Cm Immigration Proof Of Income

BB1955

Well today I went to extend my visa . I brought all the same documents I brought last year . My affidavit I got today from the US consulate which stated my monthly income which I also brought along . This year they wanted more . I needed a letter from my retirement fund as well showing I did in fact have the income I was claiming on the affidavit . I had my bank book showing my transfers but this would not suffice. I was fortunate enough to have a letter with what they wanted . So looks like the old days of just getting a affidavit from the US consulate and them excepting it are over . I asked next year I can just bring the letter and not get the affidavit from my embassy and was told I would need that as well . The officer was very nice I will say and very helpful we had one other issue with our home lease and she helped us take care of that . It was a mad house but I was in and out in less than 1.5 hours ......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been reports that other regions are requiring this (proof) also. Perhaps because the US Consulate just requires your word and no proof of real pension income. Too bad that the letter of income is not excepted standalone as the Consulate is, well, expensive and a pain to go to for some. Oh well, fortunately only once a year.

So, what kind of doccumentation would I need from the US Social Security administration?? Can I get a statement directly from the SSA and avoid going into the con$ulate??

From what I was told the affidavit is still needed for them to ACCEPT what you present .... When I go back I m going to ask again . I will say the officer I had this time was not the same one I got last year . I really can't blame them for wanting more proof as an affidavit is so easy to obtain from the consulate . What kills me is the $50.00 I dont know how they can justify charging that much.

From what I was told the affidavit is still needed for them to ACCEPT what you present .... When I go back I m going to ask again . I will say the officer I had this time was not the same one I got last year . I really can't blame them for wanting more proof as an affidavit is so easy to obtain from the consulate . What kills me is the $50.00 I dont know how they can justify charging that much.

$50? What a bargain! Try asking any Brits the cost of even the simplest thing from the Consulate - a stamp and a signature on an avidavit (they didn't even have to read) just set me back 2650 baht and if I recall an income letter is about the same.

It all adds up (and it hurts).

someone correct me if i am wrong, but when you raise your right hand to swear to the affidavit that costs $50 you testify or swear under penalty of perjury that your income is ??? and i also believe that Thailand Immigration requires a minimum $ amount in order to qualify for a retirement visa?????

I did hear that Immigration was going to ask for additional proof of income from people that didn't look like they had the means to support themselves. It should only happen to a select few.

Mark Zuckerberg better not show up in his T shirt, jeans and sandals.biggrin.gif

I did hear that Immigration was going to ask for additional proof of income from people that didn't look like they had the means to support themselves. It should only happen to a select few.

Mark Zuckerberg better not show up in his T shirt, jeans and sandals.biggrin.gif

All this dressing up to the hilt for immigration is an urban myth.

As long as you're tidy and not smelly, they don't really care.

And I don't think a visa can be refused on the grounds of BO anyway. wink.gif

All this dressing up to the hilt for immigration is an urban myth.

As long as you're tidy and not smelly, they don't really care.

And I don't think a visa can be refused on the grounds of BO anyway. wink.gif

Even though I have the papers with me they never ask for them.

I think it helps to have a manila folder or envelope that looks like it could have the papers.

Seems to me this was beat to death about 3 or 4 months ago.B)

They could always ask in the past. They can ask now if they want. They can ask later if they want. So far, it seems they are certainly not asking everyone or probably not the majority, BUT if they ask you and you're unprepared and/or you lied to your embassy, you are impacted 100 percent.

someone correct me if i am wrong, but when you raise your right hand to swear to the affidavit that costs $50 you testify or swear under penalty of perjury that your income is ??? and i also believe that Thailand Immigration requires a minimum $ amount in order to qualify for a retirement visa?????

You're correct, but apparently some people have no qualms about lying to an American State Dept official and that's messed it up for the rest of us.

Hubby did his retirement visa extension last month, using an income letter from the American consulate. No problems; no questions. He was fairly well-dressed, which may be an "urban myth", but never hurts anything here in Thailand. No suit and tie, but neat well-pressed long trousers and newer shirt, with buttons, sleves and a collar (also well pressed). He did have a folder with back-up documents, so maybe the "urban myth" about looking like you have the documents is correct. Also (drum roll please, I'm about to start another "urban myth") he arrived with an appointment via their new on-line queue system and spent most of the meeting with the immigration lady talking how long ago he got the appointment and how popular the on-line queue system has become. Maybe they figure if you're organized enough to use the on-line appointment system, then you aren't going to attempt to obtain a visa under false pretenses (which is what someone is really doing when they lie about their income at the American consulate.)

You're correct, but apparently some people have no qualms about lying to an American State Dept official and that's messed it up for the rest of us.

I think jarhead might think that you have to show cash money to get the extensions. That is only one way. You can also show income via the embassy letters without showing cash money (or a combination).

Not sure how it has messed it up for the rest of us. We have the papers.

If I remember this idea was affecting Canadians and Australians also.

I think like a previous poster said it is just a spot check to get Thai Visa going.

I made some of that up.

I think Americans who choose to go the income

letter path for visa extension should consider

that misrepresentation to the US Counsel is

covered under United States Code:

Title 18 U.S.C. 1001, Crimes and Criminal Procedures, makes it a criminal offense, subject to a maximum fine of $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than 5 years or both, to knowingly and willfully make or cause to be made any false or fraudulent statements or representations in any matter within the jurisdiction of any agency of the United States

I can't imagine the US Government going through the time, trouble and expense to try someone for perjury over something so minor - and possibly losing and getting sued. They have much more important things to do such as busting someone for a joint or two. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Does anyone know exactly what documentation is acceptable and what is not? I will be applying for my first extension based on retirement next year. I am planning on using the income method. I have more than enough income from my investments. If asked for additional documentation, I was planning on providing copies of my US bank statements which show sufficient income being deposited, and ATM withdrawals into Thailand. Will this suffice? Thank you.

Does anyone know exactly what documentation is acceptable and what is not? I will be applying for my first extension based on retirement next year. I am planning on using the income method. I have more than enough income from my investments. If asked for additional documentation, I was planning on providing copies of my US bank statements which show sufficient income being deposited, and ATM withdrawals into Thailand. Will this suffice? Thank you.

This is exactly what I meant when I said Americans who lie at the consulate mess it up for the rest of us. There is no clear definition of what is acceptable and the American consulate doesn't have the manpower to research the veracity of all the various sources of income of its citizens. America isn't like some of the European countries where everyone participates in a national pension pension and the documentation is the same for everyone, with the data available on a computer system that is available to consulate personnel.

What a nightmare it would be if Thai immigration not only asked for documentation, but wanted each page of that documentation "certified" by the American consulate -- remember they charge $50 for each notary stamp. For example, Hellodolly has mentioned in the past that he has three sources of retirement income -- that would be $150 for the three pension statements plus another $50 for the sworn statement listing the total.

Wonder if there would be any advantage to bringing along a lawyer to smooth the process? I have a good working relationship with a Thai lawyer that is well known and quite friendly with with the officers at CM immigration.

No donot waste your money, either you qualify and have the documentation or not. it really isn't that hard.

This is exactly what I meant when I said Americans who lie at the consulate mess it up for the rest of us. There is no clear definition of what is acceptable and the American consulate doesn't have the manpower to research the veracity of all the various sources of income of its citizens. America isn't like some of the European countries where everyone participates in a national pension pension and the documentation is the same for everyone, with the data available on a computer system that is available to consulate personnel.

What a nightmare it would be if Thai immigration not only asked for documentation, but wanted each page of that documentation "certified" by the American consulate -- remember they charge $50 for each notary stamp. For example, Hellodolly has mentioned in the past that he has three sources of retirement income -- that would be $150 for the three pension statements plus another $50 for the sworn statement listing the total.

I don't get that it would be so difficult for the Consulate to ask for some sort of proof of regular income. For example, when getting a multiple entry 'O' visa at the Consulate in Amsterdam annually, it's required to provde bank statements (3 consecutive seems sufficient) showing some kind of monthly pension payment. They can see straightaway which organization has made those payments and what amount and kind of pension is involved.

Enough complaints to Thai Immigration and they may not accept what they are accepting now for U.S. people. They now accept an affidavit, which is a notary saying that you vow what you put in the declaration is true.

If you want something that could actually resemble income verification, try this: http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/ . Then you have to get it within the time limits that Thai Immigration would accept.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I can't imagine the US Government going through the time, trouble and expense to try someone for perjury over something so minor - and possibly losing and getting sued. They have much more important things to do such as busting someone for a joint or two. :whistling:

Normally I would agree but.....

These days in the US the IRS is looking under every stone for revenues.

Which is why they are forcing foreign banks that have a US intermediary bank

to provide info on US passport holders accounts. Both Thailand & of course Swiss accounts have been

recently pounded.

As such if you swear to a certain income you do not have & the IRS ever takes note....

Well they may want a chunk of that imaginary claimed income in taxes.

That kind of perjury they prosecute daily.

They do not need to have you tried in a court of law....They are the IRS

They can just freeze any US assets you have along with any foreign assets in banks they have pull with.

Not to mention sending a note along to deny your next passport renewal.

Also to my knowledge you cannot sue them if they make a mistake

These days of financial collapse will not go easy although I imagine they have

much bigger fish to fry...for now.

Edited by flying

Guess we Brits must have it easy compared with the Yanks and Aussies. I quick trip to the consulate for letter, backed up with tax statements etc. agreed, expensive yes but only once per year. The to IMG CM 15 minutes with the officer and out, no problem.

"spent most of the meeting with the immigration lady talking how long ago he got the appointment and how popular the on-line queue system has become".

On my last extension, I arrived 5 minutes before and, was called at 1000 (my appointment time) and was finished at 1015.

I had to hang around for something else, but noticed no-one at that particular desk for at least half an hour, before I left.

So it seems that the app't system is good for us and good for them - fair enough, but maybe she could have squeezed another two in without appt's.

Edited by uptheos

As such if you swear to a certain income you do not have & the IRS ever takes note....

Well they may want a chunk of that imaginary claimed income in taxes.

That kind of perjury they prosecute daily.

They do not need to have you tried in a court of law....They are the IRS

They can just freeze any US assets you have along with any foreign assets in banks they have pull with.

Not to mention sending a note along to deny your next passport renewal.

And a huge asteroid may hit the earth dooming us all.