Bus From Ko San Travel Agencies Or Go To Ekamai?

SwanF

Hi all, I am flying into Bangkok on the 27th December. Staying for one night only, then hop onto an early morning bus to Ko chang. i was going to stay at a hotel close to Swampy and get the Airport bus to Ko chang, but I want go into the Ko san area, havent been there for 3 years! I have got the well warned against ko san bus to chang before with no problems, I am wondering whether to just book through an agency in the area or to go to Ekamai and get the Government bus? Anyone one here used the services recently, are they really that bad, I had no trouble 3 years back, maybe I was just lucky?

Edited by SwanF

villa cha cha (awesome name, perhaps ironic for the area) is the best place to stay if your set on koh san rd (comparatively it aint that cheap, but who cares). its is on the soi to the left of Koh san. (forgotten the name of the soi but again the one on the left if your at the gullivers end).

Travel agent wise they will all do the same sort of thing around there for the same figures. Imo i would use Mr Thai travel, travelled with them twice was good/as expected. They have a stall 1/3rd the way down koh san. see website if you want. As ^^^^ guy said why go to koh san? its really not that great and probs nicer to go to a plush hotel before a long trip. However, if you cant wait to get on it, its not a bad place to start.

In the morning there isn't much traffic so it wouldn't take long to get a taxi to ekkamai and get on the real bus. There is one that goes directly to the pier where you get the ferry, 2 every morning. Other buses go to Trat and you have to get a songteow to the pier.

I think Khao San to Ko Chang is in a van, which is not nearly as comfortable as the VIP bus. It's only 5 hours so I guess you could put up with it, but I don't like them and think it'd be worth going to Ekkamai. The vip bus from ekkamai to the pier is big and uncrowded and you could sleep on it if you're tired from the night before

Edited by DP25

you have FAR more choices as you-and most others above-think. BUT; that day will be quite crowded, as the Thai also leave BKK for their own 1/1 days off. NO-you cannot prebook in a sensible way via www. This is Thailand and not some fartoomodernthinking western system

1.ALSO vans-about hourly or wehn full, from Victory Monument AND-just opposite KhaoSarn-in front of Royal Hotel near Sanam Luang-all clearly labelled.

2.ALSO big buses direct from Mochit-these also stop at Swampy BUSterminal

3.the very best IMHO=not hte cheapest, is the Direct bus from Swampy INTO Chang-island-and very easy to reach now via ARL. Just that ARL cityend Phyathasi is not that near KSR-but a taxi will do-60/70 thb by meter.

google for a site like whitesands (koh chang) which also does that nice info-booklet and has uptodate info online too.

Around KSR are 100+ hotels and guesthss-that ChaCHa is an overpriced package HTL for those who know no better.

There are frequent buses from Ekkamai to Trat with easy connections to the ferry. No reservations necessary.

Cab from KSR to Ekkamai should be no problem, about B80 to B100. You might have to flag a moving taxi to get one who will use the meter rather than demanding B200-B300 flat rate.

The #511 (air-con) and #2 (red, no a/c) buses go to Ekkamai but not convenient if you have large bags.