Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

Here is an attachment for a youtube video showing the red shirts being paid off.

I will also ask my wife to find the video interview that Thaksin gave in which he addmited in the interview that he weas paying the demonstrators to defy the law and government. The irony is that he is so stupid he didn't even realize he admitted to paying them 300 baht per day on the camera until the someone wispered in his ear piece that he should not have said that. How do we know....becasue there was about 10 seconds of silence while he tried to figure a way out of what he just said.

Thanks. Such a piece of good evident.

I wonder why less than 70 people view the video to date. Just wonder.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well cant be right all the time. Were all the charges dropped including the Terrorism charge as they only seem to want him for Corruption as I have stated earlier, over the land bit. Gets a bit hard to follow all the time, when all the family and relations were in court over the Shincorp business and all their cash confiscated etc. However over time they too wer let off and all the cash returned. So looks like Thaksin will get off as well over time. Lets sit back and see.

The terrorism charge and the other seven arrests warrants are all still valid and pending his return to Thailand. Once that occurs, the prosecution of his crimes can proceed.

Like Nelson Mandala, both men are charged with terrorism and other things.

The English didn't like Oom Paul Kruger either.

Can we now return to the topic of 'Thai cabinet endorses Thaksin amnesty plan' ?

30170070-01.jpg

Government takes dangerous path

A secret Cabinet meeting, shockingly missed by the PM, debates amnesty decree, seen as a ruse to secure a pardon for Thaksin while the country is plunged in battling its worst floods.

Who says the timing was bad? With the Yingluck government's rating threatening to nosedive, will "later" be better than "now"? In other words, if you were the prime minister, being attacked left and right, the most controversial thing you wanted to pull off should probably be done while you still could.

And the floods would make it difficult to mobilise street protests. To add to that, there's a pressing deadline issue as well. His Majesty the King's birthday anniversary is only about three weeks away. It's now or never for Yingluck Shinawatra, or Thaksin Shinawatra to be exact.

What the Thai public know as of now is that there was a closed-door discussion on Tuesday among certain ministers and high-ranking officials. At that meeting, the government pushed for some special clauses for this year's amnesty to mark the King's birthday. Those clauses, which reportedly would qualify people convicted of corruption and drug trade for the amnesty, would mark a break from tradition and certainly would be scrutinised for possible violation of the charter.

What happened on Tuesday was mostly shrouded in mystery. The secret Cabinet meeting was not chaired by Yingluck, who happened to be "stranded" in Sing Buri because the helicopter that had taken her there during the day was allegedly not well-equipped to fly in the dark. Assigned to chair the Cabinet meeting on her behalf was Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who happened to be the government's front man spearheading moves to seek amnesty for those affected by years of political turmoil.

The draft amnesty decree must be vetted by the Council of State, which faces the unenviable task of plugging any legal loophole, especially when it comes to the Constitution that prohibits making the laws for any individual. The Council of State also encounters the challenge of overcoming the highly sticky point about Thaksin never serving a single day of his two-year jail sentence.

"The pardon issue is confidential although I can say the government will not do anything illegally [to rescue Thaksin]," Chalerm said yesterday. He side-stepped a direct question on whether the Cabinet had approved and forwarded the draft decree for royal endorsement. He only said there was no conclusion drawn on the issue.

According to Chalerm, Yingluck did not plan in advance to be absent from the crucial Cabinet meeting, although her presence would have put her on the spot. Chalerm's claims were countered by still-unconfirmed reports that Government House had sought a "two-day" service of a military helicopter for her trip to Sing Buri.

Issuing the amnesty decree would be just clearing the first obstacle. Once the decree is in place, there will be the issue of how to put Thaksin in the scheme. To sum it up, the whole process involves the Justice Minister forming a panel, comprising more than 20 members, to recommend the scope and details of the pardon, the Cabinet finalising the draft, the Council of State vetting any controversial provisions, and last but not least, the government deciding who will be the 26,000 convicts who will benefit.

Chalerm declined to say whether the pardon would be applicable to Thaksin, although he lashed out at an unnamed Cabinet member for leaking the news about the secret meeting to the media. He said he was in no position to speculate on the issue because the granting of pardon was the exercise of royal power.

He said the government would comment on the decree only after the provisions were enacted and enforced. "The decree for pardon is not entirely under the government's jurisdiction and the final outcome might not be in line with what the government said at a time," he said.

Under the Criminal Procedural Code and legal precedents, past cases of pardon applied to convicts serving time in prison. The pro-Thaksin camp has argued there is no law banning the pardon from being extended to those who have been convicted but have eluded punishment. It will be up to the Council of State to make sure controversial provisions wanted by the Cabinet won't embarrass the government or become a legal time bomb later.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok and a number of Cabinet members reportedly said they would await the royal discretion on whether to grant a pardon to Thaksin rather than force the royal decision on the issue. In the draft proposed by Pracha, those eligible for pardon would include convicts aged more than 60 with less than three-year jail term and no prior offence.

The Cabinet decided to delete certain clauses enforced in 2010 in order to extend the pardon to those convicted for drug trade and corruption.

Reports about the upcoming amnesty overshadowed the flood disaster, with opposition MPs, critics and anti-Thaksin elements in the social media in a major uproar. Demcrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the opposition would not condone the hasty and suspicious move to help Thaksin elude the law. He and other opposition MPs warned that letting Thaksin walk free despite his continuous contempt for the Thai justice system that convicted him would set a destructive precedent. "A pardon should only be granted to those who are incarcerated and show remorse," Abhisit said, insisting that the government was about to undermine the rule of law by granting pardon to a convict like Thaksin who refuses to serve time or show remorse.

The opposition will do its utmost to object to the Thaksin pardon, he said, threatening to block every step of the pardon process.

Law lecturer Kaewsun Atibodhi said the government had seriously erred by trying to seek a pardon for Thaksin who is a fugitive. He said he was puzzled why the government would want to pardon convicts on corruption and trafficking, offences deemed Thailand's biggest problems even when Thaksin was PM. Pardon is an issue under the sole jurisdiction of the government, he said, reminding Cabinet members they might face impeachment even though the judicial and legislative powers could not stop them from pardoning Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-17

Well cant be right all the time. Were all the charges dropped including the Terrorism charge as they only seem to want him for Corruption as I have stated earlier, over the land bit. Gets a bit hard to follow all the time, when all the family and relations were in court over the Shincorp business and all their cash confiscated etc. However over time they too wer let off and all the cash returned. So looks like Thaksin will get off as well over time. Lets sit back and see.

The terrorism charge and the other seven arrests warrants are all still valid and pending his return to Thailand. Once that occurs, the prosecution of his crimes can proceed.

The comparison is derisory,and only too apparent!

1. Mandela had/has very high principles and morals,and spent 25 years+ in prison to prove it,

while the other, Thaksin has never gone to Prison for even Theft,but should have,and up to now,has eluded a prison sentence,and has no morals or principles.

So which class of person are the people going to support? IMO it will probably be the later,the worst choice possible.

Again derisory comparison.

Edited by MAJIC

if it's confirmed and the reports are true that the qualifications for amnesty is the person being over 60 and less than a 3 year jail term... it's disgraceful, and there's no possible arguments or excuses that they can make against accusations of its true purpose.

"Whether Yingluck's denial, well recorded by the Thai media, will come back to haunt her remains to be seen. "

"However, it remains to be seen if the media reports are true"

However, if the reports are false, i doubt it will come back to haunt anyone at the nation... if they are false, it's the media that should apologize.

and i really do hope they are false for thailands sake.

a transparently obvious measure like this to bring thaksin back could be the nail in the coffin.

Anyone really truly surprised? That must have been the plan all along.

i'm not surprised at all that they will try to bring him back at some stage, i am however very surprised by the timing and especially the over 60, less than 3y part...

Edited by nurofiend

You have thais, idiots, bigger idiots and then thais who vote for bigger idiots... Really? First you flood bangkok cause you dont listen to your own people who actually have brains to calculate water flow and told you that KLONGS cant take 17x the amount of water you want to send through, and now after KILLING almost 400 people you want to get the biggest criminal back??? And YES you killed them... Its quite a few more than the 95 that got shot during the red shirt protests which is still under investigation.... The bureau will have its hands full with your 400... To get back to the point, can you put him in JAIL first like ANYONE else would have to do? What is so special about him??? He was better at stealing from his own people? Does that grant him immunity? And moderators... I do respect lese majeste so this is not a comment to remove... I havent posted anything for several months but after reading today's post I could no longer be quiet... I love this country, but I see your own people fighting with each other and destroying what you have left of 'paradise'...

Exactly how many people over 60 years old are either still serving a less than 3 year sentence in prison or have not started their less than 3 year sentence???

I would not be surprised if there is only 1 !!!

Guess who ?

1. Mandela had/has very high principles and morals,and spent 25 years+ in prison to prove it,

while the other, Thaksin has never gone to Prison for even Theft,but should have,and up to now,has eluded a prison sentence,and has no morals or principles.

So which class of person are the people going to support? IMO it will probably be the later,the worst choice possible.

IMHO, even insulting to Mandela.

Edited by scorecard

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

I think you are rewriting history. Positive things for Thailand?

The Facebook page opposing the amnesty has exploded with "I am attending"s and presently stands at 26,506 - up from about 16,000 less than three hours ago.

It now stands at 44,829 attending.

Great.

Actually very good.

At 5,300 per hour , in another 6 months there will be enough attendees to win an election................

With a slight majority.

Reckon they can do it ???

The vast majority of people that vote PTP dont have computers. For that matter thay also dont have landline telephones tat many polling agencies use too.... Still the ballot box and paper is a great leveler.

And that's exactly why it's so easy to get brainwashed by Red propaganda without hearing from all sides. The vast majority that you've mentioned are people who have no understanding of world economics, open debates, technology, laws or even the time to care about such things irrelevant to their daily lives. It's very easy to manipulate these people as you've mentioned earlier in another post and then you'd have to ask yourself, are the sheep just being herded? While you applaud Thaksin for getting things done and being able to manipulate people, it's only good if you don't take his morality into consideration.

People often tout that this was an elected government by the Thai people, therefore there should be no question (or opposition) to what it wants to do. Ok, I get your point that it was through a Democratic process but Democracy in the words of Thaksin is "just a tool". The system is there but it depends on who uses it and how strictly they follow the rules without bending them to fit their own needs. Just like how a needle is used to administer vaccines, can also be used to take harmful drugs. Democracy is only good if there's a good moral leader who adheres to the system.

Morality plays a huge role in the governance of a country. **Snip!**. Look at most of the 1st world countries in a Democracy today. There's corruption everywhere! Politicians will find ways to make the system work for them and the more they share their wealth, the more support they will get. Look at America for example... why do they have only two parties; the Democrats and the Republicans? The American people were indoctrinated to believe that they must vote for one or the other. The government have the people addicted to handouts and welfare, the Federal Reserves keeps printing more money to fund these stupid programs while lazy people sit and collect. Ron Paul is probably the best bet the country can have for getting out of it's debt crisis but he most likely won't get the Republican nomination because he's against the current system. Anyway, back to the topic.

Why is this government or any government pushing to pardon ANY convicts? If you do not see the absurdity of such a proposal, you definitely have tunnel vision and a problem. Get off the technicalities for a moment, step back, and question the decisions that the government is making. I for one don't want to see 26,000 ex thieves, wife beaters, rapists or criminals freed any earlier than their sentences, do you? Steveromagnino did really well in summing up what we've seen from the current government so far and no one has challenged the points he made. All the pro-government keeps going back to that this was a democratically elected government and that the Thais want them. I'm going to say that the Red Shirts/Pro PTP are either sheep or ignorant. Sheep in believing the propaganda, the poor excuses that the government (especially the PM) has been giving to the public, treating the people like idiots. Ignorant in that they knew all the BS that government has been up to but continue to support them because they were ELECTED, waiting for the populist schemes to come into fruition.

A ludicrous amount of money planned for the 3Rs without even a clear plan, not including the first car, first house, rice pledge schemes. So many of the Pro-PTP are quick to be against the opposition but if it weren't for the Democrats who would "try" to keep the government from doing whatever they please? Look at Abhisit, he's trying to do things politically in a civilized way, even giving suggestions on what the priorities of the government should be. When he was PM, all the opposition wanted to do was to kick him out. No intelligent debate, no suggestions, just bad mouthing and a street protest that was far from peaceful. So what if he was put in place by the army? I'd rather have the Royal Thai Army to help me in time of crisis than corrupted officials any day. As someone else mentioned, people need to start looking at what happened BEFORE the coup.

As for the amnesty for all the PAD and coup supporters, I (from a moral perspective) think it was okay. Imagine yourself being an insurgent in Libya and you were the one who shot Gaddafi dead. Should you be held accountable for killing the then ruler of the country and if you were going to be held accountable, would you have shot him? The army and PAD thought they had the justification (and evidence) to topple the corrupted government before it can do more harm. Then they even had an election after that. It wasn't like they just stuck someone who they can control in the PM seat did they? However, the sheep were still being herded (bought) and Thaksin's clone won the election.. so we're back at the old drawing board. The Reds didn't even give them Democrats a chance... they just have their own assumptions, indoctrinated in their heads. Anyway, getting long.. got a huge monitor so it doesn't seem too long for me heh.

I'm not supporting or advocating a coup unless there's a GOOD reason to. As subjective as it may sound, you'd have to take the evidence and make a moral judgement instead of being in the herd.

Edited by metisdead
Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

i'm not surprised at all that they will try to bring him back at some stage, i am however very surprised by the timing and especially the over 60, less than 3y part...

Why?

The over 60, less than 3y part is the same as proposed by the last government.... it's the condition of being corrupt that PTP have removed, or didn't you notice that bit in your in depth studies of the subject.

Edited by Thaddeus

You have thais, idiots, bigger idiots and then thais who vote for bigger idiots... Really? First you flood bangkok cause you don't listen to your own people who actually have brains to calculate water flow and told you that KLONGS cant take 17x the amount of water you want to send through, and now after KILLING almost 400 people you want to get the biggest criminal back??? And YES you killed them...

I can emphasize with your frustrations and would add only an updated toll on humanity

Thai Pardon Talk Revolves Around Thaksin

Thailand's government Wednesday said it is discussing the details of a regular pardon for convicted criminals which could enable ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra to return home without going to jail—a potentially destabilizing new development in a country already struggling to cope with the aftermath of its worst-ever floods.

For Mr. Thaksin to be included in an amnesty, though, would be a significant break from the past. Normally fugitives are not included in royal pardons, and Mr. Thaksin has been living in Dubai in recent years to escape imprisonment.

In addition, persons convicted of graft would also have to fall under the terms of the amnesty for Mr. Thaksin to benefit; that wasn't the case in the most recent series of pardons.

Continues:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203699404577041982755604686.html

Wall Street Journal - Nov. 16, 2011

Mandela didn't spent 25 years+ in prison to prove he had/has very high principles and morals.

He just didn't manage to escape.

If he's reading this, Im looking after myself first. "Welcome back Mr. Thaksin" as i think we all knew it was just a matter of time. Like it or Not its going to happen.

P.S Mr Thaksin can you please now buy Chiang Mai Football Club and pump some money into them so they become bigger than Buriram PEA who is owned by your once friend Newin. Thanks.

Mandela conspired to blow up innocent civilians...:blink: high principles/morals ?.... and he didnt spend 27 years in jail to prove a point he was put in prision on terrorism charges and was offered freedom on more than one occasion over that 27 years if he gave up the "armed struggle" via the ANC military wing, which he declined to do and hence the reason he was kept in jail for so long.

"had" in your post ????....he is still alive...:whistling:

Chalerm declined to say whether the pardon would be applicable to Thaksin, although he lashed out at an unnamed Cabinet member for leaking the news about the secret meeting to the media.

I wonder who the Benedict Arnold (in Chalerm's eyes) was in the Cabinet.

:unsure:

Why?

The over 60, less than 3y part is the same as proposed by the last government.... it's the condition of being corrupt that PTP have removed, or didn't you notice that bit in your in depth studies of the subject.

i did notice that part... and who said i studied this in depth? not me.

i don't claim to know it all..... or act like i do *ahem*

why are people getting wound up about the over 60, less than 3 years part of it then? Well ok, so that aspect has no value whatsoever into anyone's critiques of this being 'hand-made' for thaksin? ok then, thanks for clearing that up.. i'll be sure to remember that.

so was the dem's policy of amnesty for politicians on everything, besides corruption? what kind of issues does that leave for amnesty for politicians?

didn't you notice that bit in your in depth studies of the subject.

you seem to be measuring me by what i say eh thaddeus?

Chalerm declined to say whether the pardon would be applicable to Thaksin, although he lashed out at an unnamed Cabinet member for leaking the news about the secret meeting to the media.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. Be very interesting to find out who leaked the info as apparently the only people in the room were those that could be trusted. Perhaps not everyone is as loyal to the godfather as they think

Shocked, not suprised. I think any normal minded person, thinks this is absolutely disgusting, especially at this time.

And there's even some people on here who don't see anything wrong with it. Completely gobsmacked. I must ask them:

If this Government is for the Thai People, not just ONE man, then why have they done this during the floods?

At the start of the campaign they said it wasn't about Thaksin; well they have proved to be liars now - how do you feel supporint blatant liars?

I was willing to give this governemnt the benefit of the doubt, like so many other Thais and farang, but this is just sick.

Well cant be right all the time. Were all the charges dropped including the Terrorism charge as they only seem to want him for Corruption as I have stated earlier, over the land bit. Gets a bit hard to follow all the time, when all the family and relations were in court over the Shincorp business and all their cash confiscated etc.

You cannot start a trial against him in absentia ; as Thaksin fled (after he was sure he had the judiciary under control in the Samak government in 2008, but misread the situation) and has REFUSED to show up in court or return to Thailand since, court proceedings cannot be started against him for the remaining (IIRC) 17 charges of corruption/malfeasance. Regarding terrorism, that falls under the scope of the DSI but I believe was shifted to the RTP; and with a new chief of police (brother in law); it now seems they do not wish to charge him.

The corruption charges have not gone away; so his administration (via his sister) are going to attempt to ammend the constitution so that the body who collected evidence is deemed irrelevant; he will attempt to not face any day in court at all.

He knows, as do almost all affluent connected individuals at this level, that he would be found technically in the wrong vs. the law...so he will manipulate the law to ensure that question is never asked nor evidence shown.

There is still a chance for a civil suit against him brought by individuals, but that is much more difficult to show damages, and would not result in a criminal conviction.

There is no precedent for pardoning a convict who has fled the country, not served any of his sentence and not shown even fake remorse for his crime.

Thaksin will still have to face other cases, including the three digit lottery case, saplings case and the Exim Bank loan for Burma case.

However, the newly compliant judiciary, police and DSI will not press forward with these cases which will eventually be demolished through a plan to make all investigations undertaken by the Assets Examination Committee set up by the coup makers illegal. In addition to Thaksin getting a pardon in the land case, they will have to annul the conviction completely in order to restore his political rights. The most potentially dangerous case was the concealed assets in SC Assets case because it was not investigated by the AEC. However, crushing that case within the DSI was one of the first priorities given to the Samak government and it is unlikely to be revived by the now docile DSI. The final piece de resistance will be the reversal of the Supreme Administrative Court's ruling on the confiscation of Thaksin's assets and the restoration of same plus accrued interest. That should be completed by - let's see - around the middle of next year. Then it will be time for a long list of prosecutions of any one who did anything nasty to Thaksin over the last five years.

EXACTLY.

Prior to Thaksin, has any prisoner at any time ever received a Collective Royal Pardon that did not serve so much as even a single day in detention?

My understanding is no, he would be the first prisoner to show no act of contrition, no remorse and receive no punishment yet be granted leniency. I have a feeling they are deliberately creating a major battle here and drawing a line; the wrong decision further up THIS TIME they will not dance around like they did with Da Torpedo and Jakapop Penkair, they will openly declare war if they have to should the document they desire not be processed in the way they want.

Note that they are saying 'this is the first step in politicial reconcilion'. Red shirts 13 arsonists convicted 20 years (NO LENIENCY). PAD case still pending at the airport; NO LENIENCY.

How is effectively giving one man a free ride political reconciliation?

Regarding mandates from the masses; I would like to do the typical legal case. Let's suppose the former PM killed someone. Should he not be tried because the largest proportion of the voting population like him? No right? So why should he not be tried and face punishment. This is where the 'he's the best of a bad bunch' argument falls down, because even the 'best' should go to jail when they break the law.

Well except Mr Happy Toilet, who got a suspended sentence IIRC after also fleeing the law aided all the way by the erstwhile Chalerm. Same applies to constitutional reform; anyone who thinks this sort of thing should be a Brangelina style fashion contest like the VOICE probably shouldn't be involved in writing it.

Edited by steveromagnino

Isn t Thailand considered a very corrupt country?

The government is here only for 2 reasons.

1. To line their own pockets

2. Bring back Thaksin and get him installed as Prime Minister again.

That means the door is open to an other coup and who knows maybe revolution.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. Be very interesting to find out who leaked the info as apparently the only people in the room were those that could be trusted. Perhaps not everyone is as loyal to the godfather as they think

perhaps it was more "fakes" to go with the other assortments...

The guy/gal must have been a "fake" Cabinet Minister giving up state secrets.

Potential espionage charges given Chalerm's descriptions of the secret meeting?

perhaps it was more "fakes" to go with the other assortments...

The guy/gal must have been a "fake" Cabinet Minister giving up state secrets.

Potential espionage charges given Chalerm's descriptions of the secret meeting?

I wonder if one of the desks had a "Bugged by Julian" sticker on it.