Retirement Visa Question

for example if i am issued a retirement visa here in thailand december 2011 with an exit stamp. i leave in march 2012 and return august 2012 is the retirement visa still valid? i guess i am asking is there any time limit/restriction when outside of thailand on the retirement visa.

There is no retirement visa so you are talking about a one year extension of stay for retirement in Dec 2011 permitting stay until Dec 2012 and you get a re-entry permit prior to leaving in Mar and return in Aug to receive permitted to stay until Dec 2012 as you originally had. There is no limitation on how long you can remain outside Thailand but you must enter before that Dec 2012 date to be allowed any stay.

There is no retirement visa so you are talking about a one year extension of stay for retirement in Dec 2011 permitting stay until Dec 2012 and you get a re-entry permit prior to leaving in Mar and return in Aug to receive permitted to stay until Dec 2012 as you originally had. There is no limitation on how long you can remain outside Thailand but you must enter before that Dec 2012 date to be allowed any stay.

thanks...

Also note on the application for reentry permit form, it asks for the dates you will be traveling outside Thailand. Don't stress on that as you can put down any dates you like as long the return date is before your current permission to stay. You are not held to the dates you write on the form, nor are they written in your passport.

Edited by Jingthing

Also note on the application for reentry permit form, it asks for the dates you will be traveling outside Thailand. Don't stress on that as you can put down any dates you like as long the return date is before your current permission to stay. You are not held to the dates you write on the form, nor are they written in your passport.

I always keep a re-entry permit in my passport, which means I apply for a new one when I do my annual retirement visa extension. I always write "unknown" in the space for planned dates of travel and have never had any problems, either.

Hello Everyone,

First off thanks to TallGuyJohn, Lopburi3, and everyone else who replied to my previous post under http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454436-notarized-letter-from-us-embassy-stating-income/

I have now rented a place in Phuket and am preparing to apply for my O-A Visa in Penang. I had considered an annual retirement extension of stay, but I read (somewhere) that if you go the full O-A route, you can import a container of your personal belongings if you get the full O-A Visa. Since I have a lot of stuff in Malaysia, I decided that it would be worth it to try for the full O-A Visa, as long as I can bring in my belongings.

I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Is it true that you can bring in a load of personal belongings one time on an O-A Visa?

2. Has anyone ever used one of the many 'Visa Services' to assist in the application? Was it worth the money? Or did the service just do what I can do myself?

3. A medical certificate is required stating that you do not have any of the 'prohibited' diseases; Tuberculosis, Elephantitis, Syphilis, Leprosy, Drug Addiction. Are there any others? Where is the official list of 'Prohibited Diseases'?

4. Anyone on the board with an O-A Visa obtained in Penang?

1. Not true, you will have to pay import dutes. Use an agent, they can negotiate a good price for you.

2. You can easily do it yourself.

3. Look at an embassy webiste, but basicly that list is it.

4. I don't think you will find many, as you must apply for an O-A visa in your home country of country of residence.

1. Not true, you will have to pay import dutes. Use an agent, they can negotiate a good price for you.

2. You can easily do it yourself.

3. Look at an embassy webiste, but basicly that list is it.

4. I don't think you will find many, as you must apply for an O-A visa in your home country of country of residence.

Mario,

Thanks for the answers.

Bill

I always keep a re-entry permit in my passport, which means I apply for a new one when I do my annual retirement visa extension. I always write "unknown" in the space for planned dates of travel and have never had any problems, either.

Hi Nancy/Jingthing,

I appreciate this is not the actual current subject point but as I am about to book flights would be grateful for comment.

I have read all the stuff on the thread ref OA & O types - I think I now understand - .enough of that.

But at the end of the day - is there any advantage for someone with an OA as opposed to and O holder?

Rgds.

FS.

Hi Nancy/Jingthing,

I appreciate this is not the actual current subject point but as I am about to book flights would be grateful for comment.

I have read all the stuff on the thread ref OA & O types - I think I now understand - .enough of that.

But at the end of the day - is there any advantage for someone with an OA as opposed to and O holder?

Rgds.

FS.

I won't write a novel here but the simple answer is yes there are advantages to the O-A:

1. For people using the bank account method (or combo) you don't need to show money in Thailand. Typically you show money in your home country.

2. With a multi-entry O-A, you can stretch that two two years before you have to apply or a retirement extension in Thailand if you exit and enter before the end of the visa's validity ... and that means two years that you wouldn't need to show bank money in Thailand (only of interest to those using a bank account method).

3. Worthless bragging rights that you have "real" retirement visa in your passport.

Value added disadvantages

1. More hassle to apply, need the medical form and police report

2. Must apply in your home country (or rare cases for perm residences of third countries)

3. If you delay getting into the retirement extension system for one or two years and they raise the financial requirements, having an O-A rather than an extension means you missed the boat for grandfathering the old lower levels.

Done.

Note to mods: this question is asked so often, perhaps a PINNED item can be created to answer the basic question, difference between using an O and an O-A for retirement. Then people asking can just be directed there. Easier?

Edited by Jingthing

Hi Nancy/Jingthing,

Rgds.

FS.

I won't write a novel here but the simple answer is yes there are advantages to the O-A:

1. For people using the bank account method (or combo) you don't need to show money in Thailand. Typically you show money in your home country.

2. With a multi-entry O-A, you can stretch that two two years before you have to apply or a retirement extension in Thailand if you exit and enter before the end of the visa's validity ... and that means two years that you wouldn't need to show bank money in Thailand (only of interest to those using a bank account method).

3. Worthless bragging rights that you have "real" retirement visa in your passport.

Value added disadvantages

1. More hassle to apply, need the medical form and police report

2. Must apply in your home country (or rare cases for perm residences of third countries)

3. If you delay getting into the retirement extension system for one or two years and they raise the financial requirements, having an O-A rather than an extension means you missed the boat for grandfathering the old lower levels.

Done.

Note to mods: this question is asked so often, perhaps a PINNED item can be created to answer the basic question, difference between using an O and an O-A for retirement. Then people asking can just be directed there. Easier?

FS

Funny you should mention the 'rare' case because that is me. I am a PR in Malaysia. Due to the situation in BKK now, I was considering getting my income affidavit issued in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This would also save me a trip to BKK, as I plan on applying for my extension of stay from Phuket immigration. I have downloaded the blank income affidavit from the US Embassy website Bangkok. But the wording I dont think is right for getting it done in Kuala Lumpur, as it says it is from the vice-consul in and for BKK. I would have to re-word that I suppose.

Does anyone know if Thai immigration will accept the income affidavit from US Embassy in Kuala Lumpur for retirement extension of stay? From what I read here, Thai Immigration is used to accepting the income affidavit from BKK embassies. I wonder if an affidavit from somewhere other than BKK embassy will cause a problem, maybe confuse them or throw them off?

Bill

As far as I know, it will have to be form the US-embassy in Thailand. They do have outreach programmes and do visit Phukket. Check their website for dates.

Mario,

That is what I suspected. Trip to BKK right now doesn't sound great! Hopefully in a few weeks it my be better.

Bill

I'm confused! Aren't you the exppanang that poated the "retirement extension of stay" yesterday at 16:44? In it you specifically stated that you were 53 and intended to use the bank deposit method and all answers provided to you on that thread addressed that method. Now, on this thread you are wanting to use the Income Affidavit from the US Embassy. If you use the Bank Deposit you don't have to come to Bangkok, if you use the income affidavit you do. For now, Bangkok is high and dry as long as you don't venture out of the "inner sanctum". The steps that you need to follow for the bank deposit were outlined on the other thread. If you wuse the Income Affidavit method, obviously they change.

As far as I know, it will have to be form the US-embassy in Thailand. They do have outreach programmes and do visit Phukket. Check their website for dates.

Mario,

That is what I suspected. Trip to BKK right now doesn't sound great! Hopefully in a few weeks it my be better.

Bill

I'm confused! Aren't you the exppanang that poated the "retirement extension of stay" yesterday at 16:44? In it you specifically stated that you were 53 and intended to use the bank deposit method and all answers provided to you on that thread addressed that method. Now, on this thread you are wanting to use the Income Affidavit from the US Embassy. If you use the Bank Deposit you don't have to come to Bangkok, if you use the income affidavit you do. For now, Bangkok is high and dry as long as you don't venture out of the "inner sanctum". The steps that you need to follow for the bank deposit were outlined on the other thread. If you wuse the Income Affidavit method, obviously they change.

Mario,

Bill

Wayne,

Yes, the post was from me.

I am still trying to decide which method is best for me, money on deposit or retirement income affidavit. I have sufficient money in a retirement account in the US. But if I apply for retirement extension of stay (done in Thailand), apparently the money will have to be withdrawn and re-deposited in a Thai bank. Since I also have a qualifying pension, perhaps it is easier/better for me to qualify on that basis. From what I read, the Income Affidavit is good for a year, meaning I can use it for my initial extension, and I suppose I don't need to show it at my 90- day reports. Then, every year I suppose I have to go to BKK for a new income affidavit.

Thought it was you. I initially used the bank deposit when I had extended for marriage purposes, but when I stopped working and actually retired, the paperwork is a lot easier, I switched from the bank deposit to the Income Affidavit. It works fine. The affidavit must be issued at the US Embassy in Bangkok, or through one of their extension service visits to various cities. Their visit schedule is posted on their website and they do come to Phuket. Currently you do not need any proof of income, it is only a swarn notarized statement about how much you make per month in USD. The form is down-loadable from the embassy website. Immigration converts it to baht using the current exchange rate on the day you apply for your extension. The amount must be at least 65000 baht per month. There are rumors, and have been for some time, that they are going to request proof, but when and what is not yet identified. Recently I have seen some posts where Thai immigration is asking for supporting documentation in addition to the letter. I extended mine in October and did not have to provide anything except the letter, If you use the Income Affidavit method obviously the money doesn't have to season so its easy to do on a single entry Non-O visa. I'd check with immigration in Phuket once you arrive and find out exactly what they require and how many copies before you do your extension. I've extended mine at twc different offices and they both required that the affidavit be issued within one month of application, other offices have different requirements so its one thing that you should verify with them in Phuket. Also be prepared to show them the proof even thought the Embassy doesn't require it.

Mario,

Bill

Wayne,

Yes, the post was from me.

I am still trying to decide which method is best for me, money on deposit or retirement income affidavit. I have sufficient money in a retirement account in the US. But if I apply for retirement extension of stay (done in Thailand), apparently the money will have to be withdrawn and re-deposited in a Thai bank. Since I also have a qualifying pension, perhaps it is easier/better for me to qualify on that basis. From what I read, the Income Affidavit is good for a year, meaning I can use it for my initial extension, and I suppose I don't need to show it at my 90- day reports. Then, every year I suppose I have to go to BKK for a new income affidavit.

Thought it was you. I initially used the bank deposit when I had extended for marriage purposes, but when I stopped working and actually retired, the paperwork is a lot easier, I switched from the bank deposit to the Income Affidavit. It works fine. The affidavit must be issued at the US Embassy in Bangkok, or through one of their extension service visits to various cities. Their visit schedule is posted on their website and they do come to Phuket. Currently you do not need any proof of income, it is only a swarn notarized statement about how much you make per month in USD. The form is down-loadable from the embassy website. Immigration converts it to baht using the current exchange rate on the day you apply for your extension. The amount must be at least 65000 baht per month. There are rumors, and have been for some time, that they are going to request proof, but when and what is not yet identified. Recently I have seen some posts where Thai immigration is asking for supporting documentation in addition to the letter. I extended mine in October and did not have to provide anything except the letter, If you use the Income Affidavit method obviously the money doesn't have to season so its easy to do on a single entry Non-O visa. I'd check with immigration in Phuket once you arrive and find out exactly what they require and how many copies before you do your extension. I've extended mine at twc different offices and they both required that the affidavit be issued within one month of application, other offices have different requirements so its one thing that you should verify with them in Phuket. Also be prepared to show them the proof even thought the Embassy doesn't require it.

Wayne,

It's interesting that the requirements that seem simple become a lot more complicated when one actually tries to figure out 'how to actually do it'. And timing is critical, i.e., the one month validity of the affadavit. And I have received other information that the extensions you get after you obtain the first conversion (valid for one year) must be done @ your 'home' immigration office, which for me apparently is Phuket. Not to mention that sometimes you get a 'rogue' officer who asks for something extra that is not mentioned in the requirements. Also, I do travel occasionally to Malaysia for business purposes. So it looks like I also need a multi-entry permit.

So my plan is the trip to BKK for the affadavit @ the US embassy will also include the initial conversion @ the BKK immigration office. Then I suppose the extensions every year can be handled in Phuket. For the 90 day checks, I guess I can use the Patong immigration office? Don't know yet. But definitely the whole process takes a lot of planning and extra copies of everything.

I will bring additional documentation of the retirement income, as I have also read that some offices/officers are starting to ask for this. I get a notice of automatic deposit every month for my pension, sort of like a pay check stub. I will have to find a way to get the most recent stub(s) from the US into my hands here in Thailand, lest they reject my additional documentation as being not current.

I suppose I have got it now. Once I initiate the process, I will do my best to report back here how things went.

Thanks again to everyone for sending your info and comments.

Bill

Funny you should mention the 'rare' case because that is me. I am a PR in Malaysia.

Not exactly, as I was clearly discussing that in the context of where to apply for O-A visas, which would be at THAI embassies (and some consulates), not USA embassies. O-A visas are available from your home country and also rarely in some cases third countries for permanent residents. I have no idea whether the Thai embassy in Malaysia issues O-A visas even to Malaysian nationals, but if so, there is a chance they would accept an application from an official permanent resident of Malaysia. I realize you have other issues and aren't very interested in the O-A anymore, so just clarifying.

Edited by Jingthing

You should get a non-O visa in Penang. When you get to Phuket go immediately to immigration and find out from them exactly what they require. Believe me, it differs between offices and sometimes between different officers in the same office! Go to Bangkok and get the affidavit from the Embassy. The notary fee is $50.00, I recently paid 1550 baht. The Embassy now requires an appointment which you can make on line, but do to the flood situation they say that they are accepting walkins and I doubt that they would turn you away . If you have checked with immigration in Phuket make sure that you ask them how long the Affidavit is valid, my office would only accept one issued within 30 days of the extension application. If you are going to claim your residence in Phuket, you have to apply for your retirement extension there, not Bangkok. At the same time that you apply for the retirement extension apply for a multiple entry re-entry permit which is vaild for the period of the extension. The extension will cost 1900 baht and the re-entry permit 3900 baht. you can get a single entry re-entry permit for 1000 baht, but I don't think that it will fulfil your requirements. There is no need to do anything at Bangkok Immigration unless Phuket tells you that you have to do it there and that is doubtful. I sort of outlined the requirements and attached it to a post on your other thread

It's interesting that the requirements that seem simple become a lot more complicated when one actually tries to figure out 'how to actually do it'. And timing is critical, i.e., the one month validity of the affadavit. And I have received other information that the extensions you get after you obtain the first conversion (valid for one year) must be done @ your 'home' immigration office, which for me apparently is Phuket. Not to mention that sometimes you get a 'rogue' officer who asks for something extra that is not mentioned in the requirements. Also, I do travel occasionally to Malaysia for business purposes. So it looks like I also need a multi-entry permit.

So my plan is the trip to BKK for the affadavit @ the US embassy will also include the initial conversion @ the BKK immigration office. Then I suppose the extensions every year can be handled in Phuket. For the 90 day checks, I guess I can use the Patong immigration office? Don't know yet. But definitely the whole process takes a lot of planning and extra copies of everything.

I will bring additional documentation of the retirement income, as I have also read that some offices/officers are starting to ask for this. I get a notice of automatic deposit every month for my pension, sort of like a pay check stub. I will have to find a way to get the most recent stub(s) from the US into my hands here in Thailand, lest they reject my additional documentation as being not current.

I suppose I have got it now. Once I initiate the process, I will do my best to report back here how things went.

Thanks again to everyone for sending your info and comments.

Bill

I understand that the visa + extension procedures seem convoluted, but I'm pretty sure once you have done it you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

The immigration officer can ask for any additional paperwork or evidence he wishes to satisfy himself that what you are claiming is true, doesn't make him "rogue", BUT he rarely does. For income he MAY ask for further proof, he MAY want you to show that you have access to a bank account somewhere. Just in case you were generating money in Thailand by working (not suggesting you will be). If no withdrawals from the 800,000 THB account he MAY ask you how you get money to live . This actually happened to me ONCE many years ago, the io asked my wife, she replied "he uses a different account" , nothing more said. BUT he probably WONT ask for more infomation.

If you arrive on a single entry "O" , 90 day stay, start the extension process 3 weeks or so before your permission to stay ends, this allows time if any additional paperwork is needed, you do not lose any time, if a one year extension is granted it is added to your permission to stay date, not from the application date. Extension applications and 90 day reports need to be done at the immigration office that covers the area you live in.

Fwiw I have been doing extensions both by marriage and retirement continuously for over 20 years and never had any problems, touch wood !!

Good luck

Edited by terryq

Terry, Wayne, Lopburi, and Jing,

Taken together all the info which you gave is the 'how to actually do it' that I put in my other post.

I really appreciate all the info about the prices, re-entry, etc. It is only because of this forum that I am even able to consider moving to Thailand.

But thanks to you and this forum, I now understand not only what the requirements are, but what I need to do, how to do it, where, and when. Nd from what I read here, getting all these right is critical.

Does anyone remember when they got their non-imm O first converted to an extension of stay, did they ask for any photos, copies of passport (cover page or all pages), or anything else? I think I will come with copies of all the standard stuff.

Bill

Yes of course you need photo(s) and passport copies as well as copies of your bank passbook if using a bank account method for extension applications. You will also need an immigration letter from your Thai bank (very fresh!) if using a bank account method for extension. The balance on the letter and your passbook must exactly match. The specific number of copies, etc. varies between immigration offices and changes over time. I suggest worrying about those small details closer to the application time and focusing on the bigger strategic decisions now.

BTW, it does indeed appear that a permanent resident of Malaysia may apply for an O-A visa at the Thai embassy in KL:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1387.php?&id=3921

If interested, you might want to ask at the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang if they accept O-A applications.

Given your unusual situation and apparent stress over some of these issues, perhaps you are someone who could benefit from going the O-A route in Malaysia. With that route, you won't need to worry about money seasoning or even having a Thai bank account if showing money and can delay worrying about applying for annual retirement extensions for TWO years if you get a multi entry, and use it correctly to get the extra "free" year.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes of course you need photo(s) and passport copies as well as copies of your bank passbook if using a bank account method for extension applications. You will also need an immigration letter from your Thai bank (very fresh!) if using a bank account method for extension. The balance on the letter and your passbook must exactly match. The specific number of copies, etc. varies between immigration offices and changes over time. I suggest worrying about those small details closer to the application time and focusing on the bigger strategic decisions now.

BTW, it does indeed appear that a permanent resident of Malaysia may apply for an O-A visa at the Thai embassy in KL:

http://www.mfa.go.th...87.php?&id=3921

If interested, you might want to ask at the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang if they accept O-A applications.

Given your unusual situation and apparent stress over some of these issues, perhaps you are someone who could benefit from going the O-A route in Malaysia. With that route, you won't need to worry about money seasoning or even having a Thai bank account if showing money and can delay worrying about applying for annual retirement extensions for TWO years if you get a multi entry, and use it correctly to get the extra "free" year.

Jing,

I guess my stress is apparent. Oh S&!#. Gotta calm down here.

When I just looked at the requirements I thought, hey, I meet all the criteria. Stress only started when I tried to figure out how and what i was going to do. haha.

Definitely O-A seems to have advantages. I suppose at it's base it is an actual quasi long term - VISA, and may carry more weight if the rules change - than an extension.

I think I am going to give the retirement extension a shot. In the end all VISA/Extensions seem to have a 90 day reporting period, and more or less one will need to repeat the yearly renewal process for all as well. So I think I'm going to try the extension route. It seems to have worked for quite a number of folks on this board, so I thnk that speaks for itself.

Again, my deepest thanks for your info.

Bill

Definitely O-A seems to have advantages. I suppose at it's base it is an actual quasi long term - VISA, and may carry more weight if the rules change - than an extension.

No, it won't. Rather, the opposite, starting with extensions, is better for you if the rules change.

As I said before if you stay in Thailand for two years on an O-A and the financial requirements are raised during that period, you will be subject to the HIGHER requirements when you start in the extension system. Those on extensions, based on historical assumptions, will be able to use the lower levels for life as long as they keep on extensions.

Good luck on your O visa and extension applications.

Edited by Jingthing

The photos and the copies are the least of the "stress" of the process of extending a 90 day O visa into a 12 month retirement extension. The Chiang Mai immigration office has a copy shop behind it. Just hand the copy lady your Immigration form and passport and she knows exactly what to copy from your passport and can take fairly flattering photos too. I did this the day before I actually visited Immigration for the first extension because of the need to get into the queue before the copy shop opened. Most immigration offices have a nearby copy shop where the staff knows exactly what needs to be copied.

Actually, getting a bank letter wasn't too hard, either, although I did stress that first time that they'd object because I got the letter the day before I went to Immigration. Again, because of the need to arrive at Immigration early to get into the queue.

So, the day I intended to get the first 12 month extension, I arrived around 7 am and joined the crowd of people shoving and jockeying for position in the "pre-queue". That was the most stressful aspect of doing that first retirement extension. You had to get at the office by 7 am to have any hope of getting a queue number when the office started handing them out around 8:15 am. If you were very early, you could get out by lunch. Otherwise, you were there all day.

Since then, Chiang Mai immigration has started an on-line queue for visa extensions that works like a charm. That has taken ALL the stress out of doing 12 month retirement extensions in Chiang Mai. You're in and out in an hour now. I like the 10 am appointment because that gives me time to get copies, photos and update my bank account passbook before the appointment.

Since then, Chiang Mai immigration has started an on-line queue for visa extensions that works like a charm. That has taken ALL the stress out of doing 12 month retirement extensions in Chiang Mai. You're in and out in an hour now. I like the 10 am appointment because that gives me time to get copies, photos and update my bank account passbook before the appointment.

Wow, that sounds nice. I hope it catches on with other Immigrations offices.

• 1 month later...

HELP !!!!

I have a Visa O-A Long Stay. Multi Entry. It was issued on 1 December 2011. It states that I must enter Thailand by 1 Dec. 2012.

Questions-

1. Assume I enter today, stay until mid 2012, then exit with plans to return (using the multi entry) at a later date. Must I return before 1 Dec. 2012 ?

if not, will the Visa become void.

2. Assume I enter on 1 Nov 2012, I will receive a stamp in my passport giving me 12 months permit to stay in Thailand i.e. until 31 Oct. 2013. Is the Visa still valid ?

3. Assume I exit again sometime before Oct 2013 and re-enter sometime in 2014, will I be given a further 12 months in my passport from that entry date ? Is the Visa still valid.

It would seem that this visa O-A does not need to be 'extended' as there is NO EXPIRY DATE in my passport, just an issued date and enter by date. Whereas Visa O does have an expiry date i.e. 12 months after issuance, and does need an 'extension'

This would infer that Visa O-A can go on indefinitely as long as one exits and re-enters, using the multiple entry permit, before 12 months have passed. I personally know a US passport holder, who applied for their Visa O-A with Multi Entry, in USA, who has never 'extended' as they go out and return within each 12 month period.

I am extremely confused about this and can get no reply from the Immigration people and there is nothing I can find on-line which addresses this question.

PLEASE can someone assist - thanks.

Edited by nal

A multiple entry O-A MULTIPLE ENTRY as you have can indeed get you an additional ONE YEAR permissions to stay EACH time your exit and reenter BEFORE 1 Dec. 2012. After that, if you wish to stay longer, you need to start applying for annual extensions to stay based on retirement at your local immigration office. The O-A is most definitely NOT an eternal visa never needing extensions. Basically, if you play your cards right, its good for about TWO years. Any story you heard differently has to be a communication breakdown. Also if you reenter after 1 Dec 2012 with your additional year permission, you will need a new reentry permit or that permission to stay will die on reentry.

Also, those still on live O-A visas or additional one year stays granted on entry are definitely still required to report every 90 day stay in Thailand at their local Thai immigration office. Immigration at the airport isn't really interested in that, but immigration offices will be when you show up for the first annual extension.

Edited by Jingthing