PAD: Pracha Statement Convinced Us To Cancel Rally

webfact

Pracha statement convinced us to cancel rally, PAD says

The Nation

30170347-01_big.jpg

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) called off its planned rally against a move to seek a royal pardon for Thaksin Shinawatra because the government made clear there was no such effort to help the former PM, spokesperson Panthep Puapongpan said yesterday.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok announced earlier that fugitive Thaksin would not benefit from the draft Royal Decree seeking pardons for offenders on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s birthday, so the PAD saw no point to continue with the rally, he said.

Pracha told a press conference on Sunday the draft Royal Decree for 2012 used the same wording as the decree enacted by former justice minister Piraphan Saliratwipak of the Democrat Party-led government a year ago.

Thaksin was sentenced to two years jail for abuse of power, for allowing his wife to buy a plot of land from a state agency at a price said to be below market value, but fled abroad to avoid having to go to jail.

"Convicts on the run will not be eligible," Pracha said.

The PAD said it did not believe what Pracha said but as there was no clear evidence suggesting otherwise and no independent figure who had seen the draft, the PAD would give the government a chance to prove it was telling the truth.

If the document was submitted to the Council of State, the govern?ment's legal advisory body, the PAD may have a chance to see the content of the draft to verify that Thaksin would not really benefit, Panthep said.

The PAD believed that Thaksin, Pracha and the government know very well that any move to help the former PM would trigger conflict within the country and that would eventually affect Yingluck Shinawatra's government, he said.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said Thaksin wrote an open letter asking the government not to seek a royal pardon for him, as he did not want to see any more conflict in the country.

The former premier might feel he did not receive fair treatment but he did not want his case to cause more conflict in the country either, Noppadon said.

Justice Minister Pracha said he had made clear to public that the royal pardon draft was never done for Thaksin. In fact the royal par?don for inmates on the good occa?sion of HM the King's birthday should be done in quiet manner in order to protect prisoners but if the public questioned the move, the government needed to explain, he said.

"What I should tell the public, I have already said. The news (of Thaksin's pardon) over the past days is absolutely your (media) imagina?tion. You dreamt about it and woke up to make noise," Pracha said.

Opposition MPs intend to question the minister in the House of Representatives on the matter on Sunday and his alleged mismanagement of the distribution of survival packs for flood victims.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-22

"What I should tell the public, I have already said. The news (of Thaksin's pardon) over the past days is absolutely your (media) imagina?tion. You dreamt about it and woke up to make noise," Pracha said.

I think they used the same trick on the final episode of "Newhart".Very clever, Emily is that you?huh.gif

So the secret Cabinet plan, which the public aren't supposed to be allowed to debate, generates a serious public-reaction & is then withdrawn and denied. Then everybody concerned denies that it ever existed, or they knew nothing about it, or that they're too busy working on the floods.

The PAD withdraw the threatened rally, just in time, and go back to their dugouts.

A victory for Red Reconciliation and common-sense ! Until the next blatant attempt to pervert the rule-of-law and justice. B)

Pracha Promnok - Wasn't this the guy who, as the head of FROC, gave us conflicting and often unreliable information about the flood situation. Are we to believe him NOW? Or should we to be stupid enough to believe "cry wolf" for the second time around?

So the secret Cabinet plan, which the public aren't supposed to be allowed to debate, generates a serious public-reaction & is then withdrawn and denied. Then everybody concerned denies that it ever existed, or they knew nothing about it, or that they're too busy working on the floods.

The PAD withdraw the threatened rally, just in time, and go back to their dugouts.

A victory for Red Reconciliation and common-sense ! Until the next blatant attempt to pervert the rule-of-law and justice. B)

Unfortunately this is not the end - they will try again.

Yes, but don't leave out the possibility of the following:

A few billion baht that was destined to pay for salaries and supplies for the red army was stolen just days before this whole secret pardon was implemented. Without the resources to back up the pardon attempt with violent red thugs, there was not much chance of success.

Of course, that is highly speculative, but that doesn't mean there isn't a chance it is true. I don't believe the whole thing by the square faced demagogue was withdrawn simply because of public reaction, which would have been obvious to anyone with 2 neurons to press together. The above may not be true, but if it is it would imply some very good intelligence on the part of the anti-Thaksin forces, and that Thaksin was unable to recover from it in time to get this pardon rammed down people's throats this year. It may even explain why the whole thing was done in secret. Once they realized they didn't have the money to support this in the open, it was the only chance remaining.

In any case, the country is lucky that the attempt to thwart justice failed for whatever reason and the fugitive remains in exile.

Really? I thought the real reason was, PAD did a head count of potental supporter, and they could not gather double digits aye.

Not really. Unlike the Reds who 'rally' anytime for the slightest reason because they're mostly jobless, the PAD have pretty focused on what they're protesting about. This rally was about Thaksin's pardon. Since they're supposedly not going to pardon him anymore, why stage a protest?

Really? I thought the real reason was, PAD did a head count of potental supporter, and they could not gather double digits aye.

Not really. Unlike the Reds who 'rally' anytime for the slightest reason because they're mostly jobless, the PAD have pretty focused on what they're protesting about. This rally was about Thaksin's pardon. Since they're supposedly not going to pardon him anymore, why stage a protest?

I remember all the Prada and Gucci bags on all the Hi- So elite demonstrators that occupied the government house and Swampy! Demonstrating in style...not like those jobless people with the reds!

Oh...and you should get a life!

I remember all the Prada and Gucci bags on all the Hi- So elite demonstrators that occupied the government house and Swampy! Demonstrating in style...not like those jobless people with the reds!

Well for free food, you can get a lot of jobless Reds out there to protest. Don't even need 500 baht.

Get a life? That's the best insult you can come up with? You're pathetic.

Really you're pathetic.

Well for free food, you can get a lot of jobless Reds out there to protest. Don't even need 500 baht.

Get a life? That's the best insult you can come up with? You're pathetic.

Really you're pathetic.

I may be pathetic. But at least I am no troll, who is just throwing around insults and baseless accusations. And I am not blind on one eye! That's what I am not..as pathetic as I might be! But you...still need to get a life!

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday confirmed the government would enact a legislation to restore justice for "everyone", including former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Right timing is the key to issue an act of Parliament for all parties (involved in the political turbulence)," he said.

Chalerm said the government would await for the work completion by the Truth for Reconciliation Commission before deciding the next step.

He said he believed the legislation to grant amnesty to all parties involved in the political conflict would not be opposed.

The Nation

November 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday confirmed the government would enact a legislation to restore justice for "everyone", including former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Right timing is the key to issue an act of Parliament for all parties (involved in the political turbulence)," he said.

Chalerm said the government would await for the work completion by the Truth for Reconciliation Commission before deciding the next step.

He said he believed the legislation to grant amnesty to all parties involved in the political conflict would not be opposed.

The Nation

November 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I think that's something that will bring out the PAD ... and probably the red shirts. The red shirts don't want Abhisit to get amnesty.

How would you or demonstrator know a real Prada and Gucci bag?

I known if you had the money you will not known even where to get a real one.

As a teacher you lucky you can buy 30 bath food on the street.

How would you or demonstrator know a real Prada and Gucci bag?

I known if you had the money you will not known even where to get a real one.

As a teacher you lucky you can buy 30 bath food on the street.

...and your point is?

I may be pathetic. But at least I am no troll, who is just throwing around insults and baseless accusations. And I am not blind on one eye! That's what I am not..as pathetic as I might be! But you...still need to get a life!

How do you know the accusations are baseless? And yes I'm blind in one eye because I truly despise the Reds. Likewise, your constant need to defend them even when they're wrong makes you blind in one eye also. Anyway, it's great you admit what a pathetic thing you are. Bravo!

From the new story in the OP:

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok announced earlier that fugitive Thaksin would not benefit from the draft Royal Decree seeking pardons for offenders on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s birthday, so the PAD saw no point to continue with the rally, he said.

That was on Sunday. Since then, Cabinet apparently held a confidential meeting on Tuesday, which I take to mean today, Tuesday November 22nd, and the final text of the decree may well be different from what it was on Sunday. If I were to venture a guess I would say that it was changed in such way as not to exclude persons convicted for corruption.