Are We Being Ripped Off

gharknes

Just recently I have discovered why I can't taste the Vodka in certain bars when I order a vodka and coke, THEY ARE SERVING FROM 25mL OPTICS, what a <deleted> rip off

Being from Ireland the official measure is 35mL and in some bars I can get for about £1.20 (100baht), cross the pond to mainland UK and it's rip off 25mL, go to Scotland and the story is slightly different as you can get two bar next to each other one serving 25mL and the other 35mL (i know which one i'd be in)

Why are some bars here serving ridiculously small measures for ridiculously high prices, are these bars owned by English nationals, does everyone realise they are being conned, spirits here are only a fraction of the price compared to UK so why are we paying these rip off prices, I AM GOING TO BOYCOTT ANY BARS I FIND THAT ARE SELLING 25mL measures. Is this just out and out greed by bar owners here.

Just recently I have discovered why I can't taste the Vodka in certain bars when I order a vodka and coke, THEY ARE SERVING FROM 25mL OPTICS, what a <deleted> rip off

Being from Ireland the official measure is 35mL  and in some bars I can get for about ฃ1.20 (100baht), cross the pond to mainland UK and it's rip off 25mL, go to Scotland and the story is slightly different as you can get two bar next to each other one serving 25mL and the other 35mL (i know which one i'd be in)

Why are some bars here serving ridiculously small measures for ridiculously high prices, are these bars owned by English nationals, does everyone realise they are being conned, spirits here are only a fraction of the price compared to UK so why are we paying these rip off prices,  I AM GOING TO BOYCOTT ANY BARS I FIND THAT ARE SELLING 25mL measures.  Is this just out and out greed by bar owners here.

Why dont you just buy your own bottle at each of the bars you regularly drink in?

My fave haunts here in Khon Kaen put a label on the bottle and mark the level, date and your name when you leave. Next time you go in that bar all you have to pay for is the mixer's and ice. alternatively carry a bottle around with you (can this be done in Pattaya?) nuff folks up here doing it

:o

Being from Ireland the official measure is 35mL  and in some bars I can get for about £1.20 (100baht), cross the pond to mainland UK and it's rip off 25mL, go to Scotland and the story is slightly different as you can get two bar next to each other one serving 25mL and the other 35mL (i know which one i'd be in)

Why are some bars here serving ridiculously small measures for ridiculously high prices, are these bars owned by English nationals, does everyone realise they are being conned, spirits here are only a fraction of the price compared to UK so why are we paying these rip off prices,  I AM GOING TO BOYCOTT ANY BARS I FIND THAT ARE SELLING 25mL measures.  Is this just out and out greed by bar owners here.

Remember that the cost of imported spirits in Thailand is expensive due to the excise on them. If you think it aint strong enough...order a double

If you think it is too expensive....drink something else that is within your budget :o

britmaveric

I totally agree with you there, in Misty's for example defiantly more booze than mixer TQ 1 is another.

Bigmike.

yes there are some bars that hand pour and you're lucky to get 25mL of coke.

import tax has nothing to do with it, a botle of smirf here is about 550baht (£7) in 7/11, at home this would cost £11

These 25mL bars are taking the piss......and they know it, customers are just paying and don't realise what they're getting..............ripped off

My bottle of Tiger always had the full 330cc!!!!

Am not interested in the hard liquer anyway, to much to handle for me...

Last time I recalled I payed about 4.5 Euro's for a Wodka Orange in the city of Antwerp... Definately a premium over the Thai boozers I normally use to frequent...

And the girls were not even close to being as atractive :o

britmaveric

I totally agree with you there, in Misty's for example defiantly more booze than mixer TQ 1 is another.

Bigmike.

yes there are some bars that hand pour and you're lucky to get 25mL of coke.

import tax has nothing to do with it, a botle of smirf here is about 550baht (£7) in 7/11, at home this would cost £11

These 25mL bars are taking the piss......and they know it, customers are just paying and don't realise what they're getting..............ripped off

Name and shame!!!! :D

Also could ask for the short separate from the mixer - no way to hide a short pour that way. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Some bars will always try to rip off customers unless they know that you are wise to them.

If you think that you are being cheated with the spirit measure, walk up to the bar and watch how they make your drink.

You can see how much vodka goes into the glass, which bottle they are using, do they put the vodka into the glass before the ice and split, or do they put the vodka in last so that you get a hit with your first sip.

Maybe they put in too much ice which melts and dilutes the vodka. Solution: Drink if fast..........or switch to beer. :o

Some bars will always try to rip off customers unless they know that you are wise to them.

If you think that you are being cheated with the spirit measure, walk up to the bar and watch how they make your drink.

You can see how much vodka goes into the glass, which bottle they are using, do they put the vodka into the glass before the ice and split, or do they put the vodka in last so that you get a hit with your first sip.

Maybe they put in too much ice which melts and dilutes the vodka. Solution: Drink if fast..........or switch to beer.  :o

when they pour from an optic or other measuring device there is no argument, my point is that theses measures are tiny.

when they pour from an optic or other measuring device there is no argument, my point is that theses measures are tiny.

Not so true people can tamper with an optic, or the stainless steel cup you all see.

Only on inspection and testing can this be known, a quick glance over the bar would not tell you this.

Have a nice day. :o