Thai Airways Cancels More Than 500 Flights In Flood Aftermath

george

I "used" to fly Thai Air International every year. However as their prices got higher and higher I went elsewhere. Yes I would pay 100-150 USD more for the non-stop flight, but NOT 5-600 per passenger more. But when I asked BKK are there any "promotions, etc" or any sort of discount for a frequent flyer with loads of points I was told NO. However on the last flight I was on, there were some hi-so's on the same flight paying less and they were given "free" upgrades to business class. Meanwhile even though we had points for an upgrade, none were available.

Now I have 0 points but a few thousand dollars more. And while I will compare their fares next Feb or March, likely will not use unless somewhat comparable price.

Hi Lockman. Same here. I used to fly Thai all the time.

The service was acceptable without being outstanding.

But Air Asia starting flying from my home City to KL and the resulting connection not too long a delay.

Air Asia was cheap also BUT just recently they upped their prices so it’s more equally priced now between AirAsia and Thai Air.

Just landed in Bangkok a little over a week ago (after getting our first Thai Airlines flight cancelled) and it was OK again with out being noteworthy.

What was disappointing was that it was a promotional fare (a saving of about $100 on the ‘usual’ rate) but there was no frequent flyer points because it was a promotional fare.

In the newspaper (Thai) the other day they advertised a Bangkok / Sydney fare of 26,330 Baht

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High season is toast yet again.

Huge losses in the tourist sector of course.

The toursim minister seems to reach a new low in the clueless abyss.

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

way too much being released in far to short a time...

Resulting in these floods.

And the inability of the government to control the situation.

The Agri minister was in the job before, but no horrendous floods,

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

The 'man of the people' has put more 'people' out of work than any 5

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

The purpose of the dams is to hold water and not to avoid floods!

I'm not a Thaksin fan but that is crap what you say. Nobody could know that such heavy rains would come....that's nature!

If they would release the water as you said....and then no rain.....that would be a drama!

The problem is when you build a big city like Bangkok on a sump area....a river delta....what you expect?

I checked before building and we have no flooding!

The village people even held big water parties where the water run over the filled dam. Thai whisky and water streams and most thais cannot swim....there you have 30% of your dead people!

Stop crying and adjust to nature rather then trying to beat it....!

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

I'm not a Thaksin fan but that is crap what you say. Nobody could know that such heavy rains would come....that's nature!

If they would release the water as you said....and then no rain.....that would be a drama!

The problem is when you build a big city like Bangkok on a sump area....a river delta....what you expect?

The village people even held big water parties where the water run over the filled dam. Thai whisky and water streams and most thais cannot swim....there you have 30% of your dead people!

it's sad but evidently true that the pro-Taksin brigade on this site are for the most part utterly clueless and motivated by a football type partisan bigotry that is blind to any rational thought.

Good job the domestic from D Muang are going in, the numbers are including these.

money exchange rate=up to the government to change things there.

fuel prices are not increasing that much in fact they have dropped from 150 D a barrel to around 100. this is always a sick dog excuse.

Why are your domestic flights so high for return tickets ??? and your International ??? if posters check back they are higher now than when fuel prices were at a premium. Sorry you do not use riots and floods to convince me.

When are your new aircraft arriving ????.................looks like a good oportunity to scrap your old Jumbo's for a start, and get competitive, do not increase ticket prices as Thais always do when business is down =you lower them to attract customers, and keep staff employed and your reputation intact--ex passenger-member.:bah:

Thai Airways doesn't fly from DM.

Going in=============meaning to Swampy......the numbers arriving at Swampy that was ex D.M. are added to new numbers mentioned by the airport in their total======Did I mention Thai flying from D.M. ???????///

Which has resulted in :

way too much being released in far to short a time..

resulting in these floods.

That Kuhn T. of course.

Well said Ani

Now wait patiently for the the "yeah but xxxx was bad too" from some who crank that out to defend the indefensible, time and time again.

And making a announcement from an airline into another political thread shambles.

One can always rely on animatic to turn any topic into a tirade against Thaksin :D

His tunnel vision sees everything bad that happens in Thailand as Thaksin's fault.

In reality Thaksin has to do nothing, Thai politicians and bureacrats, of any colour, are quite capable of screwing things up without any help from Thaksin.

On topic I look forward to the Minister for tourism putting a positive spin on this news B)

Today my Thai bkk - hkt flight was changed from 747-400 to 777-300. The triple 7 was about 2/3 full.

So you had about 200 approx on board---66% approx--is that good for an Airline in the top 6 in the world, and again how much did you pay----people want to know to compare---at least you had ind-video in economy---only because these 777s are lease ?...........anyway this top world airline, saved some cost by putting on the 777, the 200 on board would have been45% full on the 747-400..................but cancelling all these flights due to their over pricing mainly, anyone heard where the staff are holidaying ????????????

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then <deleted> and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

Such a sad state of affairs (literary !)

JGK/Jomtien

That is because there are toooo many STUPID people in government here...Get this...I went to Thai Air on the 16th...I asked for a one way tick to Cambodia...I hand the woman my passport...She says..."sorry, I can't give you a one way tick unless you have a WORK PERMIT..." I say...But I live in Cambodia and my Thia visa runs out on the 23rd of Nov. and I must leave....Read the F'ing passport...I am retired and I do not work any more...She insists three times that I need a work permit to go back to Cambo...So...as you might have guessed by now I say " F'U" and go to Asia Air...I say ..."I need a one way tick to Cambodia..." I hand over my passport to the counter person...I ask..."do I need a round trip tick...?" He says in his best English..."not unless you wish to return"... I say...."great..."He says..."when would you like to leave..."? I say..."8:30 Tuesday AM..." The counter person says " Thank you sir for choosing Air Asia..." I am on my way back to Thai Air to tell the idiot from before that " BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE HER...HER COUNTRY WILL NEVER EXCEL BEYOND WHAT IT REALLY IS..." and I hold up my one way ticket to Cambodia...You can finish the rest...Just saying...They really are nothing more than a THIRD WORLD NATION...AND ALWAYS WILL BE...:bah::bah::bah: The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women...The one and only problem is that they do not age very well...Look at there mothers...So get them while they are young and hot...Oh...and stay away from Thai Air...They just canceled 500 flights...G...Who is running a scam here...????

If you want to experience unnecessary hassles departing an international airport, I suggest you try Kathmandu. It will make you appreciate Bangkok. And I once had an airline check-in staff in China question the very validity of my passport simply because it had been issued by the Canadian embassy in Bangkok rather than in Canada! So don't be too hard on Thailand and Thai Air.

Thanks for the reply but.... this happened at Chiang Rai airport.... I was trying to get to BKK...I never had a hassle in BKK...ever. :jap: The woman behind the counter truly was quite ignorant....:bah:

{/quote}

That is because there are toooo many STUPID people in government here...Get this...I went to Thai Air on the 16th...I asked for a one way tick to Cambodia...I hand the woman my passport...She says..."sorry, I can't give you a one way tick unless you have a WORK PERMIT..." I say...But I live in Cambodia and my Thia visa runs out on the 23rd of Nov. and I must leave....Read the F'ing passport...I am retired and I do not work any more...She insists three times that I need a work permit to go back to Cambo...So...as you might have guessed by now I say " F'U" and go to Asia Air...I say ..."I need a one way tick to Cambodia..." I hand over my passport to the counter person...I ask..."do I need a round trip tick...?" He says in his best English..."not unless you wish to return"... I say...."great..."He says..."when would you like to leave..."? I say..."8:30 Tuesday AM..." The counter person says " Thank you sir for choosing Air Asia..." I am on my way back to Thai Air to tell the idiot from before that " BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE HER...HER COUNTRY WILL NEVER EXCEL BEYOND WHAT IT REALLY IS..." and I hold up my one way ticket to Cambodia...You can finish the rest...Just saying...They really are nothing more than a THIRD WORLD NATION...AND ALWAYS WILL BE...:bah::bah::bah: The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women...The one and only problem is that they do not age very well...Look at there mothers...So get them while they are young and hot...Oh...and stay away from Thai Air...They just canceled 500 flights...G...Who is running a scam here...????

No wonder Farangs get a bad rap. This douche canoe needs to step on a Cambodian land mine

hahahahaha...I tend to agree but that is a tad harsh...hahaha...She just really needs to understand what a business visa for Cambodia is all about...$295.00 per year and you can stay as long as you like...Just pay the fee each year...Thanks for responding...Enjoy the weekend...Peace.

Umm...Teddy--you might want to read jehricaholic's post again. I think the 'douche canoe' he's referring to is you....

The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women

I've heard that the TAT are looking for a new slogan writer. You wouldn't be interested in the position by any chance would you? :D

That's is the thing that annoys me about people like Mr Teddy Zipper Fisher, he calls Thailand a sewer (shit hole same thing) but he either lives here and hates every moment of it, or he is a casual sex tourist (he refered to the women which I would presume the bar scene) and lives in the West. If he lives here there is nothing stopping him packing up his personal excrement and moving out, where I think by his own comment would be far happier. He could leave those of us that actually find Thailand a wonderful place to enjoy it. Get away from the politics and the tourist sex scenes and bars with all it's scams and such and you will find that Thailand and it's people very warm and hospitable. I suggest this to anyone before full on calling the place a shit hole. It has it's faults but all in all is a great place.:jap:

Edited by softgeorge

Unfortunately, TG does not reduce their pricing either. Same Prices as always. Xmas to Europe they are now asking 50K in Coach. No specials during November either. Will use QR for 28K.

It's about supply and demand. TG would adjust their prices if they had to. Apparently, that's not the case.

While I won't fly Middle-Eastern airlines from BKK to Europe for the simple reason that they wake me up for a change of planes once I am fast asleep, there are other airlines with non-stop flights to Europe. I love the service on OS while my friend just complained about the service he received on SK. So there is a wide choice.

I'll fly to JKT tomorrow for a morning appointment on Monday. TG departs at 8.20am - too early for comfort, but no choice: I wanted to fly SQ, but the return flight was cancelled (that's not a TG privilege, obviously). Now I hope TG doesn't cancel their flight.

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

The whole purpose of dams is for flood control.

Good job the domestic from D Muang are going in, the numbers are including these.

fuel prices are not increasing that much in fact they have dropped from 150 D a barrel to around 100. this is always a sick dog excuse.

Why are your domestic flights so high for return tickets ??? and your International ??? if posters check back they are higher now than when fuel prices were at a premium. Sorry you do not use riots and floods to convince me.

When are your new aircraft arriving ????.................looks like a good oportunity to scrap your old Jumbo's for a start, and get competitive, do not increase ticket prices as Thais always do when business is down =you lower them to attract customers, and keep staff employed and your reputation intact--ex passenger-member.:bah:

Going in=============meaning to Swampy......the numbers arriving at Swampy that was ex D.M. are added to new numbers mentioned by the airport in their total======Did I mention Thai flying from D.M. ???????///

The OP was talking about Thai Air. You used no name. I was only pointing out that Thai no longer uses DM.

The only thing this shit hole has going for it is the women

I've heard that the TAT are looking for a new slogan writer. You wouldn't be interested in the position by any chance would you? :D

That's is the thing that annoys me about people like Mr Teddy Zipper Fisher, he calls Thailand a sewer (shit hole same thing) but he either lives here and hates every moment of it, or he is a casual sex tourist (he refered to the women which I would presume the bar scene) and lives in the West. If he lives here there is nothing stopping him packing up his personal excrement and moving out, where I think by his own comment would be far happier. He could leave those of us that actually find Thailand a wonderful place to enjoy it. Get away from the politics and the tourist sex scenes and bars with all it's scams and such and you will find that Thailand and it's people very warm and hospitable. I suggest this to anyone before full on calling the place a shit hole. It has it's faults but all in all is a great place.:jap:

I tend to skip over posts like that. I do not have all these problems. Maybe I am just polite.

{/quote}

No wonder Farangs get a bad rap. This douche canoe needs to step on a Cambodian land mine

hahahahaha...I tend to agree but that is a tad harsh...hahaha...She just really needs to understand what a business visa for Cambodia is all about...$295.00 per year and you can stay as long as you like...Just pay the fee each year...Thanks for responding...Enjoy the weekend...Peace.

Umm...Teddy--you might want to read jehricaholic's post again. I think the 'douche canoe' he's referring to is you....

Well we all have opinions and if he can't get passed name calling then so be it...I respect every ones opinions. Toooo bad he has a problem with mine...

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

THe average poster on TV throughout the floods has shown a startling ignorance of the whole situation - here is another example......"The whole purpose of dams is for flood control."

THe average poster on TV throughout the floods has shown a startling ignorance of the whole situation - here is another example......"The whole purpose of dams is for flood control."

Yes, dams are also used to generate electricity & provide water for the irrigation canals which many farmers use for cultivation.

But they do have the scrap aircraft and maintenance depot there... Surprised there isn't more scrap there!!!

But they do have the scrap aircraft and maintenance depot there... Surprised there isn't more scrap there!!!

5555555555555555 Ha Ha, Maybe when they dry out D,M, all the aged 747-400s that have had good service, can be piled up here waiting for a buyer from Bangladesh or where ever ( i used these aircraft when Thai were good-very good, direct U.K.. reasonable price) yes some well over 20 years old now, well maintained but way past there sell by date.

I feel sorry for the minority of super staff working for this Mafia run fiasco All the bosses should be sent to inactive posts. If they had their brains intact why didn't they get in to Manchester and other airports the same as the well run airlines like ET-Em-EVA-KU-TUR. etc, as I said earlier 500 flights cancelled-where have the staff gone???? pilots ???? but all the brainless board and ceo, will still have their perks and bonuses, and they will still cater for the Thai national Hi-Sos, upgrading etc, sorry NOT anti Thai Airways--BUT anti management team.:bah:

The OP was talking about Thai Air. You used no name. I was only pointing out that Thai no longer uses DM.

some posters were talking about numbers being bolstered up by airport, so sorry if my post misled you, and I can see that now. my post was trying to be clever, in answering 2-in 1.

5555555555555555 Ha Ha, Maybe when they dry out D,M, all the aged 747-400s that have had good service, can be piled up here waiting for a buyer from Bangladesh or where ever ( i used these aircraft when Thai were good-very good, direct U.K.. reasonable price) yes some well over 20 years old now, well maintained but way past there sell by date.

I feel sorry for the minority of super staff working for this Mafia run fiasco All the bosses should be sent to inactive posts. If they had their brains intact why didn't they get in to Manchester and other airports the same as the well run airlines like ET-Em-EVA-KU-TUR. etc, as I said earlier 500 flights cancelled-where have the staff gone???? pilots ???? but all the brainless board and ceo, will still have their perks and bonuses, and they will still cater for the Thai national Hi-Sos, upgrading etc, sorry NOT anti Thai Airways--BUT anti management team.:bah:

Too true ginjag! I remember flying to the US on the long haul flights to NY - they were a worry. Yes, I agree the mngmnt "team" have their heads up their backsides! I haven't used Thai Airways for a long time now and won't consider it again til' they enter the 21st century!

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

Actually you are both wrong. Most major dams are multifunctional (in order to justify the huge capital outlay).

A combination of flood-control, HEP generation, provision of irrigation, boosting transport above and below the dam by regulating the flow year round, enabling a fishing industry, stimulating tourism (gawpers and recreational users of the lake), reservoir of national pride and enormous kick backs.

The list goes on.