!!

Scam? Or Maybe Honest Mistake......

Lannatyne

Filled up at the PTT on Chao Fa West yesterday, and pump guage showed 1200 baht. Girl ran my card through the machine, and gave me a slip to sign showing 1300 baht.

I showed her the pump guage, and she said she was sorry, and gave me 100 baht cash in lieu of card transaction.

Anywhere else, I'd put it down to a genuine mistake, but living here makes you so cynical and suspicious.

So, when buying fuel here, do check you pump readings AND your card slip, just in case they're trying it on.

It`s a well known scam...they put gas in theirs/friends bikes and then add what you want on the counter..

I know that scam, but this may be different - it wasn't on the counter. Pump counter was fine, the girl just billed me 100 baht more when running my card through.

As 007 says, I always get out of the car, too. By the time I tell them what I want, and how much, I'm already watching them like a hawk.

This place is one sad 'society'.

oh dear, the knockers are out again tonight.

I have in almost ten years never had a problem getting my car gassed up. Execept when they filled my petrol car with diesal which was a hassle however they called the garage owner and he showed up within 5 mins and bought me several coffee's until it was fixed and I left with a full tank for free, he was embaressed big style, i think the girl got fired, i was up for shooting her.

I pull in to a station stop the engine, so the fuel flap works, restart the engine for the air, lower the window say 1000/2000 benzine 95 and let them get on with it. Sure I watch the pump and most of the the dumy attendants just tap in the amount on the pump and gets on with cleaning the windshield whilst I make a couple of phone calls.

All done I pay and bugger off with a clear screen and the gas I paid for.Plus sometimes a bottle of water.

I have never been shown a slip! I used to ask for reciepts to put against the company but it always took an age to get so I gave up and just accept petrol as a non usable cost. Lifes too short and the highway awaits.

I do always remember to smile.

These people sit around sniffing petrol fumes all day, they wont be the sharpest tools in the shed. Ive never once been dudded....I dont need to watch them like a hawk either. Petrol goes in Pay cash, check change and leave.

Now its a different story if the machines are calibrated or not, Generally to fill up its the same price each time

These people sit around sniffing petrol fumes all day, they wont be the sharpest tools in the shed. Ive never once been dudded....I dont need to watch them like a hawk either. Petrol goes in Pay cash, check change and leave.

Now its a different story if the machines are calibrated or not, Generally to fill up its the same price each time

You may have touched on a whole new issue here. Who calibrates the pumps? Can they be tampered with to show, for example, 10 litres when in fact you might only get 9 litres?

As for the issue of scamming, the only time a pump attendant has tried to rip me off is when I have asked for say 1,000 Baht's worth but the tank was full at say 950 he still tries to pocket the 1,000 without giving change. Like most posters I too look at how much they key in & ensure the full amount is actually pumped.

It`s a well known scam...they put gas in theirs/friends bikes and then add what you want on the counter..

I know that scam, but this may be different - it wasn't on the counter. Pump counter was fine, the girl just billed me 100 baht more when running my card through.

As 007 says, I always get out of the car, too. By the time I tell them what I want, and how much, I'm already watching them like a hawk.

This place is one sad 'society'.

pansongroi1200, pansamroi1300, could be an honest communication error between pump attendant and cashier, and I fail to see who would gain from scamming you

never happend to me, 9 years and 480.000km, most paid by CC

what occasinally used to happen, well twice in all these years, starting pump at 150-300 baht or so

Since then I always open rear window to make them know I watch the pump

I also always reset one trip meter at fill up, so next fill up I know how many liter I will need

Pumps are calibrated several times a year by Government employees, so no bashing needed. Just like home.

Quality of fuel delivered is another issue, so i stay with large Ptt and Shell pumps

I too was short changed exactly 100B by a female attendant at the same PTT. If the choice is between incompetence or dishonesty...boy, I just don't know. It's a tough call.

They gave me an extra 100 the other day.

Got home checked my wallet and they had given me 100 extra. I should perhaps be ashamed but i didn't go back. Perhaps they try to make the money back by ripping off the guy above???

The station probably take their mistakes out of their wages! sad.gif

After driving close to 400,000 km all over Thailand in the course of 12 years, I was cheated at the gas station only twice, once buying 600 Baht of gas but getting only about 450 (meter rigged, Thai people say they can mix the gas with air), and once getting a mixture of diesel and lamp oil.

Not a bad score as far as I'm concerned, reckon in a country like the US it would have been about the same.

They gave me an extra 100 the other day.

Got home checked my wallet and they had given me 100 extra. I should perhaps be ashamed but i didn't go back. Perhaps they try to make the money back by ripping off the guy above???

The station probably take their mistakes out of their wages! sad.gif

yes they do take from their 250 baht wages

I mostly ride with scooter.

Based on my experience PTT has the most honest attendants and friendliest service.

Sometimes there is this annoying (not PPT, but other stations) "uh, it's 104 baht.. and I don't have the change" incidents.

If I feel that the mistake was intentional, I often ask for receipt for the purchase as it will slow their work down. And wait for the change, however long it would take.

A few months ago I thought the attendant had not switched off the previous scooter's bill as, instead of the expected 110 charge, the pump showed 140 baht for my scooter.

I'm still mortified to remember that I got annoyed and was demanding to speak to the manager!

Obviously, this got me nowhere - but a couple of days later I realised that petrol prices had gone up.... :(.

I do the same as Jimi007 get out and check and pay cash

I think we have all been ripped of at some stage

I wonder how accurate the pumps are here and how often they are checked and sealed

so they cannot be altered

if you gave watched 'a current affair' in oz at any stage...the petrol bouser scam normally comes around every 3 years. Right after the 'shonky builder' the 'dry cleaners stealing money out of your pocket caper' and the 'anti wrinkle cream'. You could probably do a search on ACAs website and u would find its not uncommon in many of the larger petrol stations there. so you can bet your bottom dollar the pumps aren't accurate in Thailand. As for missing out on some change at the PTT. I reckon you could put that down to fumes, sang som, or a combo of both

Edited by snamos

A few months ago I thought the attendant had not switched off the previous scooter's bill as, instead of the expected 110 charge, the pump showed 140 baht for my scooter.

I'm still mortified to remember that I got annoyed and was demanding to speak to the manager!

Obviously, this got me nowhere - but a couple of days later I realised that petrol prices had gone up.... :(.

in any case, fuel pumps are accurate from 4 liters and upwards, the government calibrations are for 5 liter.

so buing 100 baht gets you +/- 10 %