best to have this checked asap. Gout can occur in the "tennis elbow" region at the elbow but any infective process needs to be eliminated or treated asap..

Update

I went to a hospital today in South East Asia, with a good reputation.

I took blood test for many things: glucose normal, blood pressure normal 120/80, Uric Acid was "little to somewhat" high, and my white blood cell count was high. The Dr. thinks that it might be because I am fighting an infection.

My Dr. thinks that I might have a soft tissue bacterial infection in my arm.

I am now taking anti-biotics, an anti-inflammatory, colchine, and and one other thing.

If no, or little improvement in 7 days, I am to return to this doctor.

The rash & inflammation is spreading slowly. It's getting close to my wrist, and has gone just above my elbow.

I am elevating my arm - it *seems* to be working.

The pains is severe because the swelling and redness has reached my elbow (a joint).

Any further comments and opinions by anyone?

I am worried.

Update

"My Dr. thinks that I might have a soft tissue bacterial infection in my arm.

I am now taking anti-biotics, an anti-inflammatory, colchine, and and one other thing"

I think you meant Colchicine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine

Its only used for gout so he must be treating you for it. People saying you can only get it in a joint are just guessing. I had re occurring gout for years on the instep of my foot where the arch is and there are no joints there.

was the anti inflammatory Predisnone by any chance?

Its very easy to get confused at the doctors

Thanks for the reply and info, Hooters.

It is, COLCHICINE. I am very familiar with it. I took one today.

The anti-inflamm is: DALACIN. A 300 MG tablet.

However....Tonight, since I got home with the wrong anti-biotic b/c I'm allergice to pennicillin/Amoxycillin I have only taken:

1. 1 Colchicine

2. 1 Indomathacin/Indocine to start.

Yes, it could be gout. Me and the Doc are both crap-shooting/guessing, but my entire inner arm from the elbow to near my wrist on the inner part of my for-arm is read, and painful. This does not sound like gout.

I will get a replacement anti-biotic tomorrow, because I was given pennicillin/amoxy, because I forgot to say I was allergic.

Are anti-biotics necessary?

Dalacin is the antibiotic (Clindamycin) which is fine to use in Penicillin allergy. (Google it..)

Definitely suggest to continue this. Indomethazine (Indocid) may cause a rash but this may also be due to a soft tissue infection. The longer you delay treating an infection the higher the risk of it spreading systemically; have this seen to and managed asap..

This sounds like it could be cellulitis. This is a bacterial infection of the soft tissue. Treated with antibiotics. Causes swelling, red and very hot to the touch. I have had it in my ear where it has caused blistering and peeling three levels deep. While it is not dangerous in itself it can become serious if it gets in the blood. If I remember correctly there are specific antibiotics that are used to treat this condition. Unfortunately I believe they are penicillin based.

I would suggest you Google cellulitis and then talk to your Dr.

PennyFarthing123

(sorry I am using BEENTHEREDONETHAT"s computer)

Dalacin is the antibiotic (Clindamycin) which is fine to use in Penicillin allergy. (Google it..)

Thank you so much for this info. I am googling Dalacin, now. Specifically I it is Dalacin C 300 mg.

I was confused and thought Dalacin was an anti-inflamm because my doctor prescribed the anti-biotic "Augmentin" which had "amoxycillon" on the box - which I'm allergic to. I returned the Augmentin (amoxycillin) this morning for a refund, but could not see this doctor again because I'd have to wait and I had to go to work.

I will take:

1. The anti-biotic Dalacin(which is ok with my penicillin allergy as you say?!

2. Colchicine

3. Indomethacine

As my doctor prescribed.

So....my Dr. prescribed me 2 anti-biotics: Augmentin (amoxycilin) and Dalacin.

I hope by just taking the Dalacin as prescribed that I can overcome this.

Edited by Wrong Turn

Before these Quacks get you running round like a Headless Chicken , go get a blood test for Uric Acid... A change in Diet can give us many worries . Take it easy , i listened to the Bar Stool Experts once , it was just Purines in Bisto / Soup etc and Ferang food generally.Spinage can nobble me overnight.. coffee1.gif

go get a blood test for Uric Acid....[/img]

Thansk for the response, "wnderinstar."

My Dr. did check my blood for many things and one of them was uric acid.

My Uric Acid level was "higher than normal" but not a lot - but it was high.

This is why my Dr. gave me the Colchicine prescript, in addition with the other medication, as a precautionary measure.

Never heard of "noni" juice, garygreen. I'll try a google.

As for my possible soft tissue infection, I am taking the Dalacin anti-biotics, and will do so for 10 days, but have stopped the colchicine and other meds.

The swelling, redness and pain is gone.

There is however, a hard bump on my bone on the outside of my arm just below my elbow. A hard bump. Feels like a bone. It's actually on or in the bone.

No pain, and it's barely more warm that my other arm. Most of the time it's the same temperature.

So I assume (knock on wood) that I am getting better.

Edited by Wrong Turn