Suse Installation Problem

kelv23

trying to install suse on an external hdd.The first cd gets to the reboot stage (doesnt ask for cd 2) reboots then gives the message

waiting for /dev/sda2 to appear not found exit to /bin/sh

pulling my hair out trying to get this installed anyone help?

trying to install suse on an external hdd.The first cd gets to the reboot stage (doesnt ask for cd 2) reboots then gives the message

waiting for  /dev/sda2 to appear    not found exit to /bin/sh

Great,now Im getting error 22 in GRUB.

I cant get to boot windows now.

How can i get past this?

How can i get past this?

hi'

you tried ti install Linux on an ext drive, it's alright as long as it's the ext drive that is set to boot first and set as active for boot!

so, for Suse, set the bios to boot from cd, when restart to finish install, reset the bios to boot from the ext drive first and there you are.

if you don't do this, Suse will try to boot from cd, if you don't type anything, the bios will go for the next boot drive, hdd0 or floppy or may be this ext drive in last, but leave

it on second boot hdd0 gives you a fatal error because some part of the Linux kernel are still in memory and need to have a following link to complete the install, if it doesn't find it, all fails!

you said error 22 in grub, latest stage before kernel panic!

grub doesn't see the windoz partition!

which one is active? windoz or Linux on the ext drive?

need some more infos :o

francois

How can i get past this?

hi'

you tried ti install Linux on an ext drive, it's alright as long as it's the ext drive that is set to boot first and set as active for boot!

so, for Suse, set the bios to boot from cd, when restart to finish install, reset the bios to boot from the ext drive first and there you are.

if you don't do this, Suse will try to boot from cd, if you don't type anything, the bios will go for the next boot drive, hdd0 or floppy or may be this ext drive in last, but leave

it on second boot hdd0 gives you a fatal error because some part of the Linux kernel are still in memory and need to have a following link to complete the install, if it doesn't find it, all fails!

you said error 22 in grub, latest stage before kernel panic!

grub doesn't see the windoz partition!

which one is active? windoz or Linux on the ext drive?

need some more infos :o

francois

Linux is on the external drive,the boot order is correct.

This is whats happened so far

Trying to install to an external hdd from the 5cd ISO's.

I insert the 1st cd which runs,select "acpi off" goes through the install phase to the point of re-booting.Upon re-boot i get the message

"waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear not found exit to /bin/sh"

install options and results.

installation (re boots to bios instantly)

acpi disabled (this is the only option that 'works' and results in the above)

install safe settings (gets to checking package selection just hangs)

If anyone can help or tell me if I'm wasting my time trying to install this on my machine (Compaq Presario) I'd be very grateful as I'm getting to the point of slinging the SUSE cds once and for all

Got round the installation problem,i now have Suse on an external HDD.\

The problem with booting from the external hdd remains,when I try to boot Suse from the options of OS's I just get the waiting for /dev/sda2 to appear not found exit to bin/sh

maybe its a BIOS thing of booting from USB or is it because I havent been able to assign the drive a letter in Windows?

Got round the installation problem,i now have Suse on an external HDD.\

The problem with booting from the external hdd remains,when I try to boot Suse from the options of OS's I just get the waiting for /dev/sda2 to appear not found exit to bin/sh

maybe its a BIOS thing of booting from USB or is it because I havent been able to assign the drive a letter in Windows?

Back to square one wont boot at all again

After god knows how many attempted installs,forum posts and god knows what else I still cant get suse to work.This was touted as the next generation,user friendly to install blah blah blah version which for me has been the exact opposite.

No-one seems to able to help with (waiting for /dev/sda 2 not found exit to /bin/sh) or offer a solution to it.

My bios supports booting from usb and as I feel know I'm getting prepared to ditch Linux once and for all

So far this has beeen a complete waste of 4 days messing around with it

Edited by kelv23

hi'

2 quick question ;

where did you install your boot loader(grub or lilo)? which partition?

do you have another usb device plugged in also?

it's not normal that your usb disk is set as sda2, it should be sda1, and then the bios boot from the first and only usb bootable hdd.

try to make a set up without any usb plugged else than your ext hdd :o

and just to give you some more patience, I would say "4 days only ... and you're ready to give up" come on :D ... keep it up and try again until succeed;) it' worth the effort!

francois

ps; btw, you did not choose the easiest way to setup Linux :D

hi'

2 quick question ;

it's not normal that your usb disk is set as sda2, it should be sda1, and then the bios boot from the first and only usb bootable hdd.

and just to give you some more patience, I would say "4 days only ... and you're ready to give up" come on :D ... keep it up and try again until succeed;)  it' worth the effort!

francois

Im gonna use Slax for now I'll give suse another try but i need to start from scratch,remove grub and wipe all the drives

hi'

2 quick question ;

and just to give you some more patience, I would say "4 days only ... and you're ready to give up" come on :D ... keep it up and try again until succeed;)  it' worth the effort!

francois

Im gonna use Slax for now I'll give suse another try but i need to start from scratch,remove grub and wipe all the drives

hi'

it's the way I learned alone that a linux install was not as easy as a windoz one :D

just one thing, if your boor partition is not set as active for boot, you get a real problem, you can't boot.

then, on install during the search for devices, any linux version would look for any sd device, like a zip usb reader is considered as sd1 if plugged alone ... then the system ask you "do you have any other..?"

so, if it's really impossible to boot from this sda2 its just because the partition is not active for boot.

the boot loader can't load the kernel and doesn't know where to boot form

francois

hi'

2 quick question ;

francois

hi'

it's the way I learned alone that a linux install was not as easy as a windoz one :D

just one thing, if your boor partition is not set as active for boot, you get a real problem, you can't boot.

then, on install during the search for devices, any linux version would look for any sd device, like a zip usb reader is considered as sd1 if plugged alone ... then the system ask you "do you have any other..?"

so, if it's really impossible to boot from this sda2 its just because the partition is not active for boot.

the boot loader can't load the kernel and doesn't know where to boot form

francois

I need the windows cd to get the bootloader back to the original to start again,I must have made a mistake somewhere

windows wont let me assign the drive a letter to specify a path,so in SLAX its not recognising the external drive more messing around.calmed down a bit since i got slax to work

Finally running dual boot XP/Suse .Suppose a compromise is better than nothing but I would have liked Suse to be on my external as I use my comp at work mostly but my boss is Ok so should be no probs.

Get ready for a flood of "help" type questions as I'm known to start messing around with stuff "just to see what happens"

Finally running dual boot XP/Suse .Suppose a compromise is better than nothing but I would have liked Suse to be on my external as I use my comp at work mostly but my boss is Ok so should be no probs.

Get ready for a flood of "help" type questions as I'm known to start messing around with stuff "just to see what happens"

Great first re-boot first problem.

Re-boot choose windows and I get the following

chainloader (hd0,0) +1

cant enter text or anything.Any help greatly appreciated

Great first re-boot first problem.

Re-boot choose windows and I get the following

chainloader (hd0,0) +1

cant enter text or anything.Any help greatly appreciated

hi'

if you want a "no problem system set the boot loader for Suse on floppy or any ext usb key :o

leave windoz alone and Suse as well, when want to change reboot from your ext loader :D

francois

ps ; and restore your mbr on the windoz partition :D

Edited by francois

• 1 month later...
Is there any way of fixing this from within suse?

i dont have a win xp cd to boot with and  activate the recovery for the MBR

hi'

you normaly don't need it ...

get a soft like drive image "oldy but goody", or ghost and boot from it, on the first

screen you get options, in these options there is a restore MBR, go fot it!

the soft ask, are you sure? yes, indeed :o

and once restore all, install it for backup :D

there is also a line to type in safe mode command line only, but I forgot it ...

something like "fix mbr" ...

francois

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also tryin out Suse 10.0 now, just bought me a copy. Stuck it in my laptop (IBM Thinkpad R40e), booted from CD and in the boot routine it gets always stuck after it says something about PCMCIA whateverthatwas..........done

It is the line just below the USB line with a similar wording. After the PCMCIA.....done there is no more progress. Anyone an idea what that is all about? There are no PCMCIA cards in my computer when that happens.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm also tryin out Suse 10.0 now, just bought me a copy. Stuck it in my laptop (IBM Thinkpad R40e), booted from CD and in the boot routine it gets always stuck after it says something about PCMCIA whateverthatwas..........done

It is the line just below the USB line with a similar wording. After the PCMCIA.....done there is no more progress. Anyone an idea what that is all about? There are no PCMCIA cards in my computer when that happens.

Thanks!

hi'

more details about the pc would be nice :o

the pcmcia scanning is normal ... if don't have linux goes on, even if have :D

francois