Indefinite Visa For Being A Father?

You will be allowed to apply for a Non-Imm type 'O' visa, based on visiting a Thai child, you will need to be registered on the birth certificate as being the father, and show that certificate when you apply for the visa.

It's not 'indefinite' A multiple entry visa of that kind allows you a maximum of 90 days on each visit, then you do a visa run and come back the same day (if you want to), if you enter the day before the visa's validity finishes, you can stretch the one year visa to 15 months, then you need to go and get another one.

I don't know if you can apply for the yearly extensions of stay for a father of a Thai child, those have financial requirements and you report to immigration every 90 days instead of having to leave the country.

Being on the birth certificate enables you to get a non-O visa. However, if you want an extension of stay you will not only have to be on the birth certificate but will have to legitimize the child as yours. Being on the birth certificate does not make one the legal father and is not enough for a 1 year extension of stay.

Sounds odd. Does that imply one is not legally the mother if they are not married to the father?

Dumb question am afraid to say, know the rules or find them out.

to the Op being on the BC is enough to let you stay, do as others have suggested.

Being on the birth certificate enables you to get a non-O visa. However, if you want an extension of stay you will not only have to be on the birth certificate but will have to legitimize the child as yours. Being on the birth certificate does not make one the legal father and is not enough for a 1 year extension of stay.

when u say legitimize do u mean DNA testing?

thanks

when u say legitimize do u mean DNA testing?

thanks

In essence, going to court and ask to be recognized as the leagl father. If the mother agrees it is a simple procedure, but will take a few months.

As for visa in the area only single entry for 90 day visit is normal for unmarried parents. But as said one year extensions of stay are available if legal relationship and living with and 400k in bank account as required by marriage.

Remember by even being on the Birth Certificate, you are still not legally the father as you are not married to the mother.

I am the LEGAL father of my child and was not married to her mom. Thou we did get married ( an then divorced later) so she could get a visa for the states. Note, when we divorced I went to court (she did not show up) and i got the divorce and was given sole custody of my daughter.

You can get a single entry Non O at just about any embassy then apply for the one year extension (I have done this twice)

in PHUKET they asked for 500,000 in the bank ( not seasoned) and a copy of her BC.

Took 15 minutes both times

Reason i applied for having a child extension was i did not have the 800,000 in the bank.

when u get the retirement extension in Phuket they do it right away BUT for the child extension they require it be authuorized in Bangkok so takes 3o days or so.

Edited by phuketrichard

Remember by even being on the Birth Certificate, you are still not legally the father as you are not married to the mother.

I am the LEGAL father of my child and was not married to her mom. Thou we did get married ( an then divorced later) so she could get a visa for the states.

You can get a single entry Non O at just about any embassy then apply for the one year extension ( I have done this twice)

in PHUKET they asked for 500,000 in the bank ( not seasoned) and a copy of her BC.

Took 15 minutes

With marrying the mother you became automatically the legal father.

500k would be parent of a foreign student - not parent of a Thai. Is your child here on a foreign passport and in school perhaps? For Thai staying with foreign parent the financial is the same as for marriage.

Why do u say that? go to phuket and ask them as 500 is what i had to show and yes she is thai. You really don't need to show any money as it states u need to have enough to support an each office interprets that its on way. I know one friend that did not need show any money in Bank in Bangkok

As lopburi said, the 500k is for the parent of a foreign child studying. I must say I have heard someone mentioning 500k before, but to me it seems immigration made a short-cut and didn't extend on based on being a father of a Thai national (which would be more paperwork) but on being the father of a foreign student.

You can check it by looking at what is indicated as reason for the extension in your passport.

I say it because that is the requirement under section 2.18 of Police Order 777/2551 which is what applies everywhere in Thailand. There is a possible exception clause so that is likely what your friend may have but the 500k you claim would fit student - are you sure you are not allowed stay as parent of a student?

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration

Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may

approve on case to case basis.

How about if someone fathers a child with a farang who is here on a Work Permit. If you were listed on the Thai and British birth certificates but not married could you get a good visa i.e. non-immigration type O multi entry?

Sounds odd. Does that imply one is not legally the mother if they are not married to the father?

to the Op being on the BC is enough to let you stay, do as others have suggested.

There are really no "dumb questions"-- only dumb answers.

I'm assuming canopy was being sarcastic to point out a perceived lack of logic in the rules. If not then yes probably a dumb question. As for finding out the rules then this is often the best place. I've asked questions on here about visas as the Thai embassy in London and the consulate in Hull have misleading information on their websites. You can see evidence of this on post 17 here http://www.thaivisa....56#entry4725256

Glad this question has been. My circumstances are similar.

I have a Thai/Aussie son (Dual Nationality) and I am married (Amphur Certified) to his mother. I currently reside in Australia and she in Thailand.

I travel over every 3 months or so, but will be doing it permantly in 2012 under early medical retirement.

My Visa question is which is best. I turn 50 next year and qualify for Retirement Visa easily. However I will need to return to Australia every 3 months or so for about 1-2 weeks at time every year.

Do I go 'non-O' mutiple entry ? or Retirement with mutiple entry?

Thank you.

I would do a non-"O" and extend it for retirement purposes once in Thailand each year and get a multiple entry re-entry permit to cover you trips home. No Criminal record or extensive medical check required. The other option is apply for a one year multipe Non-"OA" in your home country and extend it at the expiration. You will need the criminal record and medical checks to get this.

I have a Thai/Aussie son (Dual Nationality) and I am married (Amphur Certified) to his mother. I currently reside in Australia and she in Thailand.

I travel over every 3 months or so, but will be doing it permantly in 2012 under early medical retirement.

My Visa question is which is best. I turn 50 next year and qualify for Retirement Visa easily. However I will need to return to Australia every 3 months or so for about 1-2 weeks at time every year.

Thank you.

There are really no "dumb questions"-- only dumb answers.

Brillent whistling.gif

Thank you.

The killer is three months or so. All options would fit to some extent. If always less than three months a multi entry non immigrant O visa would be the obvious choice - if sometimes more than three months a multi entry non immigrant O-A would be fine as would the non immigrant entry and then extend and buy multi re-entry permit.

Dumb question am afraid to say....

Not that dumb really if you think about it......

You are NOT the father if you are not married to the mother.....

so using the same logic,

You are NOT the mother if you are not married to the father.....

which would mean

If you don't have married parents you have neither a father or a mother....you must be the product of Miracle Thailand where children appear out of nowhere

Isn't Thailand facsinating.....

The mother is known, that is why a child always has a legal mother. The father is not known. In the case one is married, the law asumes the husband is the father of the child. If the mother is not married no such presumption can be made and one must lay a claim that one is ineeed the father of the child.

The topic of being a legal father recognised by Thai law has been done to death on this forum, a little bit of research and it is very easy to find the answer.

So if anyone out there wants to be a legal father then marry the mother.

Edited by beano2274