Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To claim ANYONE in Thailand has committed a "crime" is a huge jump of both logic and faith.

Another Red Shirt apologist quote to save for the future.

it's actually quite laughable - I can't remember ever meeting such stupidity in real life...

To claim ANYONE in Thailand has committed a "crime" is a huge jump of both logic and faith.

it's actually quite laughable - I can't remember ever meeting such stupidity in real life...

I don't think public forums is your thing. Perhaps you should start a blog with commenting turned off.

There you can write any inane statements you want and not be called on them. Who knows, maybe you will be as successful as Andrew Spooner.

Pracha rules out Thaksin's pardon

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok insisted Sunday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would not be benefitted from the draft royal decree to seek royal pardons for inmates.

"Thaksin will not receive benefit from the decree and his name will not be included in the list of convicts eligible for royal pardon," Pracha said.

"Convicts on the run will not be eligible."

Pracha told a press conference that the draft decree of 2012 used the same wordings with the royal decree of 2011, which was enacted during the term of Democrat Party's justice minister Piraphan Saliratwipak.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-20

Classic Thaksin tactic.

Float some harebrained notion out there and if there's enough public backlash against it, such as in this case, then back pedal, spin, U-Turn, and obfuscate that he ever said the initial harebrained notion.

If this 100% true, I imagine Isaan will be fuming tonight?

Classic Thaksin tactic.

Float some harebrained notion out there and if there's enough public backlash against it, such as in this case, then back pedal, spin, U-Turn, and obfuscate that he ever said the initial harebrained notion.

If this 100% true, I imagine Isaan will be fuming tonight?

Perhaps they'll demand the Pheu Thai Party resign for reneging on their promise.

Normally that would be so obvious you wouldn't need to say it, or even think it.

Kind of like, death penalty convicts will not be receiving free holidays to the Maldives.

Fully agreed. Obviousness being not so obvious sometimes, eg. not letting someone out on bail after a murder conviction and being sentenced to 25 years in prison.

"Gosh gee, do you think he'll come back for his next court appearance"?

Kamnam Poh didn't.

Classic Thaksin tactic.

It's such a well used tried and tested tactic that I am constantly surprised by the amount of intelligent people who miss it.... the number of dumb ones doesn't surprise me at all.

I don't think public forums is your thing. Perhaps you should start a blog with commenting turned off.

There you can write any inane statements you want and not be called on them. Who knows, maybe you will be as successful as Andrew Spooner.

thank you, i needed a laugh after reading this thread.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Thaksin rejects pardon

Former Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra said he is ready to "sacrifice my personal happiness" as the government prepares an annual royal pardon on the king's birthday on December 5. "I support all measures that will lead to national reconciliation and do not want to see any attempt that will sour the atmosphere," he wrote from Dubai in a letter distributed by his spokesman, Noppadon Pattama. "I will be patient for the sake of the people."

Thaksin has lived overseas since fleeing a 2008 jail sentence for abuse of power, but the election of a government headed by his sister in August has led to speculation of a possible pardon.

Thaksin "won't accept the pardon and he doesn't think the government would do it anyway", Noppadon said.

Read more:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/thaksin-rejects-pardon-20111120-1np9w.html#ixzz1eGU6ZvJp

The Sydney Morning Herald - Nov. 21, 2011

Justice minister rules out Thaksin pardon

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok insisted yesterday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would not benefit from the draft Royal Decree seeking pardons for inmates on the occasion of His Majesty the King's birthday.

"Thaksin will not receive any benefit from the decree, and his name will not be included on the list of convicts eligible for a royal pardon," Pracha said.

Pracha told a press conference that the draft Royal Decree for 2012 used the same wording as the 2011 decree enacted under the Democrat Party's then justice minister Piraphan Saliratwipak.

Pracha said he approved the drafting of the Royal Decree on condition that it is based on the same criteria as the 2011 decree.

"The new draft will not benefit anyone in particular, especially Thaksin, because those who are eligible for a royal pardon must have served [a portion of] their jail terms first," Pracha said.

Pracha added that convicts in corruption cases will not be eligible for a royal pardon.

Thaksin yesterday wrote an open letter to Thais saying he is ready to make a sacrifice, but a yellow-shirt leader noted that Thaksin did not say he would forfeit the right to receive a royal pardon.

Thaksin wrote the open letter amid growing opposition to the draft Royal Decree, which was approved by the Cabinet and was earlier reported to be designed to allow the fugitive ex-premier to receive a royal pardon without him having to serve any part of his sentence.

"I support all measures that will lead to national reconciliation and do not want to see any attempt that will sour the atmosphere, and I am prepared to sacrifice my personal happiness even though I have not received justice during the last five years," Thaksin wrote.

Before Pracha ruled out a pardon for Thaksin, Suriyasai Katasila, a co-ordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), posted messages on his Twitter page drawing attention to the fact that Thaksin did not say he would be among the 26,000 convicts to be pardoned.

Suriyasai predicted that if Thaksin's name was on the list of pardoned convicts, Thaksin would claim it was the result of a government decision and royal power, and had nothing to do with him.

Suriyasai said Thaksin had indicated he would not accept his conviction and jail sentence, and has been manoeuvring against serving it.

The PAD coordinator claimed that while Thaksin had urged all groups to "forgive and forget", he himself was unwilling to let go of his political power and had urged his supporters to hold rallies to fight for him.

After learning of Pracha's press conference, Suriyasai said the PAD had cancelled its plan to hold a rally in front of the Office of the Council of State from 10am to 6pm today.

Meanwhile, General Somjet Boonthanom, an appointed senator and a leader of the Siam Samakkhi group, said he would gather signatures of senators to oppose the decree's enactment. The signatures would be submitted to the Privy Council and His Majesty's principal private secretary.

Somjet said senators in his group would also ask the Senate Speaker tomorrow to initiate an impeachment procedure against the Cabinet, and that his group would hold a rally against the enactment of the decree at Lumpini Park on Friday.

Tul Sitthisomwong, a co-ordinator of the so-called multicoloured group, said yesterday the group would today submit a list of 14,000 signatures to the Privy Council opposing the enactment of a decree to help Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-21

Classic Thaksin tactic.

It's such a well used tried and tested tactic that I am constantly surprised by the amount of intelligent people who miss it.... the number of dumb ones doesn't surprise me at all.

Thaksin=Baron Munchhausen personified :lol:

The idea that thousands of convicted corruption offenders were going to be freed as a cover for Thaksin was hilarious.

And to top it all the responsibility was not going to sit with the government.

Or Yingluck who didn't know about it and Thaksin who denied all responsibility for it.

And Thaksin wasn't going to accept responsibility for his crimes in order to be pardoned. Pardon?

So now the Thaksin apologists will do 3 things. First, question the legitimacy of the court. Second, question whether he broke the law. Thirdly, claim that he has a popular mandate which supersedes all process and evidence. What they will not do is want to go over the evidence. Whichever way you look at it, funnelling monies through family members and employees which was admitted cannot be denied.

Pracha added that convicts in corruption cases will not be eligible for a royal pardon.

Strange that they couldn't have just come out earlier and said that, instead of spinning about how it was the same criteria as the Democrat Party's last year's version.

The backpedaling spins on.

The idea that thousands of convicted corruption offenders were going to be freed as a cover for Thaksin was hilarious.

And to top it all the responsibility was not going to sit with the government.

Or Yingluck who didn't know about it and Thaksin who denied all responsibility for it.

And Thaksin wasn't going to accept responsibility for his crimes in order to be pardoned. Pardon?

So now the Thaksin apologists will do 3 things. First, question the legitimacy of the court. Second, question whether he broke the law. Thirdly, claim that he has a popular mandate which supersedes all process and evidence. What they will not do is want to go over the evidence. Whichever way you look at it, funnelling monies through family members and employees which was admitted cannot be denied.

Forum Rule 15 precludes first option.

The hours-long read decision by the Supreme Court detailing every minutia of the conviction should preempt the second option.

Common sense and logic should prevent the third option.

We shall see.