Thai Opposition To Impeach Ministers, Mps For Flood Mismanagement.

Lite Beer

Thai opposition to impeach ministers, MPs for flood mismanagement.

image_20111115190912A72187D4-F432-A469-6FAB6A033815CB47.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 15 – Thailand’s Democrat Party led-opposition prepared to launch an impeachment process against several ministers and members of parliament for mismanagement in handling the country’s flood crisis, with the names of those targeted to be disclosed later this week, according to the opposition's chief whip Jurin Laksanawisit.

He said the opposition parties were collecting information on the alleged malpractice of the ministers and MPs including Justice Minister Pracha Promnog, who is also director of the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC), who will be held accountable for alleged corruption in flood relief package procurement.

Minister of Information and Communication Technology Anudith Nakornthap may be included in the list as he allegedly channeled flood relief donations to his ministry, Mr Jurin said.

However, the whip said the opposition could not yet specify who would be targeted in the impeachment motion as the task of collecting information was not yet complete, but it would become clear after a meeting of opposition whips later this week.

Mr Jurin said the impeachment push must be done as soon as possible as the House of Representatives has only two sessions left before the ordinary session ends.

The impeachment process could lead to a no confidence motion against the government. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-15

Well, if they go through with this and the ministers get impeached, which is doubtful, then the Dems prediction there could be riots might just come through. Self-fulfilling and all that.

It is ironic that KIttirat denied any mismanagement at the APEC summit. I am sure some will get wind of this at the APEC meet and start asking some difficult questions.

On the other hand, it seems that the very people who voted in this government are the ones suffering most.

Interesting to see what will happen.

So they don't know who they can impeach yet, they just know they're definitely going to impeach someone or other. What's the point of a statement like that, I wonder?

What happened to not politicizing the flooding?

This constant tactic by opposition parties of whatever persuasion to try and unseat people in the ruling party by doing anything other than clearly communicating misdeeds to the electorate and winning public discussions is a constant thorn in the side of this nation's democratic system. Such that it is.

No doubt any 'impeachment' process will inevitably get bogged down in red-tape and legal minutiae without anyone getting fired or gaining an advantage. As usual. The only losers are the electorate, whose representatives have to spend time dealing with this BS instead of getting on with their jobs.

The quality of opposition politics in this country is woeful. And that applies to the previous opposition as well as the present one.

So they don't know who they can impeach yet, they just know they're definitely going to impeach someone or other. What's the point of a statement like that, I wonder?

This constant tactic by opposition parties of whatever persuasion to try and unseat people in the ruling party by doing anything other than clearly communicating misdeeds to the electorate and winning public discussions is a constant thorn in the side of this nation's democratic system. Such that it is.

No doubt any 'impeachment' process will inevitably get bogged down in red-tape and legal minutiae without anyone getting fired or gaining an advantage. As usual. The only losers are the electorate, whose representatives have to spend time dealing with this BS instead of getting on with their jobs.

The quality of opposition politics in this country is woeful. And that applies to the previous opposition as well as the present one.

I am agreement with what you wrote. It's not just the opposition in this case either.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/thaksin-amnesty-plan-shock-report-shakes-thai-social-media-15021/

A lot of behind the scenes stuff going on.

"On the other hand, it seems that the very people who voted in this government are the ones suffering most".

these"very people" need to realize that PTP have no genuine concern for their lives and welfare during floods or any other time

Edited by KKvampire

Its one of the things that makes life in Thailand so fullfilling..!

Obviously, they DO know who they intend to impeach. They just don't want to name names.

Intrigue; veiled threats; suspense; rumours.

Welcome to Thai politics.

"On the other hand, it seems that the very people who voted in this government are the ones suffering most".

these"very people" need to realize that PTP have no genuine concern for their lives and welfare during floods or any other time

You think they will? Nah, they only believe the Red Shirt propaganda.

It's the standard ...

with the names of those targeted to be disclosed later this week,

They just haven't disclosed who they will target yet.

Senator Ruengkrai reports to NACC on Opp leader Abhisit for misconduct in water management, claims water kept in dams too high via Rawangpai/TAN_Network

Who is this Senator that is "politicising" the floods?

I would think that one of the reasons that politicians (and others) go to the courts to get rid of MPs is because "the people" don't take too much notice of the obvious corruption that goes on.

Current opposition uses parliamentary mechanisms, previous opposition used the same plus deadly street rioting.

I think there has been an improvement.

I predicted a long time ago on TV that after the floods more political fighting and bickering would continue and possibly lead to worse demonstrations than last year. One only needs to follow all the day by day happenings to see that coming.

May the best colored shirt win, and heaven help the hard working people of Thailand.

Yes I know. Shame on me for expressing my opinion on TV.

Well their is a lot to what you say but did you ever stop to think that Thailand might be better off if they don't get on with what ever they are supposed to do.

A little tongue in cheek on that but I think there is a lot of truth in it.:)

I predicted a long time ago on TV that after the floods more political fighting and bickering would continue and possibly lead to worse demonstrations than last year. One only needs to follow all the day by day happenings to see that coming.

May the best colored shirt win, and heaven help the hard working people of Thailand.

Yes I know. Shame on me for expressing my opinion on TV.

Unfortunately the color of shirt dosen't matter Thailand is still going to get second rate leadership.

A few weeks ago, when some country gave YL a few million baht cash to help with the crisis I remember thinking:

1. how ****** stupid are they giving her CASH?

2. she WILL be held accountable for that money, sooner or later, and true colours will be revealed to all...just too greedy to resist such an opportunity!

3. Must be like a wet dream for PT (no pun intended, honestly), having countries lining up giving them cash, 'gifts' etc, which they don't have to account for, who's keeping count?! No receipts, in their eyes it must be all tea money!

Needless to say I'm anticipating some humiliating discoveries, how can anyone recover from being found guilty of corruption at such a time of national crisis?

Then again...

On one hand I am very sorry to see all the misery that the Thai people are suffering with now in the floods. But on the other hand, there is a certain dark humor in the fact that the red shirts that voted in Yingluck, who were so happy with their 500 baht and endless promises of wonderful things ahead, are now suffering at the hands of her and the cabinet of buffoons she has appointed. It is a bit like being the captain of a ship. When the water is smooth and the weather great, anyone can drive the ship, even the cabin boy. However when the weather turns stormy, you have lost an engine, and you are heading for the rocks, you will need an expert captain to save the ship.

Had there been no flood, I am sure this government could have sort of bumbled along, biding time until Thaksin's return. But sadly this was not the case, and the flood crisis came up. So the ineptitude started to show through pretty quickly regarding the flood response. So if the Opposition can impeach some ministers, more power to them. I sincerely doubt it will happen, as no one of actual power is ever punished here. But I do respect them for trying......

Obviously, they DO know who they intend to impeach. They just don't want to name names.

Intrigue; veiled threats; suspense; rumours.

Welcome to Thai politics.

They are announcing the intent, and collecting data to see who really can be hung out to dry for this.

They would be foolish to name and name and then not have the paper trail to follow through with. I don't think they believe they can do it this session, but want to let the people know what they believe is violations of the peoples trust.

Personally I think this is better done in Jan or Feb, but the legislative calendar is driving some of this, and likely wanting to nail miscreants before the have time to hide or gin up evidence.

On several fronts there is legitimate reason to believe there has been malfeasances committed. Best to deal with it, rather than let them continue. This also is part of a Shadow Governments job. They are not saying they are trying to bring down the government, but going after specific wrong doers. It will be a circus, it always is here. But you can bet the people will be hanging on every word this time around.

+1 where i live all believe its fault of dems and so brainwashed its amazing not a single thought that Taksin YIngluk etc could do bad even enters air or typical thai face thing its totally pathetic whistling.gif who cares ive given up Our maid and gardener still think sun chines out of Yingluk's and Taksins arse. Wait until it gets so bad we stop paying them 10000 baht a month when others pay 4000 or less and they will believe its fault of dems. I often think just screw them like their heros do but cant do it since they are so poor but it tests patience of a saint allowing them to have their red shirt radio propaganda blaring away when were paying them to listen to this crap. MY wife has said many times just get rid of them and get some decent Burmese workers in for 1/2 cost but so far ive refused but if this lot continue much longer with their Taksin is god thing ill just do that but dont have heart given how much it will hurt their kids etc annoyed.gif

On one hand I am very sorry to see all the misery that the Thai people are suffering with now in the floods. But on the other hand, there is a certain dark humor in the fact that the red shirts that voted in Yingluck, who were so happy with their 500 baht and endless promises of wonderful things ahead, are now suffering at the hands of her and the cabinet of buffoons she has appointed. It is a bit like being the captain of a ship. When the water is smooth and the weather great, anyone can drive the ship, even the cabin boy. However when the weather turns stormy, you have lost an engine, and you are heading for the rocks, you will need an expert captain to save the ship.

Had there been no flood, I am sure this government could have sort of bumbled along, biding time until Thaksin's return. But sadly this was not the case, and the flood crisis came up. So the ineptitude started to show through pretty quickly regarding the flood response. So if the Opposition can impeach some ministers, more power to them. I sincerely doubt it will happen, as no one of actual power is ever punished here. But I do respect them for trying......

The obvious question. Who is the expert in the government you propose to save this ship? LOL, LOL

+1 where i live all believe its fault of dems and so brainwashed its amazing not a single thought that Taksin YIngluk etc could do bad even enters air or typical thai face thing its totally pathetic whistling.gif who cares ive given up Our maid and gardener still think sun chines out of Yingluk's and Taksins arse. Wait until it gets so bad we stop paying them 10000 baht a month when others pay 4000 or less and they will believe its fault of dems. I often think just screw them like their heros do but cant do it since they are so poor but it tests patience of a saint allowing them to have their red shirt radio propaganda blaring away when were paying them to listen to this crap. MY wife has said many times just get rid of them and get some decent Burmese workers in for 1/2 cost but so far ive refused but if this lot continue much longer with their Taksin is god thing ill just do that but dont have heart given how much it will hurt their kids etc annoyed.gif

If you fire them, they will blame the Dem.:whistling:

You are paying your maid and gardener 10grand a month each? :blink: AD they are listening to the RS radio all day? Listen to your wife.

Get rid of them and get some Burmese. You will be way happier, they will be grateful and you can get them working legally.

Forget impeachment. Revive the use the decimation.

Decimation means to reduce by 10% . I think they need to go deeper than than. :jap:

That is the archaic usage.

Usage note

The earliest English sense of decimate is "to select by lot and execute every tenth soldier of (a unit)."

The extended sense" destroy a great number or proportion of" developed in the 19th century : Cholera decimated the urban population.

Because the etymological sense of one-tenth remains to some extent, decimate is not ordinarily used with exact fractions or percentages: Drought has destroyed (not decimated ) nearly 80 percent of the cattle.

Edited by animatic

Well, if they go through with this and the ministers get impeached, which is doubtful, then the Dems prediction there could be riots might just come through. Self-fulfilling and all that.

It is ironic that KIttirat denied any mismanagement at the APEC summit. I am sure some will get wind of this at the APEC meet and start asking some difficult questions.

On the other hand, it seems that the very people who voted in this government are the ones suffering most.

Interesting to see what will happen.

"On the other hand, it seems that the very people who voted in this government are the ones suffering most"

Well I never!!! Who would ever have imagined that happening!!!!!:lol:. Serves them right for being so naive and stupid as far as I'm concerned!!!!:jap:.

After following the numerous stories here and elsewhere on the current flood disaster, it seems to me that that most observers have overlooked a key fact behind this crisis.

The Department for Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has already been in existence since 2002 and, over 9 years, has received a budget of roughly 15.3 billion Baht. This begs the question, for me at least, what have they been doing all this time?

Well, please follow the link and take at look at the presentation - dated 2010 - which provides a interesting summary of the department's organisation, structure and so called activities. Please also remember that the The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act was passed into law in 2007, long before this recent change of government.

http://www.adrc.asia.../nam2011_cr.pdf

I see that the annual budget allocation and the department activities are not substantiated or explained in detail. Training is mentioned, but as to what kind, for who, at what level and under whose auspices doesn't warrant even the briefest detail.

But we do get some concrete information: 50,000 villages at risk from some kind of disaster throughout Thailand, 4000 DDPM staff spread across central, regional, provisional and local offices, and a 24/ 7 disaster emergency operation center in all provinces.

So, rather than only pursue this government for mismagement, shouldn't we also be looking at something more fundamental; the incompetence, irresponsibility and unaccountability of the DDPM civil servants and officials and all governments since 2002.

Edited by arthurboy