Thai Citizenship-

My Thai wife became a US citizen many years ago.

Now we'd like to buy some land in Thailand and maybe move back there to retire

She never declared her change of citizenship in Thailand and still has her Thai passport (expired)

Anyone know what options are open to her to hold title to land in Thailand?

She is still Thai and has full rights to land ownership. The only thing different is that you as a foreigner will have to sign that you understand the money used is hers alone and the home will not be a part of marriage shared property. She should update her ID card next time you return to Thailand and obtain a new Thai passport (believe that can be done now at a Consulate). There should be details in some earlier posts from several people who have done the process - most Consulates have the details and are helpful.

Thank you for that suggestion.

We leave for Thailand in a week so there's no time to apply for a new passport.

We were thinking of having her get a new identity card when we get to Bangkok

After that she hopefully she can apply for a passport which she can use in future to enter Thailand.

The question becomes: If she uses her Thai passport to get into Thailand, will she have trouble getting back into the United States since she won't have a visa stamp in her US passport saying she just visited Thailand

On a similar question. My sister in law married a farang years ago and changed her name on her identity card to her new married name. When they went to buy a house in Thailand about 8 years ago, the Thai authorities said she was married to a farang and couldn't own property. They ended up having to buya house but put it in the name of one of her Thai sisters.

A few years later They sold that house and moved back to the States but now are seriously thinking of retiring in Thailand but want to know if the Thai laws have eased up any

Have they become less restrictive with the rules prohibiting Thai women marrying farangs from owning land? (She also has since become a US citizen but still has her name registered at a house in Thailand)

Thai's who marry foreigners are now have total rights in respect to owning land on par with other Thai's. This is regardless of what their surname has been changed to.

As to your question on dual nationality, please see my answer in your other post, where I explain everything.

No no no! If she is a U.S. Citizen, she MUST travel on her U.S. Passport! Once she is in Thailand, nobody will care whether she has a Thai passport or not - it is her local Ampuer ID card that is of value there. Now once she is in Thailand, if she wants to travel to another country, such as Laos or Cambodia on her Thai passport and return, she can do that, but when she leaves the U.S. she must have a stamp for entry and departure to Thailand. While travelling within and around Thailand, there is no need to mention to anyone that she is a U.S. citizen.

As far as buying property, I believe Samran is right - I have heard stories about Thai women who have married farangs having trouble with property ownership, but recently my wife and I looked into purchasing property there and were told we would have no problems if we put the property in her name.

No no no!  If she is a U.S. Citizen, she MUST travel on her U.S. Passport!  Once she is in Thailand, nobody will care whether she has a Thai passport or not - it is her local Ampuer ID card that is of value there.  Now once she is in Thailand, if she wants to travel to another country, such as Laos or Cambodia on her Thai passport and return, she can do that, but when she leaves the U.S. she must have a stamp for entry and departure to Thailand.  While travelling within and around Thailand, there is no need to mention to anyone that she is a U.S. citizen.

As far as buying property, I believe Samran is right - I have heard stories about Thai women who have married farangs having trouble with property ownership, but recently my wife and I looked into purchasing property there and were told we would have no problems if we put the property in her name.

I am not sure what you are saying no about but you do not enter Thailand on a US passport and assume your ID card is a get out of jail free card. If you enter Thailand with a foreign passport you are subject to the same visa conditions of anyone else using that passport with the only exception being that you can extend your stay for one year.

As outlined many times the US requires the use of US passport to enter/exit that country. There is no exit stamp on a US passport from the US. There is no requirement for a Thai visa. If asked for proof due to non return within 30 days the Thai passport would be shown to airline when leaving the US.

At the Thai end you use the Thai passport to enter and exit. When you check in to exit you show your US passport to prove to airline you do not need a visa.

Correct.  Enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport.  Enter and leave the US on your US passport.  It's the way to do it, have done it more than a dozen times myself.

I was told specifically by a U.S. Immigrations official not to do this, but if that is wrong, I stand corrected. It wouldn't be the first time an USCIS employee gave me inaccurate information.

Correct.  Enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport.  Enter and leave the US on your US passport.  It's the way to do it, have done it more than a dozen times myself.

I was told specifically by a U.S. Immigrations official not to do this, but if that is wrong, I stand corrected. It wouldn't be the first time an USCIS employee gave me inaccurate information.

The USCIS employee did give you the wrong advice. The US allows dual citizenship and this employee should go to the US State Dept.'s website and update himself/herself. Dual nationality means two different passports and USCIS understands this. Both my wife and child are US/Thai dual nationals. My child recently became a dual national, and I spent some time discussing this with USCIS when I was in the US. Lopburi3 and Heng's advice is spot on.