WebBangkok

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai's have specific names for each of the Asian nations,

the rest are lumped together as Farang.

Africans are not Farangs and Jewish are not Farang

So someone who is from the east end of London and happens to be jewish is not a farang ?:blink:

Got a feeling this will be TV debate number 349821 on what "farang" really means....just waiting for Sin Sot and you just dont understand Thai culture to be thrown into the mix

I am African and get called Farang all the time...:whistling:

Edited by Soutpeel

I lost it at a fat old scottish farang at mcd's on silom one morning two months ago. The guy was yelling at the staff about his order and then started calling the poor girl a stupid XYZ expletive.

Then he turned to me and said "Why don't these ____ people learn English - it's an American Restaurant, been here for 20 years and sick of it".

To which I replied in a not so calm manner, "if you have been 20 years why don't you learn how to speak some Thai - I can barely understand your scottish accent, it's no wonder the girl rolled her eyes at you mumbling away".

Hope the guy is a member of TV by the way_ dick-head.

He is now working at a pizza shop. Here he is.:D

Once saw an American guy lose it at the airport.

He was going ballistic because there were no seats left on the plane and he was demanding to be on it. Don't quite understand what the girl at check-in was expected to do, take a ticket from somebody else and give it to him?

Presumably he had a 'booked' seat? its hard to imagine anyone going ballistic otherwise.

Edit - Airlines have a nasty habit of 'over-booking', assuming that some will not turn-up.

No, that's the thing

He arrived at the airport without a ticket, only then to flip when told it was sold out.

He entertained the entire check-in hall with his shenannigans

I mean we all get frustrated at times but the way he was going on about it is like his wife just sold his house and ran off with her cousin.

Maybe that did happen, the root cause of many foreigners snapping in Thailand is something similar to that

I had a little snap today.

At the chemist the assistant was trying to serve 4 customers at once and confused everybody. Why cant they just serve one person at a time instead of trying to help cue jumpers ?

When it came my turn she gave me the medecine , all I had to do was pay , and then , right on cue and Indian fellow walks up and shoves a packet under her nose and asks for a price check, she grabs the packet and walks off to wait for the chemist to finish serving his customer before she can check the price ... HELLO can I please pay!!

This happens in all retail situations and drives me a bit crazy

At the chemist the assistant was trying to serve 4 customers at once and confused everybody. Why cant they just serve one person at a time instead of trying to help cue jumpers ?

When it came my turn she gave me the medecine , all I had to do was pay , and then , right on cue and Indian fellow walks up and shoves a packet under her nose and asks for a price check, she grabs the packet and walks off to wait for the chemist to finish serving his customer before she can check the price ... HELLO can I please pay!!

Easily solved, walk out, pay when they run out to catch you (or don't)

Once saw an American guy lose it at the airport.

He was going ballistic because there were no seats left on the plane and he was demanding to be on it. Don't quite understand what the girl at check-in was expected to do, take a ticket from somebody else and give it to him?

Presumably he had a 'booked' seat? its hard to imagine anyone going ballistic otherwise.

Edit - Airlines have a nasty habit of 'over-booking', assuming that some will not turn-up.

No, that's the thing

He arrived at the airport without a ticket, only then to flip when told it was sold out.

Some airlines won't let you on the plane without a shenannigans visa .

No, that's the thing

Some airlines won't let you on the plane without a shenannigans visa .

Excellent :D

I lost it at a fat old scottish farang at mcd's on silom one morning two months ago. The guy was yelling at the staff about his order and then started calling the poor girl a stupid XYZ expletive.

Then he turned to me and said "Why don't these ____ people learn English - it's an American Restaurant, been here for 20 years and sick of it".

To which I replied in a not so calm manner, "if you have been 20 years why don't you learn how to speak some Thai - I can barely understand your scottish accent, it's no wonder the girl rolled her eyes at you mumbling away".

Hope the guy is a member of TV by the way_ dick-head.

lol yeah I hate seeing shit like that. I mean your in Thailand for christ sake.

Yeah I am half Scottish and know what some of us are like. A lot of us are total tools, but not me ofcourse.

Nothing against Scots - just his accent and moreover the fact that he was screaming at the girl with the whole restaurant watching amazed me. Then he turns and basically calls them all a bunch of uneducated _expletive. This is a guy in a shirt and tie by the way. I mean we all get frustrated at times but the way he was going on about it is like his wife just sold his house and ran off with her cousin.

Maybe his wife had just sold his house and run off with her cousin.

Maybe he couldn't find the thread for tourette's sufferers.

Sadly not everyone's as placid and easy-going as you and I

SC

My Thai girlfriend snapped before I did.

Next doors dog kept getting onto my patio and shitting on it. Said dog is about the size of a rat / cat. We had asked several times for them to control their dog but to no avail. I even wired the bottom of the gate to stop the little sh*t getting in yet it still got through. Maybe when we went out to the shops or to take her to work and we never locked the gate. When we got back the neighbours dog had had a dump on the patio yet again.

The girlfriend swept up the offending dogshit and dumped it over the wall onto their nice clean patio. I could not understand what was said but the dog has been kept under control ever since and that was about six weeks ago.

The neighbours have not spoken to me since :ph34r:

Well done, girl :D

Maybe that darn rat sized dog will have a dump on my patio again now I have written about it :(

My Thai girlfriend snapped before I did.

Next doors dog kept getting onto my patio and shitting on it. Said dog is about the size of a rat / cat. We had asked several times for them to control their dog but to no avail. I even wired the bottom of the gate to stop the little sh*t getting in yet it still got through. Maybe when we went out to the shops or to take her to work and we never locked the gate. When we got back the neighbours dog had had a dump on the patio yet again.

The girlfriend swept up the offending dogshit and dumped it over the wall onto their nice clean patio. I could not understand what was said but the dog has been kept under control ever since and that was about six weeks ago.

The neighbours have not spoken to me since :ph34r:

Well done, girl :D

Maybe that darn rat sized dog will have a dump on my patio again now I have written about it :(

Need to send the mrs round for lessons in self restraint.

Mine shoved the dogshit into the pricks letter box, on another occasion she waited until dog owner was sat at the local sorry shop with his friends, she then handed him a plastic bag and said his dog had left it at her house, most amusing.

Like you the neighbours havent spoken to us since, I consider it a bonus.

Not just farangs. A few years back observed a Thai beauty completely lose it in the Amphur after being refused something. Went out into the corridor and stamped her feet and bawled like a 6 year old much to the amusement of everyone in the waiting area.

ph34r.gif

Easily solved, walk out, pay when they run out to catch you (or don't)

Or get those prescriptions filled when the ambulance brings you to the hospital. ;)

like farangs from Africa and Arab countries?

they actually call persians, 'kag kaow' or white indians....lol

The worst I saw here was in the US Embassy in BKK. There was a gentlemen in his late 60's in tears yelling at the top of his lungs. He was upset that they wouldn't let his teen age wife (, a sterio typicaly Issan looking girl in a skirt that was maybe 4 - 6 inches long, and a hot pink tube top) Get a visa to go to the States with him. "I fought 2 tours in Vietnam for my country and this is how you treat me!??! You want to take everything I have from me? You want to deny me the only person that makes me happy in life!!! I hate you bastards!!" He ranted, turning various shades of pink with tears running down that the PM would have been proud of.

So someone who is from the east end of London and happens to be jewish is not a farang ?:blink:

Got a feeling this will be TV debate number 349821 on what "farang" really means....just waiting for Sin Sot and you just dont understand Thai culture to be thrown into the mix

On the bright side, we've managed to wrap it up with the anti-semitism thread as well. We should pay twice as much for that; now we've got the dual pricing thread in as well.

SC

On the bright side, we've managed to wrap it up with the anti-semitism thread as well. We should pay twice as much for that; now we've got the dual pricing thread in as well.

SC

I don't quite pick up an anti-semetic tone in that post, however the worst explosion I witnessed was a Jewish gentleman who lost it uncontrollably because the lift in our hotel was under maintenance. The man had a right to complain and a right to be not happy however I started to fear for his health, he was like a mad man unrestrained.

The poor girls in reception ended up in floods of tears after an assault that lasted fully 20 minutes. I don't know what floor the gentleman was staying on however the hotel only has 8, so at worst it was the 8th floor.

It was easily the worst explosion of temper that I've ever seen that didn't turn violent.

The worst I saw here was in the US Embassy in BKK. There was a gentlemen in his late 60's in tears yelling at the top of his lungs. He was upset that they wouldn't let his teen age wife (, a sterio typicaly Issan looking girl in a skirt that was maybe 4 - 6 inches long, and a hot pink tube top) Get a visa to go to the States with him. "I fought 2 tours in Vietnam for my country and this is how you treat me!??! You want to take everything I have from me? You want to deny me the only person that makes me happy in life!!! I hate you bastards!!" He ranted, turning various shades of pink with tears running down that the PM would have been proud of.

If he really fought for his country, IMO he had a point. :ermm:

What's amusing are the instances of folks blowing up at waitstaff and sometimes yelling out to the cook in the back kitchen BEFORE their food is served. Have seen way to many disgusting things happen in the kitchen in restaurants to ever be abusive towards these folks. Now hardware stores are another issue entirely... I've gotten loud a few times in my younger days when I first got here and thought I owned the place. I'd even sometimes do a dual Thai and English soundtrack. I've cooled down since though, life's too good and it's not worth developing cancer cells over insignificant people and their quirks.

:)

Edited by Heng

I can't agree with that, there are millions upon millions of ex-servicemen. Getting teenage brides into the US was never a implied retirement benefit.

Please note, I said retirement benefit. In my experience working alongside the US military it wasn't that difficult to do if you were a serving member.

Edited by theblether

I can't agree with that, there are millions upon millions of ex-servicemen. Getting teenage brides into the US was never a implied retirement benefit.

Please note, I said retirement benefit. In my experience working alongside the US military it wasn't that difficult to do if you were a serving member.

Do you guys not get the '72 virgins' offer, then?

SC

Not sure about McD's but actually I do think Thai staff at a place like Starbucks in a tourist area should speak basic customer English around the topic of coffee orders.

Next ...

That works only if the customers can speak, and pronounce with a standard accent, basic customer English--as this one couldn't. Scottish Gaelic certainly won't cut it, not to mention various dialects such as Brummie or Geordie commonly heard in Thailand.

I never have any problems; you?

Edited by JSixpack