Five More Held By Police Over Robbery At Supoth's Mansion

webfact

Five more held by police over robbery at Supoth's mansion

The Nation

30170288-01_big.jpg

Bt16m seized amid claims of plot to expose official's 'crimes'

Three more men have been arrested and two surrendered yesterday - including the alleged mastermind - after a gang broke into the home of the top Transport Ministry official last week and made off with millions of baht.

The money was part of more than Bt1 billion that the suspects claim to have found at the home of Transport permanent secretary Supoth Sablom.

Somboon Riyaten, 40, reported to police in Chiang Rai, while Wanankrit Butkanha, 40, Bunseub Jomkan, 44, and Wuthichai Panthawari, 33, were arrested and some Bt16.5 million seized, police said yesterday.

The alleged ringleader, Chayathat Jannachai, 34, also turned himself in to police along with his mother, Chutima Janphong, who previously served as Supoth's secretary.

Both were questioned by police, but Chayathat reportedly denied any wrongdoing. Police sources said Chayathat was angry with Supoth, who allegedly fired Chutima six months ago. They believe he plotted the burglary to expose Supoth.

Earlier, two other men were arrested with gold and cash worth almost Bt3 million. They told police they believed more than Bt1 billion - assumed to be ill-gotten - was stashed at Supoth's mansion.

Police believe more than 10 people were involved in the crime.

They said they had been contacted by Lersak Wiriyakrasap, 51, from Kanchanaburi, about turning in Bt1.5 million in cash that he was holding on request for one of the burglars.

Pol General Panupong Singhara, a deputy police chief, said that four men had confessed to conspiring to do the robbery and that four others were still at large - Weerasak Chualee, 36, one of the suspected gang leaders, Pongsak Namwong, 35, Kamnuan Meknoi, 38, and Prapan Ruangkrua, 32.

Panupong said the gang leader had divided the stolen money up among many people in various places. Police have publicly announced that anyone keeping money for the gang to return it to police or face legal action.

Panupong said Chayatat, 33, had been the key police informant. He surrendered late yesterday.

Police found that Chayatat, who was close to Bunseub, had asked Bunseub to recruit members to take part in the crime. Bunseub contacted the gang leader to search for more men.

Panupong said police had not found any evidence implicating state officials, but did find that one of the suspects, Singthong, alias Seh Kai, was often called by gang members as Seh, denoting a military rank, even though he was not a military official.

Somboon said he was a farmer in Chiang Rai and approached by Singthong to do some work in Bangkok. He said he accepted the job, without knowing it was to rob Supoth's house.

He only knew about the burglary when he and five others broke into Supot's house. He said he went into the living room and saw three paper boxes in the closet with a lot of money. He took one box, which contained Bt3 million in cash, and saw two bags in a trolley, which he believed were filled with cash.

He said Weerasak, the gang leader, asked for Bt50,000 out of the Bt3 million he got from the box before they fled.

Following last week's break-in at his Bangkok home, Supoth was transferred to an inactive post on Friday. He is now the subject of probes into his wealth by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

A Transport Ministry source said the break-in at Supoth's house was plotted by a former official upset at Supoth for transferring her to an inactive post at the Highways Department. The angry ex-official who later left the post was allegedly a close aide who knew Supoth "inside out". The pair had conflicts later.

"Many people believe the conflict between the two made the ex-official plot the burglary to expose Supoth's [alleged] wrongdoings. The burglars accepted to commit the crime, as they believed they would only be jailed a few years [if caught]. The burglary would link those involved with the money,'' the source alleged.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-21

Related story:

NACC Investigates Transport Min's Permanent Secretary's Assets After Being Robbed of Bt200 Million

I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding. The original B5 million that Supoth reported missing was, as claimed, his wedding gift and dowry for his daughter.

The other B16 million (or thereabouts) was a wedding gift from Potjaman. I'm not quite sure how the secretary, the maid and the chauffeur fit in the picture (on the groom's side?) but I'm sure a (semi-)plausible explanation will be worked out eventually.

He should have been wise enough not to report the burglary to the authorities. By reporting the crime, which no wise crook would do, he simply played into the hands of the perpetrators. All the same, let's wait and see where this whole charade will lead to.

He should have been wise enough not to report the burglary to the authorities. By reporting the crime, which no wise crook would do, he simply played into the hands of the perpetrators. All the same, let's wait and see where this whole charade will lead to.

I read somewhere that his maids called the police.

Due to an insider who arranged that it could also be that they arranged for the police to come, while diverting as much money they could for later proof in case of "sir acrobat" had a way to avert that.

Strange that the lady got only sacked recently, but the house nearby was rented about a year ago.

Edited by elcent

I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding. The original B5 million that Supoth reported missing was, as claimed, his wedding gift and dowry for his daughter.

The other B16 million (or thereabouts) was a wedding gift from Potjaman. I'm not quite sure how the secretary, the maid and the chauffeur fit in the picture (on the groom's side?) but I'm sure a (semi-)plausible explanation will be worked out eventually.

This dude is not close to PTP. I think most people are fully aware of which party selected him

By the way, there is intense, very intense interest in this case. It wont be easy to just disappear it. People get exploited by unelected bureaucrats far far more than by polticians of any description and right across the poltical spectrum people would enjoy seeing some punished

Oh man, this is my new favorite Thailand story. This is so funny that words almost fail me. Just another corrupt government official, with umpteen million baht sitting in his closet from various shakedowns. Guess he was afraid to put it in the bank where the government might see it, and ask the classic question about " unusual wealth". Such as how did he accumulate such wealth on his 100,000 baht a month salary....... Guess he was too stupid to invest in a good safe !!! :jap:

Thailand really does need to do something about corruption, or it will remain a nation of peasants whose wealth is being stripped off by the wealthy elite like this guy. Sometimes makes me want to puke.....

This dude is not close to PTP. I think most people are fully aware of which party selected him

By the way, there is intense, very intense interest in this case. It wont be easy to just disappear it. People get exploited by unelected bureaucrats far far more than by polticians of any description and right across the poltical spectrum people would enjoy seeing some punished

He has been senior administration since 2001, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about his political leanings.

OTOH he wasn't replaced, but he's not close - maybe he just bunged the boss a few spare million from under the bed.

This is a good example how corrupted that PT govt is over a short period of only 3 months.

This is a good reason why PT must not be put in power.

NO. This is a good example of how biased and wrong you are. Do you know what a Permanent Secretary is? The gentleman served in the previous Democrat and military junta administrations. He continued in his job because the PTP could not sack everyone or else people like you would have been up in arms screaming about vindictiveness. On the contrary, this is a good example of why the Democrats had to be removed from power, because he was one of their appointees. Yes, an appointee, as his position had to be reconfirmed by the former Abhisit administration.

Good work. Don't let the truth interfere with your spreading of falsehoods.

Will you be retracting your statement and apologizing?

This is a good example how corrupted that PT govt is over a short period of only 3 months.

NO. This is a good example of how biased and wrong you are. Do you know what a Permanent Secretary is? The gentleman served in the previous Democrat and military junta administrations. He continued in his job because the PTP could not sack everyone or else people like you would have been up in arms screaming about vindictiveness. On the contrary, this is a good example of why the Democrats had to be removed from power, because he was one of their appointees. Yes, an appointee, as his position had to be reconfirmed by the former Abhisit administration.

Your first experience with Thai sarcasm? I'm sure you've seen it before under this posters many previous guises.

The money was part of more than Bt1 billion that the suspects claim to have found at the home of Transport permanent secretary Supoth Sablom.

That is a lot of cream of the top of public money. Maybe he just didn't trust the people in his office so he simply took it home for safe keeping.

one more arrest and another main suspect may be hiding in Laos.

A suspect in the alleged burglary of the Bangkok home of Transport Ministry permanent secretary Suphoth Sublom has contacted police to discuss surrendering, a senior police officer said yesterday.

Praphan Ruengkhrua said he was in possession of Bt9 million in cash allegedly stolen from Suphoth's house, Pol Maj-General Ronnasil Phoosara said.

The main suspect, alleged ringleader Weerasak Chuele, is believed of having more than 60 million in his possession while on the run.

one more arrest and another main suspect may be hiding in Laos.

A suspect in the alleged burglary of the Bangkok home of Transport Ministry permanent secretary Suphoth Sublom has contacted police to discuss surrendering, a senior police officer said yesterday.

Praphan Ruengkhrua said he was in possession of Bt9 million in cash allegedly stolen from Suphoth's house, Pol Maj-General Ronnasil Phoosara said.

The main suspect, alleged ringleader Weerasak Chuele, is believed of having more than 60 million in his possession while on the run.

actually not arrested yet, but negotiating a surrender. It could well be that he's arrested by now though.

Oh man, this is my new favorite Thailand story. This is so funny that words almost fail me. Just another corrupt government official, with umpteen million baht sitting in his closet from various shakedowns. Guess he was afraid to put it in the bank where the government might see it, and ask the classic question about " unusual wealth". Such as how did he accumulate such wealth on his 100,000 baht a month salary....... Guess he was too stupid to invest in a good safe !!! :jap:

Thailand really does need to do something about corruption, or it will remain a nation of peasants whose wealth is being stripped off by the wealthy elite like this guy. Sometimes makes me want to puke.....

Could be he would have had to have a side wall of his house ripped out so he could get a safe big enough inside to hold the money, making things very noticeable :lol: :lol:

MYSTERIOUS CASH

Another suspect in Suphoth case contacts police

The Nation

30170363-01_big.jpg

Seven suspects are already in custody.

Another suspect still at large, alleged ringleader Weerasak Chuelee, is believed to have fled to Laos. Thai and Lao police are searching for him, Ronnasil said.

Suspect Chayathat Jannachai, 34, who turned himself in to police late Sunday night with his mother Chutima Janphong, earlier claimed to be the ringleader. Police have not clarified whether they believe he or Weerasak is the ringleader.

Ronnasil said that after further questioning of Chutima - a former secretary of Suphoth - police do not believe she was involved in the alleged burglary, but had merely complained to Chayathat about Suphoth's alleged mistreatment of her. Chutima told police she was forced to take early retirement six months ago.

Chayathat has admitted giving details about Suphoth's house to the other members of the alleged gang but had not participated in the alleged burglary, Ronnasil said.

Another senior officer, Pol Colonel Nanthachart Suphamongkhol, said suspects in custody told police that Weerasak had more than Bt60 million in cash with him while on the run.

There are now seven suspects in custody and four at large, including Weerasak and Praphan. Arrest warrants have been issued for those not in custody.

A total of Bt16 million in cash and other belongings have been seized from the seven suspects in custody.

Suphoth told police that he had lost around Bt5 million in the November 12 burglary.

Four suspects were yesterday detained at the Criminal Court after it heard indictments in which they are accused of armed burglary, coercion, carrying firearms without sufficient reason, and possession of stolen items.

Police have not questioned Suphoth further after his initial statement, but are waiting for preliminary conclusions from probes by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) into his alleged failure to declare assets equalling the amount allegedly stolen from his home.

Acting AMLO secretary-general Seehanart Prayoonrat said criminal charges could be filed against Suphoth if there was evidence that he had Bt1 billion in undeclared assets - as alleged initially by the first two suspects to be arrested - without that much having been seized.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-22

From what I know the man was appointed to that position in 2001.

Trolls don't retract statements or apologise.

This just gets better by the day !!!! So according to the news, another robber with 60 million baht on him...... I suppose Supoth is regretting saying only 5 million baht is missing. Or he basically has so much money stashed away he actually does not know how much is missing ! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Of course this will be bonanza time for the police, if you give the matter a bit of thought. Since Supoth is sticking by his idiotic story of only losing 5 million baht, while at the same time police are taking in suspects with umpteen million baht, it is simple enough for the police to simply hold a press conference, hand him back his 5 million baht and keep the difference ! :jap: I bet the mia nois of ranking policeman are already picking out new Mercedes cars.

Remember this is a country where the head policeman of the entire country was having people killed over the blue diamond affair. So actually anything is possible. Please please please ThaiVisa, keep track of this story and post updates.....

Trolls don't retract statements or apologise.

I don't agree that Mark govt, or any person he appointed is corrupted, as all of them are carefully screen by the ultra smart Oxford trainned gentleman.

So you are sayer that the worser should sack the bad, to allow in more corruption.

In my opinion, YS govt did not sack this man because they are in bed together (not literary), i.e. He supply a cut to the real big boss, who could be the big bad wolf Thaksin himself.