Young Britons Flock To Thailand's Call-centres

Young Britons flock east to answer Thailand's call-centre crisis

An army of British workers is being recruited to staff Thailand's vast network of call centres because of a shortage of suitable candidates in the area.

In a remarkable reversal of the outsourcing that has seen thousands of jobs lost in the UK, telesales operations are looking to fill a skills gap in the east with young Britons willing to work on Thai wages.

And they are eagerly taking up the challenge. Both recent graduates and those with experience of working in British call centres are flocking to sign up for jobs in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya that pay just &350 a month.

It might not sound like much, but many are finding that they can earn enough to live on for six months or a year before heading off travelling. Indeed, a stint in the call centres followed by a period mellowing out on Krabi's beaches or touring the grand palaces is becoming the fashionable way for single young Britons to spend a gap year.

However, with surveys suggesting that Thailand's telesales industry will be short of more than 120,000 employees over the next two years, many of the newcomers are expected to stay on.

The problem has arisen because while millions of Thais aspire to work in the call centres, managements are becoming more particular about whom they hire. This follows complaints from callers in the UK about staff being unable to understand them.

There has also been a high attrition rate in many of the centres, as Thais became fed up with punishing hours and abuse from callers.

That has not put off young Britons, though. The clamour for jobs in Thailand has reached such a level that agencies have been set up to place them with Thai firms.

One is Launch Offshore, founded by Tim Bond. "People are desperate to sample a slice of another way of life," Mr Bond said. His firm has close to 100 workers in Thailand and expects to place more than 200 next year. Those who sign up are given flights out and accommodation as well as Thai wages.

Among the first to land in was Kenny Rooney, a 28-year-old from Livingston in Scotland. He had worked in a call centre at home, but after nine months in Thailand says he does not want to return. "This is an incredible country," he said, speaking from Bangkok. "I have had a brilliant time and met people from all over the world."

Further down the west coast is Phuket, a hub of the call-centre industry. Ian Hussey, a 20-year-old business studies student at Sheffield Hallam University, recently began working there. "Doing the work from the bottom up, you learn about the people and the company. It's great."

Young Britons of Thai origin are also finding the jobs offer them a chance to rediscover their roots. Among them is Katrina Patisomwat, who is also working in Phuket. "This has been the best thing I've ever done," said Ms Patisomwat, from Leicester. "It has really allowed me to see the country and get to know people. I've learned so much about myself."

Those operating the centres are delighted by the newcomers. "The cultural fit of the British works wonders. They are very enterprising. They tell me about how we can enhance what we are doing here, what we can share," said Sukaya Katomchai, head of training at Phuket call centre.

The Manfarang -- Thailand's Finest News Source

11th November 2005

Young Britons flock east to answer Thailand's call-centre crisis

An army of British workers is being recruited to staff Thailand's vast network of call centres because of a shortage of suitable candidates in the area.

In a remarkable reversal of the outsourcing that has seen thousands of jobs lost in the UK, telesales operations are looking to fill a skills gap in the east with young Britons willing to work on Thai wages.

And they are eagerly taking up the challenge. Both recent graduates and those with experience of working in British call centres are flocking to sign up for jobs in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya that pay just &350 a month.

It might not sound like much, but many are finding that they can earn enough to live on for six months or a year before heading off travelling. Indeed, a stint in the call centres followed by a period mellowing out on Krabi's beaches or touring the grand palaces is becoming the fashionable way for single young Britons to spend a gap year.

However, with surveys suggesting that Thailand's telesales industry will be short of more than 120,000 employees over the next two years, many of the newcomers are expected to stay on.

The problem has arisen because while millions of Thais aspire to work in the call centres, managements are becoming more particular about whom they hire. This follows complaints from callers in the UK about staff being unable to understand them.

There has also been a high attrition rate in many of the centres, as Thais became fed up with punishing hours and abuse from callers.

That has not put off young Britons, though. The clamour for jobs in Thailand has reached such a level that agencies have been set up to place them with Thai firms.

One is Launch Offshore, founded by Tim Bond. "People are desperate to sample a slice of another way of life," Mr Bond said. His firm has close to 100 workers in Thailand and expects to place more than 200 next year.  Those who sign up are given flights out and accommodation as well as Thai wages.

Among the first to land in was Kenny Rooney, a 28-year-old from Livingston in Scotland. He had worked in a call centre at home, but after nine months in Thailand says he does not want to return.  "This is an incredible country," he said, speaking from Bangkok. "I have had a brilliant time and met people from all over the world."

Further down the west coast is Phuket, a hub of the call-centre industry.  Ian Hussey, a 20-year-old business studies student at Sheffield Hallam University, recently began working there. "Doing the work from the bottom up, you learn about the people and the company. It's great."

Young Britons of Thai origin are also finding the jobs offer them a chance to rediscover their roots. Among them is Katrina Patisomwat, who is also working in Phuket. "This has been the best thing I've ever done," said Ms Patisomwat, from Leicester. "It has really allowed me to see the country and get to know people. I've learned so much about myself."

Those operating the centres are delighted by the newcomers. "The cultural fit of the British works wonders. They are very enterprising.  They tell me about how we can enhance what we are doing here, what we can share," said Sukaya Katomchai, head of training at Phuket call centre.

The Manfarang -- Thailand's Finest News Source

11th November 2005

25000bt per month are Thai wages? Divide by 3, or at best 2, and you're a bit closer to the mark. Do they realise that out of that they will have to pay all the associated expenses of getting visas, work permits, extentions etc? I reckon it takes a special type of person to put up with the long hours and abuse, see how long they actually last at it! The Thai are a very mild mannered people and used to working long hours, if they can't hack it then the Brits have little chance either.

Sounds like an advertorial for www.launchoffshore.com

The website is big on India recruits but no mention of Thailand. Smart players really, keep the costs down by hiring at local rates.

What is it that they actually sell to British punters anyway? :o

Just shows the mistake the Thailand Educators made in not making English mandatory 10-15 years ago.

India and Phillipines has most of the call center work,because of a larger space of english speakers.

Now they have to buy english speakers on the cheap to get into the game.

Living in Sydney I get 20 calls a week from VOIP call centers out of india selling everything from holidays to telecomms.

Sounds like an advertorial for www.launchoffshore.com

The website is big on India recruits but no mention of Thailand. Smart players really, keep the costs down by hiring at local rates.

What is it that they actually sell to British punters anyway?  :o

Don't meet minimum wage requirements for a visa does it?

Not bad for a young guy FTA, problem is they may have to compete with several others that fell off the wagon back home and doing monthly border hops to keep a visa. Bowl of rice and a few beers a day keeps many from going back home

to make a living.

If it's true... it's pathetic.

But... I think it's a pure fantasy.

If you check the website

www.launchoffshore.com

you will see that mister "Kenny Rooney" (what a joke name) has indeed a position under the sun... but in India.

And no where in the website they say that they have positions in Thailand.

The whole story is a flat pudding.

I've never heard of this publication- The Manfarang...

Niether has Google.

An unknown publication, exagerated numbers of hirees...I had no idea Thailand was such a mecca for call centres.

India, yes, we have a call centre there (pretty technical thing) but only routine work where no word is spoken. Namely, responding to dial-home calls from the machines and attending them.

No way my company would charge premium rates for support and then put customers into India to talk.

This is a spoof story,I remember reading it in an English paper word for word,except India was the country mentioned,not Thailand.

How could a British company try and set up a call center in Thailand,even the best English speakers have a problem.

Somebody's having a laugh.

Loads of call centres in India..cheap labour and all that however some British companies are relocating back to Blighty for the reasons mentioned earlier.

"see u jimmi whits the gemme wi *ucking aboot wi ma bank accoont wheres ma social"

"Sorry Sir Could you please repeat to me the level of you most welcome enquiry to the never never banking Group"...or whatever :D

Used to be a load of Boiler Houses in Bangers until their bosses got bumped off and they all moved to Spain (with their fellow Costa-mongers)

Call centres in LOS :o

The following two links are about the real story. The one posted by member fxm88 is a fake, with "India" changed to "Thailand" and, in the second link, the name of a place called "Pune" has been changed to "Phuket".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectid=10355362

http://hcilondon.net/hciserv/NewsIndex?sou...s&NewsCode=2144

Member fxm88 has been suspended for posting rubbish.

• 1 month later...

call centres :o in india its all bull shit. they cannot deal with the easiest of questions. i live in the uk and a couple of companies i call have these call centres. just the other day i call hsbc having to speak to some indian telling me what i should and shouldn't do. i only need the idiot to cancel a bill payment. :D i wasted 600baht calling them also there customer service skills are shit you might as well talk to the wall. don't we all miss the good old days. now i wonder why i smile every time i get off the plane to thailand....//edit//

Edit to remove overly strong language (believe you got your point across). Off-topic in any case - and thread closed as original post was proven to be in error.