Bangkok Floods Could Go Into Next Year: Thai PM

webfact

Bangkok floods could go into next year: Thai PM

BANGKOK, November 15, 2011 (AFP) - Parts of Bangkok could still be flooded next year, Thailand's prime minister said on Tuesday, despite waters receding significantly in some areas of the city after weeks of inundation.

Thailand's worst floods in half a century, caused by months of unusually heavy monsoon rains, have left at least 562 people dead and damaged millions of homes and livelihoods around the country.

In an effort to spare Bangkok's economic and political heartland, authorities have been trying to drain the floods through waterways in the east and west of the sprawling capital of 12 million people, and out to sea.

But while Bangkok's centre has remained dry, it could be a number of weeks before the entire capital is free from the floodwaters, according to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"Personally I want to see people happy in the new year, but I am not confident about western areas, where it is difficult to drain water," she told reporters, when asked whether the floods would go on into 2012.

She said that eastern areas were likely to be dry before the new year.

"The general situation is stable as floodwaters drain into the sea, but how quickly it drains depends on the contours of each area," Yingluck added.

On Monday, angry residents in the city's flooded west protested by briefly blocking a major highway, as frustration mounted that parts of the Thai capital are suffering badly while the centre stays dry.

Around 70 people also gathered at a major floodwall in northern Don Mueang district, watched by about 30 police officers, to stop authorities repairing a gap they had opened to allow water to drain away from badly flooded areas.

A spokesman for the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC), the government agency charged with dealing with the floods, said a compromise had been struck to partially repair the eight-metre (26-foot) breach.

Yingluck, who only came to power in August and has come under intense pressure over her management of the flood crisis, insisted again on Tuesday that she had worked "with good intention and to the best of her ability".

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, due to visit the flood-hit kingdom on Wednesday, will offer a "very substantial" aid package to Thailand, the State Department has said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-15

some areas will be affected for longer than that.

plus the next high tide with it's peak in November 26th will be another test.

For the time being it looks good in many areas in Bkk. But that could change with a top up. Keep your fingers crossed.

can anyone explain the huge 250 miles (400 Km) of water that is sitting above Bangkok (on the Google Flood Map):

Click here for the Google Flood Map:

(its a bit slow to load)

or is the Google Flood Map of Thailand not correct?

do you know if they actually DELETE the water that has receded?

from looking at the Google Flood map (link above) it still looks like this flooding is nowhere near over. it looks like its just about to start!!

- so, please can somebody shed some light on this.

Edited by easybullet3

Secretary of state, Hilary Clinton will visit Rajamangala stadium and it's evacuation center. Good choice!

Hope she will look also at the animal shelter and makeshift hospital.

Let me say a few words about the area.

If this area, (Ramkhamhaeng Uni, Stadium, Bangkapi (including Soi Mahatai) would have been flooded, we'd see waters up to three meters and more in some places. Some buildings would have completely submerged.

Thanks to the Governor, the army and the tireless efforts of big (often anonymous) spenders, patrons, the Red Cross and countless volunteers we haven't seen it, which otherwise would have been a humanitarian disaster like never before. jap.gif

Secretary of state, Hilary Clinton will visit Rajamangala stadium and it's evacuation center. Good choice!

If this area, (Ramkhamhaeng Uni, Stadium, Bangkapi (including Soi Mahatai) would have been flooded, we'd see waters up to three meters and more in some places. Some buildings would have completely submerged.

Thanks to the Governor, the army and the tireless efforts of big (often anonymous) spenders, patrons, the Red Cross and countless volunteers we haven't seen it, which otherwise would have been a humanitarian disaster like never before. jap.gif

I pray you stay dry!! jap.gif

simple mind listened to her 'Bangkok will not be flooded' :realangry:

then shae said 'the flood will last for 4 to 6 weeks' :ermm:

and today 'flood could go into next year' :bah:

my house is in the water and I am an evacuee already for 3 weeks :angry:

certainly her calendar has a different system !

can anyone explain the huge 250 miles (400 Km) of water that is sitting above Bangkok (on the Google Flood Map):

(its a bit slow to load)

from looking at the Google Flood map (link above) it still looks like this flooding is nowhere near over. it looks like its just about to start!!

- so, please can somebody shed some light on this.

When the ground(like a sponge) is saturated, the new big tide on 26 will be something to fear. Hard to see into the ground. When they can manage to reduce the invisible saturation as well then it should be over after that.

From my observation there's a 40-60% chance of not getting affected again. There are still a few days left to clear up the canals which also will take out water from the covered underground. It's a race against time now. Areas where the Canals are still overflowing could become very critical.

1321347397[/url]' post='4848540']

Is this announcement not a slight U-turn, on PM Yingluck's many promises over the past several weeks, that it would only take a few days more, for the waters to clear ? :whistling:

So many U turns I'm dizzy. My area was promised to be dry within 7 days of completion of the big bag barrier, needless to say the water level is still very high and we are 2 days short of being flooded for a month. They must have meant dry of beer -)

Is this announcement not a slight U-turn, on PM Yingluck's many promises over the past several weeks, that it would only take a few days more, for the waters to clear ? :whistling:

It's been 30 days of flooding since the Agriculture Minister made his infamous "the worst is apparently over" for Bangkok.

And likewise for the Prime Minister's line, we're nearly through it:

Questions linger as Thai floodwaters recede

Government continues to face anger over which communities were flooded and which were spared, especially around Bangkok.

Floodwaters are finally receding in Thailand, but the government continues to face questions over which communities were spared and which were flooded.

The centre of Bangkok has remained largely dry, thanks to a vast network of sandbags and pumping stations. But those defences have saturated surrounding areas under metres of water, and Yingluck Shinawatra, Thailand's prime minister, admitted on Monday that parts of the capital could still be flooded next year.

Continues:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2011/11/2011111583639139579.html

Al Jazeera - Nov. 15, 2011

""Personally I want to see people happy in the new year, but I am not confident about western areas, where it is difficult to drain water," she told reporters, when asked whether the floods would go on into 2012."

It is really simple you stupid woman. Stop pumping the water into Maha Sawat and give us some relief. But that will never happen as you have to save your precious central BKK from 10 to 20 cms of water. There are a lot of people here who are getting seriously pissed off. I can see violence erupting on a massive scale. This government/FROC has to go.

Bangkok flooding passes critical point: PM

image_20111115173030A6C729FD-DC90-8C28-3FDC725532942F11.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 15 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday reassured the Bangkok public that flooding in the capital has already passed its critical point and that floodwater in eastern part of the city should be totally drained into the sea before the year end.

The premier said the level of floodwater in Bangkok has continuously declined and, regarding the overall situation, the crisis has already peaked.

Ms Yingluck reasoned that drainage in east works efficiently and that she expects the situation to return to normal by the end of the year. But for western Bangkok, it still depends on repair work of the damaged temporary dykes along the Chao Phraya River, expected to be completed in the next few days. She conceded that some areas will remain under water but that she has instructed concerned agencies to speed up dredging canals so that they can drain as much water as possible during low tide.

Regarding the gap in the giant sandbag barrier, the ‘Big Bag Barrier’, which was widened and adjusted to a 10-metre spillway on Tuesday, the prime minister said its opening will minimise the impact on local residents and facilitate travel by boat. However, the amount of inflowing water must be limited to a volume that can be handled and drained out.

Echoing the prime minister, FROC spokesman Tongthong Chantarangsu said that the spillway will not cause a large amount of water inflow deeper into Bangkok but higher floodwater will be seen only in some areas such as Lak Si.

FROC will closely monitor the situation and speed up draining water.

‘Big Bags’, oversized sandbags, were used to build a barrier to slow the northern run-off into Bangkok to allow the authorities to drain the water out and to save Bangkok's inner areas, but some residents living outside the barrier-protected area angrily dismantled six metres of the embankment. It was later adjusted and described as a spillway on Tuesday.

The action was seen as a compromise by the authorities to help those residents. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-15

Trading 'position papers' with the Bkk Gov. it seems.

Now:

He's said Bangkok will be dry for New Years.

She says not so lucky, it will last into next year.

Before:

She said it's almost over,

he said it's a LOOONG way to go.

He was right before, but as elcent says

some places maybe MUCH harder to drain.

But the change of juxtaposition is droll, and maybe shows she has learned better how to deal with some of the PR learning curve.

Edited by animatic

(its a bit slow to load)

Here are some other maps to compare with:

BMA's flood map

thaikamala's flood map

http://www.gamling.org

Bangkok Flood Map for Tourists

ESRI flood map

Google crisis response map

GISTDA's flood map

I think there is still a lot of water north of Bangkok but it's somewhat stagnant or slow-moving so it doesn't pose a big threat to inner Bangkok. So those who are flooded outside of inner Bangkok may still be stuck with the water for a while!

Here's a flood animation from 2011-10-03 to 2011-11-08:

20111108-flood-animation-0308.gif

I pray you stay dry!! jap.gif

don't think praying will help ( 'cos I suppose HE caused it!!) - try sandbags!

They say the states is going to offer a aid package. Wonder if it will get the same treatment as the Dutch.

I think she might have no choice but to accept it. She obviously is not the sharpest tool in the shed but surely she is not dumb enough to turn the states down. I could be wrong. I hope not.

What would happen if they tore all the barriers down would it drain the water faster. 20 centimeters in down town Bangkok is not that big a deal.

""Personally I want to see people happy in the new year, but I am not confident about western areas, where it is difficult to drain water," she told reporters, when asked whether the floods would go on into 2012."

It is really simple you stupid woman. Stop pumping the water into Maha Sawat and give us some relief. But that will never happen as you have to save your precious central BKK from 10 to 20 cms of water. There are a lot of people here who are getting seriously pissed off. I can see violence erupting on a massive scale. This government/FROC has to go.

Don't agree with this post.Are you Thai or even a thai citizen ?It's their country not yours so maybe just maybe you are the one that has to go.If you could or can do any better then go and offer your services and or advice

This is a new government and i am sure the old regeime wouldn't have done thing's any better.The blame game will get you nowhere.Mother nature was the culprit here and previous administrations for not heeding previous warnings that this flooding could and did occur.So no need to place the blame on the three month old government. Finally,remember you and i are only guests here in this counrty and if we don't like the way thing's are we can leave.

Actually, it's hard to imagine that ANY government could have done a more inept, bungling, corrupt job of dealing with the flooding than the current one...

And as for mother nature being the "culprit," that's certainly part of it. But a variety of government actions and inactions, both by the current government and prior ones, also have contributed to the extent of the current disaster.

It's a convenient political excuse to blame "mother nature." But let's also give due credit to the government's decisions this year on water retention in the major dams, loss of watershed areas due to ill-planned development and illegal logging, corrupt development approval processes that allowed a variety of building projects to block and be built in waterways, and other man-made factors.

How effective has the current government been? Just about as effective as Minister Plodprasob's hair-brained project to have boats spin their propellers in the Chao Phraya River. That tells you all you need to know about the caliber of the current government folks running the flood show.

To the Honorable Hillary R. Clinton

Secretary of State, United States

Welcome to Thailand. There goes my hard earned and paid taxes! Secretary Clinton, please be a judicious bean counter on this. Assure that the State Department knows where and how every penny gets utilized by real Thai people for flood aid. Please find a way to circumvent the Thai bureaucrats and their known and extensive corrupt practices of channeling money to themselves and lining the pockets of various elite business class and government privileged players and not the real people in need. The State Department already has a bloated budget with lots of staff in lots of embassies around the world. We have dire needs for public investment at home as you know, where upwards of 40% of American families now meet the government's threshold definition of poverty. I am not happy that you will be funding Thailand, a country who has stolen and pirated intellectual property, software, and music from people like me and my colleagues for years despite claims and pleas, and now you, my government, is handing over a "substantial aid" package.

Welcome to Thailand. There goes my hard earned and paid taxes! Secretary Clinton, please be a judicious bean counter on this. Assure that the State Department knows where and how every penny gets utilized by real Thai people for flood aid. Please find a way to circumvent the Thai bureaucrats and their known and extensive corrupt practices of channeling money to themselves and lining the pockets of various elite business class and government privileged players and not the real people in need. The State Department already has a bloated budget with lots of staff in lots of embassies around the world. We have dire needs for public investment at home as you know, where upwards of 40% of American families now meet the government's threshold definition of poverty. I am not happy that you will be funding Thailand, a country who has stolen and pirated intellectual property, software, and music from people like me and my colleagues for years despite claims and pleas, and now you, my government, is handing over a "substantial aid" package.

P.S. Please follow the example of Canada, Chile, and New Zealand who all made their donated financial assistance directly to the Thai Red Cross, and not to the government, for the dispersal of foreign aid.

P.S. Please follow the example of Canada, Chile, and New Zealand who all made their donated financial assistance directly to the Thai Red Cross, and not to the government, for the dispersal of foreign aid.

Good point!!