Royal Enfield

Theboy

Someone has managed it, I saw one on Ekamai a month or two ago, being maintained by a mechanic there.

It was a black Classic 500.

Maybe my Ozzy mate in BKK. I had a ride on it and it sure got everyone looking at it. Although its a modern set-up now, it still sounds like a good 'ol thumper. He has business between India and LOS and organised importation himself (with a little help from friends).

The only thing that didn't impress me was the rear side framework so a lady can sit 'side-saddle'

I was reliably informed by the dealership in Mumbai that the Sari Guard is quite separate from the other components and can be easily removed.

You need to be careful the models sold in India will be probably not meet Thai emission regulations.

EFI on an Enfield is quite funny really. Guess there is no way it would pass the emissions test with a carb though.

More funny is that the Honda made EFI on the Enfield is in a sort AMAL carburetor camouflage package...

Anyway works like a charm and fuel efficiency is really amazing....

Someone has managed it, I saw one on Ekamai a month or two ago, being maintained by a mechanic there.

It was a black Classic 500.

Maybe my Ozzy mate in BKK. I had a ride on it and it sure got everyone looking at it. Although its a modern set-up now, it still sounds like a good 'ol thumper. He has business between India and LOS and organised importation himself (with a little help from friends).

The only thing that didn't impress me was the rear side framework so a lady can sit 'side-saddle'

The sari guard.

haha.

sari guard.

i do not accept any Indian bike without a sari guard.

It might be useful here in Thailand as well for picking up girl friends from university gatebiggrin.png

Edited by loserlazer

The 350 Classic with carb was on the RE stand at the BKK bike show price 230,000 baht, and I was told it met latest emissions standards in Thailand and was road legal here. Don`t forget Tiger still sell carbed bikes so it`s still possible for a carby to pass emissions test.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

Don`t forget Tiger still sell carbed bikes so it`s still possible for a carby to pass emissions test.

Don't forget that Tiger bikes are state-of-the-art products which are engineered with a very special know-how not every other company has. Honda for example doesn't have this knowlegde so they need to build fuel injection bikes wink.png

Don`t forget Tiger still sell carbed bikes so it`s still possible for a carby to pass emissions test.

Don't forget that Tiger bikes are state-of-the-art products which are engineered with a very special know-how not every other company has. Honda for example doesn't have this knowlegde so they need to build fuel injection bikes wink.png

I know you have a history with Tiger, so I'll remember that; but it is quite possible to install carbs and meet emissions standards. Now as to whether those same settings were to seize up your pistons on the way up the mountain is a different story. But a cheap jet change by any competent person sorts that out quickly.

I know you have a history with Tiger, so I'll remember that; but it is quite possible to install carbs and meet emissions standards. Now as to whether those same settings were to seize up your pistons on the way up the mountain is a different story. But a cheap jet change by any competent person sorts that out quickly.

No, you got me wrong. My comment was against FI on small bikes which imho is a nice thing per se but a green washing lie regarding environmental protection. Many people prefer buying a bike wich has FI, because it saves fuel. So on the long run buying a new bike is cheaper than keeping the old one. And the new FI bike protects the environment. So manufacturers say. I doubt all this. They keep on telling us the same lies for cars engines for decades now to sell their products. As you said, a well adjusted carb on a well engineered engine can be as effective as FI. But Tiger bikes are just Tiger bikes. Love them or hate them, but they sure have nothing to do with High Tech or special engineering skills.

My wife thought a Royal Enfield was where the King kept his chickens:-)

..no 'clutches' there

is the above a typo error?.

i hired a royal enfield when i was in india , a taste of nostalgia ,

going back to the days when i had a 250cc continental , those were the days .

i sure would be interested in another enfield .

Edited by elliss

My wife thought a Royal Enfield was where the King kept his chickens:-)

..no 'clutches' there

is the above a typo error?.

i hired a royal enfield when i was in india , a taste of nostalgia ,

going back to the days when i had a 250cc continental , those were the days .

i sure would be interested in another enfield .

No just a play on words

Enfield is being sold in a number of nations, including the U.S. and would not - in its 500cc Fi models - have problems passing emission standards here - just the cost of testing.

But Thailand taxes the shucks out of all bikes bigger than 250cc, and its relations with India are on a one-to one basis, India not being in SE Asia (nor a member of the trade agreement). And we know that even domestically built new bikes over 250cc are heavily taxed. A 350 anything is xpensive, and most 650's cost a heavy ton, Kawa's being cheaper somewhat for being built here.

A distributor in the U.S. asks 207xxx baht, plus shipping in the U.S. for the 500 chrome model, and citizens there must pay an additional state sales tax, depending upon their state, of 0-8% on the bike's price.