0Ver 23 Kms Per Litre

Banzai99

I did a economy driving run today when I went to Pattaya from Loei, seldom broke the speed limit, aircon on 2 or 3 clicks up, using E20 fuel. Over 23 Kms per Litre in the 2 year old Honda City, car readout says 23.5 Kpl.

Bit different to the Fortuner that does 11 Kpl or once when I did an economy run, 12.8 Kpl, considering E20 is only 1 Baht more expensive than Diesel, the Honda City is cheap motoring for sure.

Comparing the 2 for a long drive, City is probably more comfortable, the brakes are better by far, the handling is better by far, but then when it comes to rough potholed roads the City falls behind the Fortuner, plus of course nobody gets out of the way for a City and people will pull out more than they would pull out in front of a Fortuner.

All in all a great little car, and very economical on a run, I left the Fortuner in Loei and took the wifes car instead as its only done 12000 Kms in over 2 years and I thought I would work the engine a bit, I am glad I did.

Another bonus is I drove much slower than I do when in the Tuna, so less stress. biggrin.gif

I thought optimum speed was approximately 85kmph, so not really that slow. 630km is about 7hr30m. Sounds like he left the wife at home so no need to stop for food every hour.

Any slower than that and you start to lose economy, or so I thought.

I thought optimum speed was approximately 85kmph, so not really that slow. 630km is about 7hr30m. Sounds like he left the wife at home so no need to stop for food every hour.

Any slower than that and you start to lose economy, or so I thought.

There's absolutely no way he averaged anything like 85 KMH from Pattaya to Loei if only maintaining the speed limit (90) when possible..

I never mentioned average speed.

I just mentioned the economy.

I never actually timed the run but will in a few weeks when I go back, I did average 85 Kph once on the same run in the Tuna, but I was doing 160 in some places, TODAY I rarely went over the speed limit and I guess my average was around 65 Kph. I left at 5.30 am and I didn't see heavy traffic until up and over the mountain on the 304, and of course Chonburi/Pattaya which is always a pain.

The idea was to see how the car would perform when driven soft, it done well, it wasn't a race, it was economy.

No speculations, no wild claims, it is what it is.

It was probably around about a 9 hour trip.

Edited by Banzai99

I love it

23km/liter is better than Honda has ever achieved during 3 million test km. You must be one hellofadriver :lol:

how about forgetting the dash figures and measure you real fuelconsumption. Its done by filling up 100% 3 times, check the liters and see how many km it returns

ecocar makers really struggle to manage requirements of 20km/liter. you have something to teache them :rolleyes:

I love it

23km/liter is better than Honda has ever achieved during 3 million test km. You must be one hellofadriver :lol:

how about forgetting the dash figures and measure you real fuelconsumption. Its done by filling up 100% 3 times, check the liters and see how many km it returns

ecocar makers really struggle to manage requirements of 20km/liter. you have something to teache them :rolleyes:

Jesus <deleted> Christ, it wasn't a scientific experiment, I am just reporting what is on the dash figures. ohmy.gif

You want a photo ????

Edited by Banzai99

I love it

Jesus <deleted> Christ, it wasn't a scientific experiment, I am just reporting what is on the dash figures. ohmy.gif

You want a photo ????

No thanks, But I like real world figures, not dash figures :D

I am quiet sure I can make the meter read 25km/liter, but it still needs 800-1000 liter to cover 10.000km. Its a 120hp petrol city for christ sake :rolleyes:

I guess my average speed was 65 Kph. Time n distance gives you average speed , cant not mention it You are a brave Man telling the Truth about a Tuna Ride, on the Mountain Run you mentioned my Wife was regularly sick from the Swaying in the Spivo . Dont take this lot seriously to some its Rocket Science not just Fun. When the Spivo departed the Average speed do dah read 12 . 7..No idea why so lo. I've made a Manual City go past the 200 Klik mark, handled perfectly by Swampy, and it stops Dam Quick too.coffee1.gif.Great Car IMO.

I love it

You want a photo ????

No thanks, But I like real world figures, not dash figures :D

I am quiet sure I can make the meter read 25km/liter, but it still needs 800-1000 liter to cover 10.000km. Its a 120hp petrol city for christ sake :rolleyes:

It wasn't a 10,000 Kms test, it was a deliberate run on quiet roads to see how economically I could run.

I am driving up to Bangkok today and I am in Pattaya, no doubt the dash figure will go down drastically as I have no intention of driving at under 2000 RPM at every opportunity.

I'm sure you are right and the Honda meter figures mean nothing.

I'll be driving back in a few weeks or so, I'll fill it up to the brim before I go, then fill it up to the brim when I arrive and calculate it that way, I will also try not to exceed 2000 RPM again, again this is not an average fuel consumption for everyday driving, it was a deliberate run to max the economy.

I have done exactly the same trip a few times in a 1 year old Honda City and also had excellent fuel consumption. Even though it's pedal to metal most of the way. I try to be conservative when driving long distances, but can't seem to help myself when on open traffic free roads.

I love the Honda City only three complaints. 1) too much road noise on open roads. 2) gear ratios too high 3) Becoming common, especially in Loei.

Point 3 I don't really care about and for a cheap car they are excellent.

I've got a Honda City and you should never just read out the figure from the trip meter. Trust me, it'll get nowhere near 23km/l - the average is skewed because of coast-down mode (all cars since the 90s do this) where the ECU detects the engine load and shuts off the fuel. The engine may be at 2-3000rpm, the car is in gear, moving at speed but no fuel is being used so the trip-computer goes haywire 9999km/l. It's like Bill Gates walking into your office; suddenly the 'average net-worth' of someone in your office is in the $billions, averages don't tell the whole story. The algorithm used by the trip computer isn't based on how much fuel is actually consumed. I don't know the name of such a device that does measure fuel but saw one on a video on the Chevrolet.com website - it's huge and expensive - maybe more knowledgeable members like MRO or TBB might shed some like on these. The in-car trip computer somehow calculates the economy reading based on engine rpm, maybe the airflow past the mass airflow sensor, or the manifold vacuum, I don't know and it's not accurate under coasting conditions. To report fuel economy you should look at the liters pumped into the tank divided by the km on the odometer. Doing it this way, my car gets 11-13km/l in city driving and I've measured up to 17km/l highway.