PAD Vows To Thwart Government On Thaksin Pardon

Lite Beer

PAD vows to thwart govt on Thaksin pardon

Techawat Sukrak

The Nation on Sunday

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) vowed to exploit all legal avenues to stop the government's attempt to help ex-premier Thaksin Shinwatra, brother of Prime Minister Yingluck, escape a jail term through a royal pardon.

The PAD will gather outside the Council of State tomorrowon Monday to protest the Yingluck Cabinet's move to alter a Royal Decree concerning this year's annual pardon in order to benefit Thaksin.

PAD spokesman Panthep Puapongpan said the group would oppose the move by the Cabinet, which on Tuesday approved a draft Royal Decree for the 2011 royal pardon incorporating changes that would help Thaksin avoid serving a two-year jail sentence handed down in 2008 for a conflict-of-interest conviction in the Ratchadapisek land case.

The group will also file a complaint with the Ombudsman to seek a clarification on whether the move is unconstitutional. The PAD will also urge the Privy Council not to advise His Majesty the King to bestow a pardon until the constitutionality of the draft legislation becomes clear.

The PAD will also file a complaint with the National Counter Corruption Commission calling for legal action against the Cabinet over the move, which the alliance says is illegal.

"We hope the Cabinet reviews its draft royal pardon decree for 2011 and follows customs and the rule of law. People who deserve a pardon are those who repent and behave,'' Panthep said.

Panthep said every Royal Decree on pardons has stipulated that they only apply to those who are over 60 years old and have served jail terms over five years or one third of their sentences. The Democrat-led previous government amended the Royal Pardon Law in 2010 by incorporating Article 6(2), which stipulates that only those with no more than three years of their sentences left to serve are eligible for release.

The Yingluck government has maintained Article 6(2) because it believes it qualifies Thaksin for release. Thaksin is 62 years old and was only sentenced to a two-year jail term. Panthep said the government may remove Article 4, which stipulates that only those currently in detention are eligible for a pardon.

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang said the red shirts' vows to step up their campaign in support of the pardon would not deter his group from demonstrating its readiness to protect the monarchy.

PAD leader Pipop Thongchai called on the Council of State, the Office of His Majesty's Principle Private Secretary, the Privy Council and the military to take stands on the issue to prevent further political conflict.

Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said it was not right for the government to claim that 15 million voters support its plan to push for a pardon for Thaksin.

He said Pheu Thai's mandate was to govern the country, not to do anything it wants. Although the government has the right to amend laws, it must follow the rule of law and custom.

"The government must respect the people's feelings, the rule of law and Thai customs. Having majority support does not mean the government can pass laws that are unacceptable to the public,'' he said.

Last year's Royal Decree pardoning prisoners to mark the monarch's birthday excluded people convicted of drug trading and corruption.

Meanwhile, Udon Thani red shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana said red shirt supporters would launch a movement in support of a pardon for Thaksin and backing Yingluck in Udon Thani today (Nov20), in Khon Kaen tomorrow and in Maha Sarakham on Tuesday.

A group of 500 red shirts gathered in front of Khon Kaen City Hall yesterday and vowed to collect 50,000 signatures on a petition in support of a pardon.

More than 1,000 red shirts in Mukdahan rallied in front of the city hall there yesterday to support a pardon and give moral support to the Yingluck government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-20

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said ........Pheu Thai's mandate was to govern the country, not to do anything it wants. Although the government has the right to amend laws, it must follow the rule of law and custom."

This is something the Shinawatras and their PTP lackeys find very difficult to understand.

Like spoiled brats they think only of their own interests and desires, the good of the country running a poor second. Conflict of interest is a game plan.

"Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said ........Pheu Thai's mandate was to govern the country, not to do anything it wants. Although the government has the right to amend laws, it must follow the rule of law and custom."

This is something the Shinawatras and their PTP lackeys find very difficult to understand.

Like spoiled brats they think only of their own interests and desires, the good of the country running a poor second. Conflict of interest is a game plan.

Like spoiled brats they think only of their own interests .......nothing wrong with that.You see that everywhere in Thailand and the rest of the world.laugh.gif

]Like spoiled brats they think only of their own interests .......nothing wrong with that.You see that everywhere in Thailand and the rest of the world.laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with that?

I suppose the real question is, does your political view determine your attitude, or does your attitude determine your political view?

:whistling:

The simple way out of this mess would be for big-brother-the-fugitive to simply make a public apology, admit his errors, and humbly request a royal pardon.

But of course, big-brother-the-fugitive can't do that....because in his mind he can do no wrong...he is like God.

His own ego is his worst enemy.

That's what really brought him down, and that's what will eventually drag him under.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It's looking increasingly like we're going go back to the streets on this one, and we've been there before, pity our memories are so short.

It's shameful that this govt is putting pressure on HM to endorse something that undermines justice in the country, what is he to do?

The only thing really is for the PAD and everyone else really to make it VERY clear to PM Yingluck that she will have to face down a Ratchaprasong II. So, it's up to her to think very clearly about it. Let all the capts of industry and business forum leaders warn her about the economic consequences. Let the army suggest they 'won't get involved', let us all threaten to withhold our taxes, then let her go and suggest a 'different way' to her brother.

Personally, when a govt can willy nilly pardon and bring back to power one of the biggest criminals this country has recently seen (and I'm referring to his hand in trying to overthrow the last govt), then your argument about the coup willy nilly making the rules up, collapses. And if you think that seizing Bangkok for 9 weeks is legitimate because the Abhisit govt was against the spirit of democracy, then you've given the PAD a licence to do exactly the same when this govt tosses the spirit of the law in the dustbin.

I am absolutely in favor of conflicts being resolved in democratic ways. However with the PAD getting ready to protest, and the reds mobilising, and some stating that they are willing to die to allow Thaksin to return. I feel that a coup is imminent, to avoid the most amount of bloodshed. Shame on this government for bringing us back to this. I just hope they can make some responsible decisions in the next few days to avoid any more damage to this already fragile country.

The Yingluck government has maintained Article 6(2) because it believes it qualifies Thaksin for release. Thaksin is 62 years old and was only sentenced to a two-year jail term. Panthep said the government may remove Article 4, which stipulates that only those currently in detention are eligible for a pardon.

I wonder how many other fugitives the removal of article 4 will apply to.

As I have posted before my maid's brother is one of the ring leaders of the red mob of thugs here in Udon Thani. By the way she hates this group. This morning she said they had a meeting last night planning their rally today and also making plans to gather up the mob and head to Bangkok when the rallies start there. About 80% of the rice harvest is finished here so now the farmers are looking for income. It's deja vu all over again. So much for the Yingluck government plan for reconciliation.

As I have posted before my maid's brother is one of the ring leaders of the red mob of thugs here in Udon Thani. By the way she hates this group. This morning she said they had a meeting last night planning their rally today and also making plans to gather up the mob and head to Bangkok when the rallies start there. About 80% of the rice harvest is finished here so now the farmers are looking for income. It's deja vu all over again. So much for the Yingluck government plan for reconciliation.

Isn't she the HEAD RED SHIRT?

I am absolutely in favor of conflicts being resolved in democratic ways. However with the PAD getting ready to protest, and the reds mobilising, and some stating that they are willing to die to allow Thaksin to return. I feel that a coup is imminent, to avoid the most amount of bloodshed. Shame on this government for bringing us back to this. I just hope they can make some responsible decisions in the next few days to avoid any more damage to this already fragile country.

THEY HAVE NO SHAME. They are trying to figure out how to make money on the flood.

Like spoiled brats they think only of their own interests .......nothing wrong with that.You see that everywhere in Thailand and the rest of the world.laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with that?

I suppose the real question is, does your political view determine your attitude, or does your attitude determine your political view?

Here in Thailand for most Thai's, the answer is an resounding YES

Good point! :clap2:

Figuratively, I would agree, although, literally, she had no qualms attending Red Shirt rallies with her banned TRT MP older sister (left) and her impeached PTP MP niece (center).

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

To overcome this proposed pardon by claiming it is not legal will be a difficult argument to win, partly because the whole idea of the Royal Pardon is it is seperate from the law. Also it looks like the government is being very careful to ensure that they are legal on this - the Justice Ministry panel to look at legal aspects and then Council of State to look at constitutional issues.

The biggest culprit here for giving the proposals legal tenure is the previous administration who either through short-sightedness, incompetence or brilliant political foresight set this whole situation up. It is them that removed the stipulation in the 2007 pardon decree that required a third of the sentence to have been served and then added the exemption for corruption offences. They couldn't have made it much easier for the current government and set the very clear example that the rules can be changed for political means. It seems rather obvious that the corruption exemption was put in place to prevent the previous pardon applying to Thaksin so the now argue that the current lot are manipulating the procedure because of one person sounds a bit hollow.

If Thaksin were pardoned and came back to Thailand, wouldn't he then face charges for not appearing in court, terrorism and other corruption charges? He can't be pardoned for those crimes as they haven't gone through the courts yet.

I say, pardon him and let him return, then arrest him and throw him in jail for his other crimes.

Figuratively, I would agree, although, literally, she had no qualms attending Red Shirt rallies with her banned TRT MP older sister (left) and her impeached PTP MP niece (center).

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Nice upstanding and salt of the earth family. The kind you would want as next door neighbors. One banned from politics, one impeached from politics, one fugitive from justice and one clone of the fugitive from justice.

Edited by pimay11

If Thaksin were pardoned and came back to Thailand, wouldn't he then face charges for not appearing in court, terrorism and other corruption charges? He can't be pardoned for those crimes as they haven't gone through the courts yet.

I say, pardon him and let him return, then arrest him and throw him in jail for his other crimes.

If he gets this pardon and returns, I doubt any of his other charges will make it to court. He certainly won't spend any time in jail until any verdicts are given.

Not sure which things he is hoping to get pardoned for but in regard to all the other charges he may be facing on his return.

What if the ministry of justice decided to drop all those??

Wouldn`t he come back with a pardon and not have to face any other charges??

Not sure which things he is hoping to get pardoned for but in regard to all the other charges he may be facing on his return.

What if the ministry of justice decided to drop all those??

Wouldn`t he come back with a pardon and not have to face any other charges??

Let's face the facts guys and girls. If he is pardoned and comes back there won't be any more jail time for him. Everyone knows he will manipulate the justice ministry and courts just like he did in the past to his advantage. Example is the "he was elected by 16 million people" argument in the constitunal court and found not guilty of an "honest mistake" Never mind applying the law to the decision.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Nice upstanding and salt of the earth family. The kind you would want as next door neighbors. One banned from politics, one impeached from politics, one fugitive from justice and one clone of the fugitive from justice.

Yeah, and the funny part is they're all more popular than the leader of the opposition. ;)

What I find exceptionally funny, is that the PAD is talking about "laws" and "democracy"! Here something to think about for you: do not do to others, what you don't want to have done to yourself!

I did not realize that the PAD was still in existence. My advice: Treat them like Abhisit treated the red shirts. Don't use live firing zone though and no army, just the police with batons will do. They do not have much support anyhow, their vote "no" campaign even resulted in less spoiled votes than in previous elections. Treat the PAD like a militia that want to overthrow a democratically elected government, if I am not mistaken this government has a 2/3 majority. The fact that PAD is almost dead is clearly seen in the numbers that attended their mass rally yesterday. Acoording real sources the numbers were between 500 and 700. To see the PAD numbers in the right perspective. Their is still a petition that is shelved by the anti Democrat Party to pardon Thaksin and that has millions of signatures.

Did you say the government has a plan besides get Thaskin back

He said her brother not her husband !!!!!

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

]

Yeah, and the funny part is they're all more popular than the leader of the opposition. ;)

Partly correct. More popular to some but it's not really funny for the country as a whole. It just proves that you can fool all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time. Their support base consists mostly of the ultra rich cronies and the poor that have been duped into thinking that support will turn into riches. Living in Isaan for many years I recognized a long time ago that politicans including the local ones care absolutely nothing about the poor. They only care about inriching themselves at the expense of the poor. This includes the current government. They make big promises during the campaign and convince the populace if they vote for them they will be rich. Case in point "if we are elected you will be rich in six months". Unfortunately due to the massave voter base here in Issan being uneducated they fall for this. These people are my friends and neighbors and I feel so bad for them for being duped into believing this rubbish. Many of the poor farmers are now deeper in debt because of the million Baht village scheme and have no way to pay the money back. Just another example of the Thaksin vote buying scheme. But being a farang and a guest in this country I cannot get involved and try to do anything about it.

But there is hope. What goes around comes around! You reap what you sow. Karma as it is known here in the LOS.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

While the two others weigh more than the leader of the opposition, I haven't seen any poll or specific evidence to indicate that those two are more popular.

Edited by Buchholz