Things To Do In Pattaya:

jehricaholic

Are there any hidden places in Pattaya of interest to Farangs where you can regularily spend some free day (or night) time. There seems to nothing of an arts scene. No Libraries. Some Coffee shops yes. Are there any expats out there who do not spend their days at the beach and their nights at the bars?

There are lots of arts, including art shops and some small galleries. Also a drama group. Several libraries, some with books in English.

There are many scenic come artistic endeavours such as Sanctuary of Truth, Buddha Mountain, and Nang Nooch gardens.

If you read Pattaya Forum on a regular basis, you will notice that threads about food and restaurants, are two a penny --- so culinary matters are high on the agenda.

There are lots of arts, including art shops and some small galleries. Also a drama group. Several libraries, some with books in English.

There are many scenic come artistic endeavours such as Sanctuary of Truth, Buddha Mountain, and Nang Nooch gardens.

If you read Pattaya Forum on a regular basis, you will notice that threads about food and restaurants, are two a penny --- so culinary matters are high on the agenda.

Where are these libraries?

Sanctuary of Truth is just a tourist wallet waster @ 600Baht per person. 99% of Thais cannot afford this rip-off.

I once, a few years back, went to a magnificent gardens not far from Pattaya.

We went by Tuk-Tuk and the driver waited half the day and then took us back.

There was a (private) trip around the awesome gardens followed by a magnificent show of traditional Thai "swordplay" and then an elephant show (footballing etc.)

There was a restaurant and bar too.

I would love to go again, but cannot remember the name of the place.

Some on here will know it and it is worth a day out for sure.

Edited by Beechboy

Floating market - its not real as its not on a river...but a few good spots to sit and eat food and have a coffee.

A quiet spot is the Village Shopping centre on Sukh at the junction of Chayapreuk - Creperie for real crepes and a Latte. Nice grounds at the back to sit and relax by the ponds.

The Chinese Wat as already mentioned - buy some fish and turtles and release them for good luck.

Silver lake Vineyard is worth a look.

Take a trip down to Satahip and do some fishing on the wooden pier. Walk round the big lake

Take a long walk round the Observatory hill near the Big Buddha and check out the flowers/trees and bird life.

Go round the jogging track below the Buddha. You do not have to run - just enjoy the view, trees flowers. Look out for black squirrels.

Walk the length of Jomtien beach and do some people watching.

Most of the above costs you nothing....

I don't advocate Nong Nooch as it has a pathetic Zoo section with Orangs, a Toothless Gibbon, and the Leopard and Tigers have been de-clawed. Cruel, exploitation and they charge foreigners way over the odds to get in compared to Thais.

Edited by lonewolf99

Sanctuary of Truth is just a tourist wallet waster @ 600Baht per person. 99% of Thais cannot afford this rip-off.

Taking Soi 7 off Theprassit Road and traveling about 1 km, you need to take a right turn near the end. You enter a large park with numerous sporting facilities, including tennis, badminton , volleyball, basketball etc. There are 2 large buildings at the end ---- one is a library, and the other an indoor sports facility.

I assume the people in the library, will be able to tell you where the other libraries are located.

I read about the North Star Library, they have English (and other) books and need volunteers, maybe that would be good for you. Phone # is 038-716-755. Also I like walking, biking, the gym.

I'll check it out thanks.

I haven't seen anyone on a bike west of Sukhumvit that didn't have a deathwish,

The gym is a good time-killer.

Taking Soi 7 off Theprassit Road and traveling about 1 km, you need to take a right turn near the end. You enter a large park with numerous sporting facilities, including tennis, badminton , volleyball, basketball etc. There are 2 large buildings at the end ---- one is a library, and the other an indoor sports facility.

I assume the people in the library, will be able to tell you where the other libraries are located.

Sounds like an interesting place, thanks!

Floating market - its not real as its not on a river...but a few good spots to sit and eat food and have a coffee.

A quiet spot is the Village Shopping centre on Sukh at the junction of Chayapreuk - Creperie for real crepes and a Latte. Nice grounds at the back to sit and relax by the ponds.

The Chinese Wat as already mentioned - buy some fish and turtles and release them for good luck.

Take a trip down to Satahip and do some fishing on the wooden pier. Walk round the big lake

Take a long walk round the Observatory hill near the Big Buddha and check out the flowers/trees and bird life.

Go round the jogging track below the Buddha. You do not have to run - just enjoy the view, trees flowers. Look out for black squirrels.

I don't advocate Nong Nooch as it has a pathetic Zoo section with Orangs, a Toothless Gibbon, and the Leopard and Tigers have been de-clawed. Cruel, exploitation and they charge foreigners way over the odds to get in compared to Thais.

Been once to the floating market, will check it out again. The creperie sounds nice as well. Too bad they are fairly far from the city center

I'll check it out thanks.

I haven't seen anyone on a bike west of Sukhumvit that didn't have a deathwish,

The gym is a good time-killer.

The gym doesn't take so much time, but I find it lifts my mood and gets my energy level up for the day. That and B-complex vitamins.

Thats a lot of walking in the heat. Go to Koh Lahn the first island off Pataya but make sure you take the ferry to the non tourist side or the side facing Pattaya. There you can hire a scooter for 2OObht and spend the day riding around the island which is a national park.

Thats a lot of walking in the heat. Go to Koh Lahn the first island off Pataya but make sure you take the ferry to the non tourist side or the side facing Pattaya. There you can hire a scooter for 2OObht and spend the day riding around the island which is a national park.

Another good option thanks... you cannot bring your own motorbike on the ferry?

yes you can its cost a bit more, 50 bht as opposed to 20bht I think

http://kohlarn.com/

Don't think the Thais pay 600 Baht. :rolleyes:

You can take you own motorbike on the ferry to Koh Lahn! It's an extra fee. They carry it on and off the ferry.

Edited by BB1950

Don't think the Thais pay 600 Baht. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. A few years ago I sent my Thai GF in ahead of me, so they didn't know she was with me, and she had to pay same as me. 500 bht back then, but I'd happily pay 600 to see it again- absolutely awsome!

No one seems to have mentioned Mini Siam, which is pretty good, and the Bottle Museum is worth a look.

Nong Nooch is definitely worth a day- 1/2 day tour way too short. No need to visit the zoo at all.

Take a picnic to the beach at the south end of Naklua to enjoy the sunset. It's usually virtually deserted at that time.

Where is Mini Siam and the bottle Museum ?

Mini Siam is across Sukhumvit Road and a bit north of North Rd, Look for the Macdonalds

The Bottle Museum is across Sukhumvit and a bit south of Central Rd. Not far past the bus station if I remember correctly.

the bottle museum is now a car spraying/repair shop

fascinating though.......

Edited by timekeeper

Mini Siam is across Sukhumvit Road and a bit north of North Rd, Look for the Macdonalds

The Bottle Museum is across Sukhumvit and a bit south of Central Rd. Not far past the bus station if I remember correctly.

I thought the Bottle Art Museum had been moved to a new location more or less opposite the Mini Siam/McDonalds?

I thought the Bottle Art Museum had been moved to a new location more or less opposite the Mini Siam/McDonalds?

My apologies. It's been many years since I visited it.

I had no luck finding this library, but 1km is nowhere near the end of this Soi which goes forever

Saw quite a few chess boards in use down in Jomtien. Presumably manned by Russians by the look of things. Northstar library is small and up off of Sukhumvit near the Mosque. The Mosque spires are pretty easy to find.

Go to a decent pool and exercise at least every other day. Many hotels will let you rent for the day, 60, 100 baht etc.

Bus back and forth to Bangkok is pretty cheap and is AC. Good for a once a week excursion up to the big city. BTS skytrain around Bangkok is about as easy as one could expect. AC and no traffic. Nice views from the elevated monorail. I know you asked about Pattaya, but if retired in a foreign country, I would think some exploration of the country is in order, not just the little city.

Daily foot massage. Sorry, but this is heaven and just is not that readily available in the USA. Can't walk around the corner and get one, and certainly not for 200 baht or less an hour.

Write a book. Create a website.

Saw quite a few chess boards in use down in Jomtien. Presumably manned by Russians by the look of things. Northstar library is small and up off of Sukhumvit near the Mosque. The Mosque spires are pretty easy to find.

Go to a decent pool and exercise at least every other day. Many hotels will let you rent for the day, 60, 100 baht etc.

Bus back and forth to Bangkok is pretty cheap and is AC. Good for a once a week excursion up to the big city. BTS skytrain around Bangkok is about as easy as one could expect. AC and no traffic. Nice views from the elevated monorail. I know you asked about Pattaya, but if retired in a foreign country, I would think some exploration of the country is in order, not just the little city.

Daily foot massage. Sorry, but this is heaven and just is not that readily available in the USA. Can't walk around the corner and get one, and certainly not for 200 baht or less an hour.

Write a book. Create a website.

you could take the train to Bangkok

its an interesting journey and cheap........