Best Motorcycle Helmet/Jacket For Thailand

jagi00

I'm about to splash out on some biking gear more suited to the tropics than my current stuff so would appreciate your feedback on what works for you.

The helmet I'm thinking about is the Shoei Qwest, I need something quiet and well ventilated. No ideas on jackets, gloves etc but hope to get some good advice.

Cheers

Jag

Jag I have a Shoei Syncrotec great helmet but found it to be a bit heavy, hot and tends to fog up in the rain and humidity in Thailand.:(

I purchased a new Nolan X801, great helmet, very light as it is made from the same material the F1 cars are made of, (Carbon Fiber) it has large vents in the mouth, and top front, it also had 2 flap vents on the top that open into the wind and that gives great ventillation. It also has an extractor sliding vent in the rear to accelerate the air flow. You can get it with tinted and clear visor, both visors are supplied with an anti fogging internal slip on lens, this fits flush on the inside of the visor. It is the same helmet that Casey Stoner wears in the MotoGP.:thumbsup:

I wear good quality leather upper jacket and nylon pants, the jacket has Tungsten shoulder pads and arm and elbow pads. The pants are fitted with shin and knee pads. Touch wood never had a prang. I wear good quality bike boots.

If you go to the bike section on here I am sure they will have a list of shops that carry the gear.B)

Jag I have a Shoei Syncrotec great helmet but found it to be a bit heavy, hot and tends to fog up in the rain and humidity in Thailand.:(

I purchased a new Nolan X801, great helmet, very light as it is made from the same material the F1 cars are made of, (Carbon Fiber) it has large vents in the mouth, and top front, it also had 2 flap vents on the top that open into the wind and that gives great ventillation. It also has an extractor sliding vent in the rear to accelerate the air flow. You can get it with tinted and clear visor, both visors are supplied with an anti fogging internal slip on lens, this fits flush on the inside of the visor. It is the same helmet that Casey Stoner wears in the MotoGP.:thumbsup:

I wear good quality leather upper jacket and nylon pants, the jacket has Tungsten shoulder pads and arm and elbow pads. The pants are fitted with shin and knee pads. Touch wood never had a prang. I wear good quality bike boots.

If you go to the bike section on here I am sure they will have a list of shops that carry the gear.B)

Thanks Ozemade, I'll check out the Nolan.

Hadn't realised there was a biking forum here so I'll have a troll through it.

Cheers

Jag

I found the answer for a helmet suitable for the tropics. It is a Nolan N43 Air. It is the only helmet I ever wore that I can actually feel the air circulating. This is the European model and not the US N43 Trilogy.

I have a claustrophobic feeling with full faced helmets but realize they offer much better protection. The N43 has a removable chin guard although I always leave it in place. Vision is great and I have no claustrophobic feelings. I still have two other helmets but never wear them anymore. They tend to get smelly but as yet the Nolan has never had an odor problem.

The N43 meets European specifications for a full face helmet and those specs are good enough for me. I have a slightly oval shaped head and was very lucky that this helmet is a perfect fit for me. For the amount of air circulation, it is amazingly quiet. I am also impressed that once in a while when I get caught in the rain, it doesn't steam up. The visor is held in place up or down with a spring loaded device. It seals very well so no water leaks or wind noise.

I should add that I am no longer a motorcycle rider. I am now a scooter rider and seldom exceed 75 kilometers an hour. I do wear a waist length leather jacket when the weather is cool enough.

I bought a few good helmets on a sunday market, looks like half of an egg-shell, and not much bigger,

450 baht and small enough to fit in the sissy bag.

Another helmet was a ww2 german replica, i can drive 100 km/h without the rope tied under my chin, similarly prized.

The "biker vest" is not a bad option, it is wind proof and helps during chilly evenings, and somewhat rain proof, while not being overly hot in day time, but a rain poncho is even better, especially considering prize & typical rain shower: 50 baht vs 5000

If only it would neatly fold back to a small package

Edited by poanoi

I would recommend ebay. I got my HJC FS-15 Carbon for 8k with shipping and duty (1k baht) withing a week. I have seen them retail here for anywhere between 15-18k. Just go try one on first at a shop here to make sure you order the right size. Helmets are one thing you really wanna be sure about sizing.

So, where can you buy these Nolan helmets in Thailand ?

Are there any good shops in Jomtien/Pattaya ?

They are available in Thailand but they are much cheaper online. I got mine from a Singapore company named Motomonstar. It was about 7,500 baht including shipping and Thai taxes. I had it shipped via Thai EMS. I think the Bangkok shop price was about 11,500 baht.

Nolan has a special buckle but it doesn't meed Singapore safety standards so mine has double "D" rings.

They are available in Thailand but they are much cheaper online. I got mine from a Singapore company named Motomonstar. It was about 7,500 baht including shipping and Thai taxes. I had it shipped via Thai EMS. I think the Bangkok shop price was about 11,500 baht.

From what i've looked at, doesn't look much/any cheaper than Thai prices... especially if you factor in the in-consistency of Thai customs :huh:

Edited by William Osborne

From what i've looked at, doesn't look much/any cheaper than Thai prices... especially if you factor in the in-consistency of Thai customs :huh:

Had I been able to buy the N43 Air in Thailand for a reasonable price, I would have been much happier to buy it here for the simple reason that I would have been able to try one on rather than take a chance on mail order. I was lucky that I got a perfect fit. If you are able to source one here in Thailand and try it on before buying, it is a better option for sure. The price at Dirt Shop in Bangkok at 11,500 versus 7,500 mail order made my decision for me without having to make a trip to Bangkok to try one on.

I bought a few good helmets on a sunday market, looks like half of an egg-shell, and not much bigger,

Another helmet was a ww2 german replica, i can drive 100 km/h without the rope tied under my chin, similarly prized.

The "biker vest" is not a bad option, it is wind proof and helps during chilly evenings, and somewhat rain proof, while not being overly hot in day time, but a rain poncho is even better, especially considering prize & typical rain shower: 50 baht vs 5000

I guess you don't place very high value on your head? :unsure:

I guess you don't place very high value on your head? :unsure:

poanoi seems to be a fashion junky and has a very special view on biking gear. All he needs for riding in LOS is a M35 Helmet-Replica and a 50Baht rain coat, i guess in grass green. For sure perfect for songkran party :D

I am still looking for some gear too. Everything with good protection seems to be much to hot for riding in BKK and daily traffic jams in the sun. At the moment i wear a Real helmet (GJ-998), old hiking boots, jeans pants, jeans jacket and some old cycling winter gloves. Really not a perfect protection, but most of it washable, so not much stank from sweating. But i want to get some better gloves and maybe pants and jacket next weeks. Maybe some kevlar jeans were i can put some protectors in when needed. Still not sure whats the best for me. Hoping for some tips here :)

I have always bought Arai helmets but am going to try a Shark next time. I don't really know Bangkok but Paddock, Panda Rider and Dirtshop always seem to get a mention for kit. I buy gear from Red Baron as it easy to access going between the 2 airports. The Komine jackets, gloves, trousers are excellent quality and cool. I bought a pair of Sidi boots in Singapore, which were way cheaper than Thailand. Depends how much you want to spend for a decent helmet in Thailand I would say 10k+ and the same for a jacket. Some people will probably say I am talking <deleted> but for me you can't put a price on safety. Yes, you can buy helmets for 450B but what is it actually going to do in an accident?

Had I been able to buy the N43 Air in Thailand for a reasonable price, I would have been much happier to buy it here for the simple reason that I would have been able to try one on rather than take a chance on mail order. I was lucky that I got a perfect fit. If you are able to source one here in Thailand and try it on before buying, it is a better option for sure. The price at Dirt Shop in Bangkok at 11,500 versus 7,500 mail order made my decision for me without having to make a trip to Bangkok to try one on.

How do you factor in import duty costs ? I know from UK it is very hit and miss, Is Singapore different ?

I always used decent quality open faced helmets. That was when I was still young and bulletproof. As you get older you come to the conclusion that you are not really bulletproof at all. After you hit that big 60 and beyond, you think a lot more about safety and how long it takes to heal up even from minor injuries. Motorcycles really do get in your blood and at about 60 I did quit riding. I had seen too many fatal highway accidents involving motorcycles and too many crippled people with feet and legs missing.

WELL, I couldn't leave the motorcycles alone. That said, I have moved down to a scooter where my legs are in front of me. I feared the thought of having my leg between the bike and anyone who hit me. A friend (?) sent me a very gory picture of a guy who had lost his entire jaw. I couldn't wear a full face helmet but made up my mind that I would have to get over my claustrophobic feelings.

The little 135cc Elegance is still a pleasure to drive and can go plenty fast for me. Maybe people laugh at the old man with his full face helmet and leather jacket riding a scooter but I like the feeling of at least taking some precautions. The little automatic scooters have put some joy back in my life.

Say and think what you like but small bikes are safer than big bikes. Big bikes have obscene amounts of power and you very often use and enjoy that big power. I know I did. We all have stories about close calls from excessive speed and I have my share of them too.

How do you factor in import duty costs ? I know from UK it is very hit and miss, Is Singapore different ?

I don't know if Singapore is different but I do know that having anything shipped FedEx or UPS gets a huge tax. I refuse to buy anything from outside Thailand unless they send it via the postal system. I think the post office charged me 900 baht customs tax. That figure may not be exact, but it is close. I bought a heavy pressure cooker from Australia and the post office added no tax. Sometimes things come through with no tax but when they do add tax, it is nowhere near as high as FedEx or UPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used decent quality open faced helmets. That was when I was still young and bulletproof. As you get older you come to the conclusion that you are not really bulletproof at all. After you hit that big 60 and beyond, you think a lot more about safety and how long it takes to heal up even from minor injuries. Motorcycles really do get in your blood and at about 60 I did quit riding. I had seen too many fatal highway accidents involving motorcycles and too many crippled people with feet and legs missing.

Maybe i have to get used to full face helmets again, but in tight city traffic in LOS i feel safer with an open face helmet. I have a better field of view with open face, i hear the direction other vehicles are coming from better and i have a better air ventilation wich helps to keep the head cooler. I would describe it as "I feel myself closer to the traffic with an open face helmet".

Sure, a full face gives better protection. But i think the likeliness of an accident increases with full face helmets when its very hot and the traffic is as crazy as in BKK. But maybe i just have to get used to full face again as i have always used open face helmets the last years.

(EDIT: Just saw the advise for the Nolan N43 Air in the posts above. Maybe this would be the solution for my problems with full face in city traffic too. Looks as the Nolan has nearly the same vision like an open face helmet.)

WELL, I couldn't leave the motorcycles alone. That said, I have moved down to a scooter where my legs are in front of me. I feared the thought of having my leg between the bike and anyone who hit me. A friend (?) sent me a very gory picture of a guy who had lost his entire jaw. I couldn't wear a full face helmet but made up my mind that I would have to get over my claustrophobic feelings.

The little 135cc Elegance is still a pleasure to drive and can go plenty fast for me. Maybe people laugh at the old man with his full face helmet and leather jacket riding a scooter but I like the feeling of at least taking some precautions. The little automatic scooters have put some joy back in my life.

Say and think what you like but small bikes are safer than big bikes. Big bikes have obscene amounts of power and you very often use and enjoy that big power. I know I did. We all have stories about close calls from excessive speed and I have my share of them too.

I think too that in some cases, especially in city traffic, a scooter is safer, but only for speeds up to 60-80km/h. And i think its clever to wear good protection even riding a scooter. Nothing to laugh about.

But back to topic. Last week i bought a REV'IT Mesh jacket (Tarmac Air) and some gloves at Panda Rider in BKK. For better back protection i replaced the standard foam thing of the jacket with a SAS-Tec Back Protector. Did my first longer ride today with my new jacket. The jacket has a very good air flow and is very comfortable as long as you keep moving. But of course it gets hot when standing still. And of course there is some sweating at the back protector. It is sure not as comfortable as riding with my beloved jean jacket. But this seems to be the price you pay for having some real protection :)

I am still unsure what to do for protecting my legs. Maybe i will try some kneepads worn above or under my jean pants. Mesh pants with protectors or kevlar jean pants will be to hot, i guess. The problem is the heat here in LOS. I want to get rid of the protection gear as quick and easy as possible when not riding.

Edited by wantan

I use a Rev'It Ignition Jacket and Gear Pants, they have leather in all the important places and a very tight weave mesh elsewhere. I find them cool enough while moving and they have a lot better protection than full mesh type gear. As for helmets, I am going to get a Shark Evoline 2, which is a flip up helmet which can be worn as an open face or full face helmet. It has advantages over other flip ups as the chin bar rotates right to the back of the helmet, meaning it doesn't catch the wind.

I use a Rev'It Ignition Jacket and Gear Pants, they have leather in all the important places and a very tight weave mesh elsewhere. I find them cool enough while moving and they have a lot better protection than full mesh type gear.

You are right. The OP was looking for "The best Jacket for Thailand". Than sure your jacket wins and mine is crap. But yours is more than double the price. I guess your leather/mesh-mix will be cooler too, as leather is breathable by nature and the leather of your jacket is also perforated. The Ignition jacket really looks very nice!

No I think your Tarmac air and all the other Rev'It mesh jackets will be cooler than the Ignition jacket. I also really like the Turbine jacket, but decided to go for the Ignition as it came with a waterproof and thermal liner.

Maybe i have to get used to full face helmets again, but in tight city traffic in LOS i feel safer with an open face helmet. I have a better field of view with open face, i hear the direction other vehicles are coming from better and i have a better air ventilation wich helps to keep the head cooler. I would describe it as "I feel myself closer to the traffic with an open face helmet".

Sure, a full face gives better protection. But i think the likeliness of an accident increases with full face helmets when its very hot and the traffic is as crazy as in BKK. But maybe i just have to get used to full face again as i have always used open face helmets the last years.

(EDIT: Just saw the advise for the Nolan N43 Air in the posts above. Maybe this would be the solution for my problems with full face in city traffic too. Looks as the Nolan has nearly the same vision like an open face helmet.)

A properly fitting full faced helmet will not affect your field of view, and shouldn't be any different concerning outside noises then a ear covering open face helmet. Estimate put the face area between 30% to 60% as the impact location in a motorcycle accident. Guess I'm lucky that I don't feel claustrophobic in a full face helmet because I won't wear anything but (and sadly through my youthful MX riding often led with my chin when crashing).

I think too that in some cases, especially in city traffic, a scooter is safer, but only for speeds up to 60-80km/h. And i think its clever to wear good protection even riding a scooter. Nothing to laugh about.

Not laughing but hear others make similar statements in the land of smiles, always with a 'in most cases' clause. Could you explain why please?

I don't feel safer on a scooter due to; the smaller tire contact patches with regards to breaking and emergency situations, and poor suspension to not cushion the aging body and again avoid emergency situations. I once ran over a falling and sliding motorcycles tire at a fair speed, and it upset the bike a lot, but I feel that it would have been different outcome if I'd been riding a Click.

I use a Shoei X-Twelve helmet. The ventilation is much better than my last hemet, an HJC. It doesn't stink up nearly as fast either. I use a mesh Shift jacket with loads of padding. When moving it is comfortable enough. Stopped at red lights in the sun is another story though. The thick padded leather gloves I use are probably more suited for riding in Alaska, but I like the added protection. For long trips I have a nice pair of Sidi boots. I also use knee and shin protectors that wrap around my legs with velcro straps. Best of Luck.

Brian

Not laughing but hear others make similar statements in the land of smiles, always with a 'in most cases' clause. Could you explain why please?

I don't feel safer on a scooter due to; the smaller tire contact patches with regards to breaking and emergency situations, and poor suspension to not cushion the aging body and again avoid emergency situations. I once ran over a falling and sliding motorcycles tire at a fair speed, and it upset the bike a lot, but I feel that it would have been different outcome if I'd been riding a Click.

I haven't said "in most cases". I said "in some cases, especially in city traffic". And i was refering to the tight and crazy BKK city traffic that i personally have to deal with at the moment. There is much stop and go traffic and often its much easier to handle with a scooter than with a bigger bike.

Gary A has given a good example above. If a car hits you from the side it could be much better if you have your legs in front of you than at the side of the bike. There are many situations where the legs can get badly hurt on a "normal bike". Also the legs normally do not get between surface and bike in an accident on a scooter. And the engine and all things are much more covered, so there is less danger to get burned or hurt by your own bike. The seating position on a scooter is upright and relaxed. And so on...

It is just my personal view and of course everything depends on the situation when having an accident. I do not say that a scooter is generally safer than a normal bike. Maybe i should have made this more clearly in my above post.

I haven't said "in most cases". I said "in some cases, especially in city traffic". And i was refering to the tight and crazy BKK city traffic that i personally have to deal with at the moment. There is much stop and go traffic and often its much easier to handle with a scooter than with a bigger bike.

Gary A has given a good example above. If a car hits you from the side it could be much better if you have your legs in front of you than at the side of the bike. There are many situations where the legs can get badly hurt on a "normal bike". Also the legs normally do not get between surface and bike in an accident on a scooter. And the engine and all things are much more covered, so there is less danger to get burned or hurt by your own bike. The seating position on a scooter is upright and relaxed. And so on...

It is just my personal view and of course everything depends on the situation when having an accident. I do not say that a scooter is generally safer than a normal bike. Maybe i should have made this more clearly in my above post.

Thanks for the reply Wantan. I do keep hearing stories of a younger man recently in Chiang Mai putting his foot down on his ninja, having the curb sink/collapse, and shattering his leg as the bike landed on it. Auto scoots do have no protruding pegs, and I've seen accidents in CM and Bangkok result from footpeg hits.

Different stroke etc etc. Don't live in Bangkok but prefer buzzing around on a CBR or D Tracker there.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread - the best motorcycle helmet and jacket are the ones you will wear!

My main finding in this area is that thers quite a tolerance on the gear you can buy and still be comfortable - as long as you moving!

It all goes to sheet as soon as you get stuck at a lights or attempt city commuting.

As a commuter my best defence is setting off early in the morning when its still cooler - but by jiggery I sweat on the way home if I wear a FF and a jacket.

My main finding in this area is that thers quite a tolerance on the gear you can buy and still be comfortable - as long as you moving!

It all goes to sheet as soon as you get stuck at a lights or attempt city commuting.

As a commuter my best defence is setting off early in the morning when its still cooler - but by jiggery I sweat on the way home if I wear a FF and a jacket.

Don't forget the balaclava...:D Helps keep the "stink" away from your helmet, it does...:)

Wearing a nice comfy shirt underneath the jacket does wonders (just as the Mongols used to wear silk undershirts beneath their heavy battle armor). Someone here once suggested splashing a bit of water on the jacket helps.