Work Permit

My Non B visa is Valid till 15 December 2011.

Today I received my Work Permit and I am confuse about two dates mention on my Work permit. Kindly tell me about it.

Work Period : 1 year

Valid until : 31 March 2012

on the next Page ,

Period at date : 14 November 2011 ( I think this is Issue date of Work Permit)

Valid Until : 15 December 2011 ( I think ,This is my Non B visa date and my Non B visa is Valid till 15 December 2011. )

Next week I am going to get extension of my Non B visa. Now I am confuse about my work permit Validity. My work permit is valid till 31 March 2012 or till 15 December 2011????

The work permit is now issued with validilty until the end of your contract. You now must obtain an extension of stay AFTER you have received your work permit. It used to be the other way around.

Look at your contract. I suspect that will be up to end of March.

You should therefore receive an extension also up to the end of March.

As an example I received my last work permit 2 days before my permission to stay finished. The work permit was issued up to the end of contract. I then went to Immigration and they extended my stay to the same date.

There should be a stamp in your passport that extends your permission to stay in Thailand until the date that your contract expires which most likeley is 31 March 2012. You need to get your work permit renewed and your visa extended prior to that date. If not, you can go in on the expiration date of your visa extension and get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht. If your are married to a Thai you can get a 60 day extension. There's no grace period, your permission to stay in Thailand ends on the day your contract expires.

Edited by wayned

There should be a stamp in your passport that extends your permission to stay in Thailand until the date that your contract expires which most likeley is 31 March 2012. You need to get your work permit renewed and your visa extended prior to that date. If not, you can go in on the expiration date of your visa extension and get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht. If your are married to a Thai you can get a 60 day extension. There's no grace period, your permission to stay in Thailand ends on the day your contract expires.

The OP has already stated that his Non B expires in December. He has his work permit and now needs to go to Immigration before that date. Not the date in March.

The visa is only a document that allows you to enter Thailand for the purpose that the visa was issued. The length of time that the OP can spend in Thailand is quoted on the permision to stay stamp that is stamped in the OP's passport with a date "permission to stay permitteed up to " this date". That is the important date. My last visa was valid until 1 june 2004, but I have permission to stay until 6 November 2012. It's semantics, but the date on the stamp controls when the OP must either extend his permission to stay or leave.

Lopburi correct me if I am wrong.

The OP has already stated that his Non B expires in December. He has his work permit and now needs to go to Immigration before that date. Not the date in March.

Yes to everyone - OP does not appear to have had any extension of stay yet and says "My Non B visa is Valid till 15 December 2011" so suspect that is the permitted to stay stamp he now has - if not he needs to find that stamp (triangle on entry) which is what allows his current stay in Thailand and extend for employment before that date (normally several weeks before). As said work permits are not tied to visa entry anymore and can be much longer than your current permitted to stay.

I think that I understand what you said, I stopped working just when they changed the rules that the visa entry and the work permit didn't have to be tied together. Just for my my information and possibly to help others, I would like you to clarify a couple of things for me.

1. If his visa expies on 15 December and he goes in to extend it, will he still need his employment contract and the letters from the school and ministry of education as in the past?

2. Will they extend his permission to stay to end end of his current work contract, 31 March- expiration of work permit - or extend it for 1 year?

3. If they extend it for 1 year, what happens if at the end of the contract if he decides not to continue working and no longer has a valid work permit.?

4. If number 3 happens is the only control his honoring the statement that he has to sign that he has to report any change in the conditions that the visa extension was issued? ie. shot himself in the foot?

Yes to everyone - OP does not appear to have had any extension of stay yet and says "My Non B visa is Valid till 15 December 2011" so suspect that is the permitted to stay stamp he now has - if not he needs to find that stamp (triangle on entry) which is what allows his current stay in Thailand and extend for employment before that date (normally several weeks before). As said work permits are not tied to visa entry anymore and can be much longer than your current permitted to stay.

1. yes.

2. till end of contract or 1 year, whatever comes sooner of both.

3. The moment he n longer has a job his permission to stay in Thailand ends, (if that is an extension of stay and based on his employement).

4. Yes, plus the fact that if he goes for a new extension/new work permit questions can be asked about his old job and permission to stay.

Your answer to question 2 indicates, to me, that since he has a Non-B visa, when the visa has to be extended it is actually tied to the work permit since he can only extend it until the expiration of the work contract and then have to start the process all over again. The visa extension would expire the same date as his work permit extension. If he was working and had a visa extension for marriage to a Thai then they wouldn't be tied together and the visa would be extended for one year periods irrespective of his work permit/contract. When I started work, I had to cancel my marriage extension and have a new extension entered for work purposes which was tied to the work permit. I think that is really the big change, you can now work on a marriage visa extension.

1. yes.

2. till end of contract or 1 year, whatever comes sooner of both.

3. The moment he n longer has a job his permission to stay in Thailand ends, (if that is an extension of stay and based on his employement).

4. Yes, plus the fact that if he goes for a new extension/new work permit questions can be asked about his old job and permission to stay.

Edited by wayned

The work permit is not connected to the permission to stay (as far as Labour is concerned), but a permission to stay is connected to you being allowed to work (as far as immigration is concerned).

That's not only regarding work permit, but at some immigration offices for example also for having a valid teachers license. Some immigraiton offices will not extend beyond the validity of the ( temporary waiver for a) teaching license even if you have a work eprmit that is valid beyond that date.

Thanks,

Now I remember the temporary teachers liscence bit and the Thai Culture Seminar you had to attend to get one and the fact that they are not transferable from one school to another. The more I ask, the deeper it gets. If you teach and have a marriage visa you don't need the temporary liscense because it's not required for a marriage extension? Glad that I retired.

The work permit is not connected to the permission to stay (as far as Labour is concerned), but a permission to stay is connected to you being allowed to work (as far as immigration is concerned).

That's not only regarding work permit, but at some immigration offices for example also for having a valid teachers license. Some immigraiton offices will not extend beyond the validity of the ( temporary waiver for a) teaching license even if you have a work eprmit that is valid beyond that date.

Edited by wayned

My shiny new WP (just changed job) has 'Period at date' 27/07/2554 and 'Valid Until' 26/07/2555 (on page 7).

'Work Period' and 'Valid Until' on page 5 are blank but there's a stamp just above them (in Thai that I can't read) with hand written numbers 5 and 3.

I wonder if an error has been made, it cannot hurt to return to the Labour Dept. after getting your extension to ensure all is in order.

Note, I'm not a teacher, no idea if that makes a difference.

From what I have read, he entered Thailand on a NON-B the expires on15 December 2011. He signed an employment contract that expires 31 March 2012 and obtained a work permit that expires on the same date. As Mario pointed out, the visa and work permit are no longer tied together so his permission to stay in Thailand expires on 15 December unless he has extended his visa already, which I doubt, and has a stamp in his passport extending his stay until 31 March 2012. If he does not, on 16 December he will be on "overstay" and fined 500 baht per day (20000 baht maximum). He needs to get the paperwork from his employer and go to immigrationn and entend his stay. They will give him until 31 March2012, the expiration date of his work permit.

To OP: If you do not have a stamp in your passport extending your stay until 31 March 2012, get the paperwork from your employer and apply for an extension before 15 December 2011! Otherwise it could get expensive real fast!

RELAX!!! You must have your Visa extended to the end of the Work Permit date within 7 days of Work Permit issue.

are you sure about this ?????????

Edited by wayned

From what I have read, he entered Thailand on a NON-B the expires on15 December 2011. He signed an employment contract that expires 31 March 2012 and obtained a work permit that expires on the same date. As Mario pointed out, the visa and work permit are no longer tied together so his permission to stay in Thailand expires on 15 December unless he has extended his visa already, which I doubt, and has a stamp in his passport extending his stay until 31 March 2012. If he does not, on 16 December he will be on "overstay" and fined 500 baht per day (20000 baht maximum). He needs to get the paperwork from his employer and go to immigrationn and entend his stay. They will give him until 31 March2012, the expiration date of his work permit.

To OP: If you do not have a stamp in your passport extending your stay until 31 March 2012, get the paperwork from your employer and apply for an extension before 15 December 2011! Otherwise it could get expensive real fast!

RELAX!!! You must have your Visa extended to the end of the Work Permit date within 7 days of Work Permit issue.

are you sure about this ?????????

Very accurate information.......... Great post!!

I am still confuse about my question.

Kindly read my question and please answer only this "Do I need to renew my work permit after getting Visa extension"?

Yes - according to the stamp on Page 7 which is the actual WP expiry date - 15 December 2011.

The validity period could help for example if you were going to a nearby country to apply for a new Multiple Entry Non B Visa, as some Thai Consulates look for a minimum validity period in the WP.